PDA

View Full Version : Damascus turned bad?

Pages : [1] 2

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 10:00
While hiking this weekend I ran into a lot of thru hikers. Many of these hikers shared a common story of Damascus. All who I asked said Damascus had turned ugly toward thru hikers, treating these men and women as if they were scum and criminals. Out of the maybe 30 thru hikers most were young college students but a few were in there 30's a couple were older than 40. I don't normally take a story at face value, but with so many sharing simular experiences, and being from varying ages, I wonder if the rumors are true. Has Damascus lost its hospitality towards thru hikers? Have they elected a sheriff who harrasses Hikers as if they were criminals?

max patch
05-11-2009, 10:03
People are generally treated in the manner in which they deserve to be treated.

World-Wide
05-11-2009, 10:05
While hiking this weekend I ran into a lot of thru hikers. Many of these hikers shared a common story of Damascus. All who I asked said Damascus had turned ugly toward thru hikers, treating these men and women as if they were scum and criminals. Out of the maybe 30 thru hikers most were young college students but a few were in there 30's a couple were older than 40. I don't normally take a story at face value, but with so many sharing simular experiences, and being from varying ages, I wonder if the rumors are true. Has Damascus lost its hospitality towards thru hikers? Have they elected a sheriff who harrasses Hikers as if they were criminals?

I sure hope not! I'm planning a NOBO in March 2010 and I have to say Damascus is one of the places I'm most excited to see. Take a couple zero days and meet some good people. I've only ever heard great things about Damascus and would greatly dissapointed if what you say is true.:(

World-Wide
05-11-2009, 10:06
I sure hope not! I'm planning a NOBO in March 2010 and I have to say Damascus is one of the places I'm most excited to see. Take a couple zero days and meet some good people. I've only ever heard great things about Damascus and would greatly dissapointed if what you say is true.:(

sorry about the spelling!!

Blissful
05-11-2009, 11:14
Can't wait to hear LW's take on this thread....

He actually mentioned a week ago that hikers were being jerks there. Doesn't take many to ruin everything for everyone else. And that's really sad. Damascus deserves better and deserves respect, as do all people and the trail towns. Hikers think they rule it all, and they don't.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 11:21
Have you been to Damascus? We have been up there twice this year and have not seen or heard of anything that would suggest they dislike hikers. They have been through alot in the past few years with the whole police thing. People always wave at us when we are walking around town. I have a feeling that maybe some of the hikers you are talking about stayed at The Place and may have seen the "security" stepped up there. Another hiker put it to me this way a couple of years ago. "we hikers want want want want and want. When we enter a town we are consumers. We are only thinking about ourselves and what that particular town can do for us." After awhile, Im sure that some of the residents see this and gradually develop a distaste for certain groups. As you stated, many of the one you talked to are college age. Think about what many college age kids do, get high and get drunk and cause a ruckus. For some, it may get old year in and year out. For the most part I have found that the residents of Damascus are very welcoming of hikers and treat them with respect. Just because they dont bend over backwards for each and every hiker doesnt mean they dislike anyone. Each year there are "bad apples" that unfortunately ruin it for the rest. If I had to put up with us hikers each year, it would get old for me too. Like I said, I think for the most part you will find Damascus very welcoming, just treat her and her residents with respect and you shall receive the same in return.

Miss Janet
05-11-2009, 11:39
I spent a couple of hours in Damascus yesterday with lots of locals that seemed to be excited about Trail Days this year. There may be a few people who don't really care... as in most Trail Towns... but I found the attitude to be pretty positive! If everyone remembers to pack thier good manners along with thier beer... or milk... coolers we will be welcomed!

Red Hat
05-11-2009, 11:52
I love Damascus! But I have to admit that for the past few weeks, while hiking in VA, whenever I'd mention Traildays to hikers, they said that their experience in Damascus this year had turned them off to attending Traildays. I was surprised, because I have never had a bad day there. I returned to town last Wednesday evening (after the third straight day of rain) and found the town full of hikers. There was literally no place to stay. I headed over to Sicily's for dinner and met a number of hikers there. Folks seemed to be just as friendly as usual, but the only place I could find to stay was an expensive cabin. It was a week until I could camp out at the TD campground. Now, that is no one's fault and it doesn't mean Damascus isn't hiker friendly. But when the town is full, the town is full. I planned to return for Traildays, but a friend's death here at home means I'll have to wait until next year. I have much to be thankful for and I'll always love Damascus.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 12:23
I am like many of you and have been told nothing but great things about Damascus until now, and my one night there in 2001 was great. I had planned on taking my nephews this weekend, and we brought this up with the hikers we met. I know when people tell a story they only tell 1 side and this is why I have started this thread so I could hear some others sides. One story I was told this weekend while on the trail was of a young man named Hatchet who had been slammed down on a cop car for of all things using vulgarity in a bar. Now I doubt seriously that was even a tenth of the whole story and I am sure he had done much worse. I instantly stuffed his story in my "OK sure" box deep in my mind, but then I met another gentleman who had been hiking for many years and was in his 50's. He did not go into details but said his stay as well was very unpleasant, he also told me of his many trips to Damascus and how they had all been wonderful in many ways. At this point another gentleman who had stopped to join us for lunch began to blame a new sheriff for the problems. Now I don't know the politics of the area and the one night I was there I wasn't even hiking I was just stopped in to stay in a Hotey on my way back from Bonnaroo, but these men and women were of many walks of life, from all over the country, and varied in age and all shared a contempt for what had in their eyes happened to a great trail town. This will not stop me from taking my nephews there one day, but I have decided to not go to trail days this year. This would not be the first time that a friendly town has gone through a change, and all the towns I have seen who have made a change like that described by the thru hikers I met have gone back to being the great towns they once were. I just want to know if others have had experinces that reflect what these men and women had, or was it just a strange time in the city for I am sure they were all in town at relatively the same time since they were all at High Top within hours of each other.

JAK
05-11-2009, 12:49
People are generally treated in the manner in which they deserve to be treated.That does work both ways.

jedibirder
05-11-2009, 12:54
When I came thru Damascus, SoBo in '07, I stayed in town for several days to work on a recurring foot injury. This was end of June. I was treated very well, but I believe there are some in town who are getting tired of Trail Days. From what the locals were telling me is that every year it gets a little bit more out of control. Some even leave town. I have not been to Trail Days, but some of the younger hikers that I met that year only treated it as one big party.
I have been contemplating a NoBo hike in 2010 and will most likely avoid Damascus during that time.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 12:54

believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. the only ugliness is towards the blatant rule breakers and law breakers

Kite
05-11-2009, 12:55
whenever I'd mention Traildays to hikers, they said that their experience in Damascus this year had turned them off to attending Traildays.

He did not go into details but said his stay as well was very unpleasant,

another gentleman who had stopped to join us for lunch began to blame a new sheriff for the problems.

all shared a contempt for what had in their eyes happened to a great trail town.

Can anyone elaborate on what kind of negative experiences were had? I am contemplating going to TD this weekend, and this discussion has me hesitating now. I had a very negative experience in Damascus a few years ago when someone claiming to be/acting like a caretaker at "The Place" was extremely nasty and rude, but that was just one person and also he stunk of alcohol, so I tried to write it off as just an isolated incident. But it did leave me with kind of a "bad taste in my mouth" about Damascus and I haven't been back since.

What kind of problems are hikers reporting?

JAK
05-11-2009, 12:59
If you want friendly, without too much fuss over laws and such, there is Newfoundland.

CowHead
05-11-2009, 13:00
It always depends on the individual perspective; personally little roadside attractions are what you make of them, not what others say, see or do

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 13:02
When I came thru Damascus, SoBo in '07, I stayed in town for several days to work on a recurring foot injury. This was end of June. I was treated very well, but I believe there are some in town who are getting tired of Trail Days. From what the locals were telling me is that every year it gets a little bit more out of control. Some even leave town. I have not been to Trail Days, but some of the younger hikers that I met that year only treated it as one big party.
I have been contemplating a NoBo hike in 2010 and will most likely avoid Damascus during that time.
I didn't think about it till you said it but I bet you are correct, any ill will toward hikers recently is probably do to the upcoming trails days. Many towns I have been in for festivals got a bit heavy handed b4 a festival, like sturges, or Garberville Ca, not to mention areas that have Gatherings. I am sure that a large part of locals from any of these areas spends the weeks b4 and the weekend during these events just hoping it would end already. I remember Atlanta and Saltlake each going nutty b4 the Olympics, Salt Lake even ticketed people for stopping to long in one spot on the sidewalk lol. I think I will still avoid taking the kids this year just in case, and let them experiece Damascus later in the summer when it is a bit calmer.

JAK
05-11-2009, 13:03
Funny. There's a Cow Head in Newfoundland. Population about 500.

kyhipo
05-11-2009, 13:04
Damascus is a very nice town with alot of things going on outdoors.I have done the party thing and enjoyed it!trail days is a nice shindig dont get wrapped up in any negative vive,just enjoy the area and take some day hikes which I plan on doing!alot of nice places to eat!good people and ofcourse its my favorite hiking town.:Dky

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 13:05
Don't let me hesitation stop you from going. I have one unruly nephew who has a way af making trouble, and I don't want him playing with fire around a short fuse if ya know what I mean lol

DAJA
05-11-2009, 13:06
If you want friendly, without too much fuss over laws and such, there is Newfoundland.

Now your talking! If I was a Newf, i'd sink the ferry and close the airports.. That place is as close to paradise as i've ever experienced! I hope they can maintain that spirit..

JAK
05-11-2009, 13:07
Then there's places like Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia where the locals have gotten rather tired of being treated like tourist attractions. I think its important to understand that most people live in a town just to live in a town, not to be nice to tourists.

JAK
05-11-2009, 13:09
Sure a few try to make a decent honest living from tourists,
but most are just honest people trying to live decently.

KevinAce
05-11-2009, 13:34
I spent some time in Damascus on 5/8 and 5/9 at the start and end of my hike (from TN 91 -> Damascus) and everybody seems to be in a pretty good mood. A lot of people were excited for Trail Days. A few, however, were not so pumped. I won't mention any names but one guy said he absolutely hates it because it's basically a bunch of hikers coming to town, getting drunk, abusing drugs, and showing disrespect for the city. He is a local resident and was not looking forward to it. Other than some lack of enthusiasm for some drunk hikers for Trail Days, I think everybody in the town treats hikers very well.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 13:35
believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. the only ugliness is towards the blatant rule breakers and law breakers

Exactly, you get what you give.

Doctari
05-11-2009, 13:35
When I give asked for advice to friends wanting to hike I always include this warning: "Every; shelter, town, hostel, hotel, supplier, rock & section of trail WILL have someone who says something bad about it/them. Just listen politely & say thanks for the info, but don't believe a word of it. It may indeed be true, but don't skip a place based on hearsay."

My Life experience is: Person 1 has a "bad experience" & tells persons 2, 3, 4 & 5. They each tell 4 people the story as if it's there own, etc etc. Soon: "The XYZ hostel owners greet hikers at the door dressed as Rambo & run hikers wearing red ("Commie spys") off." When nothe could be further than the truth. ONE person had a bad (self caused?) experience.

