PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone do for a "living"

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 09:13
It seems many of you here are out on trips all the time. I was wondering what everyone does for a living that allows them to be trekking all-the-time.

Like "fiddlehead"...he has been all over the world and has done some of the most awesome trails in the world. Tipi....he seems to be out ALL THE TIME.

And for you career/family/with kids people out there. How many nights do you spend on any trail in a given year.

I am divorced and have a son(who likes to hike). I pay a too damn much in child support($400) p/month. I work a ****ty job with the absolute ****tiest hours making a silly $13 an hour. I find myself in a funk with a serious case of wanderlust. It is time for a job/career change!

modiyooch
05-10-2009, 09:23
work hard; play hard. took a long break to raise kids. recently returned to trail. hoping to finish soon. been attempting to complete trail since 1979. I initially moved south to hike the southern section on weekends, holidays and vacations. Spent many an Easter in the woods, even with the kids. Had to pack in easter bunnies and baskets.

professional job

fiddlehead
05-10-2009, 09:28
I worked hard in my "younger years" (from teenager to 38 years old)
Bought a house, fixed it up (working till 11 pm every night) and sold it to buy another one, fixed it up too, paid it off, got divorced, started traveling. (paid off the ex to keep the place)
Once i started traveling, i rented it out, so that's some income.
Then i started a business selling long underwear and transposed it to an e-commerce business in the 90s.
In the meantime, I did many things for money to hike: selling jewelry, playing music, teaching guitar, DJ'ing, carpentry work (was a carpenter for 20 years), roofing, cement finisher.
Presently, I'm still making money in the music business and my e-commerce website, as well as building websites for people, advertising online for people selling and renting homes here in Phuket, making videos for the school my son is enrolled in for a deal in the tuition, installed a kitchen last year, etc. etc. etc.

In other words, whatever it takes to make money. I'll do (and have done) just about anything. Hiking has taught me lots and one of the things is that you can do anything once you put your mind to it. If that means selling jewelry on a college campus lawn on beautiful days, hey, i can do that.

But, having a kid sure changes my priorities. And life is priorities.
It used to be hiking. (and i've done my share)
Now, fatherhood is somewhat tougher i think although they are both lots of fun at times and very challenging at times.
I'm looking forward to the day when i can do both.

One rule i've always had: Never go in debt. (except for my first car in 1967 and my 2 homes, i never have and hope i never will again.) I learned the law of compounding interest a long time ago and try to stay on the positive side of THAT.
Rule #2: Don't pay for a night's stay in a hotel or similar if you have a choice. (stealth camping in towns in Europe has found me in many strange circumstances already)

Basically: Live well beneath your means and be willing to do anything to fuel your passion.

Hooch
05-10-2009, 09:35
Registered Nurse and Registered Respiratory Therapist/Respiratory Care Practitioner. I work 3 12 hour shifts a week and I self-schedule the days I want to work. Gives me plenty of time to get out and do the things I want to.

Egads
05-10-2009, 09:40
Construction management. Work & family limits me to <20 nights per year on the trail, but I get in a lot of DIIADs

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 09:50
by the way egads...I was checking out your pics! Love the one of the wifey and the girls! I bet that one is on your "desk", and I bet it brings a smile to your face every time you look at it!

Fiddlehead, you and I have kinda talked about this before. And yes kids definitley change the logistics of hiking. I still havent been able to get him out for even an overnighter yet :datz!! We have done a couple day hikes this year. Thanks for the input.

garlic08
05-10-2009, 09:59
I'm self-unemployed.

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 10:03
There is another I forgot to mention....Garlic.....How in the hell do you survive. Do you just work to...save money to.....not work.... and hike. Or are u secretly independantly wealthy, come upon some money?

Speer Carrier
05-10-2009, 10:51
Retired. Comfortably well off.

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 10:52
Retired. Comfortably well off.

LOL....U love rubbin that in dont ya!!!!:D

Rockhound
05-10-2009, 11:04
Full time slacker since 2003.

Jim Adams
05-10-2009, 11:39
Paramedic. 20-40 nights / year.

geek

Ladytrekker
05-10-2009, 11:43
I work at a Medical Examiner's Office (yes the city morgue) and please do not believe the hollywood antics on CSI, etc, to be truly how things are done. Although love the shows it is hollywood not reality. It is definitely not that glamourous.

Lemni Skate
05-10-2009, 12:43
I'm teaching high school math which gets me off at Easter and Christmas and Summers.

I used to like it, but I absolutely hate it now. I just plod through to get to the weekend.

I really need to change something.

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 12:54
SUmmer-CNA,Graphic Artist-WInter-Oil/Gas Tech,North Slope Alaska

Reid
05-10-2009, 12:56
Part owner in a newspaper called Jailbirds. And I work for UPS

Pedaling Fool
05-10-2009, 13:16
Retired Navy, missile/gun technician. Haven't worked since I retired in 2005, but I've been thinking about getting a job, considering contract work overseas.

Kanati
05-10-2009, 13:24
Retired from GE at the end of 2001. Draw my SS and have a limited consulting business which takes me to many interesting places. Presently have projects lined up in Charlottesville, VA, Chicago, Portland, OR and Edmondton, Alberta, and I plan to return to ME in July to finish the AT.

Kerosene
05-10-2009, 13:38
Chief technology officer for a teleradiology company, which keeps me on the road and pretty busy. I backpacked a lot in the 70's, then moved out to Michigan where night school, work, house, and family pretty much took up my time but I never forgot about being out for days or weeks at a time. I chose to finish the AT as a life goal back in 2000 and continue to chip away a week a year, but unfortunately I haven't been able to interest my daughter or wife to join me.

I wholeheartedly agree with fiddlehead's suggestion to live beneath your means; it makes it a lot easier to live your life if you don't get into a hole in the first place.

