PDA

View Full Version : Where do u sleep?

ted holdridge
06-17-2004, 15:57
Well, I got alot of info out of the Shelter Etiquette thread. I still use my tarp. I am starting to notice that 9 of 10 thrus if not more use shelters exclusively. I've even met a couple who sent their tents home. I personally don't like to limit my hike to 11.2 or 23.1 or 29 miles to stay at one. There is the freedom of seeing any campsite I like and stopping or going a couple of miles past the shelter. I get to set up my home everynight also. Just curious as to the thoughts of shelter-hikers and tent/hammock/tarpers. See you all on the trail!

Hammock Hanger
06-17-2004, 16:05
Well, I got alot of info out of the Shelter Etiquette thread. I still use my tarp. I am starting to notice that 9 of 10 thrus if not more use shelters exclusively. I've even met a couple who sent their tents home. I personally don't like to limit my hike to 11.2 or 23.1 or 29 miles to stay at one. There is the freedom of seeing any campsite I like and stopping or going a couple of miles past the shelter. I get to set up my home everynight also. Just curious as to the thoughts of shelter-hikers and tent/hammock/tarpers. See you all on the trail!
I wouldn't enjoy hiking w/o my hammock. I really enjoy the flexibility of being able to stop anywhere I feel is right for the night. I have made plans to hike a certain amount of miles for a given day and then come across the prettiest place, with perfect trees, that just called out to me. Hell with the miles when I am enjoying and content. Also there are places where the second shelter is too close to call it a day and the third is just to damn far... I also wouldn't want to have to deal with all the Shelter Etiquette issues on a routine basis. --- I like to stay in the shelters once in a while for some comradarie and on my terms. --- Me and my hammock we stay together. COMFORT & FLEXIBILITY!!

Sue/HH

Lone Wolf
06-17-2004, 16:06
Tent or under the stars always. Never in shelters or hostels.

Hammock Hanger
06-17-2004, 16:07
Tent or under the stars always
under the stars is really nice too! (when the bugs aren't out.) Sue/HH

rumbler
06-17-2004, 16:51
I am starting to notice that 9 of 10 thrus if not more use shelters exclusively. I've even met a couple who sent their tents home.

9 out of 10 seems high to me. Even in 03, when rains were scooting everyone into a shelter if room was available, many prefered tents or tarps.

I prefer the tent. Ground is softer and sleep is better (as a stomach sleeper I cannot speak for the hammock crowd). Fewer rodent problems. The only snorer around is me. Warmer in the winter months and FAR fewer bugs in the summer months. Plus you get to pick your spot. There is the hassle of packing up in the morning, but barring rain I will usually go for my tent.

Hiking without a tent is irresponsible. Shelters get full, ankles get twisted. I'm all for lightweight, but I can't willingly go for moronic.

Tim Rich
06-17-2004, 17:13
During my section hikes of seven or eight nights, I'd say we typically spend four or five in shelters, perhaps one night at a hostel if the spacing's right, and usually two nights or so in my tent, an OR personal bivy shelter. It's essentially a bivy sack with a couple of shock-corded poles to keep the bivy away from your face. I've had it for probably ten years, but if I remember it's 1 pound, ten ounces. I'm 6-1, 195, and I have room for a few smaller items along side me, and room for my boots in a trash bag at my feet. At reasonable temps, having my boots in the bivy at my feet has been enough to keep them from freezing. I hate hiking in frozen boots - the achilles give me fits.

Tim

Doctari
06-18-2004, 08:59
I looked at my notes from my last section hike. I spent 7 nights of 14 in my tent, so 50% of the time.
I always slept better in the tent than in a shelter so next trip I'm going to try for 100% in the tent.

Doctari.

MizWaterfall
06-18-2004, 09:06
Tent, as much and as often as possible. Unless it's a horrible rainstorm, then I try to get a shelter.

Big Oak
06-18-2004, 18:29
I haven't tried the hammock setup yet, but it sounds real interesting. I mostly carry a tarp right now. Much better than the heavy Clip Flashlight tent I had.

pvtmorriscsa
06-19-2004, 04:24
Tent or under the stars always. Never in shelters or hostels.My thoughts exactly.

hungryhowie
06-20-2004, 15:44

During my thru-hike I spent an overwhelming majority of the nights in a shelter. My thru-hike lasted for 175 days. In approximations (because it's been a while since I've counted...), I spent about 40 nights in a hotel/hostel (I had 35+ zero days), and 120 nights in shelters...you do the math.