I have been to Damascus 4 times so far, as a hiker, I have NEVER been mistreated or had ANYONE be rude to me. Was just there in January, the only dissapointment was that Cowboy's dosn't (didn't?) have fried chicken anymore, & I REALLY like Cowboy's fried chicken.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 13:36
I spent some time in Damascus on 5/8 and 5/9 at the start and end of my hike (from TN 91 -> Damascus) and everybody seems to be in a pretty good mood. A lot of people were excited for Trail Days. A few, however, were not so pumped. I won't mention any names but one guy said he absolutely hates it because it's basically a bunch of hikers coming to town, getting drunk, abusing drugs, and showing disrespect for the city. He is a local resident and was not looking forward to it. Other than some lack of enthusiasm for some drunk hikers for Trail Days, I think everybody in the town treats hikers very well.

If you lived in a small town, wouldnt that get old to you too? Im just sayin...

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 13:37
When I give asked for advice to friends wanting to hike I always include this warning: "Every; shelter, town, hostel, hotel, supplier, rock & section of trail WILL have someone who says something bad about it/them. Just listen politely & say thanks for the info, but don't believe a word of it. It may indeed be true, but don't skip a place based on hearsay."

My Life experience is: Person 1 has a "bad experience" & tells persons 2, 3, 4 & 5. They each tell 4 people the story as if it's there own, etc etc. Soon the XYZ hostel owners greet hikers at the door dressed as Rambo & run hikers wearing red ("Commie spys") off.

I have been to Damascus 4 times so far, as a hiker, I have NEVER been mistreated or had ANYONE be rude to me. Was just there in January, the only dissapointment was that Cowboy's dosn't (didn't?) have fried chicken anymore, & I REALLY like Cowboy's fried chicken.

Just like when people say Virginia is flat!:D:D

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 13:38

My Life experience is: Person 1 has a "bad experience" & tells persons 2, 3, 4 & 5. They each tell 4 people the story as if it's there own, etc etc. Soon the XYZ hostel owners greet hikers at the door dressed as Rambo & run hikers wearing red ("Commie spys") off.

they gots the fried chicken

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 13:40
they gots the fried chicken
I second their Fried chicken:banana:banana

Christus Cowboy
05-11-2009, 14:31

Just curious... When you spoke with the thru-hikers did you find that the younger crowd had a higher prevalence of negative viewpoints than the older thru-hikers that you ran into..... Most of the feedback I have gotten when talking to thrus about Damascus has been quite positive. The few negative things that I have heard has been from mostly (though not all) younger hikers who have had run ins with law enforcement for such things as (disorderly conduct, trespassing, public intoxication, etc.)

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 14:43
Just curious... When you spoke with the thru-hikers did you find that the younger crowd had a higher prevalence of a negative viewpoints than the older thru-hikers that you ran into..... Most of the feedback I have gotten when talking to thrus about Damascus has been quite positive. The few negative things that I have heard has been from mostly (though not all) from younger hikers who have had run ins with law enforcement for such things as (disorderly conduct, trespassing, public intoxication, etc.)

i can tell you the problems i have had at "The Place" with hikers are the 20something year olds. every day now i gotta babysit. they cannot follow simple rules

travelin jack
05-11-2009, 14:55
Here! Here! Too often, some hikers get an attitude that the world revolves around them and anyone that doesn't lay down and kiss their butts isn't "hiker friendly". Got news fer ya. It's just a walk. So behave yourself. Don't be a jerk.

Sly
05-11-2009, 14:57
I won't mention any names but one guy said he absolutely hates it because it's basically a bunch of hikers coming to town, getting drunk, abusing drugs, and showing disrespect for the city. He is a local resident and was not looking forward to it.

I wonder if the same guy has problems with locals getting drunk at Dots?

Trail Days brings hundreds of thousands of dollars to the local economy. During these lean days that shouldn't be overlooked.

CowHead
05-11-2009, 15:03
Funny. There's a Cow Head in Newfoundland. Population about 500.

Never been there must be a distant wanderer relative. The only Newfoundland I know die when she was 12, one great dog and her name was betsy

JAK
05-11-2009, 15:06
I remember when I was 16-21 I was pretty outa hand. I was a little more responsible in my 20s, but on occassion would still raise hell, but not nearly as often, and with a little more discretion about whom I might be disturbing. What struck me in my 30s and now into my 40s is that even grown adults seem to drink way more than they need to, all the time, in order to have fun. I haven't noticed this hiking, but I have noticed it on boat cruises on the river, which is a big reason I got out of boating. I've also noticed it amongst most of the ATV crowd up her, when they get together in larger numbers. I can see it happening amongst hikers on trails where trail towns and beer stores are more accessible, as on the AT. Hikers are no different than any other group in this respect. Halloween is another big surprise for me. It used to be primarily for kids. In the past 30 years or so it seems to be primarily for adults to go drinking. I think in general we cater too much to drinkers because they spend alot more money. I'm a drinker myself, so don't get me wrong. I'm just saying alot of **** gets tolerated until it stops making money, and alot of harmless stuff isn't tolerated because it doesn't make money.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 15:18
kinda hard to avoid when the trail goes down main street. also, if I remember correctly, not many places to resupply before or after the town.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 15:21
The county could always go back to being a dry county.

JAK
05-11-2009, 15:22
I had an older sailing friend, he would be about 80 now but sailed all his life and new what he called the old-timers. He had alot of stories about the old-timers like how they used to put a reef in before dropping sail at anchor, so they would already have the reef in if they ever had to raise sail in a hurry. They other thing I remember him saying about the old-timers is that although they could drink as well as anyone today, in general it only took a pint of rum to get 3 men and a boy drunk, whereas today it seems to be that no one can go up river without their own 40 of rum and flat of beer apiece, and no one even bothers to raise a sail the entire weekend. They just power up river and power back down drinking and hooting and hollering like idiots the entire time, complaining about how the police might start policing the river for drinkers and drivers. I grew up sailing on the river with my family, and I remember how much beer he had and it really wasn't that much, and I remember alot of other families with kids. That's the other thing you don't see so much on the river these days, is families with kids. People tend to put there kids in some other camp, then go up river and drink and screw each others spouses and then get separated and then divorced and then remarried, and then see each other on the river again one year after the next. Idiots. My wife doesn't like sailing. So I sold the boat and took up hiking. Smart woman. She doesn't like hiking either, but she likes it when I take our daughter. It's good clean fun. I would still like to get out on a winter hike with some men and maybe share a pint, but I really do think a single pint oughta do well enough, for 3 men and a boy to here some good old stories, of old-timers and summer storms and cold winter nights long ago just like this one.

tlbj6142
05-11-2009, 15:24
Halloween is another big surprise for me. It used to be primarily for kids. In the past 30 years or so it seems to be primarily for adults to go drinking. I don't drink much at all. But I drink more on trick-or-treat night than any other night of the year. I live in your typical white middle class 50-60' lot neighborhood that has 400+ houses. At least one house per street gives out beer to adults and at least one per every other street gives out hot dogs and/or brats. That rarely (if ever) happened 15 years ago when the neighborhood was built, but in the past 6-8 years it has increased.

I even see (same folks all the time) people drinking beer in their driveway just about every day. Guess if you like beer. My wife and I often laugh at TV shows in which the folks are always shown drinking regardless of what they are doing as some sort of odd endorsement made on behalf of the Alcohol Distributors of America, but now I'm not so sure.

JAK
05-11-2009, 15:46
Don't get me wrong. I sympathize with alcoholics, but we can't all be alcoholics. I think most of us are just plain irresponsible drinkers. Hard to tell though. Especially when we have jobs and everything seems to be going well. Myself, lots of stuff going wrong and lots of stuff going right, but no drinking problem knock on wood. Somedays like this though, when I get nothing done, I think sobriety is completely wasted on me.

I'm going to head for a coffee and see if I can kick my ass into high gear.
Last week was good. Cheers all.

RadioFreq
05-11-2009, 15:57
I went through Damascus about a month ago. There were some "youngsters" who imbibed just a bit too much and probably wore out their welcome at "The Place".

I agree with one of the previous statements that if you act up you will be treated accordingly.

Kite
05-11-2009, 16:05
I agree with one of the previous statements that if you act up you will be treated accordingly.Of course. But this thread is about hikers who apparently weren't "acting up" and were still treated rudely in Damascus.

As far as blaming all this on drunken hikers, keep in mind that I (who don't drink) was treated nastily by a drunken LOCAL.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 16:45
Here come the call outs:rolleyes:

MOWGLI
05-11-2009, 16:57
More drama. :rolleyes:

jedibirder
05-11-2009, 16:57
Don't let me hesitation stop you from going. I have one unruly nephew who has a way af making trouble, and I don't want him playing with fire around a short fuse if ya know what I mean lol

Not to worry...not much for big crowds...kind of the point of the trail after all isn't it.

Kite
05-11-2009, 17:44
Here come the call outs:rolleyes:What's a callout?

jedibirder
05-11-2009, 17:52
kinda hard to avoid when the trail goes down main street. also, if I remember correctly, not many places to resupply before or after the town.

I meant that I would avoid the town during Trail Days...not the town itself. I have only had great times in Damascus...even had a lady give me the keys to her car to go to a play at Abington (07). Where in the world would anyone traet you like that.

JAK
05-11-2009, 17:53
The best revenge is living well. The best living well is hiking well.

mixinmaster
05-11-2009, 18:01
I picked up some hitchhikers coming from Backbone last year. When I asked where they had hiked in from, they said they didn't, they came for the party. Like the Rainbowers in Ocala National Forest outside of Ocklawaha. Not saying that is good or bad, just that a very large number of these folks are not hikers but are generalized as such. And for some of us that grew up here and remember the quaint tiny town, it can be trying when pukers and h*ll raisers show up with the frat boy mentality. Hikers that have respect for others will, I'm sure, always be welcome.

Lemni Skate
05-11-2009, 18:04
I think maybe "leave no trace" ought to apply in some sense to towns.

Leave only footprints (and money). As thru-hikers we ought to go out of our way not to make a**es of ourselves in towns. If I moved to a trail town, I would definitely start out to be a trail angel. I wonder how many times some jerk would have to drop an f-bomb in front of my gets or get obnoxiously loud and drunk or relieve himself in my front yard before I turned into a trail demon.

I don't believe some guy in Abingdon ran for sheriff on the "Billy-club-all-the-thru-hikers" platform out of the blue and won. If the friendliest town on the trail has turned on us hikers, then some of us hikers probably have done something to make them turn.

We constantly preach to one another about how to act in the woods. We need to do the same for how to act in a town. It's not fair that all thru hikers get lumped together because of a few bad seeds, but that's how it is. If i get bitten by two german shepherds, then I'm going to be wary of all german shepherds until one proves me wrong.

Lemni Skate
05-11-2009, 18:09
I need to edit my post.

I don't want some guy dropping f-bombs in front of my kids (I don't know what my "gets" are).

I also think the town we are discussing is Damascus, not Abingdon (which is a great town in the area, too).

Sorry, I'm too busy drinking to get prepared for trail days to proofread my posts.

JAK
05-11-2009, 18:13
They spank donkeys don't they?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xRJutQtSSw

Sly
05-11-2009, 18:15
I don't want some guy dropping f-bombs in front of my kids.

If that's the worst that happens to your kids while growing up they're doing well.

JAK
05-11-2009, 18:20
That's the trouble with this forum.
You try and make the most irrelevant post possible, and someone always outdoes you.

Local
05-11-2009, 18:41
Of course. But this thread is about hikers who apparently weren't "acting up" and were still treated rudely in Damascus.

As far as blaming all this on drunken hikers, keep in mind that I (who don't drink) was treated nastily by a drunken LOCAL.

Excuse me? Have we met? :welcome

Frog
05-11-2009, 18:53
I didn't see what the real complaint was about. But in the past few years the town has become very popular with biking. Bringing in more and more people every weekend and maybe this is annoying some people. What use to be a quiet little town has now become a very busy town.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 18:55
busy? that's a good thing for the economy. it's a tourist town.

