PDA

View Full Version : Titanium cup

HikingIllini
05-12-2009, 21:38
Can single wall Ti cups be used directly on a stove (i.e. pocket rocket or alcohol stove)? I thinking about downsizing from my MSR Titan Kettle to either a MSR Titan Cup or a Snowpeak Ti cup.

Any thoughts?

Tinker
05-12-2009, 21:41
Yes. Single wall ti is unaffected by the heat of a stove as long as there is some liquid inside. It may discolor some, but most small ti cups are actually designed for cooking/heating over a stove.

Skidsteer
05-12-2009, 21:44
Sure thing. Nay problem at all so long as you have liquid in it.

le loupe
05-12-2009, 21:51
I did it this past weekend worked great.

700 ml snowpeak mug w/lid on Minibull's mighty mouse. 3 tsps fuel per meal.

Tinker
05-12-2009, 21:54
Oh, the handles will get very hot, so be careful. Use a bandanna, glove, or other cloth to pick it up after heating.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2009, 22:18
just be sure you dont use a double wall insulated ti cup like I did.

mkmangold
05-12-2009, 22:23
Oh, the handles will get very hot, so be careful. Use a bandanna, glove, or other cloth to pick it up after heating.

Coat the handles with silicone rubber sealant. Do NOT coat the lower part of the handles (the parts that stick out perpendicular to the cup or pot) since flames going up the sides will set the sealant on fire.

le loupe
05-12-2009, 22:27
Coat the handles with silicone rubber sealant. Do NOT coat the lower part of the handles (the parts that stick out perpendicular to the cup or pot) since flames going up the sides will set the sealant on fire.

By the way- that's why i looked for a small diameter alcohol stove (i don't make, I only buy 'em). The mighty mouse is about 1" in diameter and so the flames lapping up the sides of the mug are very minimal and on a pot stand non-existant.

daddytwosticks
05-13-2009, 07:40
Went from a Titan Kettle like you to a Snow Peak 600 for most of my hikes. Works great. I mostly use Esbit tabs but can still use my SP Giga gas stove w/the 600 (with care). :)

NCYankee
05-13-2009, 07:48
I use a 700ml backcountry.com titanium cup on my pocket rocket with great success. It has fold out handles that don't seem to transmit heat so in addition to being under 4oz and working great I haven't burned myself with it yet.

bigcranky
05-13-2009, 07:51
I use a Snow Peak 700 or 900, depending on the trip. I can boil water for a freezer bag meal, then make hot coffee or tea and drink right out of the pot. I removed the handles entirely -- I just pick it up with a bandana and put it in the pot cozy.

In addition to removing the handles, I made a lid from aluminum foil -- the SP 700 lid is quite heavy compared to the mug itself. Here's the complete setup with a fuel table stove, foil lid, foil wind screen, silnylon stuff sack, soap and scrubbie, and lighter:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15256&catid=member&imageuser=266

JAK
05-13-2009, 08:04
Has anyone found a way to make a tight lid for a 700 Ti Mug?

I would like to carry two, and use them for carrying water as well as for meals/drinks. Ideally it would be tight enough to use as a hot water bottle, but non-spill while be carried in the side pouches would be good enough.

jrnj5k
05-13-2009, 08:47
where can i get more information on this mighty mouse. My titanium mug is 2.75" wide and i need a smaller stove than my catstove.

Found it thanks....

Skidsteer
05-13-2009, 09:16
Has anyone found a way to make a tight lid for a 700 Ti Mug?

I would like to carry two, and use them for carrying water as well as for meals/drinks. Ideally it would be tight enough to use as a hot water bottle, but non-spill while be carried in the side pouches would be good enough.

If you're looking for a sealable container that can be used as a "pot", the best I've found is the aluminum Caribou Coffee bottles:

http://www.bandddesigns.com/energy/arch/Caribou%20Coffee%20Iced%20Coffee%20with%20Espresso .jpg

Only drawback is that they are narrow(2 5/8" diameter) and only hold 12 ounces of water.

JAK
05-13-2009, 09:32
They look like they have a better seal than the Jolt cans. Still, what I am really looking for is something wider, and full width at the mouth, so you can clean out and eat from it easily. Those look good though and reheatable if they freeze, which is handly in winter. Ideally about 700ml to 900ml, and about the same with as a nalgene bottle after you add a removable cozy. I am thinking about epoxying a plastic rim and screw on lid that just fits over the outside of an aluminum or titanium pot or beer can. There are some PP jars and lids that might work. PP melts at 160C, and doesn't shrink quite like PET.

cphobes
05-13-2009, 16:15
where can i get more information on this mighty mouse. My titanium mug is 2.75" wide and i need a smaller stove than my catstove.

Found it thanks....

I think he meant Magic Mouse, either way Tinny's site is:

www.minibulldesign.com (http://www.minibulldesign.com)

He has a store, blog and video's and lots of information on stoves and gear.

-Stephen

snowhoe
05-13-2009, 16:19
Dont try to melt snow in it, it will get warped.

le loupe
05-13-2009, 16:34
I think he meant Magic Mouse, either way Tinny's site is:

www.minibulldesign.com (http://www.minibulldesign.com)

He has a store, blog and video's and lots of information on stoves and gear.

-Stephen

Yeah, magic mouse. But, it sure is mighty.

jrnj5k
05-13-2009, 16:34
yah im just gonna make a stove out of a redbull can. then i can at least get a buzz

Engine
05-13-2009, 17:44
Can't do the Redbull, the taste just grosses me out. Java Monster on the other hand, HHHMMMMMMM!!!

laherb
05-13-2009, 19:58
backcountry 700ml. works good on my snow peak stove and my homemade cat stove.

jrnj5k
05-13-2009, 20:37
Actually I made the a mini stove out of a dole pinapple juice can.