PDA

View Full Version : Sorting through the trash...

JokerJersey
05-13-2009, 16:32
I've only been a member of WB for about a week now, but already in that time I've seen about 80 posts by one person who has never even set foot on the AT by self-admission, a number of others by folks who talk tough about thier guns or knives, and several threads dealing with nothing but conjecture based on second-hand (or third, fourth, fifth-hand) information about people's behavior and a town's outlook on hikers.

As someone who is actually looking for decent advice on a far-flung range of topics that aren't all covered by guidebooks or travel brochures, how do those of you who have been here awhile actually sort through all the garbage that flies around here to get to the single kernel of worthwhile information without spending hours each day pouring over it?

Please enlighten me. Is there any way to ignore posters whom you've already singled out as being bad or worthless sources of information? Also, I'm not talking about banter back and forth between friends or jokes in appropriate areas, but more along the lines of someone asking a direct question only to be met with 2 decent replies followed by 6 pages of drivel that doesn't relate in ANY way to the topic at hand. I'm also not talking about anything directly related to me either, just an "in general" question.

If there is really no rhyme or reason to it, just come out and say so. I'm cool with that, if that is truly the case.

jrnj5k
05-13-2009, 16:39
Unfortunatly, theres no way to know whos advice is legitimate and who's is not without having been here for a while and getting a feel for it. Also just because someone hasn't been on the AT doesn't mean they dont know what they are talking about. Its like a coach teaching a sport that they themselves could never play. However, I recommend you use the same skills sets you've used in life to weed through all the bull and apply it here. Question what people say....and listen to there responses.

If all else fails just listen to everything I say....:)

Engine
05-13-2009, 16:43
We hikers as a group come from vastly different backgrounds and often have opposing viewpoints. That is true of any slice of society, but if you look at those who you meet on the trail, it seems especially so with the trail crowd. Since we are human and thus prone to being opinionated there are frequent disagreements over the subjects that come up. I tend to be more vocal in my thoughts than some and as such I have angered a few already during my relatively short time here at WB. However, as adults who can agree to disagree, we stand to learn much from each other if an open mind is maintained.

Don't be put off by what seems to be a contentious group. Most people here would be awsome to spend time with I'm sure, we just seem a little rough some times and often it's just playful ribbing among electronic friends. Enjoy the site for it's valuable information and in time you'll learn to seperate the wheat from the chaff. ;)

Lugnut
05-13-2009, 16:44
There is an "ignore" feature for those you find to be idiots and you could also try the straight forward forum where not as much BS is tolerated.

JokerJersey
05-13-2009, 16:44
Also just because someone hasn't been on the AT doesn't mean they dont know what they are talking about. Its like a coach teaching a sport that they themselves could never play.

Well, I get this part of it. If it's a hiking related question, then yes, anyone with hiking experience can chime in on it. But when it's a question directly related to the AT, one of the towns around the AT, outfitters on the AT, etc. and someone who has never set foot on the AT answers it...how can you (not you personally, but the all-encompassing you) apply that same logic?

To me, that's like asking someone about how to properly care for a beagle only to have someone say, "Well, when I'm combing my cat...".

JokerJersey
05-13-2009, 16:46
There is an "ignore" feature for those you find to be idiots and you could also try the straight forward forum where not as much BS is tolerated.

Ah thanks...where can I find this ignore feature at?

Two Tents
05-13-2009, 16:48
I think when you ask a question you are going to get good answers,some smart remarks and some comments that have nothing to do with anything. You just never know. Use your head and sort through it.There are enough people here who care and will try and answer your question.---Two Tents.

modiyooch
05-13-2009, 16:52
One thing that is happening is people in the know are hiking and unable to give good responses, and the rest of us (knowledgeable or not) are not hiking and getting cabin fever; therefore, getting rowdy.

not a good time for the forum. IMO

I will say that it is a valuable tool for hiking and serves me well.
If you ask a particular question, it's usually answered.

Lugnut
05-13-2009, 16:58
Ah thanks...where can I find this ignore feature at?

Click on User CP and then on Edit Ignore.

emerald
05-13-2009, 16:59
What you have observed is absolutely true and sorting the wheat from the chaff is often no simple task for someone new to WhiteBlaze or a topic, yet it's those individuals we are here to serve.

You might PM someone whose posts you've come find are consistently reliable and ask their opinion or request a referral to someone who is knowledgeable about a particular topic.

It helps to find a few friends with whom you have more in common than simply the AT. Read the user profiles of members who appear to have similiar interests.

An excellent thread idea. Some are apt to not like what you've observed called to their attention, but good luck anyway. I expect you will get a few good answers like with most threads. It might be easier for you to determine the good responses to this thread than with some of the others.

modiyooch
05-13-2009, 17:02
Personally, I think there should be an off topic forum, for those threads and comments that you are weeding through. It does get frustrating. If there is an off topic forum, then we can just avoid those threads, or cater to them as we feel inclined.
You will also find an old timer that will bite your head off if you repeat a question, but just ignore it. It's the fastest way to get an answer.

jrnj5k
05-13-2009, 17:05
Well, I get this part of it. If it's a hiking related question, then yes, anyone with hiking experience can chime in on it. But when it's a question directly related to the AT, one of the towns around the AT, outfitters on the AT, etc. and someone who has never set foot on the AT answers it...how can you (not you personally, but the all-encompassing you) apply that same logic?

