PDA

View Full Version : First time on the trail...any advice?

moyer48
05-10-2009, 19:38
My brother and I are taking a four day trial run on the trail. We don't plan on getting far...but in a few years I want to hike the entire thing, and I thought this would be a good trial run. We are in good shape, I am 19 and my brother is 17 and about to leave for basic training for the army.

Should we bring a tent?
What kind of food?

Is there any n00b mistakes we should avoid?

Any advice you guys have would be great...thanks a lot and happy hiking

Kevin

bigcranky
05-10-2009, 19:57
Yes, bring a tent, or at least a tarp.

Bring food that is easy to prepare and eat: pop-tarts for breakfast, gorp, PB and tortillas for lunch, jerky, Snickers bars, nuts, -- all kinds of grocery store food is appropriate. If you have a stove, bring something like Lipton's Pasta and Sauce packages for dinner. Or Mac and Cheese with a packet of Tuna. That sort of thing.

Noob mistakes: don't wear cotton, it gets wet and takes forever to dry. Don't hike too fast or too far. Pace yourselves. Enjoy it.

There are good advice pages linked from the front page of Whiteblaze. Look down at the left-hand column.

saimyoji
05-10-2009, 20:00
where are you hiking?

bigmac_in
05-10-2009, 20:21
Check the articles section and hang around here. But be careful what advice you take. Pay attention to who is advising - make sure they actully are experienced hikers.

bigcranky
05-10-2009, 20:34
Pay attention to who is advising - make sure they actully are experienced hikers.

Should I take that badly? :-?

moyer48
05-10-2009, 20:35
I am going to start in West PA and hike either north or south...depends on the advice!

Thanks again

Kevin

jrnj5k
05-10-2009, 20:59
stay hydrated and get shoes or boots that fit you well. dont break i a new pair of shoes on the trail. bring a sleeping bag that is rated for 20-30 degrees. bring two pairs of socks one for hiking and one for sleeping in.....and when your sleeping put your hiking socks inside your shirt against your chest. this will dry them out for the next day. dont wear cotton socks wear smartwool brand socks or something similiar.

Blissful
05-10-2009, 21:01
What a great idea to hike with your brother. I met two sisters doing the trail this year - they were having a blast. If you hike north, you'll fall in with thru hikers who will probably give you all kinds of advice and tell stories.

A tent is a good idea just in case. And protection against ticks. Check the meal and food forum for ideas on food. Try to keep your gear load down. After Memorial Day, 40 degree bag should suffice.

Ox97GaMe
05-10-2009, 21:03
The primary mistake is too much weight. Most 'experts' say to keep your pack weight to no more than 25% of your body weight. However, I tell folks to try to keep it to no more than 35-40 lbs. Anything more than that (especially for summer hiking) is excess. Some folks will tell you to try to keep to under 25. For a first time hiker, this might be difficult, as it usually means spending considerably more on top of the line gear to trim weight. no point in spending a couple thousand dollars for 4 days in the woods.

There is a general rule about hiking to avoid blisters. Blisters are caused by one of 3 things typically...... too far, too fast, too heavy.

Because it will be summer time, the daylight hours will be long. Find places to hike that will allow you to stop during the day and enjoy something besides mileage with a pack. THere are places in PA and NJ where you can hit a good swimming hole every day. Or plan to go into a town and hang out for a couple hours.

Avoid hiking in the heat of the day if possible. I like to get up early and hike for 3-4 hrs, then take a 3-4 hr break during the day, then hike 3-4 hrs in the late afternoon/evening. The break during the day will be refreshing, and make the second set of miles more pleasant.

Also you will likely be in the hiker crowds. Expect the shelters to be full. Plan on tenting/tarping most of the time.

Enjoy your hike.

Hooch
05-10-2009, 21:05
Whatever kind of tent you decide to use, know how to set it up before you leave for your hike. Practice setting it up several times to make sure you can do it quickly and efficiently. There are few things that will make you miserable like fumbling to set up a strange shelter in the rain. And don't take things too seriously. Remember, you're out there to enjoy it. :sun

Blissful
05-10-2009, 21:06
There is a general rule about hiking to avoid blisters. Blisters are caused by one of 3 things typically...... too far, too fast, too heavy.

Enjoy your hike.

I'd also say letting your feet air when you stop and drying out your insoles each night is a big help. And wear the the right socks (and carry several pairs). Moisture management and the right footwear is the key to blister control. And make sure you bring duct tape for hot spots if they do develop.

Jayboflavin04
05-10-2009, 23:23
Everyone here is great for advice(no sarcasm intended). On the other hand maybe you should read the many many threads on here first. Get a good idea of what you are looking at. Then ask more specific questions. Otherwise, you might get overwhelmed with advice.

Have you considered your big three(pack, sleep system, shelter). You could read and shop for HOURS on those three things. This is where you can/will spend most your money on gear. Maybe buzz down to the gear thread and take a look at some gear lists.

Alot of times there isnt really a right answer, but depends on your experience and comfort level.