Note that there are a number of healthcare professionals who have posted. Nurses are in increasingly high demand, and while the pay level is not always where it should be, you can typically get a job in any part of the country. I think that if I had it to do all over again I'd go into physical therapy.

garlic08
05-10-2009, 13:40
There is another I forgot to mention....Garlic.....How in the hell do you survive. Do you just work to...save money to.....not work.... and hike. Or are u secretly independantly wealthy, come upon some money?

No, I didn't invent Google or anything, just worked hard for 25 years at everything from rodding sewers to electrical engineer to firefighter. Early retirement (age 40), most self-funded. Got a small pension from a fire department, and big savings from an engineering career that I worked hard at not spending. I live in a small paid-for house, don't have a car, cellphone, or cable bill, have a fantastic thru hiker wife (GreasePot, AT '02, PCT '04), take cheap trips ($3000 AT thru last year), live well and simply and stay active and healthy.

It's un-American, I know, but the best thing I ever did was to stay out of debt. I've never made a car payment, made less than 60 mortgage payments before paying off the house. It can be done. It's easier than a thru hike, in my opinion.

sly dog
05-10-2009, 13:55
I work in a hospital on the X-ray equipment, I emit a yellow glow so I dont need any headlight. I take my vacation time on the AT. I usually spend one weeks vacation with the woman usually in a national or state park,SMNP, Acadia,Outer banks...etc but the other 2 or 3 weeks I hit as much of the trail as I can, also extended weekend trips. If I start working for GE, Philips or some other radiology vender I am going to make my attempt of a thru in between jobs as long as my bills are paid up, getting a sign on bonus would help. Till then I am sectioning the entire trail a state at a time.

mister krabs
05-10-2009, 14:03
Information security engineer, two kids 7 & 3

I get out about 10-12 weekends a year, some of them 3 or 4 days long. Some of those are hiking, some are canoe or sail camping and 2 are cub scout car camping.

I highly recommend career change if you're making crap money and working crap hours. I used to be a chef, made OK money, but worked 60+ hours a week. Best thing I ever did was change careers. What have you got to lose?

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 14:04
Garlic you are living my Dream dude except i would be living in the Wilderness of AK,thats my plan ,man work hard and then play

Lone Wolf
05-10-2009, 14:07
i buy and sell untaxed liquor

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 14:10
Lone Wolf Thats Awesome

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 14:12
I Only Work On The Slope For 3 To 6 Months This Year I Worked 3 And A Half Months,and Came Home With Alot Of Money,i Dnt Got A Car I Use Buses Friends Family,for Rides,so I Save Money,but When I Work Up There I Work Almost 15 Hours A Day,once Or Twice Works 18 Hours And Got 6 Hours Sleep,its Fun Working In Artic Temps--70 Through -90

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 14:26
Information security engineer, two kids 7 & 3

I get out about 10-12 weekends a year, some of them 3 or 4 days long. Some of those are hiking, some are canoe or sail camping and 2 are cub scout car camping.

I highly recommend career change if you're making crap money and working crap hours. I used to be a chef, made OK money, but worked 60+ hours a week. Best thing I ever did was change careers. What have you got to lose?

I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. My relationship with my son is going in the ****ter because I work from 2-10:20p Tuesday thru Saturday(how is that for no vaseline). So, when it comes to anything that involves my son....I cant do it(baseball,scouts, ect). I cannot up and quit or be fired from my job because of child support. So I get my son Sundays and Mondays....which isnt so bad, but he goes to school during the day on mondays and I get him at 6 on sundays. So, I get about 3-5 quality hours a week with my son. I dont blame him for not wanting to stay with me at this point.

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 14:29

Need someone to run guns for ya also!:D

vonfrick
05-10-2009, 14:34

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Downhill Trucker
05-10-2009, 15:20
I sell taxed liquor!

Reid
05-10-2009, 15:24
It's un-American, I know, but the best thing I ever did was to stay out of debt. I've never made a car payment, made less than 60 mortgage payments before paying off the house. It can be done. It's easier than a thru hike, in my opinion.

I only know you as far as you've mentioned above, but you sound like a great American to me!

wakapak
05-10-2009, 15:31

Wish i has stayed out of debt! although my only debt is school loans, which i guess is better than most in our society these days. I too have never made a car payment, dont own a house, and i dont run up credit cards to beyond what i can pay.

as far as what i do for a living to be able to go and hike....at the moment i'm unemployed, and i find hiking is cheaper than staying at home (sometimes i tend to spend money on things out of boredom). in the past, every time i headed out on a thru-hike, i quit whatever job i was working at...total jobs quit for my thru's is 4. I kinda have the philosophy in life that i dont want life to live me, i want to live my life, however that is!

Petr
05-10-2009, 15:34
If your goal in life is to have the time and disposable income to hike as much as possible, I'd like to nominate education-related cost to the list of acceptable debt. This only really applies to education/training in fields that pay well and allow flexibility. Probably a bad idea to rack up 100 G's worth of debt while majoring in "Germanic Tribal Dance" at a pricey liberal arts college, but there are plenty of fields that make sense. Medical professions, as many have noted, fit the bill well.

If you're younger and academically inclined, there's always doctoring. My goal is to be a part-time doctor (yes, it does exist). Pays double what traditional doctoring does, and you get to hop around the country/world for gigs lasting anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 months with food and lodging covered.
If you're a bit longer in the tooth but have a bachelor's degree in almost anything, there's accelerated 1 and 2 year schools for nurses, of which there's a perpetual shortage. I could be wrong, but I think EMT training only takes a year or so and you don't need a bachelor's degree.

garlic08
05-10-2009, 15:51
Garlic you are living my Dream dude except i would be living in the Wilderness of AK,thats my plan ,man work hard and then play

Thank you! Best of luck to you.