Frog
05-11-2009, 19:01
Yeah if you own a store.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 19:04
goes with the territory. I grew up in a small coastal town that is mobbed by tourist during the summer. That's how the town survives.

Pedaling Fool
05-11-2009, 19:10
Not to worry...not much for big crowds...kind of the point of the trail after all isn't it.
That is no longer the point of the AT.

Kite
05-11-2009, 19:11
I don't believe some guy in Abingdon ran for sheriff on the "Billy-club-all-the-thru-hikers" platform out of the blue and won. If the friendliest town on the trail has turned on us hikers, then some of us hikers probably have done something to make them turn.

Good points all.

But if this is how the town really feels about hikers, then they need to stop hosting Trail Days. If they are no longer the "friendliest town on the AT", that is fine, that's their perogative. But they should stop billing themselves that way if they are fed up with hikers. Luring folks in with that claim, then being nasty to them is no way to act.

Just a Hiker
05-11-2009, 19:14
It's not always easy to be a permanent resident in a town that hosts a big event every year. My grandparents lived in Sturgis, SD all their lives and ran a small convenience store and produce stand.....and Bike Week really took it's toll on them at times; however, they always put on a happy face and dealt with it because they knew that their Bike Week revenue was a big part of their annual income. However, there were times when my grandfather refused service to a drunk biker and things got ugly.....you can't make everyone happy sometimes I guess.

Pokey2006
You think that's bad, try living in Salem, Mass. at Halloween time...

JAK
There are lots of tourists towns, but that doesn't make everything right. Not everyone benefits equally. I can sympathize with most pissed off locals, but not so much with pissed off service providers, especially those that sell beer. When I go 'touring' I like to go to places less spoiled by 'tourists' like me, so I try not to make too much of an impact. It's not so easy to do that in places that are saturated. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and drink heavily once a place has become a saturated **** hole full of drunken tourists. Sad really, but I'm not sure how it can be avoided. I suppose the best balance is places that are quaint enough to be worth visiting, but boring enough that most people don't bother. It's sort of like the 'uncertainty principle' of quantum physics, applied to hiking and touring. Not really sure where Damascus fits in to the occassion, but I guess I'll know when I get there.

JAK
05-11-2009, 19:21
Gotta love Lone Wolf though for trying to maintain some order at 'The Place'. If there were more people like him in this world we could all drink some and still have fun without turning the whole world into a cesspool. He's not making money doing it. There's the difference.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 19:27
Just curious... When you spoke with the thru-hikers did you find that the younger crowd had a higher prevalence of negative viewpoints than the older thru-hikers that you ran into..... Most of the feedback I have gotten when talking to thrus about Damascus has been quite positive. The few negative things that I have heard has been from mostly (though not all) younger hikers who have had run ins with law enforcement for such things as (disorderly conduct, trespassing, public intoxication, etc.)It was equal among young and old. and that was what scared me. If had been the college kids, I wouldn't have had a second thought. If had just been a couple of old men I wouldn't have had a second thought. If had been just some women, I wouldn't have had a second thought. I do not believe it could be as bad as I was lead on to believe, but I know there must be a kernel of truth to the rumors, and with my luck if there is just 1 bad apple in the town I would end up face to face with him, and he would know which buttons to push lol.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 19:27
Good points all.

But if this is how the town really feels about hikers, then they need to stop hosting Trail Days. If they are no longer the "friendliest town on the AT", that is fine, that's their perogative. But they should stop billing themselves that way if they are fed up with hikers. Luring folks in with that claim, then being nasty to them is no way to act.,I don't know your particular experience, but could it have been brought about by association?

Jak, have you been to damascus? just wondering.

I liked LS's comment regarding "leaving no trace"

JAK
05-11-2009, 19:32
Jak, have you been to damascus? just wondering.No. I'm just talking out of my ass, as usual.
Looking forward to it though. It's the one Trail Town I definitely won't miss.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 19:34
That is no longer the point of the AT.is for me. even so, I'll prbly be at trail days. never been to the festival.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 19:43
It's not always easy to be a permanent resident in a town that hosts a big event every year. My grandparents lived in Sturgis, SD all their lives and ran a small convenience store and produce stand.....and Bike Week really took it's toll on them at times; however, they always put on a happy face and dealt with it because they knew that their Bike Week revenue was a big part of their annual income. However, there were times when my grandfather refused service to a drunk biker and things got ugly.....you can't make everyone happy sometimes I guess.I would bet money this is the case now. I have been to many towns with large festivals, including music festivals, Olympics, Political protests, Rainbow Gatherings, and just about any other event you can think of, and all towns tend to buckle down a bit b4 an event as if it were a storm. Most of the time if you go year after year you will see the town get less and less friendly towards the tourists, to the point that locals have hung go home signs on their houses and stood on top of bridges and buildings yelling at the unwanted guests in other towns. In each of these towns I had seen this type of reaction, a fraction of the residents gave the town a bad name, and a fraction of the tourists gave the tourist a bad name. In each case the event got smaller and smaller over a few years until it was back to it's original slender, with a few exceptions. Most notable exception is RiverSpree, which was a great small town event, at first all the venders were churches and local stores and the visitors were pretty well either locals or Boaters. As security got more strict, common people quit going and more and more outsiders took up the slack, until one year it got so bad that a large fight broke out, some called it a riot, but I bet it was only a few guys fighting in a crowd. Either way River Spree is Gone.

Marta
05-11-2009, 19:45
I was in Damascus yesterday. We didn't look like through-hikers, but we were in stinky hiker clothing.

We weren't arrested, harassed, or even annoyed. Quite the contrary. Had a delicious apple dumpling with ice cream, and took a friend shopping at MRO. Waved at TOW on our way out of town. Everyone was their usual friendly selves.

Bearpaw
05-11-2009, 19:56
I'll be hiking into Damascus twice this July, and I'll also bicycle the Creeper Trail through town. I'll let you all know how the town is treating section hikers and cyclists these days.

It was still very friendly the last time I visited in February.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 19:59
fine for me in sept. dropped off a hiker and then biked.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-11-2009, 20:30
Been to Damascus many times always been treated well-if hikers act out and behave poorly they get they deserve-there are always one or two loud mouths in a crowd it seems

Local
05-11-2009, 20:33
Good points all.

But if this is how the town really feels about hikers, then they need to stop hosting Trail Days. If they are no longer the "friendliest town on the AT", that is fine, that's their perogative. But they should stop billing themselves that way if they are fed up with hikers. Luring folks in with that claim, then being nasty to them is no way to act.

"Kite," who are you? If you've come onto this site to slam Damascus, let's get some honesty here. You've only posted four (4) times on whiteblaze, and the three I see are negative about Damascus. I live here, I don't know what the s**t you are talking about. Yes, sometimes we get drunks at the Methodist-run "Place," and Wolf educates them on the rules. They don't seem to realize that "no beer" and "no dogs" means just that. Is this your problem?

So let's be honest, "Kite." What's your agenda here? To make general and unsubstantiated remarks about a small mountain town in Virginia? To get back at the town because of some personal grievance?

And if you want to know who I am, ask for Richard at the Town Hall. I'm a volunteer and know most of the lodging and restaurant people. I know how the town "feels about hikers," and it is overall positive, in fact the town is composed of many hikers. You make a lot of accusations. Let's see you step up and let the local folks know who you are, and if you've been terribly wronged we will apologize.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 20:43
"Kite," who are you? If you've come onto this site to slam Damascus, let's get some honesty here. You've only posted four (4) times on whiteblaze, and the three I see are negative about Damascus. I live here, I don't know what the s**t you are talking about. Yes, sometimes we get drunks at the Methodist-run "Place," and Wolf educates them on the rules. They don't seem to realize that "no beer" and "no dogs" means just that. Is this your problem?

So let's be honest, "Kite." What's your agenda here? To make general and unsubstantiated remarks about a small mountain town in Virginia? To get back at the town because of some personal grievance?

And if you want to know who I am, ask for Richard at the Town Hall. I'm a volunteer and know most of the lodging and restaurant people. I know how the town "feels about hikers," and it is overall positive, in fact the town is composed of many hikers. You make a lot of accusations. Let's see you step up and let the local folks know who you are, and if you've been terribly wronged we will apologize.
In all fairness to Kite, she didn't start the topic. She only confirmed it. That's why I asked if her unfortunate experience could have been by association. No reason to jump on Kite.

JAK
05-11-2009, 20:45
It's post like that that make me want to avoid the AT.

Desert Reprobate
05-11-2009, 20:46
Trail towns and trail angels are a big part of a hike. You get to meet nice people who live out where you are walking. If you want to visit, you abide by the rules. It isn't hard. If you can't do that keep on walking.

JAK
05-11-2009, 20:48
The one by Local I mean. I'm sure he means well in defending his town and friends, but this calling out business is kinda crazy. Just makes people think there really are serious issues on both sides, and it might be better to find some trail with less trouble.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 20:49
In all fairness to Kite, she didn't start the topic. She only confirmed it. That's why I asked if her unfortunate experience could have been by association. No reason to jump on Kite.I agree. Please I started the topic, and I have no first hand knowledge of any wrong doing. If anyone in town is upset about the topic please take it out on me instead.

Local
05-11-2009, 20:50
In all fairness to Kite, she didn't start the topic. She only confirmed it. That's why I asked if her unfortunate experience could have been by association. No reason to jump on Kite.

Here are Kite's words: "...they need to stop hosting Trail Days. If they are no longer the "friendliest town on the AT", that is fine, that's their perogative. But they should stop billing themselves that way if they are fed up with hikers. Luring folks in with that claim, then being nasty to them is no way to act."

Are people not to be held accountable for what they say? Are we "luring" people to Damascus with false claims? Should we stop Trail Days based on unsubstantiated rumors? Are we all "nasty?" Don't slander a whole town and not expect a response from a few of us.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 20:53
Here are Kite's words: "...they need to stop hosting Trail Days. If they are no longer the "friendliest town on the AT", that is fine, that's their perogative. But they should stop billing themselves that way if they are fed up with hikers. Luring folks in with that claim, then being nasty to them is no way to act."

Are people not to be held accountable for what they say? Are we "luring" people to Damascus with false claims? Should we stop Trail Days based on unsubstantiated rumors? Are we all "nasty?" Don't slander a whole town and not expect a response from a few of us.
and what about the context that led up to that statement? why are you only jumping on kite? let's not run off the newbies. else, we won't be the friendliest hiking forum either.

JAK
05-11-2009, 20:55
I don't really get some of the trail angel stuff either. Some of it that is. For the most part I would rather just hike and see more trees and fewer people. Its always nice when people are there when you need them though. I think alot of trails are getting overdeveloped, all in the name of economics. Some of this is natural but I think alot of it is misguided. I can't speak for the AT, but that seems to be what is happening up here in Canada including Newfoundland, and I think alot of our ideas good and bad seem to come from trails like the AT. I think development is highly over-rated, especially when it comes to enjoying nature.

Local
05-11-2009, 20:57
............ Has Damascus lost its hospitality towards thru hikers? Have they elected a sheriff who harrasses Hikers as if they were criminals?

We have a police chief, not a sheriff. Yesterday Chief Nunley picked up two hikers who were camped on private property, after the owner had complained. The chief took the hikers to the campground, told them they could camp there for free, but that Wednesday night they would have to buy a wristband or leave. I see the chief almost daily. He is a considerate and caring person, who will go out of his way to help strangers. He also enforces the law. That aspect of his job seems to have disturbed some people, although we have no precise details.

