PDA

View Full Version : Bear Bag Line Tangled....

jrnj5k
05-12-2009, 11:29
How do you guys and girls keep your bear bag line from getting tangled in your pack? I just read this cool tip that said to cut a small piece of foam off a pad and cut slits in it and then wrap it around that.

JTCruiser
05-12-2009, 12:00
How do you guys and girls keep your bear bag line from getting tangled in your pack? I just read this cool tip that said to cut a small piece of foam off a pad and cut slits in it and then wrap it around that.

I like to coil it in a figure-8 pattern around thumb and little finger, then tie the loose end around the middle with a slipknot to hold it until next use. This works pretty well and is easier than wrapping around an object and then having to unwrap it.

Another method (that works better with a thicker line, which you may not need) is to hold the end of the rope (and then the coil) in one hand, and lay loops on first one side and then the other of your fist, finally tieing it off with a loop around the head of the coil. This is a little harder to picture and explain--I've been looking for an on-line description but haven't found it yet.

Alligator
05-12-2009, 12:04
I coil it up like JT does. My bear rope loops through a small bag that I put a rock into for throwing the rope. I just stuff the cord into the stuff sack.

garlic08
05-12-2009, 12:25
I also use JT's second method with a 50' length of paracord. It also helps to start by grabbing the half-way point on the line and coil it doubled up. The key is to alternate directions while coiling, so you don't wind it all up and make a mess.

JTCruiser
05-12-2009, 12:31
My bear rope loops through a small bag that I put a rock into for throwing the rope. I just stuff the cord into the stuff sack.

What he said. This is MUCH easier than trying to tie the rope around a rock! :p

garlic08
05-12-2009, 13:19
What he said. This is MUCH easier than trying to tie the rope around a rock! :p

Absolutely. Some hikers use a rock in a sock, a Nalgene, or even a multitool tied to the cord. But personally I don't throw anything anywhere near a tree branch that I wouldn't want to leave up in the tree if the line got snagged. It's been years since I've done that, but I sure hate it when it happens. Look up in the trees around a well-used camping area on the AT (especially the southern end) and you'll see what I mean.:-?

Blissful
05-12-2009, 13:52
We found cord on the trail on '07 wrapped around a plastic holder. Still working great. :)

Jayboflavin04
05-13-2009, 12:07
pinky/thumb fiqure 8 method for me. Then I stuff the cord into the little rock sack.

take-a-knee
05-15-2009, 18:36
pinky/thumb fiqure 8 method for me. Then I stuff the cord into the little rock sack.

That's the ticket. Get that spectra line from Anti Gravity Gear or Gossamer Gear, WAAAAYYYY better than paracord. 7/64's Amsteel Blue from Redden Marine is cheaper and slightly heavier.

Toolshed
05-15-2009, 18:52
I run loops around my upper arm and thumb. Bend your arm 60 degrees and just run loops around. Leave 1 foot on each end (Start with 12 inches hanging from your hand) and then collapse the coil in your hand. I then tightly roll the ends of the line in opposite directions around the center of the collapsed coil and tie the ends of with a square knot. This will stop the collapsed coils from tangling.
Takes less than a minute for 50 feet - Has worked fine with the same 2mm cord for over 18 years. Also works well for my larger diameter ropes.
Also.... Good rope coils well. Crap rope tangles well.

take-a-knee
05-15-2009, 21:29
That's the ticket. Get that spectra line from Anti Gravity Gear or Gossamer Gear, WAAAAYYYY better than paracord. 7/64's Amsteel Blue from Redden Marine is cheaper and slightly heavier.

I forgot to add you need about 40 ft to hang PCT style, which is the only way to go.

Homer&Marje
05-15-2009, 21:50
I run loops around my upper arm and thumb. Bend your arm 60 degrees and just run loops around. Leave 1 foot on each end (Start with 12 inches hanging from your hand) and then collapse the coil in your hand. I then tightly roll the ends of the line in opposite directions around the center of the collapsed coil and tie the ends of with a square knot. This will stop the collapsed coils from tangling.
Takes less than a minute for 50 feet - Has worked fine with the same 2mm cord for over 18 years. Also works well for my larger diameter ropes.
Also.... Good rope coils well. Crap rope tangles well.

Uh oh. That there's what I do cause my pappy taught me and his pappy taught him....and he is the only opinion that matters.:D

Should take less than 30 seconds. But standards are different in different places.:rolleyes:

Many Walks
05-16-2009, 00:08
JT's second method with para chord clipped to my pack with a light carabiner. We use the PCT method to hang...when we don't sleep with our food.

hoz
05-16-2009, 08:54
We used to coil our climbing ropes with this, no rope salad method:

Grasp the two ends of the untangled line and start coiling. When done take approx 3' of BOTH ends and wrap those around the coil several times, then bring the two loose ends through one end of the coil, chain hitching it at the end of the coil.

When you want to deploy simply remove the loose ends from the coil and unwrap. Then while holding on to the loose ends throw the coil out and the line will deploy without tangles.

Another is after coiling you simply tie a half hitch using the entire coil, but I have got some tangles using this method.