If you're younger and academically inclined, there's always doctoring. My goal is to be a part-time doctor (yes, it does exist). Pays double what traditional doctoring does, and you get to hop around the country/world for gigs lasting anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 months with food and lodging covered.
If you're a bit longer in the tooth but have a bachelor's degree in almost anything, there's accelerated 1 and 2 year schools for nurses, of which there's a perpetual shortage. I could be wrong, but I think EMT training only takes a year or so and you don't need a bachelor's degree.

Part-time doc sounds cool. But from what I've seen in the EMT field, an EMT-P (paramedic) would have a hard time funding a hiking life (and staying certified). EMT-B (basic) doesn't pay enough.

saimyoji
05-10-2009, 15:54
bikini model

ChinMusic
05-10-2009, 16:01
Many assume I play the violin.

daddytwosticks
05-10-2009, 16:24
County property appraiser. Don't get out near as much as I wish despite living so close to the southern part of the trail. Most of my hikes are day hikes, overnighters on weekends and so far, several 3 day hikes over long weekends. Over an extended Memorial Day weekend this year, I'll take my longest...4 days! WooHooo! I have a loving, understanding dear wife who is currently very sick and two teen-agers: one in HS and the other just finished up his first year in college...I take time to hike when it becomes available...lately, it hasen't been much...:(

man2th
05-10-2009, 16:47
F.F. Paramedic, and with the Coroners office....i will see you eventually..lol work 24 hr shifts twice a week get to do what we want on our days off.

Ratchet-SectionHiker
05-10-2009, 16:50
I am a self-employed construction contractor/ handyman. I have the lowest class license available in our state (VA) which saves me alot on insurance, licensing, and taking courses to keep up with code. I do everything from mow lawns to frame houses and absolutely anything in between. Some of my jobs last 20 minutes while some have lasted 6 months +. If I can't find work for myself, I just work on another crew for usually around $15 an hour as many or as little hours as I want. My wife is a chemist and she works a rotating swing shift. Usually she has a 3 day weekend at least once a month and I schedule my work around it. We also live about 20 minutes from the AT in the Pearisburg area so it is easy for us to do day hike and overnight sections in that area. Our "family" vacation this year is for the week of July 4th where her work is shut down for a week and hopefully we are doing Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar (whole Maryland AT section) We bought a house early in life and actually looking to sell it so we can start planning for the Peace Corps.

Hooch
05-10-2009, 17:12
........Medical professions, as many have noted, fit the bill well........Ayup.

........My goal is to be a part-time doctor (yes, it does exist).......The man's right. We've got docs at work who work a week long rotation, then off a week. Not a bad gig, getting to work about half the year.

Ladytrekker
05-10-2009, 17:26
Need someone to run guns for ya also!:D

and I can drive fast and would make a great tester

medicjimr
05-10-2009, 17:52
Full time paramedic rotating shifts every other weekend off. And two 16 hr shifts every other weekend either Sat or Sun.

modiyooch
05-10-2009, 18:01
Programmer/Analyst. Self-employed for the last 19 years. Have my cake and eat it too. Three kids in college. No debt. Priority is travel whether by foot, car or plane. I drag my family along with me, as much as possible.

If I win the lottery, I will still show up for work. ok, maybe not in July.

DuctTape
05-10-2009, 18:10
I'm a cook. The pay isn't great, but it's very flexible, there's always work, and you can go almost anywhere.

For example, the dining room of the place I work overlooks the Grand Canyon.

Shutterbug
05-10-2009, 18:15
It seems many of you here are out on trips all the time. I was wondering what everyone does for a living that allows them to be trekking all-the-time.

Like "fiddlehead"...he has been all over the world and has done some of the most awesome trails in the world. Tipi....he seems to be out ALL THE TIME.

And for you career/family/with kids people out there. How many nights do you spend on any trail in a given year.

I am divorced and have a son(who likes to hike). I pay a too damn much in child support($400) p/month. I work a ****ty job with the absolute ****tiest hours making a silly $13 an hour. I find myself in a funk with a serious case of wanderlust. It is time for a job/career change!

I have done a number of different things:
USAF Pilot (flew more than 200 missions in Vietnam)
Lawyer (practiced in a big law firm)
Business Executive (chairman or president of more than 20)
Educator (college president)

I am not currently an employee, but serve on a number of boards.

Anyone who is interested can look at my resume --

http://www.davemcclung.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=40

Some people have enjoyed my "Done That List" --

http://www.davemcclung.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=41

nufsaid
05-10-2009, 18:18
I worked hard in my "younger years" ...

One rule i've always had: Never go in debt.
Basically: Live well beneath your means ...

Listen to this guy (at least this time). You do have to work hard, avoid debt, and live below your income. If you have debt you are a slave to "the man" and it limits your choices. If you are debt free and willing to work to attain your goals, you can have lots of choices to do what makes you happy.

Dr O
05-10-2009, 18:24
unemployed, no debt

modiyooch
05-10-2009, 18:31

http://www.davemcclung.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=41

Ok, I take it back. If I win the lottery, I won't be back to work. I've only done a couple of things on your "done that List". Matter of fact, I haven't even visited all 50 states, yet. Life moves so fast.

Jim Adams
05-10-2009, 18:32
Thank you! Best of luck to you.

Part-time doc sounds cool. But from what I've seen in the EMT field, an EMT-P (paramedic) would have a hard time funding a hiking life (and staying certified). EMT-B (basic) doesn't pay enough.

Paramedic is great...low pay but big demand...take time off long term anytime that I want to...short term schedule is pretty much my choice too. 24hr x 2 days = 5 days off / week.
I can actually keep my certification while on the trail if I do CEU's on line from trail towns.:eek:

geek

Kirby
05-10-2009, 18:35
Full time High School student, soon to be college student.

