PDA

View Full Version : hammock escape plan?

volks-man
05-10-2009, 21:12
so i bought the HH asym ULB.............
i am going to sleep out in the yard tonight to get a feel for it. :D

the thought occurred to me earlier while i was setting up and trying to get in my sleeping bag and on top of my sleping pad that in the event you had to get out quick you are really in a pickle!

anyone else think about stuff like that?

do you have a quick way out of the hammock planned in the event that, for example, someone is creeping up to make off with your pack, or some other unlikely scenario?:eek:

take-a-knee
05-10-2009, 21:26
First, welcome to the hanging gang. Now visit www.hammockforums.net

As for getting out of a hammock post haste, don't get into your bag, just drape it over you, quilt style. If you stick with the hammock, you'll eventually wind up with a top quilt, and likely an underquilt. Check out the products sold by Jacks R Better. The three season set comprised of the No Sniveler top quilt and the Nest underquilt is the way to go for a Hennessy.

jrhord6
05-10-2009, 22:17
I recently bought a hammock also, but I decided to start slow and got an ENO single nest hammock to use for day hikes and other opportunities to string it up and relax for awhile. I'm still curious about upgrading to a sleeping system for backpacking, but still can't get the image of me being a hanging tootsie roll for whatever might show up.

volks-man
05-10-2009, 22:43
I recently bought a hammock also, but I decided to start slow and got an ENO single nest hammock to use for day hikes and other opportunities to string it up and relax for awhile. I'm still curious about upgrading to a sleeping system for backpacking, but still can't get the image of me being a hanging tootsie roll for whatever might show up.
amen, brother!
i think you got what i was getting at.

i have read up on the underquilts and overquilts... but i think it rather simplifies the gear list to stick with the sleeping bag. maybe not?:-?

Seeker
05-11-2009, 07:45
get out of tent: sit up, unzip bag, crawl out of bag, unzip mosquito netting, unzip tent flaps, stand up... fight.

get out of HH ULBA: sit up, legs fall through slit... stand up from seated position, either quilt falls off or sleeping bag slides down while you lift hammock over head... fight.

i dunno... do 'em both and time it... guessing hammock's faster...

Valentine
05-11-2009, 07:57
get out of tent: sit up, unzip bag, crawl out of bag, unzip mosquito netting, unzip tent flaps, stand up... fight.

get out of HH ULBA: sit up, legs fall through slit... stand up from seated position, either quilt falls off or sleeping bag slides down while you lift hammock over head... fight.

i dunno... do 'em both and time it... guessing hammock's faster...

I agree, hammock is faster. Gravity is your friend.

stumpy
05-11-2009, 08:26

I kind of like to think of myself as a big human burrito for any bears in the area. I love Mexican food, so I figure bears would like it too!:D

SawnieRobertson
05-11-2009, 08:33
In such an event, is this really any worse than being zipped into a tent or a bivy? We had an incident a few years ago in which a woman beat a would-be intruder to her tent into submission with her hiking sticks. Someone else at some time reported a bear bumping him/her when it ran under the tent. (Must have been a very small bear.) We are always vulnerable out there, any hour of the day or night. Same thing right there in our own homes, at work, on lonely highways, etc., etc. Make the same kind of defensive plans you would for any other place, any other time, in your life.--Kinnickinic

World-Wide
05-11-2009, 08:46
I've worked with a bit of pyrotechnics while training with the Army at Fort Bragg. (Hooah) I'd recommend line half the hammock base with high speed flash chord and keep the ignition fuse by your head. The flash chord burns so fast that if you're laying on your back and you pull the fuse, you'll perform a flawless roll into the ninja squatting stance ensuring you'll scare any SOB meaning you harm!

tlbj6142
05-11-2009, 10:12
The netting rips very easily (which is why the netting is under very little tension). If you had to get out fast and you can't leave thru the entry slit, you can rip the netting very easily. Just pull hard where it meets the hammock body. If you don't have the strength to rip the netting, you won't have it to "defend" yourself once you get out.

