PDA

View Full Version : Camping on State game lands PA ?

harryfred
05-13-2009, 02:40
Are there places I can pitch a tent between Peters Mountain shelter and Rausch Gap shelter. I know most of this is state game lands that does not allow camping but I heard it was allowed for hikers on the AT. I am leaving Sunday afternoon to hike from Trindle Road to Swatara Gap. I don't want to have to kill time for half a day at Peters Mountain and then hustle to Rausch Gap. There are things on that section I want to take time to look at. Thanks

emerald
05-13-2009, 07:26
Are there places I can pitch a tent between Peters Mountain shelter and Rausch Gap shelter?

Camping is not permitted on Pennsylvania State Game Lands except by AT through hikers within 200 feet of the AT more than 500 feet from surface water and public access areas. Your plans indicate you would be an AT through hiker as defined by Pennsylvania Code.

Be advised Rausch Gap Shelter is outside the 200 foot camping zone just mentioned. The provisions of a special use permit apply at this facility. Camping at RGS is permitted only by AT hikers engaged in 25-mile linear hikes up to the capacity of the shelter. All others must camp within 200 feet of the AT.

I'll post more later today including corroborating links. Until then, read camping in pa. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47305) which involved a similiar question and Rausch Gap Shelter's thread.

You'll find posts from shelterbuilder who manages RGS for BMECC. His computer recently crashed and he won't be able to reply unless he's corrected the issue, but he's fielded the question before.

SATC's responsible for AT maintenance west of Rausch Gap. You'll also see posts by ki0eh linking SATC's website and his answers at that time.

harryfred
05-13-2009, 11:37
Thank you. Yes I did find that thread after I sent this one. The post from you and Shelterbuilder were very helpful and confirmed what I thought I already knew. I was hoping to find a previously cleared spot apx.6 -9 miles past Peters Mountain shelter maybe Clarks valley or even the plateau above the old coal mines. That would allow me a leisurely hike to Rausch Gap for my last night and if I have to hang there that would be cool then I'll hike out for my wife to pick me up at Lickdale.

ki0eh
05-13-2009, 13:51
Although Clarks Valley has the road there is a sort of site that may just clear the specified distances, near the junction of a spring trail and the A.T. Trail-south (compass north) of the PA 325 road crossing.

In addition, Trail-north (compass southeast) of the PA 325 crossing is a bit of National Park Service (former Harrisburg Authority) property, not subject to the SGL limitations. If you have the 2004 edition KTA A.T. color map this area is shown explicitly. There is a rumor of a spring near the topographically upper/east end of this NPS property before re-entering Game Lands heading Trail-north. I do not have coordinates of this spring, but there certainly are seeps in the Trail itself this time of year, that usually dry up before the thru-hikers arrive.

harryfred
05-13-2009, 14:13
Thank you, Thank you:) I'm looking at my map and I think I see where you are talking about. This would be perfect. I will try to grab water at one of the two springs shown I will probably by pass the spring at Peters Mountain.

emerald
05-13-2009, 14:27
Thank you too! Your thread gave me some ideas about how I might make the information you sought more accessible.

Is there any other way we can help you?

harryfred
05-14-2009, 00:13
Not at this time thank you. Maybe in October when I take up at Swatara Gap and continue north. I have been looking forward to this for a year now.:sun

emerald
05-14-2009, 00:33
Be sure to check out the shelter threads in the fall and post your questions. There will be hunting then and conditions may be dry.