Hooch
05-10-2009, 18:37
Paramedic is great...low pay but big demand...take time off long term anytime that I want to...short term schedule is pretty much my choice too. 24hr x 2 days = 5 days off / week.
I can actually keep my certification while on the trail if I do CEU's on line from trail towns.:eek:

geekHmmmmmm...........wonder if I can challenge the NREMT-P exam as an RN? :-? Know anything about that Geek?

man2th
05-10-2009, 18:51
i can answer that for ya hooch..no...you cannot take nremt-p as a rn, unless you complete nremt-i, then nremt-p classes first, along with all the required alpabet classes,,,crp, acls,phtls or btls,,and pals ...sorry, but you can bridge from paramedic to rn in one year,,,in that class now, not getting off the truck, just want a backup

garlic08
05-10-2009, 19:14

geek

I stand corrected! (I guess the paramedics I've worked with get into the American Excess way of life just like everyone else.) Way to go, brother, and stay safe out there.

Hooch
05-10-2009, 19:24
i can answer that for ya hooch..no...you cannot take nremt-p as a rn, unless you complete nremt-i, then nremt-p classes first, along with all the required alpabet classes,,,crp, acls,phtls or btls,,and pals ...sorry, but you can bridge from paramedic to rn in one year,,,in that class now, not getting off the truck, just want a backup
Thanks for the answer. Good idea on the RN class, hope it works out well for you. I already have plenty of alphabet soup BLS (and instructor), ACLS (and instructor), PALS, NRP, TNCC, ENPC, and BTLS (with an ATLS audit). I might break down and take a course toward my paramedic one of these days after I get my BSN. But then again, grad school for CRNA sounds pretty good. :-?:D

dmax
05-10-2009, 19:30
Tire factory worker. My wife is a nurse and is pushing me towards this career. I just haven't decided yet. I hate the idea of more school. I went once for computers. I paid off the student loans and now I don't work with computers. I have no desire to do so. I would hate to pay for nursing or something simular and find myself in the same boat, not wanting to do it.

Hooch
05-10-2009, 19:34
Tire factory worker. My wife is a nurse and is pushing me towards this career. I just haven't decided yet. I hate the idea of more school. I went once for computers. I paid off the student loans and now I don't work with computers. I have no desire to do so. I would hate to pay for nursing or something simular and find myself in the same boat, not wanting to do it.
Try making a short term investment in a CNA (Certifieed Nurse Aide) class. Once you finish the class, get a job in a hospital to see how you like it. If you decide it's for you, then go on to nursing school. If it's not, then you can always find something else to do. Most CNA courses are reasonably priced and don't last very long at all. Some places you can get it done in as little as 2-3 weeks.

Gaiter
05-10-2009, 19:41
freelance backstage (specifically lighting) technician.... kinda make my own schedule... i say yes or no to gigs as i please, they don't have to know that i'm saying no to go hiking, i just say i'm booked, not hard to work a 40 hr week in a 3 days (done in 2 a few times), but unfortunately the economy really has slowed things down, making it harder to say no.... speaking of which i gotta go

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 20:01
I have been throwing the nursing thing around for quite a while. If your still keeping track of this thread hooch....how hard is it to be a trauma nurse. Tell me about the CNA thing also?

I might even have jump start! I was a chem major in college and might be able to apply some of that towards a nursing degree. Another bonus is there is local kent state branch that offers the degree.

Dawn
05-10-2009, 20:02
I got a leave of absence from my job at IBM to hike the AT in '07. When I got back I started working at home as a Project Manager. I don't get out there as much as I'd like to, but I do get out there hiking somewhere when I can.

Hooch
05-10-2009, 20:12
I have been throwing the nursing thing around for quite a while. If your still keeping track of this thread hooch....how hard is it to be a trauma nurse. Tell me about the CNA thing also?

I might even have jump start! I was a chem major in college and might be able to apply some of that towards a nursing degree. Another bonus is there is local kent state branch that offers the degree.
Typically, but not always, trauma nursing requires a couple year's experience in either a step down unit or other ICU that will take new grads. You have to keep up on your continuing education and all your certifications, etc to be effective at it. Not to mention that you have to be a quick thinker (I know, no jokes please), pretty well organized and very technically proficient. If you already have another degree, check into a "second degree" program at the colleges near you. There are more and more of them out there. I came into nursing as a second career, but without a degree to start with. I've been very fortunate that nursing has suited me as well as it has. I really do enjoy my work. Best o' luck to ya. :sun

Pokey2006
05-10-2009, 20:13
Burned out newspaper reporter. Now waiting tables two nights a week. In TN, where livin' is cheap, that's all you need to do to make the rent.

Freelance and self-employment work are two ways to go. Done that, too. Now I'm looking into teaching to have summers off to go hiking and traveling while earning enough to pay the bills.

Stay out of debt, keep overhead low and your life as simple as possible. I don't have cable, refrain from using the AC, drive an old beater with good gas mileage, visit the museum on days when it's free, etc. etc.

BTW, $400 a month is not "too much" to pay in child support. Whatever you do, don't be a deadbeat! This from a single mother still waiting for the $28 grand the ex owes...

jesse
05-10-2009, 21:20
I recently went back to work on a towboat pushing barges on the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. Work 2 weeks on 1 week off. If one opted for 4 weeks on and two weeks off, they could have 8 two week vacations a year. Pay isn't bad. After about 6 months you could make around $60K/year. Is the perfect job for a section hiker.

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 21:30
That is why I pay 400 a month in child support. Because of all the dead beat dad's who dont want to spend time with there children, or provide for them.

I understand where you are coming from and sorry if I offended you. I wanted 100% shared parenting. I was more than fair with my x-wife. As a matter of fact I made her finish her degree while I worked 2 n 3 jobs to pay for the credit cards, n school loans she had racked up before we were even married, plus payed for our mortgage and the rest. Please dont group me into the group of guys who dont spend time with or keep care of their children. I have never met my father, and he never paid my mother a dime.

Pokey2006
05-10-2009, 21:37
I don't get offended. Just sayin' is all.

