PDA

View Full Version : SOBO in 6 days

TrailHeroes
05-12-2009, 18:41
On May 18th, I (White Lightning) will be starting SOBO with my buddy (Eduardo). Unfortunately, Katahdin will not be open at this time, but we will be getting dropped off at Abol and hike up to Katahdin Stream CG and camp there on the 17th (this Sunday). On Monday morning, we will begin the long trek from Katahdin Stream CG to Springer.

We will be updating a blog from an iPhone whilst on the trail and you can follow us along via our website: www.trailheroes.com

We will be shooting a documentary about hiking the trail along our hike. If you are interested in being part of this documentary, send us an email at [email protected]. I'm sure there are many of you out there with many amazing stories that we'd love to hear.

We hope to see some of you guys out there on the trail!

Blissful
05-12-2009, 19:49
Have a good hike!

Whiskey Ninja
05-13-2009, 19:00
When does Katahdin open? I was going to start in the south but thinking north first before all the mosquitoes get too bad.

ChinMusic
05-13-2009, 19:37
Bring a bug net. Bring two.

laherb
05-13-2009, 20:47
good luck. i'll be following you on the website.

Pathfinder
05-13-2009, 21:05
Good luck guys! I'm looking forward to some awesome pictures like the ones on your site. Finishing Maine in 12 days should be tough... along with eating just powerbars... you guys are crazy! :D

TJ aka Teej
05-14-2009, 00:25
When does Katahdin open?
'09 Probably May 15th, as day hikers have summited via Abol this week.
'08 May 29th (Park had canceled May 15th opening)
'07 May 31st
'06 May 18th (Abol May 15th)
'05 June 4th (Abol May 30th)
'04 May 16th
'03 May 24th
'02 May 15th (Day hikers summited via Abol May 10th)
'01 prior to May 20th
'00 Memorial Day Weekend
'99 May 18th (per South Walker '99)

TrailHeroes
05-14-2009, 07:30
I've called Baxter State Park numerous times over the past few weeks and I was told Katahdin would be open May 15th every time...except two days ago. I spoke with someone named Mary-Beth who told me that Katahdin would probably not be open until the second week in June. Her information stands in stark contrast to what the others up there have told me. I am hoping that when I call back today, I will have a definite answer.

Thanks for all your support guys! We're trying to bring comedy to the hiking world. After our whole hike is said and done, we will be putting together a Mockumentary of the whole thing. It will paint a great picture of what it's like to hike the AT, but at the same time strive to be hillarious.

Engine
05-14-2009, 07:38
Hike well and enjoy!

Gaiter
05-14-2009, 11:03
I will type out the achievements and make daily updates to this list as we go along. I will replace the “INCOMPLETE” labels as we knock out the achievvements. Ian will apparently be keeping score.

9. “No soup for you!” – Be refused service at an eating establishment.
—–
INCOMPLETE

Please don't complete this 'achievement', we need to work together to improve our relationship w/ trail towns, this 'achievement' is just going to make life harder for other hikers

Gaiter
05-14-2009, 11:05
http://www.trailheroes.com/basecamp/files/webpowerbar.jpg
and you guys are sooo going to never eat another powerbar again after this hike, lol

TrailHeroes
05-14-2009, 14:56
Hey Gaiter,

Don't worry, we aren't actually trying to achieve the "No soup for you!" We were just joking about how we might get turned away because we will smell like death. So, we thought that getting turned away from a pancake buffet would be pretty depressing, and this achievement would at least give us something to laugh about.

Make no mistake...we do NOT want to be refused service at any eating establishment. Also, we completely understand upholding the good reputation of hikers everywhere. We behave very responsibly (strong practitioners of Leave No Trace). I want to make this clear so that others do not perceive us as irresponsible.

Gaiter
05-14-2009, 14:57
okay cool...... had a feeling it was a joke but ya never know

Marta
05-14-2009, 18:20
and you guys are sooo going to never eat another powerbar again after this hike, lol

No kidding! I went off Snickers and they were just part of my food supply.

Good luck, guys!

boarstone
05-14-2009, 20:47
trailheroes: you might want to consider backtracking via shuttle to K. to hike it after you come out of the "100 mile wilderness" in Monson and then shuttle back to Monson from K. and continue south. Shaw's can shuttle you.

kanga
05-15-2009, 07:19
No kidding! I went off Snickers and they were just part of my food supply.

Good luck, guys!

even the smell of snickers makes me sick now..

sasquatch2014
05-15-2009, 07:53
Please don't complete this 'achievement', we need to work together to improve our relationship w/ trail towns, this 'achievement' is just going to make life harder for other hikers

I don't know there is that one @$$#*!& who owns the Coffee Shop by Culvers Gap in NJ that refuses all hikes no matter how clean you smell. This stupid SOB is beyond salvation so knock it off the list there.

