PDA

View Full Version : How much water

Grandma
05-10-2009, 21:50
How much water do you generally carry when you are on the trail?

Pokey2006
05-10-2009, 21:56
All depends on WHERE on the trail, and the current conditions. Most times, esp. in the wet areas where I most of my hiking, I don't carry any, or just one full water bottle which I drink from as I hike. If it's dry or extra hot, I'll carry a second bottle. When I go out to Arizona in a couple weeks, chances are I'll be carrying a LOT more water with me on my hikes.

garlic08
05-10-2009, 22:07
What Pokey said. On the AT last year, a wet one, I often carried none at all, and was surprised at how many hikers carried up to three liters at a time (a full Camelbak) even when their feet stayed wet from all the stream crossings. I would often dump what I had before a steep climb if the data book indicated a spring on the other side.

This is a really good question. Water management is, in my opinion, an important part of keeping a reasonable pack weight.

I've been hiking in Arizona this year, and even with up to 40 miles between water sources, I will not carry more than six liters. I met a very experienced desert hiker out here the other week, and he can comfortably hike 40 miles in the heat with only four liters. I can't do that yet, but I'm working on it.

I've heard rules of thumb of between one liter every 5 miles to 10 miles, and from 0.5 to 1.5 liters for each dry camp. What you use will depend on exertion, heat, metabolism, the phase of the moon, the way you part your hair, etc.

ChinMusic
05-10-2009, 22:30
All depends on WHERE on the trail, and the current conditions. Most times, esp. in the wet areas where I most of my hiking, I don't carry any, or just one full water bottle which I drink from as I hike. If it's dry or extra hot, I'll carry a second bottle.
This pretty much sums it up for me. Unless I have a very long space between water sources or the weather is hot, I just carry ONE 32-oz Gatorade bottle full of water. I will camel-up at the next source, refill, and move on.

I carry a 4L Water Tank with me for camp use and will use it for an additional day-source if conditions dictate. I would not put the Tank in my pack because I do not trust the seal on the top. I will hang it off the back of my pack:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dUy91pTdL.jpg

sly dog
05-10-2009, 22:43
I never carry more than 2 one liter bottles, one on each side of my pack.

Colter
05-10-2009, 23:29
I think a very important consideration is to not get "behind the curve" on hydration. I'm on board with "cameling up." If there is a waterless stretch ahead I try to take a good break before I leave and make sure I am fully hydrated and have a belly full of water and enough to make it to the next source. I try to consider my water situation before passing any source.

As others have said, it doesn't make sense to carry unneeded water, water is really heavy! As often as not on the AT I left water sources with a full quart.

Tennessee Viking
05-11-2009, 00:18
Depends on how much of a drinker you are? If you need lots of water, I would carry a minimum of 2 one-liter bladders or bottles. That way you have one being treated while you drink the other.

But some people can just do with just a sports bottle.

Then if you are in hot or dry weather, carry as much water as you can.

The Will
05-11-2009, 00:52
I don't particularly mind the weight, so I carry a 2.4L platy w/hydration hose. I'd rather do that than stop more frequently to fill up. For others it is the opposite. I have quite an aversion to being without water, but either way--less water, more fill-ups, more water, less fill-ups--works as long as you are sure of your next water source.

daddytwosticks
05-11-2009, 07:31
Proper water management is my toughest skill to master...:)

garlic08
05-11-2009, 09:07

Just remember, timing is everything.

sly dog
05-11-2009, 09:44
I cant carry a bladder cuz I like to see how much water I have left, if I had a platty or such I think I would run out by always sipping on it. Thats just me.

JAK
05-11-2009, 09:46
Just remember, timing is everything.
They say the onlt real social sin is bad timing. So too with water management I suppose. :)

Spirit Walker
05-11-2009, 09:57
It really depends on when and where you're hiking. Full summer - you may need more water. During a drought, you may have to carry more in case of dry or cruddy springs.

In the East, I generally carry two full quarts in my pack. That will carry me 10-15 miles, depending on heat and exertion. On the AT, you have a data book that lists water sources. Check it in the morning so you knew what the distance is between water sources. Carry enough to get you to the next good spring. If you're in a drought situation, carry extra. Be sure to stop often to drink - I have a bad habit of carrying water but not drinking enough of it. I'll usually refill water at noon and then late in the day, if possible.