The hiking lifestyle is not easy when you're trying to provide for children at the same time. I couldn't do half the stuff I've done in the last couple of years when my daughter was little, nor would I have been able to get away with working only two days a week. It gets easier as the kids grow up.

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 21:43
That is why I take him with me! He is a little hiker, and likes it alot. Has had sore feet several times, and still likes to get out there. My current job situation doesn't allow me to be the dad I want to be! I only get my son 2 days a week....that sucks!

mindi
05-10-2009, 23:35
I work at a crap job(I make less than you). I live way below my means and save all my pennies until I have enough for a trip/hike/what have you, and then I quit or take time off and go do it. Then I go back to work and start saving again.

The thing is, I don't have children and I'm not responsible for anyone but myself. If I were, it would certainly change things.

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 23:39
Heya mindi.....thanks for the post....How them frogg toggs treating ya!?

Jim Adams
05-11-2009, 00:19

Hooch,
man2th is exactly right. If you were an EMT then you could challenge the Paramedic exam but you have to have the EMT rating first. Most Paramedic skills are covered in nursing but you have to learn and be tested with the EMT skills such as extrication, immobilization, pt packaging, scene safety, etc. All of the alphabet certs that you list will certainly help you with the paramedic cert but are (in Pa.) only required by the med command hospital for med command status. They are not required to obtain a paramedic certification.

geek

CowHead
05-11-2009, 07:15
Registered Nurse Mon-Fri 16 years to retirement then hit the trails of American AT first, PCT second I want to hike in every state anyone else out the class of 2025

CowHead
05-11-2009, 07:21

Been a nurse going on 20 years the pros or
1. can always find work
2. can always find work

Cons
Have to work with women
ps this is a joke do not want to offend women lol

Newb
05-11-2009, 08:54
<<< Somali Pirate.

Jayboflavin04
05-11-2009, 08:59
Yeh....I think nursing is the only current job were having a penis is a bonus.

chelko
05-11-2009, 09:19
Freelance Commercial Photographer. Specialize in food photography for advertising and packaging. Easy to schedule time off. Try to go out at least one weekend every month and do 2 weeklong trips every summer with my kids, 21, 17, 11. Lucky that my wife and kids will hike with me several times a year.

JAK
05-11-2009, 09:19
I think I know what you meant by that. It's good that there are more male nurses. They definitely add something and their extra strenght often comes in handy. It's probably a good thing that you aren't one of them though. ;) It's a pretty rare calling for anyone really.

JAK
05-11-2009, 09:22
I'm an engineer, finishing my Masters degree, trying to work my way back in. I took a detour into information technology for awhile. I'm sort of a jack all trades and suck equally at everything kind of dude.

Jayboflavin04
05-11-2009, 09:38
Yeh, I probably should clear that up....meaning men are a minority in the nursing field.....so i have an advantage because of my twig and berries.

JAK
05-11-2009, 09:44
Oh you are one. Cool. You're probably very good at it. Not gonna judge you on one post, and if it was self-depricating that says alot. Keep the faith dude.

Pages
05-11-2009, 15:45
i'm a producer/director for a pbs station in florida.

currently trying to talk management into letting me do a documentary on the appalachian trail so i can take six months off to thru-hike.

if they don't approve it, i'm taking early retirement.

2010 or bust.

tv

Nicksaari
05-11-2009, 19:37
pulled the plug on my Halliburton stock just at the right time, so that enables me to work the ubiquitous job that allows me flexibility and the absence of drug screens. this will come to an end when i get that serious job for the state dept of conservation and recreation, or NOAA. i just need to grow up first.

mudcap
05-11-2009, 21:43
lab-rat for a brewery in Canada.

Now that is living!

Jayboflavin04
05-11-2009, 22:07
Wasnt the movie "Strange Brew" filmed in Canada....EH!

mudcap
05-11-2009, 22:27
Wasnt the movie "Strange Brew" filmed in Canada....EH!

Dunno,my memory is blurry...:D

harryfred
05-11-2009, 22:30
Truck mechanic at a union job. been there long enough to have five weeks vacation every year, four I have to preschedual and one I take one day at a time. Five sick days three personal days and paid Holidays. I worked hard all my life some times up to four jobs at a time. Seemed like every time I got ahead some thing happened and I was back to working out of a hole. The kids are all grown. The wife doesn't care for the great out doors. I try to keep all I need done , done during the week so I have my time for the trail. I live in south central PA a few miles from the AT and surrounded by all kinds of trails.

vonfrick
05-11-2009, 22:33
in between confiscating cellphones and ipods, i try to teach high school chemistry

Blissful
05-11-2009, 22:38
I write. :)

Morpheus
05-11-2009, 22:45
Technical Specialist for a pacemaker corporation. Registered Nurse.
Graduated with BFA in Radio/TV/Film in 80's recession. No jobs except part-time & free-lance got old quick. I knew I'd never have to look far or hard for an RN job.
10 years Open-heart recovery > 4 years Cardiac Electrophysiology lab > 5 years in pacemaker industry.
But I keep that RN license up to date! You never know.

Karrmer
05-12-2009, 06:56
I answer 9-1-1 calls/dispatch sheriffs and get paid way too much to do it, though I shall be quitting soon.

I don't recommend it to anyone ;)

Bad Co
05-12-2009, 07:05
Started in restaurants built a small chain and sold it
became ordained but didn't set right with me making money off the word
currently own a tourist destination,shopping center

double d
05-12-2009, 10:03
I teach Sociology, great to be around college students and have some time off to enjoy hiking. Fiddlehead is correct, stay away from debt like its the worlds worse disease. Why bust your a** to pay off credit card bills? Make your money work for you, not the other way around.

sarbar
05-12-2009, 10:34

I was a single mom from birth to 5 with my son. We did plenty of hiking together - I simply chose a different lifestyle. I worked only enough to pay bills and worked hard at what I did. I had no child support coming in either.