JAK
05-11-2009, 20:58
I'm rather ambivalent about the whole thing of course, because I do want to see more people enjoying nature and learning from the experience. I just don't think that thinking about it in conventional economic terms is the right way to go about it. It would be nice to see more defence of nature on this forum, and less defence of trail towns and service providers, or hiker rights.

Kite
05-11-2009, 21:00
Wow. Just...wow. :(

I only have a few posts because I just joined the site today. And the reason I just joined is because I was thinking of going to Trail Days this weekend and came here to this site to see what people were saying about Trail Days. After the way I was treated a few years ago, I was leery about ever going back. This discussion has definitely helped me make my decision about attending.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 21:02
We have a police chief, not a sheriff. Yesterday Chief Nunley picked up two hikers who were camped on private property, after the owner had complained. The chief took the hikers to the campground, told them they could camp there for free, but that Wednesday night they would have to buy a wristband or leave. I see the chief almost daily. He is a considerate and caring person, who will go out of his way to help strangers. He also enforces the law. That aspect of his job seems to have disturbed some people, although we have no precise details.
I beg to differ with you but if you don't have a sheriff then who is SHERIFF FRED P. NEWMAN?

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 21:03

I only have a few posts because I just joined the site today. And the reason I just joined is because I was thinking of going to Trail Days this weekend and came here to this site to see what people were saying about Trail Days. After the way I was treated a few years ago, I was leery about ever going back. This discussion has definitely helped me make my decision about attending.
Kite I hope this does not keep you from white blaze. This is such an awesome site with some really great people who are normally very helpful.

wakapak
05-11-2009, 21:04

What happened a few years ago that was so bad? just curious about it, as i'm sure many others are now too, especially those living in Damascus.

Just a Hiker
Damascus isn't apt to lose it's title as "the Friendliest Town on the AT" any time soon. And JAK.....long distance hikers have to resupply somewhere.....so trail towns are an important part of the hike. Take care and I hope everyone enjoys Traildays!

modiyooch
No. I'm just talking out of my ass, as usual.
Looking forward to it though. It's the one Trail Town I definitely won't miss.exactly how far south have you been??

Local
05-11-2009, 21:05
I agree. Please I started the topic, and I have no first hand knowledge of any wrong doing. If anyone in town is upset about the topic please take it out on me instead.

My point is that there are no details, no precise events, no exact incidents. A few people just decided to pile on. What happened and where? Times and places, please. We often take care of our own here, and if someone is rude to hikers unjustifiably, we will deal with them. It's a small town, we know most everyone. But we also resent people making accusations about us with no backup for their accusation. No need to "take it out" on anyone, but if I start a thread about how bad Punkinville, PA, is, someone needs to set me straight unless I can come up with some facts.

JAK
05-11-2009, 21:06
We have a police chief, not a sheriff. Yesterday Chief Nunley picked up two hikers who were camped on private property, after the owner had complained. The chief took the hikers to the campground, told them they could camp there for free, but that Wednesday night they would have to buy a wristband or leave. I see the chief almost daily. He is a considerate and caring person, who will go out of his way to help strangers. He also enforces the law. That aspect of his job seems to have disturbed some people, although we have no precise details.I just get the sense from posts like this that way too many people are trying to hike the AT and make a living from the AT. It seems more like a pilgrimage in Europe or Asia than a piece of the natural world still worth preserving. Call me an idealist, but there might be better places for idealists. Fewer every year though. Fundy Footpath and Dobson Trail ain't what they used to be.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/04/08/nb-harper-trail.html

Local
05-11-2009, 21:07
I beg to differ with you but if you don't have a sheriff then who is SHERIFF FRED P. NEWMAN?

County Sheriff. Also a friend. Damascus has a Police Chief and the campground is in the Town of Damascus.

JAK
05-11-2009, 21:11
exactly how far south have you been??Hiking?
South = Grand Manan New Brunswick
North = Port Aux Choise Newfoundland
West = West Coast Trail British Columbia

I've driven to Florida a bunch of times though.
Nice place but to many Canadians.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 21:14
My point is that there are no details, no precise events, no exact incidents. A few people just decided to pile on. What happened and where? Times and places, please. We often take care of our own here, and if someone is rude to hikers unjustifiably, we will deal with them. It's a small town, we know most everyone. But we also resent people making accusations about us with no backup for their accusation. No need to "take it out" on anyone, but if I start a thread about how bad Punkinville, PA, is, someone needs to set me straight unless I can come up with some facts.
I agree, I would like to know exactly what happened if anything from both sides. The most memorable story I was told was the story of Hatchet, who claimed he was thrown out of a bar and then slammed onto a police car for saying the F word. Now I know he has to be full of it and he was probably makin an a55 of himself, but another gentleman who was much older and would not go into detail said he had problems in town as well. He then went on to complain about the Sheriff. After your comment I read up on the Sheriff and see that his offices are in another city, but Damascus is still in his Jurisdiction. Perhaps, and I am not saying this is the case by any means just tossing out a possibility, but perhaps the problem he had in Damascus was not with the town folk, but with a deputy from Abingdon who has nothing to lose by offending hkers. I would love to know the whole story though.

JAK
05-11-2009, 21:15
I'm thinking if I ever do the AT I should do it in the off season.
That is also the best time to hike up here, if you want more solitude.
Development sucks, but there is always the off season.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 21:16
Hiking?
South = Grand Manan New Brunswick
North = Port Aux Choise Newfoundland
West = West Coast Trail British Columbia

I've driven to Florida a bunch of times though.
Nice place but to many Canadians.
Nah Florida has too many bugs and thunderstorms lol. It is a must visit though, I loved the keys stayed down for a few months b4 moving to panama city for another few months to build up bank for another big trip.

The Old Fhart
05-11-2009, 21:17
modiyooch (to JAK)- "exactly how far south have you been??"JAK (paraphrased) -"I haven't hiked a single inch on the A.T. but I once stayed at a Holiday Inn." :D:D

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 21:18
I'm thinking if I ever do the AT I should do it in the off season.
That is also the best time to hike up here, if you want more solitude.
Development sucks, but there is always the off season.
Next month is a great time for southern VA and North Carolina, just enough section Hikers to have a decent conversation, and few enough hikers that you will go most of the day without ever seeing another person. Just my opinion.

wakapak
05-11-2009, 21:20
I agree, I would like to know exactly what happened if anything from both sides. The most memorable story I was told was the story of Hatchet, who claimed he was thrown out of a bar and then slammed onto a police car for saying the F word. Now I know he has to be full of it and he was probably makin an a55 of himself, but another gentleman who was much older and would not go into detail said he had problems in town as well. He then went on to complain about the Sheriff. After your comment I read up on the Sheriff and see that his offices are in another city, but Damascus is still in his Jurisdiction. Perhaps, and I am not saying this is the case by any means just tossing out a possibility, but perhaps the problem he had in Damascus was not with the town folk, but with a deputy from Abingdon who has nothing to lose by offending hkers. I would love to know the whole story though.

I think there's a lesson to be learned in this. Don't post a thread such as this if you do not know of the story firsthand.

Hooch
05-11-2009, 21:21
JAK (paraphrased) -"I haven't hiked a single inch on the A.T. but I once stayed at a Holiday Inn." :D:DThis has got to be the funniest post of the day. I just spewed Sprite out of my nose. :eek:

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 21:25
Good points all.

YOU with YOUR attitude need to stay away. the"town" has no problem with hikers.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 21:26
I think there's a lesson to be learned in this. Don't post a thread such as this if you do not know of the story firsthand.Guess you haven't read the entire post the entire reason was to learn the entire story hence the question mark in the title and all the questions asked in the very first post. Maybe the lesson to be learned is read the entire post, be courteous, offer what knowledge you have, learn from what others have to offer, and then make up your own mind based on all the information you can gather. Although I am sure many will just find this post as an attack on themselves or a chance to attack others, which like most posts on this site it is not meant to be either, it is meant as a post for individuals to share their experiences in a friendly forum so we can all reap the benefits of others knowledge.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 21:28
needed to leave out the speculation, though

Hooch
05-11-2009, 21:29
Been to Damascus many times and never had a problem. Of course, I never showed my ass there, either. :rolleyes:

JAK
05-11-2009, 21:30
Last time I was in Florida, which was over 10 years ago, I noticed alot less tolerance when it comes to doing stuff like sleeping in you car at a sailing regatta, which is all we ever did in the 70s. There seems to be alot more 'organized' drinking going on when it comes to things like Spring Break and Mardis Gras, which are things that I never got into but often seemed to be going on at the same time as our midwinter sailing treks. So I understand why there needs to be so much 'law and order' these days. Its a shame though, because it does make it more difficult for people that just want to live cheaply without causing trouble while competing at sports or doing a more athletic hike of the AT. The drinking mobs seem to be encouraged on one hand, but kept in line on the other. Its not surprising that some passer bys get caught up in the confusion, or that alot of locals get pissed off. I could just be getting older but I think its all because we are living less simply that we used to, and because government and business likes to see more people making money even if it means alot more young people overdrinking.

Lets face it, simple enjoyment of nature is NOT driving trail development.
Perhaps it never did, but at least there used to be an ideal that it should.

Phoenixdadeadhead
This has got to be the funniest post of the day. I just spewed Sprite out of my nose. :eek:
I agree, but I wonder why some are so defensive about a few questions, and why Kite is being attacked for saying IF? The definition of IF; In informal writing both if and whether are standard in their use to introduce a clause indicating uncertainty after a verb such as ask, doubt, know, learn.

Lone Wolf

so glad you're not coming. :)

wakapak
05-11-2009, 21:32
Guess you haven't read the entire post the entire reason was to learn the entire story hence the question mark in the title and all the questions asked in the very first post. Maybe the lesson to be learned is read the entire post, be courteous, offer what knowledge you have, learn from what others have to offer, and then make up your own mind based on all the information you can gather. Although I am sure many will just find this post as an attack on themselves or a chance to attack others, which like most posts on this site it is not meant to be either, it is meant as a post for individuals to share their experiences in a friendly forum so we can all reap the benefits of others knowledge.

i did read the entire post. I'm just simply saying that even posting that, as a question isn't the greatest thing to do. If you were that curious, you could have pm'd some people on here that live there and would know better firsthand. Its similar to that 'assault on the AT' thread. all heresay and speculation, nothing from the actual people it happened to.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 21:34

i was at dot's the nite your friend was slammed into the police car. i know the whole story. you're not worthy of hearing it

Hooch
05-11-2009, 21:35
I agree, but I wonder why some are so defensive about a few questions, and why Kite is being attacked for saying IF? The definition of IF; In informal writing both if and whether are standard in their use to introduce a clause indicating uncertainty after a verb such as ask, doubt, know, learn.
I think that the key word here is uncertainty. It all sounds like rumor, speculation and innuendo. Unless there are first hand accounts of what happened with names, times, dates and witnesses, then I call bull**** on the whole damned thing.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:37
a drunken LOCAL.

That is a call out:rolleyes:

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 21:38
Ok Wakapak, what really happened about 2 weeks back? What did a hiker named Hatchet really do? Why did an old hiker have problems? Are police in your area vamping up for trail days and increasing security? Are officers anxious, and all ready a bit annoyred about the thought of a town foull of drunk hikers? Are any of the towns people openly against Hikers coming in town? How does the town handle people who do not like hikers? Knowing that any town that has frequent transients has had bad experience with transients, what problems have you or others you know had with people from out of town and how have you handled theses problems and what changes has Damascus made because of these problems, and how do these changes effect the rest of us who just want to relax and enjoy what many have called the best town on the trail?