After the trail I began to use my own shelter more often. While thru-hiking I was part of a community...my fellow hikers and I enjoyed staying the nights together, talking, catching up on the day's events, sharing info on the sections/towns up ahead, etc. Afterward, either I hike alone or I go out with a friend. We're not part of a community like I was on the AT, so I/we just keep to myself/ourselves. As a result, we only stay in shelters if they're empty and are convenient to our day's end...probably only about 5% of the time. I have enjoyed all of my experiences regardless of where I've spent the night. On my next thru, I bet I won't stay in shelters more than 10 times...I've just gotten so I like my tarp and/or my hammock too much.

-Howie

Pencil Pusher
06-21-2004, 02:35
I'm about to fall asleep reading this

Lone Wolf
02-01-2008, 11:50
I'm about to fall asleep reading this

WAKE UP!!:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2008, 11:54
Not a thru, but a section hiker - never in a shelter. Sometimes in a hammock, more often in a tent or under a tarp.

saimyoji
02-01-2008, 11:54
WAKE UP!!:banana

Get a job!! :banana

GGS2
02-01-2008, 12:14
Get a job!! :banana

What's that?

rafe
02-01-2008, 12:50
Not a thru, but a section hiker - never in a shelter. Sometimes in a hammock, more often in a tent or under a tarp.

Shelters are fine when they're not overcrowded. I had them mostly to myself on this year's section. Hike off-season, away from the herd. That's the trick. Sure, I carry a tent. There are times when shelters are full, or you just want a quieter scene, or your day's hike ends far away from the nearest one.

Seeker
02-01-2008, 14:20
What's that?

where you go to read Whiteblaze.:D

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 14:56
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

Terry7
02-01-2008, 15:03
I have said this before. Why would you wont to go out on the trail to spend your nights sleeping in a small room with snoring, farting, and sometimes rude people? Mice running across your face in the middle of the night, no thanks.

Grampie
02-01-2008, 16:08
On my 201 day hike I spent 97 nights in my tent, 65 nights in shelters and the rest in hostels or motels.
I snore quite a bit so I limited my shelter stays to when the weather was bad or the shelter was empty.
It's so nice to have a tent so that you can stop where and when you want.

CaseyB
02-01-2008, 16:13
Shelters are fine when they're not overcrowded. I had them mostly to myself on this year's section. Hike off-season, away from the herd. That's the trick. Sure, I carry a tent. There are times when shelters are full, or you just want a quieter scene, or your day's hike ends far away from the nearest one.

Yeah, shelters are cool without all the peeps. I stayed at Mountaineer Falls alone late last Oct- very nice, no tent to pack up next day. Stayed at Overmtn. barn the night before with 8-10 others, good company. My take is it just depends on who you get and how many. My $0.02

mweinstone
02-01-2008, 16:14
i sleep where theres friends and water in that order.

CaseyB
02-01-2008, 16:15
Can't just read, must post. Typing sounds like work.:p

Kirby
02-01-2008, 16:59
I prefer tenting, especially since, even if the varmint get into my food bag, I am not woken up by them in the middle of the night.

I plan on tenting this year as much as possible. I will be able to keep my head lamp as long as I please, use my cell phone(If I need to), without someone bitching me out about ruining the wilderness experience.

While I enjoy having people around to talk to while setting up camp, I prefer to have my own sleeping space.

Kirby

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 17:05
Tent most of the time. Shelter when I'm amongst friends - 'Mobsters.'

Red Hat
02-01-2008, 18:03
When I started hiking in 05, I planned on using my tent exclusively. It didn't take long to figure out that it was taking me lots longer to pack up in the morning than most of my hiking buddies. Plus I often was carrying extra lbs in wet tent. I started using the shelters most of the time and enjoyed the company of folks I was with. Kept my tent for "emergencies" and used it in Shenandoahs when I got slacked to the campgrounds by Gordon and Sue. (That was her last time on the AT before she went into the nursing home where she died this past year)

Blissful
02-01-2008, 20:14
I can see this has been recycle the old threads day. Which is good for me since these were started BB (before Blissful). :)

Tenting if I can. Used shelters in bad weather, but not always. Loved my hubba hubba.