I am self employed now and yes, I do have a husband who supports me in doing what I want. I took my son's dad to court a couple years ago. Ooh, that $223 a month is sooooo much. $400 doesn't buy much these days frankly. Neither does $223. It costs that much to insure my kid! He is currently one month overdue and owes for May. I don't ever count on seeing money from him. And when I do? It goes into a tuition savings plan for the kid.

So change what YOU do, not what your kid is. You change what you can. And that would be YOU. Be willing to live without many things while you make your changes.

So find a new job, a new calling. Make yourself happy and life WILL be better.

Alaskanhkr23
05-12-2009, 10:45
oh god Karmer i did the dispatch thing its sucks man im sorry

jrnj5k
05-12-2009, 10:54
Financial Advisor studying food and nutrition to become a registered dietitian

Bear Cables
05-12-2009, 19:11
Physical education teacher for 33 years and will retire in 2 weeks. More hiking is in the future!

laherb
05-12-2009, 19:19
build electric guitars and manufacture almost all the hardware for them.

ChinMusic
05-12-2009, 20:01
build electric guitars and manufacture almost all the hardware for them.
Sweet. Got any famous customers?

Frau
05-12-2009, 21:15
I teach German, Latin and dual-enrollment Intro, Abnormal and Developmental Psychology. Summers off is THE perq. Nessmuk is a nurse in a juvenile correctional facility, w/lots of benefits, not unlike mine. We work to hike, camp, canoe and kayak. We live 15 minutes from the AT crossing at Petite's Gap, and 5 minutes from the confluence of the James and the Maury. We live beneath our means, altho I am paying for a house. I have no other debt. My 27 year old son (non-hiker) lives here, sharing bills.

We spend large amounts fo time in the GW-Jeff. NF and the Monongahela. Life is GREAT!! We are fortunate.

Frau

laherb
05-12-2009, 21:46
Sweet. Got any famous customers?

there's a nice list. alot of them are really down to earth. check us out: http://www.callahamguitars.com/
:banana:banana

Tinker
05-12-2009, 21:58
I repair bicycles for a modest living (over 20 years and almost that many shops :D).

karo
05-12-2009, 22:05
Auto worker, and former EMT myself, amazing how many are on WB. That makes me feel safer.

Cookerhiker
05-13-2009, 14:37
Retired at 55 (6 years ago) and enjoying every minute. I hiked when I could what with raising family and working a pretty demanding job at US EPA. At retirement, I had accumulated about 800 AT miles. In 2 years, I finished the Trail.

Travel & hiking is pretty much my hobby. Just returned from 15 days in Ireland which included hiking the Bluestack Way and the Sli Colm Cille, both in County Donegal.

Spogatz
05-13-2009, 14:49
I am a computer support manager for the CDC.

bigcranky
05-13-2009, 16:46
Photographer at a small university. Pay is okay, and I get good time-off benefits, though it's busy during prime hiking season so I mostly go in the winter or mid-summer. Now with a kid in college we're still trying to save as much as possible every month -- we're up to about half our paychecks now, I think.

Footslogger
05-13-2009, 17:06
I recently quit my job. So I guess I don't do anything for a living anymore.

'Slogger

notorius tic
05-13-2009, 17:21
Work on a Golf Course that has a Bald Eagle nesting so I am walking an Loveing nature every day.

Nicksaari
05-13-2009, 19:31
its so neat to hear about what you all do for a living, everyone seems so blessed!
i have the feeling that the toil we endure is paid ten fold when we step out onto the trail ... at least for me, work is taking up the time between adventures.

DAJA
05-13-2009, 20:51
Bureaucrat for provincial government until July 24.... Soon to be self employed/subsistence homesteader...:banana

Dingus Khan
05-13-2009, 21:00
RN - like hooch I work 3 12's, try to pick up a shift a week, and make the most of the days off I have.
I live simply and have everything I need to be happy.
Just bought a house though, that might change :)

B Thrash
05-13-2009, 22:03

I bought some of that rot gut from you last Trail Days, hadn't got over the hangover yet.:eek:

man2th
05-13-2009, 23:13
I am a computer support manager for the CDC.

i used to be stationed next door at DCFD, had to run a few calls in there, pre 9/11,downstairs (gulp) gave me the creeps

kayak karl
05-13-2009, 23:41
unemployed:)
been getting jobs here and there. i do historic restoration. next week i get to restore a 1800 covered wagon using the tools of the time. (everything is belt driven) ill get so wrapped up in the history ill probably make $5 an hour, but back then i bet they made that in a week:-?

World-Wide
05-14-2009, 06:32
Active duty Air Force for the last 19 years, 3 months. Plan to retire this coming February at age 39 and focus on a new degree, Land Management. Would love to work with the U.S. Forestry Service. But before all that I intend to attempt a thru-hike in March 2010. When on the trail I'll decide what I want to do when I grow-up! :-)

zoidfu
05-14-2009, 06:35
IT work for a nonprofit company- helping children get healthcare when their parents can't afford it. Well, my coworkers do the legwork, I make sure they're able to.

2011_thruhiker
05-14-2009, 08:45
I am a founder/president of a cat rescue in Virginia (www.shelbys.org (http://www.shelbys.org)) and that is my 24/7 job-we rehab severely abused and terrified cats as well as work with law enforcement all over Virginia in hoarding/collector/kitty mill cases. (it's hard, exhausting mental work and a very dirty job) It's very stressful-we spend a lot of time in court, documenting, medical care, and then when that is all done-we work on spayin/neutering when well enough and then onto behavior modification. We just recently did one case that we pulled 34 Maine Coon cats/kittens out of a really nasty situation with the help of the sherriff's department-30 were really critical with upper respiratory, ear infections-the ear mite infestation was disgusting-we only lost one though-which was amazing. The more I see what these cats suffer through-the less I like people...

Sorry, don't mean to go on and on-it's kind of my life...

