PDA

View Full Version : The Pie Lady

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:59
Comments, experiences, opinions, good or bad related to the Pie Lady.

Blue Jay
12-26-2002, 11:59
I have stayed there several times. It is always excellent. I always plan a zero day in Monson so I can spend one night with the Pie Lady and one at Shaw's (my only premeditated zero day) although if Mr. Shaw reads this he won't let me in again

SGT Rock
12-26-2002, 13:06
Is there some kind of thing going between these two? This is the first I heard of it.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2002, 13:39
It's a turf war. Shaw used to be the only game in town then the Pie Lady decided to put up and feed hikers and do shuttles. There's plenty of business for both of them.

SGT Rock
12-26-2002, 14:24
Ahh. Too bad. Seems like they could be into helping each other out instead of turf wars.

wacocelt
12-26-2002, 19:11
From my intepretation, it's more of a small town gossipy war than any real grudges. I stayed with the Pie Lady and did work for stay, she was quite happy with my work and made me extra mashed taters and gace me 3 slices of apple pie with cheese. Yum!

Peaks
12-27-2002, 09:12
As recall from Wingfoot, Pie Lady is vegitarian fare. Shaws is meat and potatoes.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2002, 09:15
Nope. She serves all kinds of meat!

pedxing
04-03-2003, 11:22
The pie-lady is a real character - a bit unpredictable. It's easy to see how she could rub someone the wrong way. She can also be a bit cagey, as well as very kind. I've had a little of both from her.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2003, 11:27
That's cuz she drinks like a fish!

Blue Jay
04-03-2003, 15:08
Mr. Wolf, I am shocked and appauled (although I don't know how to spell it). You are not supposed to talk about a lady that way, even if it is true. You're supposed to be out hiking, so I can be the biggest #%&@ on this site.

pedxing
04-03-2003, 18:48
That would explain it!

ridgewalker777
06-09-2004, 15:52
Pie Lady has had her place on the market for over a year--asking price around 120k. I wouldn't like to have to compete with the Shaws'...

walkin' wally
06-09-2004, 20:43
Oh... one of my favorite places to be, Greenville! Gateway to the Northwoods and handy to the AT. And lucky to have a camp at Lily Bay.
Seems like a lot of changes may be coming to Monson if the Lady who wants the National Park builds the Information Center in town. I noticed some houses coming down along main street.

ridgewalker777
06-10-2004, 15:27
Roxanne Quimby--you refer to. Yes, she is quite controversial--the 175 million she made when she sold her "Burt's Bees" is being used to buy up lots of lots and land and promote the non-violent enjoyment of the woods--just what most hikers enjoy. No snowmobiles, no hunting, no logging on designated land, but yes to picnicking, hiking, and camping.

Skeemer
06-11-2004, 08:55
Blue Jay writes:
Mr. Wolf, I am shocked and appauled (although I don't know how to spell it). You are not supposed to talk about a lady that way, even if it is true. You're supposed to be out hiking, so I can be the biggest #%&@ on this site.

Don't worry BJ, you had that prize wrapped up a long time ago.

Actually, LW has a large following.

smokymtnsteve
06-11-2004, 09:03
Blue Jay has a rather large following too..notice that he hasn't been around..I know where he is but I promised not to tell,

Skeemer
06-11-2004, 09:15
SMS writes:
Blue Jay has a rather large following too..notice that he hasn't been around..I know where he is but I promised not to tell,

You probably just saved his life...he owes you.

A-Train
06-11-2004, 20:00
BJ is out hiking in a very hot high up place.,...

Footslogger
06-13-2004, 16:54
This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this post but I thought it was too coincidental to NOT mention it.

My wife (BA Turtle) and I drove out to Cheyenne, Wyoming yesterday to check out the Sierra Trading Post outlet store. On the way we passed a shopping center and something caught my eye. To my amazement, there was a store front with a sign overhead that read ...THE PIE LADY !! Had a nostalgic moment (actually more like a nano-moment) and then we continued on

Anyway ...I was checking out the latest posts here on whiteblaze today and saw this thread. Just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

'Slogger

Doc
10-12-2004, 20:01
I just came from Monson this weekend, doing a little maintaining on Leeman Brook LT. The Pie Lady's place is closed-apparently for good if the BBQ folks are to be believed. The place may be some sort of assisted living place-not for old crippled hikers though. Sidney seems to have moved on , but I have no idea where. End of an era!

Doc

A-Train
10-12-2004, 21:11
Wow, I bet Keith is having another blowout up on Pleasant Street!

Askus3
10-12-2004, 23:36
I was reading Momma's Boy's Journal on trailjounal.com and I excerpted his comments on 10-1-04 from his journal. Yes Pie Lady is shutting down!

"But The Pie Lady has been really great. Breakfast this morning was
scrumpcious, and she is just the nicest lady you've ever met...too bad
this is her last season. I guess she's been doing this for like 16 years
or so, but she just doesn't have the energy for it anymore. I helped
her move some of her stuff to her new apartment, and she's got a huge
house which equates to a lot of stuff! But it made me realize that I may
be one of the last people to enjoy her hospitality. Next years crop will
surely miss out."

Blue Jay
10-13-2004, 09:01
I was reading Momma's Boy's Journal on trailjounal.com and I excerpted his comments on 10-1-04 from his journal. Yes Pie Lady is shutting down!

"But The Pie Lady has been really great. Breakfast this morning was
scrumpcious, and she is just the nicest lady you've ever met...too bad
this is her last season. I guess she's been doing this for like 16 years
or so, but she just doesn't have the energy for it anymore. I helped
her move some of her stuff to her new apartment, and she's got a huge
house which equates to a lot of stuff! But it made me realize that I may
be one of the last people to enjoy her hospitality. Next years crop will
surely miss out."

Very sorry to here that. I stayed there 3 times over the years and always loved it. Long live the Pie Lady.

TJ aka Teej
10-13-2004, 19:18
Sidney seems to have moved on , but I have no idea where. End of an era!
She's moving to a smaller, and easier to take care of, place not far from the Trail. She intends to continue doing shuttles, which she's been doing since the olden pre-Shaw's days of The Old Church Hostel. I've suggested to both her and Lindy of Trail Magic Massage that they collaborate next season.

TJ