SlowLightTrek
02-01-2008, 21:14
One of the things I liked about the shelter was that it was eaiser and more comfortable to cook dinner. Especially when you are worn out. I usually tented unless it was raining or the shelter was empty or near empty. I honestly liked watching the mice scurry to the shelter long about evening time.

peanuts
02-01-2008, 21:30
i sleep in a hammock:D:D:D

rafe
02-01-2008, 21:31
i sleep in a hammock:D:D:D

Well, isn't that special. :rolleyes:

gungho
02-01-2008, 21:43
I can see this has been recycle the old threads day. Which is good for me since these were started BB (before Blissful). :)

Tenting if I can. Used shelters in bad weather, but not always. Loved my hubba hubba.

I luv my Hubba Hubba also,it would have to be a pretty bad scenario not to use it:-?

AT-HITMAN2005
02-01-2008, 23:11
i did all 3 "types". shelter, tent, and cowboy. over mountain shelter is an awesome place to cowboy. saw a ton of shooting stars there.

Chaco Taco
02-01-2008, 23:17
After my experience at Mt Leconte, I vowed to avoid shelters at all cost.

weary
02-01-2008, 23:39
I have said this before. Why would you wont to go out on the trail to spend your nights sleeping in a small room with snoring, farting, and sometimes rude people? Mice running across your face in the middle of the night, no thanks.
In all these years I can't think of more than a half dozen rude people that I've met in shelters.

ChinMusic
02-02-2008, 00:15
Tenting is the way I go, quieter, softer, no mice. I have yet to sleep in a shelter, but I may give it a try some day.

Bearpaw
02-02-2008, 00:23
Outside of bug season, I don't mind shelters, though I'd rather hammock or tarp than stay in a packed shelter.

Cherokee Bill
02-02-2008, 15:24
After 20+ years on the "AT", training in Mtn Search & Rescue and at 61-yo I have learned one thing;

"Prepare for the worst and pray for the best"! Get a "lite-wt" tent and carry it!

End of story!;)

dessertrat
02-02-2008, 16:17
under the stars is really nice too! (when the bugs aren't out.) Sue/HH

That's why a tent with bugnetting on the top or sides is nice to have. Just leave the fly pulled back, and if it starts to rain, pull the fly into place over the mesh.

I will sleep in a shelter once in a blue moon. I usually much prefer to tent, even if I am right next to a shelter.

SunnyWalker
02-03-2008, 01:33
I have only section hiked the AT. But I have always used my hh (Hennesee Hammock). The wood floors on those shelters did not look to soft, they were often dirty, and the thoughts of mice running across me and etc., does not appeal to me. Maybe someday i will try one. I think the greatest argument FOR using them is when one is on a thru hike the sense of community must be pretty appealing. I suppose one would miss that if they hung up each night away from a shelter. I think I could fulfill this "need" during the day and etc. -SunnyWalker

AmyJanette
02-03-2008, 13:01
I haven't yet had the chance to hike the AT, but I'm in the planning stage for a thru-hike in 2010. I thought you were required to use shelters in GSMNP? Or am I mistaken? Cause if I am mistaken, then I will be happy because from the sounds of it, i will prefer tenting over shelters. (I have an intense dislike of mice...I love all other animals, but i once woke up with a mouse on me when i was little, and I'm afraid I never got over the experience...lol)

Are there any places where you are required to use shelters?

rafe
02-03-2008, 14:29
I haven't yet had the chance to hike the AT, but I'm in the planning stage for a thru-hike in 2010. I thought you were required to use shelters in GSMNP?

IIRC, if the shelter is full (as it well may be during peak season) then you may legally tent near the shelter.

Are there any places where you are required to use shelters?Generally no, but similar issues arise in the Whites because camping opportunities are rare in certain areas (particularly the long ridge walks above treeline.) There are occasional short stretches where camping is prohibited (eg. between Boiling Springs and Darlington shelter in PA.)

SunnyWalker
01-29-2009, 23:14
Terrapin: can you plan around this on a thur hike and still camp out?

Dogwood
01-30-2009, 14:10
Planning on not carrying a shelter the whole way during an AT thru-hike during typical thru-hiking months is a BAD idea. Just one problem, of which many U can possibly encounter, is having no shelter to sleep in in bad weather. If U R considering going the whole way without a shelter Don't Do It! is my advice.

Blissful
01-30-2009, 14:31
Tenting is way better than shelters - they are noisy, dirty, cold, and full of mice.