Before Shelby's I was involved with EMS for 18 years.

So the trail is my relief, my mental downtime and revitalization-I get very very cranky if I don't get on the trail.....

Serial 07
05-14-2009, 09:05
outfittin' in damascus!

Chenango
05-14-2009, 09:14
I make drugs! :eek: Actually I am a Lab Manager in a pharmaceuticals company. Having 5 weeks vacation helps. Retirement next year will really help with the time. (Well maybe semi-retirement until the stock market recovers a bit. Anyone else out there semi-retired?)

Don H
05-14-2009, 14:31
Firefighter/EMT, 25 years and counting.

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 14:32
i pick up cans and sell meth part time.

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:55
Me Too! Small world. . .:)

superman
05-14-2009, 15:01
i pick up cans and sell meth part time.

Do you give a hiker discount on the meth? Every spring Winter and I circle the block collecting cans and bottles in a large garbage bag as they appear from the snow. My real work is heavy looking on with a propensity to gawk. Retired is a state of mind and my mind is definitely retired.:)

Bidwell
05-14-2009, 17:30
Marketing Manager @ Backcountry.com... the outdoor perks and benefits are great!

Mother's Finest
05-14-2009, 18:24
I own my own business---translate that into I rarely have time to hike.

I am not complaining. As another poster said, I avoid all drug screens and am able to pretty much run my meth business (i mean shoe business) anyway I want.

peace
mf

Panzer1
05-14-2009, 19:09
I've been a COBOL programmer for 30 years.

Panzer

bigcranky
05-14-2009, 19:50
I've been a COBOL programmer for 30 years.

I learned COBOL in high school and they told me that in the very near future no one would ever use it again. That was in the late 70s (in Bucks County, PA, oddly enough.)

boarstone
05-14-2009, 19:54
As little as possible and get paid as much as I can.......:D

DAJA
05-14-2009, 21:22
As little as possible and get paid as much as I can.......:D

So your a bureaucrat too...:D

degail45
05-15-2009, 07:22
retired preschool teacher

Heater
05-15-2009, 09:08

490 Attended a professional football game in Texas Stadium
491 Survived coronary bypass surgery

Must have been a helluva good game!

Shutterbug
05-15-2009, 11:47
490 Attended a professional football game in Texas Stadium
491 Survived coronary bypass surgery

Must have been a helluva good game!

I am so old I used to go to Texas Stadium to watch Roger Staubach play.

LTHotSauce
05-15-2009, 12:49
I have a very interesting job situation. In 8 days I will commission into the active army as a 2nd Lieutenant branched aviation. Yet, due to (I assume) a backlog in army officer schools, my orders don't have me report until march 2010. So when I found that out I thought, perfect time to hike the AT!

Btw they don't pay me or give me health insurance until march..... Hurray for student debt!

buff_jeff
05-15-2009, 15:50
I have a very interesting job situation. In 8 days I will commission into the active army as a 2nd Lieutenant branched aviation. Yet, due to (I assume) a backlog in army officer schools, my orders don't have me report until march 2010. So when I found that out I thought, perfect time to hike the AT!

Btw they don't pay me or give me health insurance until march..... Hurray for student debt!

I'm commissioning next year and hoping I have enough time to hit the PCT. What'd you commission through?

JaxHiker
05-15-2009, 16:05
Wow. No orders until 2010? How's that work? Are you not on active duty until then? That's whack. Congrats to both of you on your upcoming commissions from a lowly E-5.

I'm a software developer (Java).

buff_jeff
05-15-2009, 16:15
Wow. No orders until 2010? How's that work? Are you not on active duty until then? That's whack. Congrats to both of you on your upcoming commissions from a lowly E-5.

I'm a software developer (Java).

Lowly E-5? You guys do all the work!

One girl from here doesn't report anywhere until July 2010 and she commissioned 3 weeks ago.

LTHotSauce
05-15-2009, 17:01
Commissioned through ROTC. I will be in the pseudo army world of a pre assessed officer. Basically I will have the rank but none of the benifits. Also I am not required to report anywhere or do anything until march. Think inactive ready reserve.

Bearpaw
05-15-2009, 17:41
Commissioned through ROTC. I will be in the pseudo army world of a pre assessed officer. Basically I will have the rank but none of the benifits. Also I am not required to report anywhere or do anything until march. Think inactive ready reserve.

When I graduated from the Naval Academy 16 long years ago, there was a backlog for Naval Aviators so intense that many would not start flight school for nearly two years after graduation. However, since they were regular commissions, they received 1-2 year General Unrestricted Line billets where they became special projects officers while awaiting orders to Pensacola.

Sounds like the army is doing some budget cutting.

I didn't have that turnaround time. I reported for The Basic School at Quantico 10 days after graduation.

buff_jeff
05-15-2009, 17:48

I'm in the same boat. ROTC at Pitt.

McKeever
05-15-2009, 18:07
I'm a techie too, Electronics Engineer, former Microsoft employee, and a MCSE. I own a local consulting business but also develop real estate and build spec houses and flip houses. I reinvest by building/owning apartments. Being a landlord and ocassional court cases can be a strain but now I have automagic income and will be able to hike during retirement. It didn't happen overnight but with 20 years of 10-12hr work days and sacraficing weekends. I never predicted that I would be in the horse business, but I developed a farm near Pearisburg that I'm building a log home on now and produced a race colt that's going on the tract this year and will be pimping my colt out for the next 20 years. I'm combining long distance hiking with endurance riding. The farm and log house will host hikers too that need extended services and shuttles in SW VA so the cat's out of the bag now. McKeever is an old family name but I'm really German.