To me, that's like asking someone about how to properly care for a beagle only to have someone say, "Well, when I'm combing my cat...".

Sometimes they just know and others they dont. You'll have to judge that one yourself. Remember the movie Good Will Hunting....he got all of his knowledge from books...

max patch
05-13-2009, 17:06
If you want good answers by an experienced hike then put everybody on ignore except Jack Tarlin.

Engine
05-13-2009, 17:07
Personally, I think there should be an off topic forum, for those threads and comments that you are weeding through. It does get frustrating. If there is an off topic forum, then we can just avoid those threads, or cater to them as we feel inclined.
You will also find an old timer that will bite your head off if you repeat a question, but just ignore it. It's the fastest way to get an answer.

I tend to find that most threads degrade progressively with time and as such the really good information tends to be found among the earlier responses. After the question of the OP has been answered a few times it seems like a green light for thread drift to start and once started it rapidly gains momentum.

JokerJersey
05-13-2009, 17:09
I've already started to get an idea of a couple of those whose advice should either be directly avoided or taken with a LARGE grain of salt. Then, it seems like there is at least one with experience enough to teach a platoon, but the general gruffness of said individual is enough to make you take at least one step back and then rethink even asking. :D

I'll keep the Straight Forward forum in mind Emerald, thanks! Also good idea on looking at profiles. One of the main problems I have with that is I'm working off a dial-up connection for 75% of the day during the week and on the weekends, I'm not around a computer at all since I'm out doing what we're all talking about! Looking up profiles would just cut down my time looking for info, but I guess it wouldn't be any worse than spending that same time sorting through all the silliness. :D

Thanks for the tip on the ignore feature Lug! Looks like I'll be using that a bit in the future.

Linesman
05-13-2009, 17:15
Whats with these threads complaining about the quality of Whiteblaze? It is what it is, which is a forum, meaning that anyone can come and say what he or she things. No one expects everything said here to be golden; you clearly have figured out for yourself how much you trust some posters more than others.

emerald
05-13-2009, 17:19
I've already started to get an idea of a couple of those whose advice should either be directly avoided or taken with a LARGE grain of salt. Then, it seems like there is at least one with experience enough to teach a platoon, but the general gruffness of said individual is enough to make you take at least one step back and then rethink even asking.:D

You mean you only found one person who fits your description? Your newness is showing!:D

I can be pretty be direct and fire from the hip myself, but don't let anything I say bother you unless it causes you to pause, think and ask better questions or write better posts.:)

Lugnut
05-13-2009, 17:24
If you want good answers by an experienced hike then put everybody on ignore except Jack Tarlin.

Even Jack would not agree with this statement. :eek:

Summit
05-13-2009, 17:29
Some people come to WB for information and knowledge sharing. Some like to just hang out and amuze themselves, joke, and rarely be serious about anything.

The 'General' forum is probably the place where you'll find the most time wasting threads, but don't ignore it completely because there is the occasional informative one there too.

Straight Forward, Trail Info, and 'Gear' forums are pretty good places for advice, albeit a place of dissension at times as well.

With your 'ignore' filter in hand, you can reduce the distractions further if that is your desire.

modiyooch
05-13-2009, 17:30
I tend to find that most threads degrade progressively with time and as such the really good information tends to be found among the earlier responses. After the question of the OP has been answered a few times it seems like a green light for thread drift to start and once started it rapidly gains momentum.yep, you are right. and if we read 375 posts about damascus than it was for sheer entertainment or our own stupidity (me included) I missed a good show last night just waiting for that one thread to be closed. oh, how I long to be hiking.

Marta
05-13-2009, 17:32
Welcome to Whiteblaze, JJ!

You know what they say about advice--that it's worth what you paid for it. The internet is exceptionally good at masking the identity of the advice-giver. The person who writes forcefully and seemingly knowledgeably about a pre-hike exercise routine might well weigh 500 pounds and never stir from his/her computer screen.

One tip about using Whiteblaze is to try out the Search feature up top. Most questions have been asked many times before. In fact, it's good to start by reading some of the Articles, to get an overview of what hikers think about everything from mail drops and food planning to gearing up and hiking inexpensively.

The whole hiking spectrum shows up on Whiteblaze, from people with thousands of miles on their feet to people who just got the idea of thru-hiking a few minutes ago. I don't think anyone reads it all anymore--there's just too much of it. But a lot of us find things to enjoy.

Cheers!

modiyooch
05-13-2009, 17:33
Whats with these threads complaining about the quality of Whiteblaze? It is what it is, which is a forum, meaning that anyone can come and say what he or she things. No one expects everything said here to be golden; you clearly have figured out for yourself how much you trust some posters more than others.It's more of a great resource for me as opposed to a chat room.

Engine
05-13-2009, 17:34
yep, you are right. and if we read 375 posts about damascus than it was for sheer entertainment or our own stupidity (me included) I missed a good show last night just waiting for that one thread to be closed. oh, how I long to be hiking.

No kidding there. I just got back from a short trip and the woods are calling loudly already. Oh crud, I'm drifting off topic already...sorry! :)

Egads
05-13-2009, 17:51
Welcome to Whiteblaze.

As already mentioned, the best advice comes from the straight forward threads and / or from a handful of people.

I'd start a list for you, but I'm sure it would cause an eruption because someone would disagree.