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:39

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/cry-baby-girl-face.jpg

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:40
Ok Wakapak, what really happened about 2 weeks back? What did a hiker named Hatchet really do? Why did an old hiker have problems? Are police in your area vamping up for trail days and increasing security? Are officers anxious, and all ready a bit annoyred about the thought of a town foull of drunk hikers? Are any of the towns people openly against Hikers coming in town? How does the town handle people who do not like hikers? Knowing that any town that has frequent transients has had bad experience with transients, what problems have you or others you know had with people from out of town and how have you handled theses problems and what changes has Damascus made because of these problems, and how do these changes effect the rest of us who just want to relax and enjoy what many have called the best town on the trail?

Get to the point bro:mad:

wakapak
05-11-2009, 21:41

i dont live there, nor does it say it in my info.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:43
I think there's a lesson to be learned in this. Don't post a thread such as this if you do not know of the story firsthand.

Phoenix, you are starting up stuff right before traildays with heresay. Were you there? Did you witness anything? Its all heresay so get your facts straight before you post a topic you know will get everyone juiced up.

JAK
05-11-2009, 21:43
Next month is a great time for southern VA and North Carolina, just enough section Hikers to have a decent conversation, and few enough hikers that you will go most of the day without ever seeing another person. Just my opinion.Good to know. Thanks. I definitely look forward to places like Damascus, but I would rather see it with less crowds. I've been talking with local friends up here about Katahdin, that actually have been there unlike myself, and they say there are some similar issues trying to hit it right. You want to be able to do the mountain, and avoid the worst weather, but you also want to avoid the crowds. Apparently there is a narrow opportunity to do so. I would think Damascus would also be doable in winter though, although as you say it would be nice if there were a few other hikers just not too many. Our Victoria Day weekend is often a nice weekend to hit places in New England because it is the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend, so places tend to be opened up, but not crowded. Calm before the storm. Did Cape Cod Victoria Day Weekend once. Perfect timing. Never had trouble with Police in New England, and I've met quite a few having done alot of late night driving through there. I've never been foolish enough to try and go anywhere near a Phish concert though. I hate crowds. That's the answer really, for avoiding alot of unpleasantness in life. Avoid crowds.

Hikerhead
05-11-2009, 21:44
Been to Damascus many times and never had a problem. Of course, I never showed my ass there, either. :rolleyes:

That's just too darn simple... I must say I've never seen anyone start any trouble the 6 or 7 times I've been. It must all start after 11 pm after I've gone back up the rd to the campground...not the Trail Days campground.

Well there was this one year when a horse kicked the crap out of someones truck after the parade. :)

Lone Wolf

stay away kid :rolleyes:

Phoenixdadeadhead
i was at dot's the nite your friend was slammed into the police car. i know the whole story. you're not worthy of hearing it
First he was nor is a friend he is only a thru hiker I met on the trail. Also, Lone Wolf you may not feel you are but in my opinion you have been rude many times in this post. I understand standing up for your town and believe it is your right, but treating others as if they are not as good as you because they are not from your town is a bit rude. I made this post to ask a simple question and for others to share their experiences. If you do not wish to defend your town with truth, but would rather attack or insult, then you are not defending what may be a wonderful town, you are confirming what stories said.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 21:45
That's just too darn simple... I must say I've never seen anyone start any trouble the 6 or 7 times I've been. It must all start after 11 pm after I've gone back up the rd to the campground...not the Trail Days campground.

Well there was this one year when a horse kicked the crap out of someones truck after the parade. :)
Was the horse ok lol

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:47
First he was nor is a friend he is only a thru hiker I met on the trail. Also, Lone Wolf you may not feel you are but in my opinion you have been rude many times in this post. I understand standing up for your town and believe it is your right, but treating others as if they are not as good as you because they are not from your town is a bit rude. I made this post to ask a simple question and for others to share their experiences. If you do not wish to defend your town with truth, but would rather attack or insult, then you are not defending what may be a wonderful town, you are confirming what stories said.
Dont start rumors about his town and you wont get that response

Hooch
05-11-2009, 21:47
At least he's not adding to the rumor mill, Phoenix, which is exactly what you're doing.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:48

Lets go back, you started it all with this... and he is defending his turf. He knows more about the situation than you do. All you have is a one sided story brosef

Hikerhead
05-11-2009, 21:49
Was the horse ok lol

The horse loved it....the door on the truck didn't look to good with a horse shoe shaped dent in it though. :D

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 21:51

you're wayyyyy of base. pretty much clueless as to how things are here

Phoenixdadeadhead
Phoenix, you are starting up stuff right before traildays with heresay. Were you there? Did you witness anything? Its all heresay so get your facts straight before you post a topic you know will get everyone juiced up.
The Post is a question, instead of attacking people who would like to go to trail days but have doubts maybe a non rude group of people would reassure prospective customers to their town that this was a one time affair and that the thru hikers had had a bad experience that is very seldom. Instead people who claim to be locals have insulted and or been rude to at least 2 people who had before hearing from these locals considered coming to Damascus next week. I still will not make Judgement maybe these people who claim to be locals are really from other trail towns and they want to be known as the friendliest town on the trial instaed of Damascus, but if these people who claim to be locals really are locals then no wonder young and old thru hikers complained about the town.

wakapak
I have a question.....Phoenix, have you ever been to Damascus???

Hooch
05-11-2009, 21:52
.......I wonder if the rumors are true.......These are your words. You admit yourself that all this is rumor. Until you have fact on your side, I would suggest unto thee that you should stop slamming the town and it's people.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 21:52

oh. and jerry's dead and phish sucks. get a life :D

JAK
05-11-2009, 21:53
Phoenix, you are starting up stuff right before traildays with heresay. Were you there? Did you witness anything? Its all heresay so get your facts straight before you post a topic you know will get everyone juiced up.Is Trail days seriously in need of more people to be a success? What does it matter waht Phoenix says, or some dumbass like myself? It sounds like Damascus might actually be better off if a few less people show up than usual, at least during trail days or peak season. Why not just let people talk and say stupid things and ask stupid questions? Does what anyone says on WB really matter all that much?

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 21:53
That is a call out:rolleyes:and apparrently the downfall.

Flush2wice
05-11-2009, 21:54
I haven't bothered to read this whole thread, but based on what I've glossed over, my opinion is to avoid Damascus.

Chaco Taco
The Post is a question, instead of attacking people who would like to go to trail days but have doubts maybe a non rude group of people would reassure prospective customers to their town that this was a one time affair and that the thru hikers had had a bad experience that is very seldom. Instead people who claim to be locals have insulted and or been rude to at least 2 people who had before hearing from these locals considered coming to Damascus next week. I still will not make Judgement maybe these people who claim to be locals are really from other trail towns and they want to be known as the friendliest town on the trial instaed of Damascus, but if these people who claim to be locals really are locals then no wonder young and old thru hikers complained about the town.

You asked and got a response. Its a town dude, not everyone is going to like us. You should know this if you have ever been to Asheville. Just dont come in blazin with all of this heresay and not exspect to get a response from some of the biggest hiker supporters

Phoenixdadeadhead
Well DUH!!!!!! If I knew how the people of Damascus were really treating thru hikers I would not have needed to ask such a simple question. If someone asks me the same thing about a town I love, I will tell them that like all towns if a person acts like an a55 then most likely they will be treated like one, but if you treat others with respect then you will be treated so. It is a whole lot easier than treating potential customers like they are dirt

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:56
I haven't bothered to read this whole thread, but based on what I've glossed over, my opinion is to avoid Damascus.
That is not the right opinion to get from this thread. Its one guy laying out rumors and false bits and pieces of stories that he heard on the trail. Damascus is a great own and have some of the nicest people on the AT. If you are going to judge it based on a internet forum, you may want to rethink hiking in general

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 21:57
Is Trail days seriously in need of more people to be a success? What does it matter waht Phoenix says, or some dumbass like myself? It sounds like Damascus might actually be better off if a few less people show up than usual, at least during trail days or peak season. Why not just let people talk and say stupid things and ask stupid questions? Does what anyone says on WB really matter all that much?

creeper trail bike riders spend more money in this town than in one week than hikers spend all year.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:57
Well DUH!!!!!! If I knew how the people of Damascus were really treating thru hikers I would not have needed to ask such a simple question. If someone asks me the same thing about a town I love, I will tell them that like all towns if a person acts like an a55 then most likely they will be treated like one, but if you treat others with respect then you will be treated so. It is a whole lot easier than treating potential customers like they are dirt

Just like th eother guy, if you get it based on an internet forum, you should rethink the whole hiking thing.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 21:58

oy vey :rolleyes:

wakapak
05-11-2009, 21:59
oy vey :rolleyes:

haha, that was pretty much what went thru my head when i read that too! :rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 21:59
No your post in generally a statement about what you heard, then a question at the end. If you are going to believe what stupid a** thry hikers tell you then maybe you should just stay away.

Hikerhead
05-11-2009, 22:00
creeper trail bike riders spend more money in this town than in one week than hikers spend all year.

So true...going to drop some doe on the creeper myself this weekend.

Phoenixdadeadhead
I have a question.....Phoenix, have you ever been to Damascus???
Yes I have and I had a nice stay even though it was only one night. Like I said over and over again, I was shocked by the stories that I was told and would not have given any of them any weight what so ever, but they came from so many different hikers and of different ages, so still not believing the stories i asked a question to see and unfortunately for Damascus the responses have led more to substantiating their claims than confirming my previous belief that these thru hikers had just been a55es.

Chaco Taco
So true...going to drop some doe on the creeper myself this weekend.
The Creeper is awesome.

JAK
05-11-2009, 22:01
Seriously though, why not inform people without insulting them, unless of course I am right and it really doesn't matter. What is the population of Damascus, and how many hikers are added to that number during peak times and Trail Days? Is it really that much out of hand. I know the population of Prince Edward Island pretty much doubles in the summer, but they seem to handle it well and its still a pretty good time no matter when you go. Its pretty hard to get an insult out of the locals. Newfoundlanders are a different kettle of fish of course. They will insult your arse off, and sometimes even kick the **** out of you, but they're still the finest people you would find anywheres.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:01
Yes I have and I had a nice stay even though it was only one night. Like I said over and over again, I was shocked by the stories that I was told and would not have given any of them any weight what so ever, but they came from so many different hikers and of different ages, so still not believing the stories i asked a question to see and unfortunately for Damascus the responses have led more to substantiating their claims than confirming my previous belief that these thru hikers had just been a55es.
You really must have a comprehension problem.

Hooch
05-11-2009, 22:02
Phoenix, if you want to go to Damascus, then go. If you don't, well then, don't. But basing your decision on rumor and innuendo is nothing short of ill-informed.

Oh, I noticed that you didn't answer Wak's question when she asked if you'd ever even been to Damascus. I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that one as well.

Hikerhead
05-11-2009, 22:03
The Creeper is awesome.

That little Shady Valley ice cream stop is the *****....makes my brain freeze thinking about it. :banana

Chaco Taco
I don't normally take a story at face value, but with so many sharing simular experiences, and being from varying ages, I wonder if the rumors are true. Has Damascus lost its hospitality towards thru hikers? Have they elected a sheriff who harrasses Hikers as if they were criminals?

This is what you said and its a bit insulting to our friends. You get what you give no matter where you are and they probably deserved it!

Chaco Taco
Phoenix, if you want to go to Damascus, then go. If you don't, well then, don't. But basing your decision on rumor and innuendo is nothing short of ill-informed.

