PDA

View Full Version : The Roller Coaster

TerryC
05-13-2009, 01:07
My daugher and I are starting at Front Royal on 100-mile northbound section hike. I'm concerned about hitting the "Roller Coaster" so soon after starting, before I have my trail legs. I'm in ok shape (at least for a female of a certain age) but certainly not great; have done Conn-Mass sections in past years. What do you think? Just how tough is it?

Pokey2006
05-13-2009, 01:27
I've done it twice now...didn't think it was that bad at all, either time. If you're worried, try to plan your days so you're doing it early on, rather than late in the day when you're tired. Or break it up over the course of two days.

Seriously, though, it's more annoying than difficult. You'll be fine.

fancyfeet
05-13-2009, 01:37
I didn't find it very difficult, and I'm not a fit hiker. Just take it slow and enjoy it.

Lone Wolf
05-13-2009, 05:50
My daugher and I are starting at Front Royal on 100-mile northbound section hike. I'm concerned about hitting the "Roller Coaster" so soon after starting, before I have my trail legs. I'm in ok shape (at least for a female of a certain age) but certainly not great; have done Conn-Mass sections in past years. What do you think? Just how tough is it?

not tough at all. very overrated in my book. only maintainers think it's tough

stranger
05-13-2009, 07:44
I agree with the above posts, it's very overrated, and the climbs are relatively short - if they took it out of the guidebooks no one would mention it

Lemni Skate
05-13-2009, 08:16
I disagree with the previous posts. It wore me down pretty good compared to the stuff south of there. I don't think it will beat you, but you'll be glad when you're through with it.

modiyooch
05-13-2009, 08:31
I loved the roller coaster. I drove from NC, started at route 50, and hiked to Bear's Den all in one day with a full pack. You will be fine. Although, I'm probably in the minority saying that I love the roller coaster. It's also a good trip. I enjoyed that section.

modiyooch
05-13-2009, 08:33
the copperhead in the trail bothered my more. I didn't see him. stepped right beside him, but he didn't bother to strike.

jersey joe
05-13-2009, 08:45
Most of the inclines are relatively short(around 500ft. vertical incline) which makes the roller coaster easier in my mind than a long incline of say 3,000+ ft.

McKeever
05-13-2009, 09:03
I hit the roller coaster during my thru-hike in early July when the temps were soaring in the high 90's. The section is not strenuous, but takes it toll for those wanting to fly up the trail at 4+ miles/hr and do a big mileage day, otherwise, nothing to be concerned about. It becomes irritatingly memorable for those puds (pointless up's and downs). I read somewhere that a relo is under consideration.

sly dog
05-13-2009, 09:45
Is there any good spots on the roller coaster like views or cool camping spots?

Alligator
05-13-2009, 09:45
It can be broken up some by stopping at the Bears Den Hostel.

Blissful
05-13-2009, 09:48
Just starting out it can be a little tough. Just take it easy and enjoy it. And don't schedule high miles.
You can also stay at Blackburn Trail center. Do not stay at Dicks Dome - there are nice camping spots a mile north of there at a spring.

Honestly I would do this in the fall in October. Not much to see this time of year.

sly dog
05-13-2009, 10:06
Well I am doing SNP next week and thru there to Harpers Ferry, thats why I asked.

Lone Wolf
05-13-2009, 10:08

no..........

TerryC
05-13-2009, 20:35
Thanks everybody - this makes me feel much better, and some good suggestions too. :)

tenbeer
05-14-2009, 09:45
There is one good view spot between Bears Den and the Blackburn Center, right on the Va and WV border.

sly dog
05-14-2009, 09:50
There is one good view spot between Bears Den and the Blackburn Center, right on the Va and WV border.

Thanks for the info. My brother will be joining me for this part being when he did his thru a bunch of them missed this little section, they all aqua blazed from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry, I think I would have too, I love kayaking. But this is why I cant ask him for any info on the roller coaster.