Screw it...Add your own name to the list if I forget you
Sgt Rock, Mags, Marta, LW, Blissful, Sly, Skids, Smoky Mtn Steve, Ed Bell, Kerosene, TOF, HOI, Just Jeff, Tipi (except for UL), Bearpaw, Phreak, PeterPan, Rockhound, Ron Haven, Sarbar...

snowhoe
05-13-2009, 18:06

What ever!

Kanati
05-13-2009, 18:38
Or, you could just save your question, put on your hiking dud's, go hiking and figure it out for your self. Then you'd know what works best you.

I just visit this site for entertainment because some of this stuff is really funny.

Mags
05-13-2009, 19:01
Or, you could just save your question, put on your hiking dud's, go hiking and figure it out for your self. Then you'd know what works best you.

That works, but in all seriousness, I made MANY mistakes and learned the hard way when I first started backpacking. (Rambo-sized survival knife, canned goods, etc.). When I started reading more about it (what's this..camp stoves???? I don't need, or even should have, the cotton safari cargo pants ?!?!?!) via the excellent Trailside guide to backpacking, it really came together for me.

Read for the basics... Experience is what gives you the fine tuning IMO.

If I did not read about backpacking (suburban Rhode Island did not have many backpacking mentors ;) ), I'd probably still be using canned goods and carrying a Rambo-sized survival knife.

OTOH, once I learned the basics and APPLIED them, well, it all really came together.

Also, if it wasn't for online resources, I'd probably still be using heavy and not very effective "real" backpacking gear as told by magazines and outdoor stores.

Experience is great...but my backpacking "career" would not be where it was today if not for all the wonderful ideas that I learned (and still continue to learn) from forums like WB and others.

Yeah..we can be a contentious lot (and god knows I can have that Northeast charm at times. ;) )...but I'd be lying if I said I did not gain much from the online hiking community in my 13 yrs since I've been an active LD hiker. Information, techniques, tips, hookups and (most importantly) friendships.

Think of this forum as a late night campfire. Sometime a lot of good natured BS. Sometimes a lot of just plain BS! Sometimes so heated discussion. Sometimes some philosophical discussion. Sometimes some shared info.

Finally, don't forget to check the ARTICLES section. Lots of good info, there. (You can find it on the main page)

Kanati
05-13-2009, 19:08
[quote=Mags;838234]
Read for the basics... Experience is what gives you the fine tuning IMO.

Best advice you could have given him.

Think of this forum as a late night campfire. Sometime a lot of good natured BS. Sometimes a lot of just plain BS! Sometimes so heated discussion. Sometimes some philosophical discussion. Sometimes some shared info.

Pretty much sums up WB

snowhoe
05-13-2009, 19:13
Mags I think your name needs to change to yoda. Your are like the jedi hikeing master. GREAT POST!!

Mags
05-13-2009, 19:24
Mags I think your name needs to change to yoda. Your are like the jedi hikeing master. GREAT POST!!

While I am on the short side and have an olive complexion, I am not THAT short nor is my skin truly green. :p

Blissful
05-13-2009, 19:37

(Jack hasn't posted in a while. Is he out hiking again I presume?)

Anyway, him and Warren Doyle. :)

(That should warm things up....)

...oops, just saw he did post today!

Blissful
05-13-2009, 19:38

That's honestly how I learned in the end.... I read a lot before my hike, but I had to do it and learn it myself.

JokerJersey
05-13-2009, 20:22
Let me backpedal a bit here and say this first, which is what I should have done from the start. I'm very appreciative of the advice I can find and I thank all of you for even taking the time to answer the questions on the board. And you are right, the advice is free. I do apologize if I came off as ungrateful, because that was the farthest from what I was trying to do. So, if I offended, I apologize.

Mags, you pretty much summed up why I am here. The only real "backpacking" I've done was in the military and that gear doesn't even begin to compare to the stuff I've already looked at and purchased. A lot of the stuff we used as a communications battalion was old, beat up, and pretty much on it's last legs. We actually still had some radio sets around that had seen service during the Korean War. The packs were heavy, the gear lists were mandatory, and the logistics were already planned. We only had to worry about filling our canteens and strapping on our boots. Now I realize I have to worry about everything, from food, to water, to planning, to maps, etc. etc. It's a big change. But I'm also not one of the people who plans on picking up a pack on a whim and trying to hike the whole trail at once. I'd like to be more prepared then that to increase my chances of actually climbing Katahdin, instead of being one of the ones who gets off the Trail by being unprepared.

When I first put on one of the newer internal frame packs, I was amazed that I had access to this kind of stuff as a civilian. Then I looked around the store and thought to myself...."What the hell do I do now?" Sure, I knew the basics of what I needed, but the sheer array of gear that confronted me was a bit daunting. First thing I thought when I saw someone buying a ultralight camp stove was, "Why do you need a stove? Just make a fire." Then when I found out some places don't allow that...see where I'm coming from?

The things that are really striking to me are the little tidbits that occasionally come out during threads. One that I was reading was talking about bread of all things and someone said, "If you get a round container of Quaker Oats, you can put the bread inside of it after you finish the oats to keep it from getting squashed." I NEVER would have thought of that on my own.

I'm just trying to really refine my technique. Half of the information I know about backpacking is a decade old, out of date, and doesn't apply to civilian packing near as much as it's military counterpart so it needs to be updated and applied to civilian equipment. The other half is a mix I've picked up from salespeople, random people I've talked to, and things I've found on this board. As for figuring it out for myself, that's kinda why I've been out walking trails as often as I can. That and the fact that I've found I absolutely love it. :D

So thanks again, I'll try to be a bit more open to all the advice given.