Oh, I noticed that you didn't answer Wak's question when she asked if you'd ever even been to Damascus. I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that one as well.

One night man. One freakin night!!!!

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:04
That little Shady Valley ice cream stop is the *****....makes my brain freeze thinking about it. :banana

Anything called Shady Valley is ok in my book:o

Kanati
05-11-2009, 22:04

You can't go by what you read here. Most of this soap opera bitching is just people bumping their gums. Damascus is a nice place, that is unless it has changed a lot since I was there last year, and I don't think it has. My experience is that when someone expects everybody to kiss their a-- and it doesn't get done, they go around spreading rumors about how rude and impolite "everyone" is.

Personally, I don't see how the town tolerates all the stuff that shows up their 3/4 of the year. They gotta be special people.

wakapak
05-11-2009, 22:05

he finally answered, and yes he has been, and he a good stay. however, since others had a bad time, he decided to post here and ask about, and now it seems that he thinks it's turned bad.

all i gotta say is, take everything you hear from people with a grain of salt and come up with your conclusions based on your own experiences. thats how i try to live my life, otherwise i may miss out on something i could love by just listening to another's opinion about it. thats just me tho! :rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
Yes I have and I had a nice stay even though it was only one night. .

Keep diggin that hole bro, keep diggin that hole. Ill bring ya an extra shovel if you show up this weekend!:rolleyes:

Skidsteer

Why not go and make up your own mind?

So the gossip of strangers is more reliable than your own experiences?

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 22:06
While hiking this weekend I ran into a lot of thru hikers. Many of these hikers shared a common story of Damascus. All who I asked said Damascus had turned ugly toward thru hikers, treating these men and women as if they were scum and criminals. Out of the maybe 30 thru hikers most were young college students but a few were in there 30's a couple were older than 40. I don't normally take a story at face value, but with so many sharing simular experiences, and being from varying ages, I wonder if the rumors are true? Has Damascus lost its hospitality towards thru hikers? Have they elected a sheriff who harrasses Hikers as if they were criminals?So lets examine what I wrote ok I mentioned I ran into a bunch of hikers (100% true) then perhaps I should have put quotation marks around the statements that were told to me so others would understand these are not my statements, then I described the hikers roughly giving ages, I then explained that i don't believe the stories, but "feared" (thats a question not statement)there may be some truth and explained why.I ASKED ARE THE RUMORS TRUE? (question) Has Damascus lost its hospitality towards thru hikers?(question)Have they elected a sheriff who harrasses Hikers as if they were criminals? (question)

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:06
all i gotta say is, take everything you hear from people with a grain of salt and come up with your conclusions based on your own experiences. thats how i try to live my life, otherwise i may miss out on something i could love by just listening to another's opinion about it. thats just me tho! :rolleyes:

Yea like Va is flat and its all downhill after NC and TN:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:07

Very very well put Skidsteer:clap

wakapak
05-11-2009, 22:07
Yea like Va is flat and its all downhill after NC and TN:rolleyes:

HAHA! that one is out there every year!!! :p

wakapak
05-11-2009, 22:08

exactly what i was saying, you just put it better! :)

Hooch
05-11-2009, 22:09
One night man. One freakin night!!!!Amen, hallelujia, etc. 2 more 12 hour shifts at work and then I've got 7 days off and headed to Damascus early Thursday morning. I got no problem with Damascus and it's got no problem with me. Then again, I don't walk around town like I'm entitled to anything or the town and its people owe me something, either. See y'all there. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing old friends, making new ones and just enjoying the festival, even if I do have to work it all weekend long. I'm sure I can still get aways for dinner and conversation at TOW's or a burger at Dot's. Either way, I'm looking forard to being in the friendliest town on the trail.

wakapak
05-11-2009, 22:11
Amen, hallelujia, etc. 2 more 12 hour shifts at work and then I've got 7 days off and headed to Damascus early Thursday morning. I got no problem with Damascus and it's got no problem with me. Then again, I don't walk around town like I'm entitled to anything or the town and its people owe me something, either. See y'all there. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing old friends, making new ones and just enjoying the festival, even if I do have to work it all weekend long. I'm sure I can still get aways for dinner and conversation at TOW's or a burger at Dot's. Either way, I'm looking forard to being in the friendliest town on the trail.

See ya there Hooch! Look forward to meeting you!! :)

Chaco Taco
Amen, hallelujia, etc. 2 more 12 hour shifts at work and then I've got 7 days off and headed to Damascus early Thursday morning. I got no problem with Damascus and it's got no problem with me. Then again, I don't walk around town like I'm entitled to anything or the town and its people owe me something, either. See y'all there. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing old friends, making new ones and just enjoying the festival, even if I do have to work it all weekend long. I'm sure I can still get aways for dinner and conversation at TOW's or a burger at Dot's. Either way, I'm looking forard to being in the friendliest town on the trail.

I cant wait to meet you dude!!!
Damascus is awesome and so are the people!!:sun

Phoenixdadeadhead
This is what you said and its a bit insulting to our friends. You get what you give no matter where you are and they probably deserved it!
If I seem insulting I appologize to all. I and the large group who had been considering going this year just wanted to know if Damascus had changed? I will let them all know they should read this post and make up their own minds, but I know how they will react lol.

Hooch
05-11-2009, 22:12
Same here, Wak. I met Chaco in Hot Springs at Trail Fest 2008 at SGT Rock's campsite. It'll be nice to meet you as well.

JAK
creeper trail bike riders spend more money in this town than in one week than hikers spend all year.Actually that was quite informative. Thanks Lone Wolf.

I think most places, even if you hit them peak season, you can have a good time and avoid trouble if you don't go looking for it. There is always the chance of getting caught up in some of the confusion, and maybe getting your feathers ruffled or ruffling someone elses, but so what? Life goes on. Personally I try and avoid the busiest times anywhere I go, but obviously most people don't.

wakapak
If I seem insulting I appologize to all. I and the large group who had been considering going this year just wanted to know if Damascus had changed? I will let them all know they should read this post and make up their own minds, but I know how they will react lol.

if you wanna make a decision from something you read on the internet, go for it!! :rolleyes:

Hooch
05-11-2009, 22:13
I cant wait to meet you dude!!!You already did.

Damascus is awesome and so are the people!!:sunAgreed.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:14
Same here, Wak. I met Chaco in Hot Springs at Trail Fest 2008 at SGT Rock's campsite. It'll be nice to meet you as well.

Man, I hiked in at 10 pm the night before and drank a couple of beers that put me on my ass. I remember you now. I was still intoxicated when we met. Sorry man, well the i cant wait to see you again!!!! Wow Im embarrssed:datz

Pokey2006
05-11-2009, 22:14
Wow you guys. The way I've read this, Phoenix was asking a question based on what he had heard from hikers who had been through the town. He never said he believed what they told him. He's not the one spreading the rumors -- the hikers he talked to are the ones saying this stuff! He just wanted to know what the deal was.

Maybe some of you should read through all the posts, and read them a little more carefully, before you start attacking individuals. I've counted at least three on here who have been attacked personally, none of whom have said anything that awful.

You're all just being mean.

JAK
05-11-2009, 22:15
Keep diggin that hole bro, keep diggin that hole. Ill bring ya an extra shovel if you show up this weekend!:rolleyes:Are you actually threatening the dude or just badgering the **** out of him? What did he say that was all that serious really? Its really hard to defend you guys sometimes.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:16
That is the worst advice you could give ANYONE!!! Like I said, keep diggin that hole. Geez you really are clueless:rolleyes:

Hooch
05-11-2009, 22:16
Man, I hiked in at 10 pm the night before and drank a couple of beers that put me on my ass. I remember you now. I was still intoxicated when we met. Sorry man, well the i cant wait to see you again!!!! Wow Im embarrssed:datzNo harm, no foul. See ya in Damascus.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:17
Are you actually threatening the dude or just badgering the **** out of him? What did he say that was all that serious really? Its really hard to defend you guys sometimes.
He keeps puttin his foot in his mouth

JAK
if you wanna make a decision from something you read on the internet, go for it!! :rolleyes:**** you guys.
Friendly me arse.

JAK
He keeps puttin his foot in his mouthand you keep being an ass

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 22:18

I had planned on taking them after trail days because I believed the stories were exagerations or plain old lies, but now NO way, I have worked hard to show these kids how nice hikers are and how great trail towns are and I will not take them there.

JAK
05-11-2009, 22:21
"If the people don't want to come out to the ballpark, you can't stop them." lol

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:23
Dude I aint badgerin ya if it seems like I am but telling people to judge a town based on rumors and an internet forum is just irresponsible. Go there, have a good time, treat it with respect and gather your own judgement. I am sorry if I came across as curt but you really cant take a rumor from a thruhiker seriously most of the time. Thruhiking is diifferent than hiking.

Phoenix, my apologies dude, but you gotta get off the computer and gooooooooo. Go to Traildays or go spend a few days in Damascus, Hot SPrings etc and gatehr you own opinion and see if it has changed. It really is irresponsible to gage an opinion on what others say. Like LW, yea on here he seems a bit harsh, but when you meet him, he is one of the nicest peoplwe you will meet. Me, Im an a**hole on here sometimes, well most of the time, but when I meet other hikers, Ill give em the shirt off my back, even though it may stink. I apologize for coming down hard on you and didnt mean to insult you and if I did, Im sorry. Just dont listen to what others say esp about a town like Damascus.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 22:24
and you keep being an ass

Aww Im sorry JAK:bse
Yes I am being an ass and I am apologizing

Skidsteer
05-11-2009, 22:28
I had planned on taking them after trail days because I believed the stories were exagerations or plain old lies, but now NO way, I have worked hard to show these kids how nice hikers are and how great trail towns are and I will not take them there.

If you really thought they were exaggerations and lies then why dignify them? Particularly when you, by your own admission, have been to Damascus and enjoyed your stay?

Damn.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 22:28
Dude I aint badgerin ya if it seems like I am but telling people to judge a town based on rumors and an internet forum is just irresponsible. Go there, have a good time, treat it with respect and gather your own judgement. I am sorry if I came across as curt but you really cant take a rumor from a thruhiker seriously most of the time. Thruhiking is diifferent than hiking.

Phoenix, my apologies dude, but you gotta get off the computer and gooooooooo. Go to Traildays or go spend a few days in Damascus, Hot SPrings etc and gatehr you own opinion and see if it has changed. It really is irresponsible to gage an opinion on what others say. Like LW, yea on here he seems a bit harsh, but when you meet him, he is one of the nicest peoplwe you will meet. Me, Im an a**hole on here sometimes, well most of the time, but when I meet other hikers, Ill give em the shirt off my back, even though it may stink. I apologize for coming down hard on you and didnt mean to insult you and if I did, Im sorry. Just dont listen to what others say esp about a town like Damascus.Nah I am staying far away from trail days after this post as for Hot Springs I loved it there and will stop there next month when I come home to see my Familly in black mountain, Weaverville, and Asheville.

Tinker
05-11-2009, 22:29
Thank a local.

They'll think that hikers are the greatest.

It's amazing what a little phrase can do.

Better yet, make thankfulness a lifestyle. It's real hard to gripe about something when you're thankful.

Btw, Lone Wolf, thanks for looking after The Place. I've never been there, only seen the pictures. Hikers aren't entitled to stay there, they're allowed.

No one should expect respect without giving it first.