Fiddleback
05-11-2009, 10:51
It's an interesting thread as I always like to plan for contingencies. I'd vote that the hammock is a faster exit when compared to a tent with a zippered door. A tarp tent probably beats both. But...

to date, I've not had motivation to get out of my Hennessy quickly. In fact, in the morning I've struggled to find the motivation to get out of the hammock at all...:D

FB

take-a-knee
05-11-2009, 11:09
It's an interesting thread as I always like to plan for contingencies. I'd vote that the hammock is a faster exit when compared to a tent with a zippered door. A tarp tent probably beats both. But...

to date, I've not had motivation to get out of my Hennessy quickly. In fact, in the morning I've struggled to find the motivation to get out of the hammock at all...:D

FB

That is a hammocks' only real downside, you'll sleep later.

ken209
05-11-2009, 11:20

the thought occurred to me earlier while i was setting up and trying to get in my sleeping bag and on top of my sleping pad that in the event you had to get out quick you are really in a pickle!

do you have a quick way out of the hammock planned in the event that, for example, someone is creeping up to make off with your pack, or some other unlikely scenario?:eek:
send it to the zipper queen, she will fix that problem.

russb
05-11-2009, 11:32
1. I like top entry hammocks. Makes for easier entry/exit.
2. Hanging tootsie roll vs one inside a nice triangular package, I don't see the difference 3.5feet above the ground makes for an animal if they are interested in you.
3. I was one of the people who had a bear check me out, I doubt he walked under me, likely he walked right up to the edge of my hammock and sniffed at me. They do the same when you are in a tent (as he/she did with the nearby tent), you just might not feel it because you are a few inches away from the side of the tent.

volks-man
05-11-2009, 19:42

put like that i guess the hammock isn't so bad after all.:)

I kind of like to think of myself as a big human burrito for any bears in the area. I love Mexican food, so I figure bears would like it too!:D
given my ethnic background................
i'd be a kielbasa.:)

I've worked with a bit of pyrotechnics while training with the Army at Fort Bragg. (Hooah) I'd recommend line half the hammock base with high speed flash chord and keep the ignition fuse by your head. The flash chord burns so fast that if you're laying on your back and you pull the fuse, you'll perform a flawless roll into the ninja squatting stance ensuring you'll scare any SOB meaning you harm!
where can i score the flash cord? more importantly....
what does it weigh?:)

Desert Reprobate
05-11-2009, 19:55
send it to the zipper queen, she will fix that problem.

She does a great job. http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/

World-Wide
05-11-2009, 21:24
where can i score the flash cord? more importantly....
what does it weigh?:)[/quote]

Weight: About 12 pounds for a 1000 ft roll:( Scoring It: That's a little tricky. You'll have to sneak onto post, past the ammo sentries/dogs, and then blow the lock on the 3 foot steel door. After that its easy, take as much as you want!:D

boarstone
05-11-2009, 22:21
The netting rips very easily (which is why the netting is under very little tension). If you had to get out fast and you can't leave thru the entry slit, you can rip the netting very easily. Just pull hard where it meets the hammock body. If you don't have the strength to rip the netting, you won't have it to "defend" yourself once you get out.

For my hammock (a DIY job) I leave one side open w/netting, no zipper or nothing, just let it lay on outside of hammock on my enter/exit side I use. Bugs don't get in either. Use a full zipper bag and leave zipper undone enough to exit if need be, usually when anything is "heard".

Spogatz
05-12-2009, 13:06

Kind of makes it hard to get back to sleep after the fight don't ya think.....:-?

Snowleopard
05-12-2009, 13:14
That sounds like what I need to get myself up and awake in the morning. Does it come with 8 or 9 hour fuses?

nelisx
05-13-2009, 08:55

this is EXACTLY what i do. :cool:

laherb
05-13-2009, 20:04

i'm new and i've been thinking the same thing, hopfully i will never need to.

World-Wide
05-13-2009, 21:22
Kind of makes it hard to get back to sleep after the fight don't ya think.....:-?

Oh, forgot to mention you'll be sleeping "cowboy" after the blasting chord ninja maneuver!:D

World-Wide
05-13-2009, 21:25
That sounds like what I need to get myself up and awake in the morning. Does it come with 8 or 9 hour fuses?

I'll have to check on that! LOL...:D

callook66
06-05-2009, 05:33
nice, world-wide! ka-blammo!!