Kanati
01-30-2009, 17:13
I enjoy stealth camping but stayed in the shelters a few times when I was feeling overly sociable or if was raining really hard. Almost always regretted it. My last night on the trail I slept in Speck Pond shelter between the two worse snoorers of the entire hike. The boards were actually vibrating from it. I kept my radio on classic rock all night and did not sleep any. Sort of lay there in a stooper somewhere between awake and asleep.

Stealth camping in New England has a drawback however. The next morning your tent, ground cloth and boots, if you leave them in the vestabule are covered in slugs. Slimy, sticky slugs that leave an orange colored smear if you mash em.

Happy hiking. :sun

stranger
02-01-2009, 00:02
I agree with the posts to avoid shelters. I used them quite commonly back in the mid 90's on my early hikes but last year I think I slept in 3 during a 500+ hike, I regretted two of those nights!

Tent, tarp, hammock, whatever - so much better in my opinion. I would rather have 100% of the space in my tent than 10% of the space of a shelter.

I have a theory that many hikers are fearful of camping in the rain, I don't know why cause it's really not that difficult, but it seems to be consistent with the great lengths some people go to in order to sleep in a ratty old shelter with mice.

Tin Man
02-01-2009, 00:15
Terrapin: can you plan around this on a thur hike and still camp out?

regarding terrapin's comments on camping in the whites, a thru-hiker should have no problem traversing the trail above tree-line and making it back below tree-line to camp. as a section-hiker, i stayed at lake of the clouds because i was not in shape to go the distance and wanted the hut experience (you won't miss anything if you skip that!)

SassyWindsor
02-02-2009, 00:55
Just another Reason NOT to Sleep in Shelters...

Just returned from 2 nights in GSMNP. Stopped at full Ice Water Spgs Shelter to look for some hikers we met the day before. Current shelter discussion was about a hiker who was smoking in his sleeping bag, ashes dropping and setting his bag on fire causing a big stinking commotion, I assume it happened the night before. Luckily, no one was hurt. I already had smoking hikers on my list of reasons for not sleeping in a shelter (annoyed/allergic to the smoke). Now I can add "the possibility of getting burned alive".

buff_jeff
02-02-2009, 15:06
Depends. I'm more comfortable in my tent, but I do sleep alright in shelters even though I've never carried a sleeping pad. I can go either way, although shelters are easier.

George
02-02-2009, 15:29
90% shelter carry a bivy for bugs,leaks,blowing snow/rain,dirty floors,keeping the sleep system together,mice off the face and nights outside the shelter

mindi
02-02-2009, 15:31
I hated sleeping in shelters, especially in the Smokies. There is always someone snoring (I took earplugs, but still)..they're uncomfortable and dirty, and there are mice running around all the time, people getting up and down, etc. etc..then you have to take into consideration if you are an early riser or late sleeper and disturbing others/being disturbed.
I preferred being in my tarptent whenever possible.

earlyriser26
02-02-2009, 17:05
First 15 years I only used shelters. Last 20 years I have NEVER stayed in a shelter even in a rain storm. Tenting all the way unless safety is an issue do to weather.

garlic08
02-02-2009, 17:26
As far as tenting in the Smokies, I was always able to legally tent there last year. I went through in mid-April, don't know if it was peak thru-hiking season or not, but I made it point to hike extra-long days and get to a shelter right at sunset when it was guaranteed they'd be filled up. Worked great.

I had three nights in shelters on my thru (twice I was too lazy to try to pitch a tarptent on the wood platforms in ME), and regretted it every time. Tent, tarp, or hammock is much more comfortable, and well worth the minor fuss of pitching and breaking camp.

Tinker
02-02-2009, 21:21
Guess.:D

Doxie
02-04-2009, 20:23
On our thru last year, we only spent a handful of nights in the shelter, usually only because it was raining really hard and we didn't want to pack up a wet tent the next morning, or there just wasn't a good spot to tent (very rare). We spent a lot of nights at the shelter for the company, but retired to our nearby tent to sleep. I sleep better, it's warmer and cozier, no snoring (except our own), no mice, no bugs, and a little privacy. Not to mention the flexibility of not having to stay at the shelter if the miles don't work out, which happened a lot for us. I thought it was worth the weight.

YoungMoose
02-04-2009, 20:34
i dont like having to limit myself to a shelters distance. i would rather take a tent or tarp