Ramkitten
05-13-2009, 20:30
I roam around here a lot, just reading, partly because I miss the A.T., but if a question is very specifically about the A.T., I tend not to answer because I thru-hiked 9 years ago. A lot can change, especially when it comes to hostels, shelters, and trail towns. The general how-to stuff, though, is pretty long-lasting and often applies regardless of the trail we're talking about. I've picked up a lot of good info here.

Mags
05-13-2009, 20:36
As I said, there is a LOT of material on this website. Sometimes you just want something that is very much the KISS principle.

For the basics, I suggest this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Trailside-Guide-Hiking-Backpacking-New/dp/0393313344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242261054&sr=8-1

A concise, easy to read overview for traditional backpacking.

If you want to lighten up a bit, an excellent "meat and potatoes" guide to lightweight backpacking is listed below. It does not go over specific gear (that comes later), but gives an excellent baseline for starting on lightweight backpacking.

It is not ultralight, but gives a good, common sense approach so you can enjoy hiking with a lighter load. Simple stuff that adds up (Gatorade bottles vs. Nalgene for example) There are other books out there, but they are more philosophical (Jardine) or gear wonkish (Backpacking Light crew).

http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242260823&sr=8-3

None of these books are very gear specific..so the overall lessons still apply no matter what year it is. :)

Finally, my own modest contributions to backpacking info:

BASIC BACKPACKING PRIMER
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Backpacking-A-Beginners-Primer.html

LIGHTWEIGHT BACKPACKING 101
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/lwbp101.html

HIKE MY HIKE, DAMN IT!
(This one is more humorous. ;) http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/hike-my-hike-damn-it.html)

Good luck! Something that started as a hobby has really defined me as a person. (for better or worse!)

Erin
05-13-2009, 21:51
Welcome!
Take what is useful. I have never thru-just done a section. I wish I had found this site before my section as there is a ton of useful info and alot of helpful hikers on any topic and other trails than just the AT. Heck, I wish there had been a site like this when I first started hiking. Maybe I would not have carried a can of beans! Most of the folks on this site offer useful and helpful advice. There are some that have obviously hiked the AT for years and years and share their experience, the history and tips. Pretty cool. If you don't like some of the posts, just ignore them and move on. Share the good stuff and ignore the negative stuff.

MintakaCat
05-13-2009, 22:10
We actually still had some radio sets around that had seen service during the Korean War.

Sounds like you had to carry an old AN/PRC-10 or the later AN/PRC-25. That's some heavy radios there.

modiyooch
05-13-2009, 22:24
I've only been a member of WB for about a week now, but already in that time I've seen about 80 posts by one person who has never even set foot on the AT by self-admission, a number of others by folks who talk tough about thier guns or knives, and several threads dealing with nothing but conjecture based on second-hand (or third, fourth, fifth-hand) information about people's behavior and a town's outlook on hikers.

As someone who is actually looking for decent advice on a far-flung range of topics that aren't all covered by guidebooks or travel brochures, how do those of you who have been here awhile actually sort through all the garbage that flies around here to get to the single kernel of worthwhile information without spending hours each day pouring over it?

Please enlighten me. Is there any way to ignore posters whom you've already singled out as being bad or worthless sources of information? Also, I'm not talking about banter back and forth between friends or jokes in appropriate areas, but more along the lines of someone asking a direct question only to be met with 2 decent replies followed by 6 pages of drivel that doesn't relate in ANY way to the topic at hand. I'm also not talking about anything directly related to me either, just an "in general" question.

If there is really no rhyme or reason to it, just come out and say so. I'm cool with that, if that is truly the case.
check out the thread by attroll "good threads to read" I bumped it to the top of todays posts. I really enjoyed the tips and technique thread. very insightful
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=Trolls%20info)

modiyooch
05-13-2009, 22:26
atrolls reference threads: http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=Trolls%20info

SunnyWalker
05-13-2009, 23:05
JokerJersy: I found that reaidng all the articles was a great way to get a lot of answers to questions and all. I have also done with Emerald suggested, and pm those who offer good posts.

emerald
05-13-2009, 23:34
With your 'ignore' filter in hand, you can reduce the distractions further if that is your desire.

I played with that feature, but don't use it because I figure there's something to be gained by learning to not let certain people bother me. I've surprised myself by the level of immunity I've developed over time.

A filter I employ is called a contacts list. Nearly all of what's worth saying to others can be posted where everyone can see it if one's words are chosen carefully. Then again, there are things better said privately or not at all.

My contacts list is always changing as I add and delete contacts. Sometimes, I turn it off altogether or add someone temporarily. There are few PMs I get which I'd rather not have received and every one of those was because I permitted it.

Anyone who really desires to contact me and isn't on my list can. It's not difficult to figure out how, but it requires more effort than those who really don't need to contact me desire to expend.

zoidfu
05-13-2009, 23:59
Jak's posts are hardly trash

kayak karl
05-14-2009, 00:02
the guy who told me NOT to leave Jan 1:-? i had the time of my life:banana. and contrary to Jack there is still green in the winter. he would know that if he hiked it.

original poster.... go hike for 2 weeks. then reread all your post. the idiots stand out like a sore thumb. if it wasn't for my shake-down hikes and i few members i became friends with the advice i was given could of put me in serious danger.