RITBlake
05-15-2009, 10:02
Nice, I can tell by your positive attitudes that you both will make it.

Might be the craziest pair of SOBO's since those Maine2Georgia.com boys in 2005 :)

Good luck guys and bring plenty of deet.

RITBlake
05-15-2009, 10:04
And honestly, honestly....

anyone that has an XBOX style achievement list for hiking is OK in my book:

http://www.trailheroes.com/achievements/achievements.html

UCONNMike
05-15-2009, 10:17
Great site guys, like Blake said, the achievement list is awesome, can't wait to see you knock some of those out.

Good luck out there, and have fun

RITBlake
05-27-2009, 00:08
Nice, I can tell by your positive attitudes that you both will make it.

Well I couldn't have been more wrong. After just three days on the trail these lads are packing it in.

Link: http://trailheroes.wordpress.com/

I had a feeling they'd be off the trail very soon after they skipped Katahdin on day 1.

Oh... and hope you like powerbars.

http://trailheroes.com/paulscorner/paulscorner/paulscorner/atprep_files/page30-1002-full.jpg

warraghiyagey
05-27-2009, 08:43
Sometimes it's better to hike the trail and talk about it later. . . just sayin. . .

Lone Wolf
05-27-2009, 08:46
Sometimes it's better to hike the trail and talk about it later. . . just sayin. . .

kinda like having your local paper do a big article on you before you leave then you're back home a week later with a "bad knee". :D what is a bad knee?:-?

Frick Frack
05-27-2009, 08:52

....I was thinking the same thing.....

warraghiyagey
05-27-2009, 08:52
a bad knee is a knee that knew better than it's owner did. . .

buckwheat
05-27-2009, 09:04

You shouldn't even bother, as pound for pound, PowerBars suck as a nutrient on long hikes. They're heavy, and don't provide many calories (usually around 220 per bar).

There are far better nutritional bars (lighter, with more calories) than these bricks.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2009, 09:06
Dot's is a nutritional bar

UCONNMike
05-27-2009, 09:22
Wow, very disappointing. I was wrong about these guys too, and I kind of gave up on them when I heard they didn't try Katahdin.

Weak effort, but I guess this is why the Sobo success rate is only about 20-25%

warraghiyagey
05-27-2009, 09:27
Their effort has nothing to do with the SOBO success rate. . .

RITBlake
05-27-2009, 09:35
Their effort has nothing to do with the SOBO success rate. . .

Agree. Sounds like they were more interested in the idea of thru hiking rather then the actual act of thru hiking.

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2009, 09:41
Blake:

Your last comment also applies to most of the people here on WB. :D

RITBlake
05-27-2009, 13:17
Blake:

That's the truth

Marta
05-27-2009, 17:08
kinda like having your local paper do a big article on you before you leave then you're back home a week later with a "bad knee". :D what is a bad knee?:-?

I can show the world two bad knees every time I wear shorts.

Ridge Rat
05-27-2009, 17:11
Blake:

Hey, I represent that statement... Some of us that are dreamers are still making the milage in sectioning. I figure I will be done the trail before I get a chance to thru, but hey at least I still had fun.

Buzz_Lightfoot
05-27-2009, 18:14
I knew they would never do it. To do a SOBO hike in 6 days they would have to do 362 miles a day. No way. The most I ever did was 300. :p

RITBlake
05-27-2009, 19:42
These two guys should hold a telesummit w/ the guy who created the thru hiker guide website.

Foyt20
05-27-2009, 19:54
I don't know there is that one @$$#*!& who owns the Coffee Shop by Culvers Gap in NJ that refuses all hikes no matter how clean you smell. This stupid SOB is beyond salvation so knock it off the list there.

Would the initals of that deli be J2G? I had a bad experience there too :mad:

YoungMoose
05-27-2009, 20:40
stupid question but i wonder how much all of those power bars costed. hehe

High Life
06-27-2009, 18:03
Would the initals of that deli be J2G? I had a bad experience there too :mad:

he was mean to me in 07, but was ok in 08 .. still not nice
but , i knew the rules this time around .. dont smile , dont talk
DEF> DO NOT BRING YOUR PACK and please sit on the bunch on the side in the alley ..lol that guy omfg

SunnyWalker
06-27-2009, 21:03
Is there a SOBO thru hiker website? Where? what? Thanks.

saimyoji
06-27-2009, 21:08
he was mean to me in 07, but was ok in 08 .. still not nice
but , i knew the rules this time around .. dont smile , dont talk
DEF> DO NOT BRING YOUR PACK and please sit on the bunch on the side in the alley ..lol that guy omfg

AT Deli Nazi ala Seinfeld?