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 22:29
This is absolutely bizarre. First of all, all the numerous positive points made in this thread about the town have been ignored, and decisions are being made regarding the town based on personal attacks from a few .

second, I'm having a hard time digesting comments about southern hospitality and the trail coming from someone who hasn't actually experienced southern hospitality.

mudcap
05-11-2009, 22:37
wow,when i first checked... this thread was in English...nevermind!

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 22:38
I ASKED ARE THE RUMORS TRUE? (question) Has Damascus lost its hospitality towards thru hikers?(question)Have they elected a sheriff who harrasses Hikers as if they were criminals? (question)

no, no and no. go on to somethin' else dude :rolleyes:

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 22:39
If you really thought they were exaggerations and lies then why dignify them? Particularly when you, by your own admission, have been to Damascus and enjoyed your stay?

Damn.
Well like I said with the stories coming from so many and from all ages it said to me that there must be a kernel of truth to their stories, but I wanted to learn the other side b4 making any decision about taking my nephews and a few of their friends next weekend. I just got them all hooked on hiking, and I want them to have nothing but great experiences for a while. I will be very cautious about what I lead them into. If it were just for me I would just have gone, heck i barely drink and rarely have any problems even when I am in areas that are known to be bad like Reading Pennsylvania which is the worst city I have ever lived in, despite having many of the most beautiful women lol.

JAK
05-11-2009, 22:39
This is absolutely bizarre. First of all, all the numerous positive points made in this thread about the town have been ignored, and decisions are being made regarding the town based on personal attacks from a few .

second, I'm having a hard time digesting comments about southern hospitality and the trail coming from someone who hasn't actually experienced southern hospitality.Personal attacks eh?
Bite me arse.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2009, 22:43
Well like I said with the stories coming from so many and from all ages it said to me that there must be a kernel of truth to their stories, but I wanted to learn the other side b4 making any decision about taking my nephews and a few of their friends next weekend. I just got them all hooked on hiking, and I want them to have nothing but great experiences for a while. I will be very cautious about what I lead them into. If it were just for me I would just have gone, heck i barely drink and rarely have any problems even when I am in areas that are known to be bad like Reading Pennsylvania which is the worst city I have ever lived in, despite having many of the most beautiful women lol.

just stay the **** away and quit your friggin' moanin'. christ!

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 22:44
Personal attacks eh?
Bite me arse.I'm not attacking. I said I was having a hard time comprehending. I've been following your thoughts, and don't know how to respond. I'm thinking it's because maybe it's because your in a different geographical region, differnt world. I'm not interested in biting your ass thank you.

JAK
05-11-2009, 22:44
Seriously though, Damascus can't be nearly as bad as these idiots defending it make it seem.
I would go there in a heartbeat if I could, any day of the year, whether they like it or not. lol

JAK
05-11-2009, 22:50
Probably get the **** kicked out of me, but sometimes that's the only way to get to know a place. :D

Blissful
05-11-2009, 22:50
Time to close up this thread.

Hurray for Damascus. And thanks to all who live there and have to put up with a lot every year.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 22:51
seriously Though, Damascus Can't Be Nearly As Bad As These Idiots Defending It Make It Seem.

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Tinker
05-11-2009, 22:51
Seriously though, Damascus can't be nearly as bad as these idiots defending it make it seem.
I would go there in a heartbeat if I could, any day of the year, whether they like it or not. lol

I'll be there for the first time on Friday. :)

JAK
05-11-2009, 22:58
I hope everyone from WB that is going there has a really good time.
I've never actually met any of you in person, but what the **** eh.
Some day.

The Old Fhart
05-11-2009, 23:07
The first time I stayed in Damascus was 1988 and I think I've stayed there for Trail Days about 10 times. I'll be staying there again this year and plan on having another great time, as usual. While some people, who have never been there, and probably never will visit, form their opinions on hearsay they try to present at polling data, I'll be there having a great time with friends I've met over the years. Some of those friends are residents of Damascus, some are fellow hikers, some are both.

Eat your heart out.

JAK
05-11-2009, 23:15
Yeah, maybe I will go someday and learn to be such a pleasant Old Fhart as you. :rolleyes:

I know alot of it is because we like to defend one another, but we sure love to piss on one another eh. lol

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 23:17
but we sure love to piss on one another eh. lol

Just me bein an ass again

JAK
05-11-2009, 23:19
I think you get what I'm trying to say though eh. We all do it.

Chaco Taco
05-11-2009, 23:22
I think you get what I'm trying to say though eh. We all do it.
I know, it was just funny

mudcap
05-11-2009, 23:33
Enjoy everyone !

I know this thread got ugly,but have a god time folks!

JAK
05-11-2009, 23:34
lol. Yeah it is really. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw_yib_OcaM

Tennessee Viking
05-12-2009, 00:25
Never had a bad experience in Damascus. A lot of the locals will have or say hello. But then again, when you have a horde of hungry and very demanding hikers then some people get on edge.

But then again, they probably never had the pleasure of meeting the hiking Damascus residents.

JDCool1
05-12-2009, 01:23
This post is a good example of repeating statements of others without first hand experience. As for the age of some making a differeance. I know a number of older hikers that revert to their 20's something when they hit the trail. One of the main reasons they hit the trail. I spend a great deal of time browsing WB and TJ and both only praise Damascus some 99% of the time. I am 70+ years old and enjoy Trail Days and you can find me in Tent City most of the time.

Let me encourage you who have experienced only the negative rumors check it out before making a judgement. You will enjoy yourselves. It is a cross between "Woodstock" and "BlueGrass festival" You will make of it what you will.

The Mechanical Man
05-12-2009, 01:41
What has gotten into Damascus? Sounds to me like, Damascus is not the "friendliest" town it used to be, or ever will be again.

It was a much nicer town a few years ago, when the Police Chief that got arrested for selling METH was in charge. :D

JAK
05-12-2009, 01:47
Geez I'm still not getting it. To me "Woodstock" just sounds horrifying. Its the crowd size I have absolutely no patience for more than anything else. "Bluegrass festival" sounds much more appealing, but it really depends on crowd size. We have them up here, but usually very small. Just how many people are we talking about here? Don't get me wrong. I love pooping outdoors. I just don't like the idea of tramping through other peoples **** in order to do it. My friend covered a Phish concert for the Bangor Daily News. It sounded like a scene from the Apocolypse, the real thing not the movie.

So just how many people?
A. Moderate lineups at portapotties.
B. Portapotties overflowing with ****.
C. Woods nearby portapotties overflowing with ****.
D. Woods nearby portapotties overflowing with **** and people having sex.

JAK
05-12-2009, 01:51
I presume we must be talking...
A. Moderate lineups at portapotties

Please say it ain't Woodstock, or Burning Man, or something like that.

JAK
05-12-2009, 02:12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus,_Virginia

"The Trail Days festival is held around the end of May each year and draws in excess of 20,000 tourists, making it the largest single gathering of Appalachian Trail hikers anywhere."

Holy crap that's alot of people.

JAK
05-12-2009, 02:30
But considering how many people go to trail days, this thread don't mean squat really. Must be well run.

Bronk
05-12-2009, 02:49
You want a hiker friendly town, be nice to the locals...when I was in Damascus I saw a man and a woman and their two children having dinner at Dots and I bought them their dinner. I did this in several towns along the trail. Having a local tell all their friends and neighbors "a hiker bought us dinner last night" will go a long way to making a hiker friendly town.

And several times when I stayed in a hostel I cleaned the stove and refrigerator and swept the floor.

I didn't stay at the Place because another hiker with a dog was told by the property owner that he could camp by the river and invited me to tent next door...and also because the Place seemed to have a lot of commotion going on there. The next morning as I was walking into town a guy stopped me and asked if I had a dog...when I said no he politely informed me that he owned the property by the river and he only allowed people with dogs to camp there...he did this because at the time there weren't other dog friendly accomodations in town. When I told him I would take my tent down immediately, he backed up a bit and seemed very apologetic...he seemed overly concerned that he might have offended me. I reassured him by saying "this is your town and your property, I will follow your rules," and then I apologized for not knowing them...I had assumed that because it was OK for the guy with the dog to tent by the river that it was OK for me too. He wasn't being an a-hole, he was politely telling me what the rules were.

Like others have said, you will be treated with as much respect as you deserve.

RedneckRye
05-12-2009, 03:16
Wow!
I swore off WhiteBlaze a couple of weeks ago but came back tonight to see if there was anything interesting posted about Trail Days.
Awesome.
All kinds of fun stuff to read.
This will be my tenth Trail Days over the last 12 years and probably my 20th trip to Damascus.
It is a fantastic small town every time I have been there, everyone that I have run into there could not have been nicer.

That being said, if the locals and the police get tired of hikers, who can blame them?
I am as big a fan of having some cocktails and being loud as anyone I know, but hikers can get out of hand. I can see where a group (12, 9, 4 or only 1) of loud, smelly, bearded out of towners may irritate a resident or two.

Maybe this year the campground will be calm and quiet, but probably not.
There will probably be a lot of bitching when some dude gets grabbed and a arrested for something dumb like untaxed whiskey.
I can't wait to go to Damascus for Trail Days, I can't wait till the next time I am there during the "off season".
The only person I don't want to irritate in Damascus is Lone Wolf.
He's too good of a guy, no matter what some folks here may think.

RedneckRye
05-12-2009, 03:30
I also really, really hope that no one gets injured during the water balloon stupidity that is the parade.
A little kid or an old lady hit in the face, a plate glass window shattering from a balloon along Laurel Ave, etc.

I'm starting to sound like an adult, please make it stop.

Hooch
05-12-2009, 05:34
and you keep being an asshttp://www.southernsynsations.com/shirts/mens/thats_the_pot_calling_the_kettle_black.jpg

zoidfu
05-12-2009, 05:36
http://www.southernsynsations.com/shirts/mens/thats_the_pot_calling_the_kettle_black.jpg

I guess you didn't get the memo but Damascus Defense Mode has been turned off.

Lone Wolf
05-12-2009, 05:50
What has gotten into Damascus? Sounds to me like, Damascus is not the "friendliest" town it used to be, or ever will be again.

It was a much nicer town a few years ago, when the Police Chief that got arrested for selling METH was in charge. :D

Geez I'm still not getting it. To me "Woodstock" just sounds horrifying. Its the crowd size I have absolutely no patience for more than anything else. "Bluegrass festival" sounds much more appealing, but it really depends on crowd size. We have them up here, but usually very small. Just how many people are we talking about here? Don't get me wrong. I love pooping outdoors. I just don't like the idea of tramping through other peoples **** in order to do it. My friend covered a Phish concert for the Bangor Daily News. It sounded like a scene from the Apocolypse, the real thing not the movie.

So just how many people?
A. Moderate lineups at portapotties.
B. Portapotties overflowing with ****.
C. Woods nearby portapotties overflowing with ****.
D. Woods nearby portapotties overflowing with **** and people having sex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus,_Virginia

"The Trail Days festival is held around the end of May each year and draws in excess of 20,000 tourists, making it the largest single gathering of Appalachian Trail hikers anywhere."

Holy crap that's alot of people.

both of you can stay away. you won't be missed

zoidfu
05-12-2009, 05:53
Nevermind....

zoidfu
05-12-2009, 05:59
If Damascus is so great then why is it in Virginia instead of somewhere nice like Pennsylvania or New England?
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/zoidfu2_bucket/nick-pendelum-handbook.jpg

Lemni Skate
05-12-2009, 06:23
The best way to spread gossip is to go around asking people IF it is true.

"Sheriff, Is it true that you beat your wife often?"