Engine
05-14-2009, 07:35
Jak's posts are hardly trash

I agree wholeheartedly. Jak hasn't hiked the AT...big deal, he has tremendous experience to draw from in some rugged areas. Hiking is hiking is hiking and while details about trail towns might not apply, information about methods and other areas are certainly pertinent.

zoidfu
05-14-2009, 07:47
I agree wholeheartedly. Jak hasn't hiked the AT...big deal, he has tremendous experience to draw from in some rugged areas. Hiking is hiking is hiking and while details about trail towns might not apply, information about methods and other areas are certainly pertinent.

He also has a lot of life experience that's relevant, with his sailing travels and such... He's usually the voice of reason on here when everyone's fighting and he's funny too.

I also wouldn't know **** about wool sweaters and currants if it weren't for him:banana

Gray Blazer
05-14-2009, 07:58
Why so serious?

Seriously, there are a lot of experts here about almost anything you want to post or know about. And then there are the wannabee experts and then there are the real morons like me.

I love White Blaze cuz I am an Appalachian trail Enthusiast (not an expert). I will try to answer questions if I know something about the subject or I will stay out of it (sometimes I can't help myself).

My fave part of WB is the photo gallery. I can sit here in flat FL and dream of the AT and the mountains. Peace out.

zoidfu
05-14-2009, 07:59
One thing that is happening is people in the know are hiking and unable to give good responses, and the rest of us (knowledgeable or not) are not hiking and getting cabin fever; therefore, getting rowdy.

Quoted for truth:D

zoidfu
05-14-2009, 08:08
I love everything about Whiteblaze

I love the personalities, the thread drift, the jokes, the pissing matches, the pictures, the attempts at slipping in political statements... everything. Ok, I'm not exactly thrilled with the mods sometimes but it's a job I couldn't handle seeing as I'm biased 24/7. I tip my hat to them for putting up with me.

I've had my fair share of pissing matches on here but there isn't a single person on here that I wouldn't buy a beer for or a sprite if alcohol isn't their thing.

Oh, and I also learned more about the AT on here than in any of the books and other websites that I've read.

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 08:08

I agree with this too. I'm not saying just because someone hasn't hiked a specific trail that thier advice is worthless, far from it. What I am saying is that is someone asks for advice about a specific trail, then someone who hasn't hiked that trail personally wouldn't be the most credible source of information as opposed to someone who has actually hiked said trail.

It's kinda like the thread about Damascus going "bad" towards hikers. There are at least a couple people commenting there who have never even been THROUGH Damascus, let alone stayed there or spent any time there...but there they are, commenting away about it like they have. That's the difference to me.

@ Grey Blazer - Nice job on the quote there. :D

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 08:10
http://king-penguins.com/king-penguin-chick.jpg

zoidfu
05-14-2009, 08:11
Mmmmmmmmmm.... flightless

Gray Blazer
05-14-2009, 08:11
BTW, I have been to Damascus. FWIW

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 08:13
BTW, I have been to Damascus. FWIW

LOL Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was talking about you with the Damascus comment. I was talking about you turning my own sig around on me. The whole "Why so serious?" thing...that's all. Well played, sir, well played.

zoidfu
05-14-2009, 08:15
Wanna know how I got this way?

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 08:17
Wanna know how I got this way?

Does it have anything to do with lead paint chips looking like candy? :D

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 08:20
I used to call them ground sprinkles. . . yummy. . . :)

modiyooch
05-14-2009, 08:21
looks like your crossing over and in your own thread :) welcome to wb.

Gray Blazer
05-14-2009, 08:23
LOL Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was talking about you with the Damascus comment. I was talking about you turning my own sig around on me. The whole "Why so serious?" thing...that's all. Well played, sir, well played.

I knew that. I was just bragging that I have been to Damascus. The Only Wanderer's house is right on the trail. It's cool cuz the sidewalk/trail goes right in front of his house. Another brag is that TOW has one of my AT pics with the homemade frames hanging in his house (as do a number of notable white blazers).

Gray Blazer
05-14-2009, 08:24

They all come around eventually. :p

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 08:25

Blame warraghiyagey. After I snorted water out of my nose laughing at the penguin picture, I realized I was being a bit of a prick. Still got some lesson I need to take to heart I guess. :-?

Gray Blazer
05-14-2009, 08:27
BTW, Warghy, I thought that was a really big booby, but, it's really a penguin.

zoidfu
05-14-2009, 08:28

Heh, I knew I could derail you:D

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 08:29
Either one would have fit honestly. :D

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 08:31
BTW, Warghy, I thought that was a really big booby, but, it's really a penguin.
A very fluffy penguin. . . :)

2011_thruhiker
05-14-2009, 08:32
Well, first, please forgive us-we tend to be a bit cranky when not on the trail-well at least I am :-)...

I take what sounds reasonable, dismiss the sacrastic remarks (unless it's my own of course :-) lol), and most importantly, I hear what others are saying-I keep it in mind-but I am a firm believer in hiking my own hike-and it the suggestion someone made ends up being beneficial on the trail-great-if not, I haven't lost a thing....

As far as the garbage on here goes-well, that IS any forum, you have your winnrs, and well you have the others...Dismiss them-I do and just laugh my butt off cause they don't have a clue to what they are saying.

But Lone Wolf, I could sit and listen to that man for hours and read his posts forever-his experiance and suggestions are invaluable-hopefully someday I'll get to meet the legend-in his own right...