Auntie Mame
05-15-2009, 21:05
Mental health/addictions counselor, work in independent practice 70% of the time, and fill in at a psych unit maybe 20% of the time, and then there's per diem at the drug and alcohol agency. I know, I know, its the kiss of death at a cocktail party when I get asked what I do.. but there you have it. As the economy tanks, I am working more, not less. Of course some of that is because I took 7 months off to hike last season. Now all I want to do is go back out there. VERY tough to take up the harness again after running free.
Cheeers, friends. Mame

the goat
05-15-2009, 21:41

the most noble of professions!

SteveJ
05-15-2009, 22:14
Hey, Bearpaw - I somehow missed this information - didn't know you were a Naval Academy grad - congrats, and thanks for your service to our country!

My son received appointments to USMA and USNA (Navy dive coach at the league championships, who has been there for 30 years, I think, told us that my son was one of the few that he's lost to Army). His goal is Army Aviation - has to be in top 20% of his class or so to be guaranteed that, but on the way - Dean's List both semesters this year as a plebe, and just scored 341 on APFT!

....so I guess, I gotta say it:

Go Army! Beat Navy!

;):D

oh, back to thread topic....

Downsized business exec....MBA....undergrad in Education...back to teaching! taught 7th grade Social Studies this year - next year it's 7th grade Science! and, yeah, things have certainly changed since I was last in the classroom 24 years ago - gotta leave that maple paddle, with holes drilled in it, at home! whoo-hoo for .5 mile commute in the Atlanta area!

Steve

When I graduated from the Naval Academy 16 long years ago, there was a backlog for Naval Aviators so intense that many would not start flight school for nearly two years after graduation. However, since they were regular commissions, they received 1-2 year General Unrestricted Line billets where they became special projects officers while awaiting orders to Pensacola.

Sounds like the army is doing some budget cutting.

I didn't have that turnaround time. I reported for The Basic School at Quantico 10 days after graduation.

B Thrash
05-15-2009, 22:26
I am a founder/president of a cat rescue in Virginia (www.shelbys.org (http://www.shelbys.org)) and that is my 24/7 job-we rehab severely abused and terrified cats as well as work with law enforcement all over Virginia in hoarding/collector/kitty mill cases. (it's hard, exhausting mental work and a very dirty job) It's very stressful-we spend a lot of time in court, documenting, medical care, and then when that is all done-we work on spayin/neutering when well enough and then onto behavior modification. We just recently did one case that we pulled 34 Maine Coon cats/kittens out of a really nasty situation with the help of the sherriff's department-30 were really critical with upper respiratory, ear infections-the ear mite infestation was disgusting-we only lost one though-which was amazing. The more I see what these cats suffer through-the less I like people...

Sorry, don't mean to go on and on-it's kind of my life...

Before Shelby's I was involved with EMS for 18 years.

So the trail is my relief, my mental downtime and revitalization-I get very very cranky if I don't get on the trail.....

My wife and I are cat lovers, thanks for the job you do.

World-Wide
05-15-2009, 23:47

Good luck with your military career and thanks for serving! :) I retire from the Air Force this February after 20 years and your thread forced me to look back to when I first came in. Last year I had a chance to attend commo class at Ft Gordon, combat skills training at Ft Bragg and then 7 months in Baghdad embedded with the 360th Civil Affairs Brigade. It was a pleasure working with the Army!

hoz
05-16-2009, 02:45
I was a union painter 14 years, did lots of high, hard, hot and dirty work. Loved working high...stage and bosun's chair.

Started my own business and went into fine decorating. Hanging paper in exclusive homes.

Got a real estate license and sold for 8 years, also bought.

I'm now a slumlord. I collect rents, fix the places up when they need it and generally try to stay out of the way. Two days ago a big maple blew down and made a mess at one of my properties. I've been lumberjackin lately.

Jo-To
05-16-2009, 11:30
I am a Juvenile Corrections Officer for the county. Paid way more than I should be,and now that I've been here almost 10 yrs I've been building up as much time off as possible. As it stands now between sick time,paid vacation,comp, and personal time I get about 45-50 days off per year. Unfortunetly I'm not able to take all that at once,but by the time I can(in about 3-4 yrs) I will have at least doubled that to around 100-115 days. So until I retire in about 14-15 yrs I'll be sticking to section hiking.

Froggy
05-16-2009, 23:06
Engineer, self-employed. Kind of a niche specialty, doing structural analysis for instrumentation in spacecraft, areospace and research and development.

Eventually invested in some rental property, and morphed into a property manager. And that sure needs a different skill set.

I've been keeping an eye out for the next significant change but it's to hazy to see it yet.

LaurieAnn
05-17-2009, 15:18
Graphic & Website Designer/Author — Self-Employed. I love it and it gives me time to do the things I enjoy. My husband is a Technical Service Engineer in Manufacturing (Tool Presetting).

pknight212
05-17-2009, 21:32
grad student in psychology.....hoping to get some good hiking in before work owns my life!

T-Dubs
05-17-2009, 21:37
Retired teacher. Life is pretty good right now, although I need to get to the woods more often.

TWS

chiefduffy
05-18-2009, 16:55
Retired Navy CPO. Currently driving a bus for people with handicaps. Low pay but very rewarding. They let me off long enough for a 121 mile section this year. Maybe longer next!

garlic08
05-18-2009, 17:00
This describes fairly well the lives of some hikers I know: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30158150/

Engine
05-18-2009, 17:10
I have tried everything from wrestling alligators (somehow not a really career oriented job) to plumbing and electrical work. For the past 19 years I have been gainfully employed as a paramedic for a rural county in central Florida. Six more to go until retirement, but who's counting :D.

Jayboflavin04
05-19-2009, 07:59
Thaniks for the link Garlic. That is a good article.

Well, as I said when I started this thread. I am fed up and need to do something. I did stop at the local employment office today. Not very many opportunities for myself. I also went down to the local Kent State branch, and got all the enrollment crap I needed. I am also gonna set up an appointment with the advisor of the nursing program. I have 93 credit hours as a chem major so I am thinking that I should be able to get through an associates in Nursing pretty quickly.