PDA

View Full Version : SOBO - How Much Clothing

Wrangler88
05-12-2009, 21:32
Okay I don't have a ton of experience backpacking (I do have about 20 nights) so I need a little advice on how much clothing to bring. I do know that I get very hot while hiking and that I like to hike pretty much all day. So I had only planned on bringing shorts, shirt, and low socks to hike in. I'll have my rain jacket (Marmot Precip) to use as a wind jacket, insulation layer, rain jacket. I was also going to bring under aurmor tops and bottoms thermals to wear when it got cold.

Like I said, I usually hike all day. Was just going to use the other stuff when I got to camp/New Hampshire on a bad weather day. (Or at least thats what I'm thinking now.) Somebody correct me here ... Is this list stupid. Will I freeze? Or will I make it just fine? I know there are lots of things I COULD bring that'd make me a bit more comfortable ... any things that I absolutely NEED to bring in terms of me putting myself in a dangerous situation without these things?

vonfrick
05-12-2009, 21:53
all good sobos hike naked

wakapak
05-12-2009, 21:58

or at least get naked at the summits right?? :D :p

Wrangler88
05-12-2009, 22:00
Hah, thanks for the advice.

I'll be the one that actually uses it. And I'll have park rangers trying to arrest me.

I say trying because no one wants to run down and tackle a naked guy running down the trail.

wakapak
05-12-2009, 22:01
Okay I don't have a ton of experience backpacking (I do have about 20 nights) so I need a little advice on how much clothing to bring. I do know that I get very hot while hiking and that I like to hike pretty much all day. So I had only planned on bringing shorts, shirt, and low socks to hike in. I'll have my rain jacket (Marmot Precip) to use as a wind jacket, insulation layer, rain jacket. I was also going to bring under aurmor tops and bottoms thermals to wear when it got cold.

Like I said, I usually hike all day. Was just going to use the other stuff when I got to camp/New Hampshire on a bad weather day. (Or at least thats what I'm thinking now.) Somebody correct me here ... Is this list stupid. Will I freeze? Or will I make it just fine? I know there are lots of things I COULD bring that'd make me a bit more comfortable ... any things that I absolutely NEED to bring in terms of me putting myself in a dangerous situation without these things?

you may just want to add some gloves and a hat in your list, at least thru New England, as it can still get pretty cold at nite, and if it rains it may be nice to have those.

vonfrick
05-12-2009, 22:03
yeah hat and gloves- hat for sure. i wear one when i'm sleeping. when you leaving?

Blissful
05-12-2009, 22:06
Well a Marmot precip as no insulating factors at all. The main thing is what to do when you stop to rest on a windy summit ( you will have to stop sometime during the course of a day) of which there are plenty of windy and cold summtis in southern ME, not to mention the Whites. And you will have to deal wth man eating bugs too. I think convertible pants are smart way to go. And you'd better bring a hat. I'd also bring an insulated jacket too like a Montbell, but that's me.

Wrangler88
05-12-2009, 22:15
yeah hat and gloves- hat for sure. i wear one when i'm sleeping. when you leaving?

I'm leaving June 30th.

Wrangler88
05-12-2009, 22:21
And when ya'll say hat ... you mean like a beanie?

Just anything to keep my head warm ... ?

vonfrick
05-12-2009, 22:26
i have a thin smartwool cap

warraghiyagey
05-13-2009, 07:45

agreed. . . :sun

or at least get naked at the summits right?? :D :p

Yupperdoodle. . . :sun

i have a thin smartwool cap

(read: 'I'm a big smarty pants. . .' )

bigcranky
05-13-2009, 08:02
A thin fleece hat: I like my Microdome (http://www.rei.com/product/769552) at 0.7 ounces.

If it were me, I would bring some sort of insulation layer for my torso. Either a micro-fleece long sleeved top, or a light down vest. I have a Montbell vest (http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_ul_down_inner_snap_neck_vest.html) that I like a lot. Something to go between your UA top and your rain shell on a cold evening or morning, and add a little more range to your sleeping bag. I don't bring it for summer hikes here in the South, but we got pretty cold in Maine a couple of summers ago, even down low.

JAK
05-13-2009, 08:16
I think a light loose $20 merino sweater works great in summer with hiking short.
Seems to works 80% of the time, and then add layers under and over for the other 20%.

Not sure what is best when its really sunny and hot and you want UV protection. Not really a problem up here, as I hike in shade mostly. You can sweat a little in the sweater and stay cool, especially if there is a breeze blowing through it. I'm thinking maybe my light skin layers would be enough, not to hot when worn alone, and provide enough UV ???

Marta
05-13-2009, 14:38
I note that you are from Texas. Please don't confuse "summer" in northern New England with summer in places that actually have one. In Maine, NH, and VT, you can have daytime temperatures in the 40s, with wind and rain. In the Presidentials in New Hampshire, it can be below freezing in the summer, with unbelievably high winds. You definitely need a hat, gloves, and some sort of lightweight warm layer that you can put on over your T-shirt when it's cold, wet, and windy.

peakbagger
05-13-2009, 16:45
It has snowed on Mt Washington in Whites of NH every month of the year. The winds on occasion exceed 100 MPH. At a minimum consider carrying enough gear to cover all your skin plus an insulating layer that you can wear under your rain jacket (which should have pit zips and be sized generously). I always carry a lightweight Outdoor Research balaclava and lightweight nylon liner gloves. If you get cold you can wear your spare socks as mittens, but its hard to cook and set up camp with socks on your hands. The balaclava works to cover most of the skin on your head plus can be rolled up to use as a beanie. It can get cool at night quickly once the sun goes down when you are up high on a ridge.

garlic08
05-13-2009, 17:08
There isn't anything too exposed until you get to the Bigelows, as I remember. By then, you should have an idea if your clothing is enough for the higher, exposed elevations and you can augment if it needed. If you can keep moving, eat and drink well, and are always able to set up a dry camp, you'll survive with what you have.

I went through New England in late June and early July with one pair of trousers, one shirt, a thermal shirt, an insulated windshirt, a rain jacket, one spare pair of socks, and hat and gloves I never needed but wouldn't hike without. I basically followed what Peakbagger said above and it worked fine.

Always get weather forecasts when you can, and don't foolishly climb into a blizzard in the Whites with typical thru hiking clothing!

Engine
05-13-2009, 17:31
The rule of thumb, if I recall correctly, is 1 ounce of clothing (modern synthetic materials) for every degree below 85* you could expect to see during your hike. Since people are telling you that below freezing weather is almost a sure thing, I would guess 55+ ounces of clothing should do it, with the majority of that weight dedicated to core warmth.

phillycheze
05-14-2009, 10:27
lightweight down jacket. super warm, packs small, and makes a great pillow.