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 08:40
Yes, that Lone Wolf is dreamy. . . . :sun:sun

kanga
05-14-2009, 08:46

there is no rhyme or reason...

some of the most experienced hikers on here spout off at times, but their advice is still invaluable. however, on the other hand, there are some "experienced" hikers on here whose advice could get you killed.

personally, i get on here to read reviews about new products since i figure that most of our gear that we use is expensive enough for me to let someone else be the guinea pig. also, i log on to "hang out" with my friends that are too far away to actually hike with on a regular basis.

i'd say loosen up and go with the flow. other than ignore and posting all your questions in the straight forward forum, there's not much you can do. besides, who really likes stale conversation? it's all of our differences that make the world and wb what it is.

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 08:58
there is no rhyme or reason...

some of the most experienced hikers on here spout off at times, but their advice is still invaluable. however, on the other hand, there are some "experienced" hikers on here whose advice could get you killed.

personally, i get on here to read reviews about new products since i figure that most of our gear that we use is expensive enough for me to let someone else be the guinea pig. also, i log on to "hang out" with my friends that are too far away to actually hike with on a regular basis.

i'd say loosen up and go with the flow. other than ignore and posting all your questions in the straight forward forum, there's not much you can do. besides, who really likes stale conversation? it's all of our differences that make the world and wb what it is.

Yeah, I kinda came around to that way of thinking somewhere around the end of the 3rd page. It just took a fluffy penguin and 2 dozen people politely pointing out that I was being a tool. :D

JAK
05-14-2009, 09:01
Well, one good tool deserves another. ;)

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 09:05
That Kanga is Dreamy. . . . . :):)

Christus Cowboy
05-14-2009, 09:25
.....You might PM someone whose posts you've come find are consistently reliable and ask their opinion or request a referral to someone who is knowledgeable about a particular topic.....

This is what I do.... you may have to invest some time initially to determine the individuals who can provide you clear and concise information an then hit the PM channel.... Another thing to consider is using the search tools can help in filtering down to a specific topic as well....

Another idea that you may want to consider is that if you are noticing that the first few posts are topic related, followed by 18 pages of drivel then reserve your viewing to the first couple of pages of a specific thread.

Discussion threads are very fluid and with the diversity of backgrounds represented on whiteblaze thread drift is pretty common....

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 09:35
Boobs. . .

snowhoe
05-14-2009, 09:41
Well, first, please forgive us-we tend to be a bit cranky when not on the trail-well at least I am :-)...

I take what sounds reasonable, dismiss the sacrastic remarks (unless it's my own of course :-) lol), and most importantly, I hear what others are saying-I keep it in mind-but I am a firm believer in hiking my own hike-and it the suggestion someone made ends up being beneficial on the trail-great-if not, I haven't lost a thing....

As far as the garbage on here goes-well, that IS any forum, you have your winnrs, and well you have the others...Dismiss them-I do and just laugh my butt off cause they don't have a clue to what they are saying.

But Lone Wolf, I could sit and listen to that man for hours and read his posts forever-his experiance and suggestions are invaluable-hopefully someday I'll get to meet the legend-in his own right...

AHHH?! I do remember a thread you started that you took VERY serosly and was ready to fight about it when some one said something that you thought was wrong. I am not sure but I think YOU were very pi$$ed. Dont know. :)

Alligator
05-14-2009, 09:41
You will also find an old timer that will bite your head off if you repeat a question, but just ignore it. It's the fastest way to get an answer.There is an off topic forum, Non-At Discussion. You are not subscribed. Those wishing to subscribe can go to the home page, bottom box in the left hand column, subscribe under Group Memberships.

MOWGLI
05-14-2009, 12:17
There is only so much you are going to learn on an internet discussion board. You learn by doing. Get out there. You'll make a few mistakes... and learn from them. Even the most informed folks here don't know everything. Most people have a rather narrow expertise in my opinion. Whether it's DIY gear, or cooking, or hammock camping, or lightweight backpacking, or whatever. Just understand that there is no such thing as "the best" anything, and that there are multiple ways to accomplish the same goal.

Good luck.

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 12:22
Yeah, what he said. . .

JAK
05-14-2009, 12:36
Yeah, in terms of hiking knowledge/experience/materials/methods, a forum is only for sharing ideas on those matters. Even when someones ideas are based on real tried and test and repeated experience, you always have to test them and try them out for yourself before they become real for you. The ideas are fun in themselves, but the real fun is out there, even if its just a day hike or a walk to work. Now we could have a discussion on how to get out there more often, but that might be somewhat self defeating. ;)

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 12:49
There is only so much you are going to learn on an internet discussion board. You learn by doing. Get out there. You'll make a few mistakes... and learn from them. Even the most informed folks here don't know everything. Most people have a rather narrow expertise in my opinion. Whether it's DIY gear, or cooking, or hammock camping, or lightweight backpacking, or whatever. Just understand that there is no such thing as "the best" anything, and that there are multiple ways to accomplish the same goal.

Good luck.

To me, that's the whole point of forums like this. Sure, a single person might not know "everything" there is to know, but the more users that there are around, the more likely it is that there will be someone who knows what you're looking to find out. I never thought or intended this to be a substitute for actual experience, but just a place to pick up those nice little nuggest of wisdom that people pick up AFTER long years of experience.

