PDA

View Full Version : Access to VA/TN Border by truck

Michele
05-12-2009, 20:13
Hey all,

I've got a few questions about getting to the VA/TN border, any information by those of you who know is greatly appreciated:

1. Are these the correct directions to take out of Damascus?
Head out of town (towards Abingdon) on HWY 58 for 1.2 miles
Turn left onto Government Road for 1 mile
Turn left onto Almond Lane--I'm assuming by looking at my maps that this Almond Lane is the closest I can get and then I'll have to hike into the trail

2. If I'm assuming correctly about the directions, how far is the walk from where you park to the VA/TN border on the AT and is it marked at all?

3. Do you need a high clearance vehicle for this route?

Thanks a ton!!!!

~Certain

Cabin Fever
05-12-2009, 21:53
Hey all,

I've got a few questions about getting to the VA/TN border, any information by those of you who know is greatly appreciated:

1. Are these the correct directions to take out of Damascus?
Head out of town (towards Abingdon) on HWY 58 for 1.2 miles
Turn left onto Government Road for 1 mile
Turn left onto Almond Lane--I'm assuming by looking at my maps that this Almond Lane is the closest I can get and then I'll have to hike into the trail

2. If I'm assuming correctly about the directions, how far is the walk from where you park to the VA/TN border on the AT and is it marked at all?

3. Do you need a high clearance vehicle for this route?

Thanks a ton!!!!

~Certain

Why don't you just hike there?!?! Hike in from McQueens Gap, Backbone Rock Trail or from Damascus.

Tennessee Viking
05-12-2009, 22:09
I would contact Lone Wolf or Wanderer about the Govt Roads.

The easiest thing is to just walk the 3.5 miles to the stateline from Damascus, the Backbone trail, or access the trail from McQueens Gap.

The Government roads are a little deceiving. I driven the the inital part of Government Road only. Driving west out of Damascus you turn up the road toward Damascus Middle School & Rescue Squad. The paved road will soon turn into a fairly graded forest road. After you pass a Cherokee Forest sign and enter Tennessee for a little bit. The road will come out into the back part of Alvarado called Sweet Hollow. Turn left here onto Sweet Hollow Road (I have never driven this section). But it passes some farms. And there is a road that bares left called Harr Road that will go up to McQueens Gap which is about 7 miles from the state line.

The access I have always known is to take Shady Ave out of Damascus going into TN. Pass Backbone Rock. You can actually park here at the Rec area, and take Backbone Rock Trail and take the 2.5 mile blue blaze to the trail. Its comes to about a mile south of the stateline.

But for car access, just keep going on TN133, and as you start passing houses and enter the Shady Valley community, there is McQueens Gap Road. That will take you to the top of Holston and the trail.

Its a little rough, if you have a low riding vehicle. There are a couple places were you might hit the bottom of your car but it is driveable for the most part.

Michele
05-12-2009, 23:05
Why don't you just hike there?!?! Hike in from McQueens Gap, Backbone Rock Trail or from Damascus.

Um...cause I may be carrying a cooler and stove and foldable chairs and.......seriously, you can trust that I'm asking about driving directions for a reason