Lone Wolf
05-12-2009, 06:39
if hikers who stay at The Place could learn to read and comprehend what they read there would be very problems. i was just at The Place and had to wake up someone to get them off the couch. there is a clear sign right next to it saying "no sleeping on furniture please" just about every morning i have to point this out to an illiterate hiker sleeping there

Homer&Marje
05-12-2009, 06:42
Very "few" problems? Forgetting words, mispelling, and illiterate hikers. That's the topics this morning folks.

Back to you in the studio LW:D

CowHead
05-12-2009, 06:58
If you want to raise Cain question the holy Mecca Damascus this post is better than TV more drama than my mama would want me to see. Every town has their issues but if that bothers you than you should avoid that place, personally I can't wait to see all the gear, hikers and the trail, heck if you want to see a crazy place go to Amsterdam Ohio

Homer&Marje
05-12-2009, 07:02
If you want to raise Cain question the holy Mecca Damascus this post is better than TV more drama than my mama would want me to see. Every town has their issues but if that bothers you than you should avoid that place, personally I can't wait to see all the gear, hikers and the trail, heck if you want to see a crazy place go to Amsterdam Ohio

You want a crazy place to go...go to Rabbits Hole Arkansas. 1 dirt road with a public porter potty. Lets put it that way.

Chaco Taco
05-12-2009, 08:41
if hikers who stay at The Place could learn to read and comprehend what they read there would be very problems. i was just at The Place and had to wake up someone to get them off the couch. there is a clear sign right next to it saying "no sleeping on furniture please" just about every morning i have to point this out to an illiterate hiker sleeping there

And no alcohol, no smoking dope, no dogs, etc... LW is right, if people would just follow the dern rules at The Place, they woudnt need someone to "check in" on the them.

Chaco Taco
05-12-2009, 08:46

After thinking about this more, these are the same hikers that will leave and say to people "yea some a**hole woke me up on the couch..... dah dah dah dah" That will be the same person that starts these heresay rumors about the town and give it a bad rap just because they didnt follow the rules. When you are out hiking and just because you are out hiking whether it is a section or a thruhike does not mean that rules and laws do not apply to you.

JAK
05-12-2009, 09:01
Nice theory Chaco. I've had a few of my own.

I just had no idea Trail Days had so many people. Kinda changes everything.
No wonder you people are so obsessed with rules and regulations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnO9Jyz82Ps

Kanati
05-12-2009, 09:03

They're not illerate. They're ignoring the rules.

It just goes with the old saying, "most of the time it is easier to forgiveness than to get permission".

Chaco Taco
05-12-2009, 09:04
Nice theory Chaco. I've had a few of my own.

I just had no idea Trail Days had so many people. Kinda changes everything.
No wonder you people are so obsessed with rules and regulations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnO9Jyz82Ps
Not obsessed with rules, just that people dont act right so rules have to be put ion place for hikers of ALLLL Ages. Its funny how even a 50+ year old man can act a fool once the liquor hits em. Hooch, you got anything to add to that?:D

JAK
05-12-2009, 09:06
The way life should be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNd5R7FQBFg

Tinker
05-12-2009, 09:06

More likely ignorant than illiterate these days.

Entitlement minded folks think they get to break whatever rule they decide doesn't fit into their selfish little lives.

Pedaling Fool
05-12-2009, 09:09
Not obsessed with rules, just that people dont act right so rules have to be put ion place for hikers of ALLLL Ages. Its funny how even a 50+ year old man can act a fool once the liquor hits em. Hooch, you got anything to add to that?:D
I think what JAK is saying (I didn't view the attachement) is that the more people you get in a given space the more you have to create rules and the more you must enforce rules and you need some that are obsessed with rules to maintain a balance. It's just a sad fact of human interactions. I don't like it either.

JAK
05-12-2009, 09:15
Seriously though, it doesn't sound like the problem is that too many misbehave. It sounds like the real problem is that there are just too many people. Why don't they try and stretch things out more instead of encouraging so many people to be in such a small town at the same time? Like maybe one weekend that focuses more on say 'bluegrass', and another that focuses more on families, and another that focuses more on, I don't know, help me out here. What's the point of 20,000 people on the same weekend?

How many are hikers?

JAK
05-12-2009, 09:23
Or maybe the idea is to get most of the trouble over with in a single long weekend, and just try and contain the damage as much as possible by asking them to be civil. That kinda makes sense. I suppose alot of people tend to cluster regardless. Trail Days is probably the best way to manage it. A little bitching and complaining on WB is understandable. Ignorance and curiousity on my part is the norm. Life continues as it should.

Tinker
05-12-2009, 09:26
Seriously though, it doesn't sound like the problem is that too many misbehave. It sounds like the real problem is that there are just too many people. Why don't they try and stretch things out more instead of encouraging so many people to be in such a small town at the same time? Like maybe one weekend that focuses more on say 'bluegrass', and another that focuses more on families, and another that focuses more on, I don't know, help me out here. What's the point of 20,000 people on the same weekend?

How many are hikers?

Good point!
To some of the locals, all of the out-of-towners probably are hikers, and the offensive action of a random creep may be attributed to hikers.
Maybe we should all wear "I am a hiker" badges :-?.
Of course, then we'll have a big disagreement among ourselves as to what a real hiker is. :D

CaseyB
05-12-2009, 09:38
Man, this thread is hard to read. Please don't spread unconfirmed rumours about Damascus. That guy that got arrested out in front of Dots (a few weeks ago, by the way) totally deserved it.
I predict that trail days will be fun, as always.

Flush2wice
05-12-2009, 09:48

That is not the right opinion to get from this thread. Its one guy laying out rumors and false bits and pieces of stories that he heard on the trail. Damascus is a great own and have some of the nicest people on the AT. If you are going to judge it based on a internet forum, you may want to rethink hiking in general

You can't go by what you read here. Most of this soap opera bitching is just people bumping their gums. Damascus is a nice place, that is unless it has changed a lot since I was there last year, and I don't think it has. My experience is that when someone expects everybody to kiss their a-- and it doesn't get done, they go around spreading rumors about how rude and impolite "everyone" is.

Personally, I don't see how the town tolerates all the stuff that shows up their 3/4 of the year. They gotta be special people.

I was trying to be sarcastic by encouraging the whiners to stay away. Guess it didn't translate. I've been to Damascus plenty of times. Great place. Great folks.
I'll be back the last week of May to hike in from Troutdale. Can't wait.

yaduck9
05-12-2009, 09:52

How many are hikers?

20,000 people = 20,000 wallets. Its my humble opinion that what starts out as a nice idea evolves into a, small, three ring circus. The different interests need to come to some understanding of what they want to accomplish. Perhaps one idea is to regulate the amount of alcohol. Another idea would be to stretch the festivities over a series of weeks to thin out the crowds ( JAK's suggestion ). Perhaps modify some of the festivities (?). I am sure there are other ideas out there. It will take a combination of Town Leaders, Business Leaders, and Trail Advocates to make it work. Did I just imply the "C" word ( cooperation? ). Of course everyone has to agree that there are concerns to begin with or nothing will happen.

JAK
05-12-2009, 09:59
So why not spread the mob out over several weekends?

Blue Wolf
05-12-2009, 10:07
I was treated awesome! while I was there the guys at MRO helped me with gear and the town folk was very friendly I had a blast!! oh and thanks for the trail magic Lone Wolf!! I staed at the place and had no problems with anyone!! the trail has been awesome!!

Christus Cowboy
05-12-2009, 10:17
After thinking about this more, these are the same hikers that will leave and say to people "yea some a**hole woke me up on the couch..... dah dah dah dah" That will be the same person that starts these heresay rumors about the town and give it a bad rap just because they didnt follow the rules. When you are out hiking and just because you are out hiking whether it is a section or a thruhike does not mean that rules and laws do not apply to you.

You know Chaco, you make a good point here.... Unfortunately the bad drama seems to travel up and down the trail more quickly than the positive experiences.... I ran into one situation where a hiker in his mid-twenties was proclaiming how he had been harassed by a local resident "for just minding his own business...." . I later found out some details that were "inadvertently absent" from the original story... that being the same hiker had passed out in the guy's driveway in a puddle of his own urine and was blocking the local resident's driveway. When he was unable to get his car out to go to work, he had to call the law to get the guy removed from his property.... This taught me an important lesson which has been reiterated on this thread and that is there is often a wide disparity between facts and hearsay....

Jester2000
05-12-2009, 10:31
A couple of points, and then my opinion about Damascus.

a) It's pointless to come on an internet site to try and confirm or disprove rumors about which the original poster has little or no evidence. All you end up with is this thread. Asking questions about an unfounded rumor is, in fact, spreading the rumor, regardless of the original intent.

b)basing one's opinion of a town based solely on rumors posted on an internet site is equally pointless. If I had based my opinions on what other people said, I never would have gone into Elk Park.

That said, here's my opinion of Damascus:
I've been to Damascus a number of times over the past few years, and I think the town does its best to be accomodating and friendly, and that all things considered they do a pretty amazing job running Trail Days.

I've met and hung out with a number of locals over the years, and they've never been anything other than friendly to me. As for the police presence, they've always tried to lean more towards "protect and serve" than anything else. And when you consider how many different law enforcement bodies are involved, they do a damn fine job of coordinating their efforts and setting the right tone.

I missed Trail Days last year, and am looking forward to seeing everyone down there.

As stated at the beginning, no one should make their decisions based on my opinion posted online. Why not go to Damascus and form your own? Hope to see you all there!

CowHead
05-12-2009, 10:36
You want a crazy place to go...go to Rabbits Hole Arkansas. 1 dirt road with a public porter potty. Lets put it that way.
I live in Portia Arkansas for a year and also Dolph little great spots in the world it's is one of only place you can get HIV from Mosquitoes reason their so big you can have sex with them (this is just a joke)

CowHead
05-12-2009, 10:41
So why not spread the mob out over several weekends?

In one word MONEY!

JAK
05-12-2009, 10:49
I still don't get it, and probably never will. It just seems like a huge number of people for people to be fussing so much over one or two bad incidents or one or two bad rumours, either way. Seriously, when you consider the total numbers of people, what is all the fuss over.

To get a better idea of the numbers, and the real town beneath the numbers:
How busy is Damascus in the few weeks before and after trail days?
How busy is it in the off season? Are most places open all year round?
What is the best time of the year to visit Damascus, for resupply and to see the town itself, rather than for Trail Days?

JAK
05-12-2009, 10:57
As far as money goes, I'm not sure why the same money can't be spread out over several weeks. Then again, I'm not a business person. I can understand there must be some advantages to hosting a huge event in addition to ongoing traffic. I'm not even sure if the 20,000 number is real, or if its too many, or what number might be too many. I've been to a few big events in my life, and 20,000 isn't all that big compared to many, but it is a big enough number where I am from. I don't go to concerts and stuff if they are that big, but obviously many people do. I think you have to try and separate the town from the event, when an even gets that big. Sounds like both are alot of fun and very well run, considering the numbers, but I think there must be a difference between Damascus and Trail Days. Or are they essentially the same?

earlyriser26
05-12-2009, 11:24
Been to damascus several times and everyone has been very nice. The first time I passed through someone flagged me down and gave directions to the hostle. I always here "stories" about people being treated poorly along the trail. In 95% of the cases the person was drunk, breaking the rules, or being a jerk. I have hiked on the AT for almost 40 years and have never had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky, but I think most people get the treatment they give other people.

earlyriser26
05-12-2009, 11:25
P.S. I do know how to spell hear.:)

TD55
05-12-2009, 11:29
They could give out free beer in Damascus and some people on this site would b#tch about the brand.