Out west I'll carry anywhere from 2-6 liters. Water sources are often much farther apart and the dry shadeless heat really dehydrates. Plus we've run into a lot of water sources that we didn't want to drink from, even with a filter - so I tend to carry extra out there.

Water is heavy - but like food, it's a good weight. You know you'll use it.

Red Hat
05-11-2009, 12:38
How much water do you generally carry when you are on the trail?

Of course, it varies with the temperatures and the distance between water sources. But most of the time, 2 liters is enough.

Alaskanhkr23
05-11-2009, 12:42
i have a water bladder i bought at walmart its 2 litre's its works fine for me,i hiked for an entire day with it,untill i had to fdill it again

Kanati
05-11-2009, 12:45

You can say that again!!! I finally threw away my platapus because I was carrying too much water. Down south while it was still winter, I ate frozen water falling from trees or snow and didn't carry any water on several days. Later I resorted to a 32 oz and a 20 oz gatorade bottle as my total reserve and watched my book and the trail carefully for clean water sources. Only got into trouble one time and that was south of Lehi Gap in PA when the spring was .5 miles downhill from the trail and the next water source was about 7 miles north. I opted to skip the spring and make it to the next one closer to the trail. I found myself very very dry as this was during the heatwave last June. Wild blueberries saved the day. After that day I managed it more carefully and didn't have a problem.

Happy hiking. :sun

Alaskanhkr23
05-11-2009, 12:57
the problem with eating snow and stuff like that is that it can cost you-it take more energy for you to melt the snow and it can also drop your core temp very quickly,if thats what u meant

Kanati
05-11-2009, 13:18
the problem with eating snow and stuff like that is that it can cost you-it take more energy for you to melt the snow and it can also drop your core temp very quickly,if thats what u meant

I've heard that can be a problem if you are winter hiking in severe conditions and I wouldn't try it. During my experience, it was March and the night time temps were in the teens and days in the 30's and I was generating a lot of heat while walking. Hiking in AK I would definitely be more careful.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 13:28
I carry anywhere from none to about 1 gallon on the AT. For the most part a 2 liter camelback is more than enough for me, and I noticed the more I carry the more I drink probably because of the weight. This weekend in Shenandoah I filled my 2 liter back on the first day and most of that water is still in it now after 3 days on the trail. We ate near water sources so all of our cooking water was right there.

KevinAce
05-11-2009, 13:43
If you're an amateur hiker (like I am), I absolutely recommend carrying a full pack of water. It's a lot better to carry an extra 6 lbs (3L) of water and not have to worry about running out...than try to shave down to 2 lbs of water and find yourself without water, or a water source.

If you have good, reliable information about upcoming water sources, then by all means carry as little as possible. If you're not sure, then load up. It's better to be safe than sorry. Finding yourself without water because you tried to save 2-4 lbs is not a fun situation (been there, done that).

Blissful
05-11-2009, 14:10
Close to three liters.

phillycheze
05-11-2009, 14:26
i'm big... i usually carry 4 liters. 2 bottles and a platypus. i sweat heavily, so that works for me. everyone is different.

jrnj5k
05-11-2009, 15:00
on the AT i carry about 2 liter at a time. two 1 liter bottles. I chug water at every water source.

Dogwood
05-11-2009, 20:21
I just carried 8 liters on the Hayduke. ***** that sucked when considering my base is less than 6 lbs. The water sucks out here in Utah - tastes like a mixture of table salt, laundry detergent, and cow pies. OHH! how fortunate U all R drinking that AT spring water.

CrumbSnatcher
05-11-2009, 20:26
i carried 2-6 liters

Pokey2006
05-11-2009, 20:29
Wow, 2-4 liters is a LOT for most of the AT. Even in PA in the middle of summer, I'm not sure I ever carried that much. One thing to remember is, as long as you're fairly well hydrated in general, you can easily go several miles without any water at all. Take runners for instance. How many of them do you see carrying water? And they can run miles at a time, without taking a drink, working up even more of a sweat than the typical hiker. Hikers can do the same thing.

I'd suggest to the folks carrying that much water to experiment with carrying less, or perhaps even carrying none at all under certain conditions. It can be done safely.