PDA

View Full Version : High Points on the AT

puddingboy
05-11-2009, 21:49
My Moms cousin is a peakbagger and has got 41 state highpoints. I was wondering what state highpoints the AT passes through. So far I can think of 3 Kahatdin, Maine, MT Washington, New Hampshire, and Clingmans dome , NC/Tenn?

wcgornto
05-11-2009, 21:51
My Moms cousin is a peakbagger and has got 41 state highpoints. I was wondering what state highpoints the AT passes through. So far I can think of 3 Kahatdin, Maine, MT Washington, New Hampshire, and Clingmans dome , NC/Tenn?

Mt. Mitchell in NC is taller. Clingman“s dome may qualify for TN.

puddingboy
05-11-2009, 22:02
We've got 3 any more?

modiyooch
05-11-2009, 22:04
Mt. Mitchell in NC is taller. Clingman“s dome may qualify for TN.at doesn't cross mt mitchell. There was a list posted on this forum earlier.

Tinker
05-11-2009, 22:58
High Point NJ?

Snowleopard
05-11-2009, 23:05
Mt, Greylock Mass. high point.

Bear Mt. Conn. used to be thought the high point in CT. A point on Mt. Frissell just south of the top is now the CT high point. It's about 1 mile west of the AT, so a short jaunt.

Mt. Rogers, VA is close to the AT (or does the AT go over the top??).

Marta
05-12-2009, 07:21
Mt. Rogers, VA is close to the AT (or does the AT go over the top??).

There's a spur trail of less than a mile to the top of Mt. Rogers. A beautiful walk.

The Solemates
05-12-2009, 09:23
We've also done 41 state highpoints, among others, and are headed out this summer for #s 42 and 43. For a low down on AT states:

The AT is a walkable distance from the GA hp at Brasstown Bald.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the NC hp of Mount Mitchell.

It summits the TN hp of Clingman's Dome.

A 1/2-mile side trail takes you to the top of the VA hp at Mount Rogers.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the KY hp of Black Mountain.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the WV hp of Spruce Knob, although you could probably find trails that connect with the AT.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the MD hp of Backbone Mtn.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the PA hp of Mt Davis.

A short side trail takes you to the top of NJ's High Point.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the NY hp of Mt Marcy.

A short blue blaze takes you to the "side" of Mt Frissell in CT.

It summits Mt Greylock in MA.

From the AT, you could hike North on the Long Trail in VT to reach Mt Mansfield, but it would take you a few days.

It summits Mt Washington in NH.

And, of course, it summits Katahdin in ME.

Hope that helps!

celt
05-12-2009, 09:59
For Vermont / Mt. Mansfield it might be better to include the mileage from the A.T.

From the AT, you could hike North on the Long Trail in VT to reach Mt Mansfield, but it would take you a few days.

Its 98.7 miles one way from Maine Junction to "The Chin". An ambitious hike for three days

celt
05-12-2009, 10:59
I found an excellent description of a route to the high point in Connecticut from the A.T.:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/mount-frissell.html#tocref5

The description includes an ascent of Bear Mountain via the Undermountain Trail. The route isn't an official Blue Blazed trail but does use an historical trail from the north slope of Bear Mt. to the Mt. Frissell Trail on Mt. Washington Rd. The round trip would be between 3 and 3.5 miles.

Chenango
05-12-2009, 11:27
We've also done 41 state highpoints, among others, and are headed out this summer for #s 42 and 43. For a low down on AT states:

The AT is a walkable distance from the GA hp at Brasstown Bald.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the NC hp of Mount Mitchell.

It summits the TN hp of Clingman's Dome.

A 1/2-mile side trail takes you to the top of the VA hp at Mount Rogers.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the KY hp of Black Mountain.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the WV hp of Spruce Knob, although you could probably find trails that connect with the AT.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the MD hp of Backbone Mtn.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the PA hp of Mt Davis.

A short side trail takes you to the top of NJ's High Point.

It is not within reasonable walking distance of the NY hp of Mt Marcy.

A short blue blaze takes you to the "side" of Mt Frissell in CT.

It summits Mt Greylock in MA.

It summits Mt Washington in NH.

And, of course, it summits Katahdin in ME.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. This is a very good summary.

The Solemates
05-12-2009, 12:52
For Vermont / Mt. Mansfield it might be better to include the mileage from the A.T.

Its 98.7 miles one way from Maine Junction to "The Chin". An ambitious hike for three days

Ok..thanks. didnt have time to look it up. I never said '3' days....but a 'few'. 3 would certainly be tough.

celt
05-12-2009, 20:20
Ok..thanks. didnt have time to look it up. I never said '3' days....but a 'few'. 3 would certainly be tough.

My mistake. Sometimes I just think, few = 3, but you correctly meant, "not many". I was really just offering the mileage to improve the list.

veteran
05-13-2009, 13:22
List of AT Mountains

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/features.php