PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Prepare

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 14:20
whats the best technique to prepare for a long distance hike,Equipment and exercise wise?

Hooch
05-10-2009, 14:30
whats the best technique to prepare for a long distance hike,Equipment and exercise wise?The only real way to be prepared for hiking is to get out and hike. Of course, a big advantage is to bring a high level of physical and cardiovascular fitness to the table to begin with. As far as equipmet/gear go, go on shakedown hikes to get used to your gear, setting it up and how it works. Get out there and find what works for you, doesn't work for you, what you like and don't like, etc.

Pacific Tortuga
05-10-2009, 14:38
Some could train, prepare and gear hunt for years while others smoke, sit in a bar and borrow gear from friends.
I've seen all kind succeed and it works for them.
What works best for you ?
I think for most hikers, Hooch nailed it.

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 14:41
well thats what i do,alot of one day hikes i've lightened my pack some through just being like no i dont want this but i need this and can use it for more than one purpose

ChinMusic
05-10-2009, 14:58
At age 23, assuming your are of reasonably decent shape, IMO you don't need to do much physically. Some moderate weight training to strengthen the muscles of your legs could help prevent an early injury. You will want to take it slower (less miles) in the beginning to allow your body to harden. Don't make the mistake of big miles early even if you "feel fine". Even at your age there are parts that need time to adjust to mountains.

Shakedown trips ARE important. Know your gear and the basic things it takes to camp.

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 15:05
Yeah my knee is a big trouble,surpirsingly im not in bad shape, I smoke-yes i know quite- but ive always done sports and rode dirt bikes,and hiked,and alot of construction-Not good for the back_

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 15:06
i wanna go lighter on my trips so im doing small shakedowns to see what i need and see what i want but dnt need and how many things i could use for multi purposes

garlic08
05-10-2009, 15:56
There's the mental part, too. Some excellent, very strong hikers who are very comfortable with their equipment simply have a hard time staying away from home for more than two or three weeks. I don't know if you can prepare for that. It's just something you'll find out about yourself, like many other things on a thru hike.

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 16:08
i lived in a cabin,with no cable, nothing ,for months in the middle of denali national park,im pretty sure i can handle it,but you never know right?

ChinMusic
05-10-2009, 17:07
i lived in a cabin,with no cable, nothing ,for months in the middle of denali national park,im pretty sure i can handle it,but you never know right?
I would say that was a "good test". I still think starting out slower than what you are capable of is very important. I've read too many trail journals of young/strong folks sustaining over-use injuries from knocking out big miles early.

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 17:17
oh i always start at 5 miles and go upwards

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 17:29
Heres a new question -How to make a stove,dnt like carrying large bottle of fuel,alcohol and what not trying to cut weight

garlic08
05-10-2009, 17:35
Heres a new question -How to make a stove,dnt like carrying large bottle of fuel,alcohol and what not trying to cut weight

You might consider going stoveless, at least for part of the hike. Try bouncing the cooking gear up the trail and see if you like; cereal, tortillas, bagels, cheese, peanut butter, fig newtons, crackers, snickers, etc. It's not necessarily a lot lighter, but much simpler.

Hooch
05-10-2009, 17:35

Alcohol stoves (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Alcohol+stoves) are a great way to go. Many models are very easy to make, while others can be purchased online, etc. A couple of the resident "stovies" here are Skidsteer and Zelph.

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 17:42
yeah skidsteer gave me a good sight,i like bagels and stuff but sometimes speghetti is great after hiking a long time or some oatmeal in the morning or just even coffee,my food and stove are the heaviest things i have i even tweaked my tent if i even decide to bring it and not cowboy camp,ill only bring a support rod to hold it up i dnt care for looks as long as i can sleep in it and not get rained on i dnt care