And as I've tried to say before, after shifting my attitude slightly and looking at things from that new perspective, the original post I made seems a bit ungracious and whiny. So for that, again, I apologize.

garbanz
05-14-2009, 13:05
I agree 100 % with the observation in your initial thread JJ. I have obtained a weath of trail info, gear reviews and hiking savy from Whiteblaze but there is becoming a voluminous amount of gar-bage to sift thru anymore. An ever increasing amount of genuine threads sooner or later fall prey to regulars who chime in to ring their own bell rather than contribute. Downright shame.

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 13:06
Yupperdoodle. . .

zoidfu
05-14-2009, 13:07
I agree 100 % with the observation in your initial thread JJ. I have obtained a weath of trail info, gear reviews and hiking savy from Whiteblaze but there is becoming a voluminous amount of gar-bage to sift thru anymore. An ever increasing amount of genuine threads sooner or later fall prey to regulars who chime in to ring their own bell rather than contribute. Downright shame.

See ya!!!!

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 14:00
See ya!!!!

Funny thing is, 24 hours later, I don't even agree with myself anymore. :D

emerald
05-14-2009, 14:17
I once thought I might start a thread titled the same as this post, but it would likely be an exercise in futility.

See ya!!!!

Now there's a typical WhiteBlaze response! With an attitude like yours, this website will never improve over time. Inertia is a bitch and the bigger the mass, the harder it is to get it in motion, but then you no doubt think it's perfect as it is.

The point of this thread was to help newbies find what they seek and thus avoid them having to spend a lifetime sifting through a mountain information which is not useful to them.

It would help if some recognize there are many kinds of threads here. The best of all kinds are created by those who understand this concept and they remain more-or-less true to their original purpose. Although some do evolve early on into something worth linking for others to read at a later time, they are more apt to devolve over time as others have noted.

Without everyone expending an effort to keep threads on track and exercise a certain amount of discipline when posting, what began as orderly becomes chaos which no moderation can remedy and only a lock can end.

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:22
Without everyone expending an effort to keep threads on track and exercise a certain amount of discipline when posting, what began as orderly becomes chaos which no moderation can remedy and only a lock can end.
Yupperdoodle!!!!!!!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent069.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent069.gif
WOOOT!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky110.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky110.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky110.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky110.gif
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky111.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky111.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gif

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 14:23
Inconceivable

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:24
Inconceivable
I do not think that means what you thinnk it means. . .

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 14:26
I do not think that means what you thinnk it means. . .
I did not think you would accept my help, since I am only waiting to kill you.

Bearpaw
05-14-2009, 14:28
I did not think you would accept my help, since I am only waiting to kill you.

Well that DOES put a damper on the relationship...

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:29
Throw me the rope. . .

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 14:30
Throw me the rope. . .
You don't by chance have six fingers on your right hand?

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:35
Do you always begin your conversations this way?

emerald
05-14-2009, 14:36
Funny thing is, 24 hours later, I don't even agree with myself anymore.:D

That's because you've become thoroughly corrupted or may even have been corrupted before you started this thread.:-? I'll continue to argue your position just to keep the thread alive a little longer for those who click on its title seeking the advice you sought, but it began to turn into what you complained about initially long ago.

By now, only the patient with plenty of time on their hands or those participating are still reading. So it has become a thread which lives for participants it would seem, rather than those who come along later seeking the advice you sought.

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 14:38
Do you always begin your conversations this way?
I have spent my life looking for the six fingered man. He killed my father.

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 14:38
{yanks things back on topic}

I think my biggest mistake was thinking that Whiteblaze was going to be this mecca of information, habitated by those who spend 99% of the time they are awake thinking about hiking and it's related topics. One of the things that contributed to this was the fact that it linked off the ATC website. Figured if it was backed by the group that "controlled" the AT then I was on the right track.

On one hand, I was right. There is a TON of useful, well thought out, unbiased factual information available here.

On the other hand, once I realized it was more akin to an online gaming community as opposed to a commune of fanatic hikers who ate, slept, lived, and breathed ONLY hiking, it became a bit easier to grasp the concept of all the random chatter flying around.

As things stand now, I'm much more relaxed when it comes to the silliness and frivolity. But to an unintiated stranger, it is strange when you start to add things up then come to my initial conclusion. Once I realized it was mostly just a group of friends and a couple of random strangers who happen to share a common interest, it was no longer so hard to wrap the mind around. Some of you are silly, some of you are serious, some of you are long-winded, while others are curt in the extreme.

Regardless of all that, the information is here, life is good, and the trail is still calling.

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:40
I will look him in the eye and say "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 14:40
That's because you've become thoroughly corrupted or may even have been corrupted before you started this thread.:-? I'll continue to argue your position just to keep the thread alive a little longer for those who click on its title seeking the advice you sought, but it began to turn into what you complained about initially long ago.

By now, only the patient with plenty of time on their hands or those participating are still reading. So it has become a thread which lives for participants it would seem, rather than those who come along later seeking the advice you sought.

See my reply above. It really was just a shift in my way of thinking that brought me around. Changing my outlook on a lot of things seems to be the first step I need to take on the "trail", even before I set foot on it.

Gray Blazer
05-14-2009, 14:42
Most of the hikers I run into on the AT have never heard of WB.

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 14:42
I will look him in the eye and say "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
I only work for him to pay the bills. There is not much money in the revenge business.

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:43
Ditto. . . . that's why I stopped asking people. . . it became an absurd question out there. . .

