PDA

View Full Version : Byrds Nest #3 now available for overnight

MikeMonaco
05-11-2009, 00:54
We just returned from a 4 day hike through SNP. The Byrds Nest #3 is now set up to accommodate overnight stays, not just day use (most books/maps show day use only).

This is a VERY nice shelter, with a fireplace built inside. Based upon pics I've seen online, it has received a complete makeover. Also, they've added a bear pole and a moldering privy about 100' from the shelter.

Enjoy!

N 38° 38.067 W 078° 19.426

mooseboy
05-11-2009, 00:57
Sounds great. Is there much tent-camping space nearby?

Downhill Trucker
05-11-2009, 05:43
And are they letting you camp anywhere near the shelter??? Is there water?

Shiraz-mataz
05-11-2009, 06:21
And are they letting you camp anywhere near the shelter??? Is there water?

When I passed through last year I seem to recall there was a water pipe coming out of the hill right next to the shelter but the end/faucet was locked. (maybe it's unlocked now?) Seems like there were signs to a spring about 0.3 or less away - I don't remember the exact distance since I didn't need to top off at the time.

Don H
05-11-2009, 07:25
I was there a few weeks ago, no water from the pipe.

MikeMonaco
05-11-2009, 09:32
There was no water running at the site, however, there was a fountain but it was shut off. Perhaps they'll turn it on in the future (not sure). As for tent camping, it looked like there was tons of room around the shelter to pitch a tent. This site is right on top of a ridge, and it was very windy when we were there (last Saturday).

Skyline
05-11-2009, 09:50
The water fountain near the shelter has been non-functional for years. The water source is a good piped spring 0.3 mi. down a nearby fire road. Look for the concrete marker on the left during the descent; it's back a ways from the road via a narrow trail.

There are four kinda small designated tent sites near Byrds Nest 3.

Lemni Skate
05-12-2009, 07:01
I had lunch there last May before the makeover. It is right on the trail. If you think ahead you can get water before you get there.

It's a good addition to the "Hut" list in SNP as they are spaced far enough apart there to limit one's options if they are camping mostly at shelters.

It would be a good place for Southbounders to stay before rolling into Big Meadows and Skyland for a day of great hiking and eating.

sasquatch2014
05-14-2009, 21:42
Was there this past fall. They were just about ready to make it an over night "hut" but not officially open yet. I only took a "nap" there.