PDA

View Full Version : Bear bag in vermont?

Alaskanhkr23
05-12-2009, 10:44
do you have to bear bag in vermont? don't wanna have extra pound or what not if i dont have to

garlic08
05-12-2009, 12:32
What extra pound? My silnylon food bag and 50' of paracord don't weigh more than three ounces. I carry a food bag and some cord anyway, so the extra cord to hang a bag maybe weighs an ounce.

I don't remember feeling the need to hang food in Vermont, but I did it anyway mainly to keep mice out. I think most AT and LT hikers don't hang food in that area. I don't remember seeing any bear sign.

Alaskanhkr23
05-12-2009, 12:39
well i appreciate an non sarcastic responce.

Littlest Hobo
05-12-2009, 14:50
Had a problem with a bear a couple of years ago at the Seth Warner shelter.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=202946

Peaks
05-12-2009, 17:46
I wouldn't expect a bear problem in most states where there is a hunting season. But, there are still mice and other critters. A silnylon food bag and parachute doesn't weigh much, and it's easy to throw up a quick bear line. Just do it.

JAK
05-12-2009, 18:09
I would agree that hanging food doesn't add much weight. You want to keep the smells down anyway, even if you hang. The only real added weight is cord, which also serves as spare shoelaces and tarplines and cord for first aid or repair purposes. Whether you hang or not, I think its most important to keep the smells down.

Blissful
05-12-2009, 20:15
What extra pound? My silnylon food bag and 50' of paracord don't weigh more than three ounces. I carry a food bag and some cord anyway, so the extra cord to hang a bag maybe weighs an ounce.

I don't remember feeling the need to hang food in Vermont, but I did it anyway mainly to keep mice out. I think most AT and LT hikers don't hang food in that area. I don't remember seeing any bear sign.

I hang anyway for other critters besides bears.

And my bear bag set up is probably few ounces too.

pattydivins
05-15-2009, 13:29
Do you guys hang food in a rain storm or do you sleep with the food in that case?

Yukon
05-15-2009, 13:38
Had a problem with a bear a couple of years ago at the Seth Warner shelter.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=202946

Wow, this is the only story of this kind that I have ever heard of on the LT...

Landshark
05-17-2009, 11:20
I hang my food in Vermont but I do have a bear phobia, as well as hypoglycemia, so I am up s-creek without a paddle if anything eats my food. I haven't ever had any animals in my food other than a hummingbird that was investigating it (he didn't eat anything). My personal opinion, as well as that of the Green Mountain Club I believe, is that we all should do a good job of bear-bagging our food even in areas free of bear problems, so those areas don't start to get bear problems.

Littlest Hobo
05-17-2009, 11:45
Wow, this is the only story of this kind that I have ever heard of on the LT...

I should note that from the looks of it, Seth Warner is fairly close to an ATV track (judging by the noises anyway). As a result, there was a lot of trash close to the shelter, which is probably what attracted the bear there in the first place.

Did my best to clean up the site and carry out what trash I could the following day.

garlic08
05-17-2009, 12:22
Do you guys hang food in a rain storm or do you sleep with the food in that case?

I hang in the rain. I always make sure everything in my food bag is rainproof--no cardboard boxes or paper wrappers or exposed food.

I'm trying to come up with a BS story about a food bag full of raw tapioca....

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:43
im going to bear bag,just so i don't have to the chance.so....