PDA

View Full Version : Help with Maryland "attractions"

Lemni Skate
05-10-2009, 10:11
On June 8, I plan to start a thru hike of the Maryland section with my kids, Blackspot Pete (9 year old boy) and Marshmallo (11 year old girl). They've never done more than one night with me and I want this to be FUN! I really plan on being pretty leisurely with the 41 miles and don't plan on doing more than ten miles in a day. I don't care if it takes a week. I think of it as a sightseeing tour using the trail and our feet instead of roads and a car.

We will spend June 7 in Harper's Ferry and then head north. Where are neat places to stay (in nearby towns and parks okay camping on trail also great), to get a meal (snack bars, sit down restaurants), to play (swimming would be good to get in), and some great views?

I know a lot of thru-hikers roll thru in a day or two, but can anyone help with family that's just going to mosey up the trail and experience as much of it as we can?

sly dog
05-10-2009, 11:33
Have them look for turtles in the cannal along the C&O tow path, I saw a bunch.Going NOBO you must hit Weverton Cliffs, nice view and very close to trail. Ed Garvey shelter is first one you hit and it is cool, it actually has a loft with plexiglass window, nice place to stay.Gathland has a lot of history to check out, have them read the placks and check out some of the old ruins, again, right on the trail and soda machine which is nice if it is hot out. White rocks has a nice view then you hit Dahlgren campground with showers and nice tenting area. Wasington Monument park is big and has a lotta stuff to see including the monument and a gift shop, again soda machine so take ones or some change. When you leave there on the way to Annapolis rocks is a side trail to Greenbrier State park with hot dogs and simmilar food venders and swimming for a small fee I think. Annapolis rocks is a must see and spend some time there. Also there is a caretaker that they could meet and a lotta camping.After that there is pogo campsite that has spred out campsites but it seems weird that the water source is just down hill from the privy. Lastly there is black rocks with nice views and high rock but i missed that cuz of a thunder storm. When you get to Penn Mar you can call in for a pizza delivery and hang at one of the pavilions. CJ's pizza is 301-241-5052....enjoy!

Lemni Skate
05-10-2009, 12:31
Sounds like a lot of good stuff.

I heard there is a campground about 10 miles North of Harper's Ferry with "treehouses" just a short way off the trail. Anyone know anything about it?

Don H
05-10-2009, 12:51
Maple Tree Campground. Tent camping and tree houses. Nice people own it. I've camped there twice with my Scout troop while doing sections of the AT. It's 0.8 miles road walk to the AT at Gathland S.P. Their website: www.thetreehousecamp.com or call at (301) 432-5585.

middle to middle
05-10-2009, 16:24
Just off the trail overlooking Harpers Ferry just before the walk down there are old dug out depressions in the ground that were used durung war (Civil) as lookout posts to keep an eye on the town.

CowHead
05-10-2009, 17:36
Annapolis rock is nice, more to do in Harpers Ferry than anywhere else along the trail Washington monument is a great history lessen it's a nice hike

Erin
05-10-2009, 18:46
If you have a car, Antietam National Battlefield (Sharpsburg) is a beautiful spot to take the family and has a great ranger program and was very kid friendly when I went thru it in 2006. It is a sobering history lesson, but not too heavy for children to enjoy the beauty of the area.

Lemni Skate
05-10-2009, 21:19
Any civil war stuff is good (we won't have a car, however), we live near the battle of Chancellorsville site and it was BLOODY. We actually hike that a lot and end up talking about how stupid people can be.

Downhill Trucker
05-11-2009, 05:37
Everyone here has given you some great reports. There is plenty of civil war history along the trail here. If you use the PATC guide for more details. Greenbrier S.P. is just off the AT and has a little lake, swimming, concessions, etc. You may want to do a zero there and let the kids swim, shower, eat ice cream, rest, etc. The next day you'll climb annapolis rock (if heading nobo) and you can take great pictures of the kids standing 1000 ft up with the lake at Greenbrier in background.

The best shelters/camp areas are at Ed Garvey and Ensign Cowall. I really like Compton Gap though. Old style shelter, plenty of camping, and strange animal sounds from a farm below (they're quite funny!). Rocky Run is pretty cool also. North of Black Rock I usually get a little bored so I would try to have fun before that. The trail gets a bit rocky north of there as well. There are no fires allowed at Annapolis Rocks. The Old South Mountain Inn at Dahlgren may be one of the best restaurants in MD and they DO accomodate hikers.

Good luck. You'll have a great hike.

Jeff
05-11-2009, 06:33
Midway thru Maryland there is the 1st class Free State Hiker Hostel. It would be a great place to cleanup and re-energize.

http://www.freestatehiker.com/

CowHead
05-11-2009, 07:07
Midway thru Maryland there is the 1st class Free State Hiker Hostel. It would be a great place to cleanup and re-energize.

http://www.freestatehiker.com/

thats a great bit of information thanks

Don H
05-11-2009, 07:21
Rocky Run shelter is brand new and the old log shelter nearby has been restored also there is a nice spring. Just a short distance off the trail it would be a great place to stop for lunch or to spend the night.