PDA

View Full Version : Teaching the dog not to bark and when to bark.

Wise Old Owl
05-10-2009, 11:10
Just read your post about making your dog bark only when it needs to go out, please tell me how this is accomplished :)

--Stroller

This takes about six weeks of training, I first pick up a very small food treet like a human food cheese puff, goldfish or mother hubbard bits.

Then when the dog barks for no reason I gently pull him towards me and look him the eye and hold his mouth closed gently and say "NO BARK" (I am teaching him not to bark at all) then wait a bit and give him a treet.

Then after a couple of weeks when then look like they need to go outside, I cock my ear when standing at the door and the dog has being given the command to sit. I put my hand with the treet to my ear and say firmly "Bark!" at first it might only be a wimper, or a growl. SO I bark "Woof!" and give them the treet about two weeks later they bark to go out. Then I dont' let them back in until they bark. Same handsign & motions. They are very visual animals.

Wise Old Owl
05-17-2009, 12:28
Hi folks, I put this out there as a thread because a common complaint is dog barking for other hikers, I was surprised to see no follow up posts after a week.

superman
05-17-2009, 13:39
Winter and I went for days not saying a word to each other. After a while, to liven up the hike I got Winter to sing along with me. Our favorites were "How Much is that Doggie in the Window" and "Winter is a friend of Mine." :)

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-17-2009, 13:42
I watch my parents dog, and I have trained him to bark on command using voice commands and hand signs. He normally will stop barking when you tell him too, and almost never barks unless commanded, but while hiking last weekend we ran in Johnnybgood and spike wouldn't quit until he got a real good sniff of johnny. This has been buggin me all week, any idea what I could have done or could do so on the off chance he gets a whiff he doesn't like I can get him to shut up? It has only happened a few times, when a stranger pulls into the drive way he won't shut up till I go outside, and the one time with Johnny.

cowboy nichols
05-17-2009, 15:54
I and my dog thank you

superman
05-17-2009, 16:28
I watch my parents dog, and I have trained him to bark on command using voice commands and hand signs. He normally will stop barking when you tell him too, and almost never barks unless commanded, but while hiking last weekend we ran in Johnnybgood and spike wouldn't quit until he got a real good sniff of johnny. This has been buggin me all week, any idea what I could have done or could do so on the off chance he gets a whiff he doesn't like I can get him to shut up? It has only happened a few times, when a stranger pulls into the drive way he won't shut up till I go outside, and the one time with Johnny.

Usually if you can get the dog to obey the command "sit" you can re-focus the dog. When a dog gets hyper it looses the ability to hear. That's why you don't allow people to play stupid with your dog. If a dog is completely socialized to people and to other animals, it won't react so strongly to either. One of the things I did to socialize Winter was to spend time in down town Brattleboro, VT. Brattleboro has lots of people and more strange people than most places I've been. :)

singingpilgrim
03-16-2010, 17:52
I'm a little worried about my dog and barking. I definitely am planning on brushing her up on obedience before the trail. She didn't used to bark, but recently (like the past six months) she's decided barking is fun. She doesn't bark at everything, but when she starts she just won't stop! We live in the country, so this is only annoying to us, but I know I have get the habit out of her before the trail.
But I realized when I decided to take her, we'll have to do some specialized training, and I'm planning to hire a professional to help me with a few one on one sessions a few months out of starting the trail, because I know I am a lax disciplinarian and could use some brushing up on that as well.
But over all, she's a good dog. I actually had in my mind when I adopted her (I got her from a shelter a year and a half ago) would this dog be able to hike the AT? She passed all my tests then, as far as socialization goes. Sadly, because we live in the country and too far from town to take her anywhere more than once like every three months she's lost some of that, but I know she can get it back with some work.

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 18:20
thats crazy my dog is almost 3 and i bet i havent heard here bark 30 times

Blissful
03-19-2010, 13:47
Shes' not obedient if she's barking. She needs to know you're the boss and that behavior is unacceptable. I found a small squirt bottle of water when my dog starts the barking routine very effective.

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2010, 21:20
Thank's for adding to this old thread, kind of forgot about it....

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2010, 21:23
I'm a little worried about my dog and barking. I definitely am planning on brushing her up on obedience before the trail. She didn't used to bark, but recently (like the past six months) she's decided barking is fun. She doesn't bark at everything, but when she starts she just won't stop! We live in the country, so this is only annoying to us, but I know I have get the habit out of her before the trail.
But I realized when I decided to take her, we'll have to do some specialized training, and I'm planning to hire a professional to help me with a few one on one sessions a few months out of starting the trail, because I know I am a lax disciplinarian and could use some brushing up on that as well.
But over all, she's a good dog. I actually had in my mind when I adopted her (I got her from a shelter a year and a half ago) would this dog be able to hike the AT? She passed all my tests then, as far as socialization goes. Sadly, because we live in the country and too far from town to take her anywhere more than once like every three months she's lost some of that, but I know she can get it back with some work.

Keep in mind some of the best training video's are on UTUBE...