PDA

View Full Version : Tearing down and rebuilding

Toolshed
06-16-2004, 10:44
Wqs hiking thru last weekend. They are tearing this shelter down this weekend 6/19 and building a new one (CVATC I think?)

By the way, water is poor there - if NOBO, get water at the pump at Scott's Farm AT Work Center, it SOBO, get water from first stream as soon as you come down Cove Mountain.
Cheers

Sparky!
10-04-2004, 21:32
The olde red barn shelter was torn down when I was there, they maintainers were pouring cement for the new stantions and there was some digging of the new privy. The only thing that was of comfort at that stop wat the mail box with a trail register and the picnic table. Should be a nice shelter even better if they get a reliable water source.

Sparky

The Gnome
02-18-2005, 21:44
Does anyone know if the Darlington rebuild is complete?

With the current spacing of shelters in Pa and the camping restrictions, there is a real hardship if the shelter is not available.

G

LIhikers
02-21-2005, 12:31
Even if the shelter isn't finished yet, there's plenty of room to pitch a tent there. Or at least there was last summer. And it sure was nice to have the picinic table.

daveoleary
05-08-2005, 23:48
I was up at Darlington Shelter site this afternoon.
There is a pile of wood and materials under a big blue tarp,
but I didn't see any signs of a shelter being built yet.

dave

shades of blue
05-11-2005, 13:26
I wrote the ATC at Boiling Springs, PA and this is what they said.

The Mountain Club of Maryland has two 2-day service trips scheduled for June 4-5 and June 11-12. We hope to complete the shelter and privy at Darlington then .The long delay was caused by our not being able to work during various hunting seasons as decreed by the PA Game Commission.If you would like to help ,contact Ted Sanderson - [email protected]
Paul Ives

neo
05-12-2005, 10:44
i stayed in this shelter in oct 2003 when i did a section hike from boiling springs
to delaware water gap.:cool: neo

A-Train
05-23-2005, 23:39
stayed there this weekend and the shelter is not up yet, but plans are to build it in the next few weeks. Tons of tenting around though. The spring is pretty dry already and is down a long rocky trail. Nobo's should stock up at the excellent piped spring a mile before the darlington shelter at the bottom of the hill.

Pootz
02-07-2006, 10:21
Stayed at the new shelter in July 05. Nice shelter, bunks and lots of floor space.

EarlyBird2007
03-28-2006, 16:02
and it's very nice. I hiked by it in February, 2006 with Socks the wonder dog. Someone earlier said CVATC built the new one. As a CVATC member and trail maintainer, I wish we could take credit, but I believe it was Mountain Club of MD. First rate job.

cls
05-03-2006, 14:37
As of May 1 2006 shelter finished except for skylight area. Wind driven rain would blow i on everything in shelter. New privy appeared to be finished but was locked. Old privy available.

cls
05-08-2006, 20:05
Hi Red Ranger,
I've enjoyed reading your entries. I ran into Troye (previous supv. you met @ Ed's party) and she asked how you were doing. Dad called me yesterday and he asked about you too. We sure do miss you down here. Gotta go to get home in time for 24! Stay safe and enjoy the views!
Lots of love,
Rosebud