LTHotSauce
05-14-2009, 11:38
This was the first section I had ever backpacked. I had an army rucksack and about 60 pounds of crap. Still, it was hard but not too bad. Only good view I can remember is posted above.

Cookerhiker
05-14-2009, 12:22
You said you had hiked the AT in CT. IMO, the VA roller coaster is not too different from CT north of Rt. 4 to Rt. 112 which I hiked in the Fall of '03 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=60028). I'm sure you'll do fine.

Railroad King
05-14-2009, 12:46
I kept wondering where it was the whole time I was actually hiking through it. So overrated its nuts.

Sidewinder
05-14-2009, 12:52
it's not a bad hike at all, only took me 3 days to complete the roller coaster

sly dog
05-14-2009, 13:38
You said you had hiked the AT in CT. IMO, the VA roller coaster is not too different from CT north of Rt. 4 to Rt. 112 which I hiked in the Fall of '03 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=60028). I'm sure you'll do fine.
Thats what I was hoping, when I did CT last year I thought it had a bunch of pud's but then again I didn't hike for a couple months before that so my legs were not conditioned and my daily mileage was less than what I wanted it to be. At least this time I will have over 100 miles done before I get to that area so I plan on a zero in Front Royal, havin a couple drinks, hotel stay, and starting the coaster the next day. The only thing that really hurt me in CT was the fact that I forgot my hiking boots at home, didn't realize it till I got there. I went to K-mart and thought I could pick up some cheap boots to get me thru but I payed the price, my feet were killing me half way thru but I stuck it out and at the end, it felt like someone took baseball bats to my feet.Those K-mart cheapies had no padding, it felt like I was walking on plastic, then I looked inside and I was walking on plastic! Also the boots fell apart, the soles came off and all the stitching came undone. I knew they were crap but I thought they would last a week.

Kerosene
05-14-2009, 15:38
I also thought it was over-rated when I went through in October 2001. I started NOBO from Front Royal, camping at Manassas Gap (10.7), Rod Hollow (14.3), Bear's Den (9.8), and David Lesser (11.1), with another 9.5 into Harpers Ferry. I didn't find the PUDs nearly as bad as they were portrayed, but the high temperature was only about 55F during those days.

bullseye
05-14-2009, 16:00
I did Ashley Gap to Snickers Gap in one day and didn't think it was all that bad. I was warned about a steep climb where they had put in some steps to " ease the climb". if it weren't for the steps (a few logs:rolleyes:) I wouldn't have known I was doing the "steep" climb. Like others have said, it's just a bunch of short climbs. If your worried about doing the whole thing in one day Kerosene's schedule would break it up pretty good.

Sly dog, there is a nice view behind Bears Den, just south of Snickers gap, and at Crescent Rock just past the VA/W. VA border. Other than that it's all woods.

wystiria
05-14-2009, 16:16

I was just coming in to say this exact same thing! they are identical!

Downhill Trucker
05-18-2009, 04:41

I'm assuming youre stopping at Pen Mar. I did that 100 mile section in the fall. We broke up the roller coaster this way... Dicks Dome Shelter night one. Rod Hollow night two. Bears Den night three. It wasnt bad and I was with a first time hiker. Its more boring than anything. Do yourself a favor and stay at Bears Den, its awesome and a great sunset.

10-K
05-18-2009, 07:40
I just hiked the roller coaster this past week. There are long stretches of muddy trail from all the rain - that bothered me much more than the ups and downs.

If that area did not have that name/reputation already I would not have thought it much different than other sections of the AT that I've hiked. Mountains go up and down - that's what mountains do.

As has already been said, the ups are short so I got to the top before I got winded then was able to catch my breath on the way down.

Also, you gotta stop at the Bear's Den. I think that's my favorite hostel so far. Great shower, washer/dryer, pizza, ice cream, clean bunks, big kitchen and the nicest hosts you'd ever want to meet. Even better, it's just off the trail and you don't have to climb back up a mountain to get back on the trail in the morning. ;)