MOWGLI
05-14-2009, 14:43

Here he is!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO97gdn2oo

"Chiller" :eek:

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 14:44
Ditto. . . . that's why I stopped asking people. . . it became an absurd question out there. . .
Yep, other than at south ruck I have only ran into one WBer.

warraghiyagey
I only work for him to pay the bills. There is not much money in the revenge business.
Kill me quickly. . .

traildust
Whiteblaze is now a social community much like Facebook, MySpace etc.... gone are the days when folks refrained from threads that lead to nowhere. Still, its amazing how many folks come here for the little they get. Try checking into the Facebook AT Communities of which there are several. Over time they all turn into noise. Time will tell how long they all survive. A google search can answer most of your questions or checking out one of the many books on hiking from the library. There's a thought.

Kanati
05-14-2009, 14:45
{yanks things back on topic}

I think my biggest mistake was thinking that Whiteblaze was going to be this mecca of information, habitated by those who spend 99% of the time they are awake thinking about hiking and it's related topics. One of the things that contributed to this was the fact that it linked off the ATC website. Figured if it was backed by the group that "controlled" the AT then I was on the right track.

On one hand, I was right. There is a TON of useful, well thought out, unbiased factual information available here.

On the other hand, once I realized it was more akin to an online gaming community as opposed to a commune of fanatic hikers who ate, slept, lived, and breathed ONLY hiking, it became a bit easier to grasp the concept of all the random chatter flying around.

As things stand now, I'm much more relaxed when it comes to the silliness and frivolity. But to an unintiated stranger, it is strange when you start to add things up then come to my initial conclusion. Once I realized it was mostly just a group of friends and a couple of random strangers who happen to share a common interest, it was no longer so hard to wrap the mind around. Some of you are silly, some of you are serious, some of you are long-winded, while others are curt in the extreme.

Regardless of all that, the information is here, life is good, and the trail is still calling.

But is always entertaining.......

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 14:46

Here he is!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO97gdn2oo

"Chiller" :eek:
That's the guy!!

MOWGLI
05-14-2009, 14:47
Even on the trail, if I had $1 for every time another hiker told me "the toughest part of the trail" was just ahead, I'd have done well. I must have heard that a half dozen times down south.

It's not just on the internet where you get bad info.

sheepdog
Kill me quickly. . .
I would rather break a stained glass window, than kill an expert like you...

but since I can't have you following me.

TD55
Did anybody find a shoelace?

emerald
05-14-2009, 14:48
It really was just a shift in my way of thinking that brought me around.

Are you ready for the bad news?

Sometimes, I envy them. It's addictive and can be a time-waster.

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:49
I'm more of a 'giver' of bad info than a getter. . . .:p

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 14:50
You ever heard of Aristotle? . . . Plato? . . . Socrates? . . . . morons.

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 15:00
Are you ready for the bad news?

Sometimes, I envy them. It is addictive.

Hehe, that's not bad news.

"You're deploying to Iraq on your wedding anniversary." - THAT is bad news. True story btw.

Guess it's all relative.

sheepdog
05-14-2009, 15:00
Really
the battle of wits has begun

emerald
05-14-2009, 15:02
You ever heard of Aristotle? . . . Plato? . . . Socrates? . . . . morons.

No, but there's this dude called warraghiyagey on WhiteBlaze.net. You ever heard of it?

Where did he ever get a name like that?

Damn if I know! I think he's one of Bob and Doug's friends or maybe it was Cheech and Chong. Hell, I don't remember, but you ought to log on sometime.

kanga
05-14-2009, 15:11
Once I realized it was mostly just a group of friends and a couple of random strangers who happen to share a common interest, it was no longer so hard to wrap the mind around. Some of you are silly, some of you are serious, some of you are long-winded, while others are curt in the extreme.

that is a perfect way to put it. don't think i'll ever hear better.

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 15:12
As you wish. . . .

emerald
05-14-2009, 15:24
Me? I'm fixing to find something to eat and get back to work. I'm not selling my books or gear for beer money like ibigler5.

Mags
05-14-2009, 16:23

Egads man..do you know how boring that would be ?!?!?!

I probably spend a good chunk of time outside for someone who isn't currently thru-hiking..and even I would not want to spend all my time talking about hiking.

I had a brief fling with an ultrarunner a few years back. All she wanted to do was talk about long hikes, training, long hikes, training, long hikes, training, etc. Boring..boring..boring.

If it was just talking about gear, gear, gear, logistics, logistics, logistics..well, just have an ARTICLES section and call it WHITE BLAZE ONLINE MAGAZINE. :)

Even on the long thru-hikes, most people don't talk about hiking..

(Not aiming this at you...just a rant in general :) )

warraghiyagey
05-14-2009, 16:26
Yeah, what he said. . .

Mags
05-14-2009, 16:35
A google search can answer most of your questions or checking out one of the many books on hiking from the library. There's a thought.

Google is great..but where does the content come from? :)

Books are cool, too..but, only in a general sense. For specifics, I still like to "talk" to someone directly.

Yeah..there is a lot of chatter. But, that's the internet in general.

Despite the chatter, I'd say an interactive site is (overall) a better source of info than a non-interactive one.

JMO.

Off to do that hiking thing... ;)

Kanati
05-14-2009, 17:11
[quote=Mags;838749]Egads man..do you know how boring that would be ?!?!?!

I had a brief fling with an ultrarunner a few years back. All she wanted to do was talk about long hikes, training, long hikes, training, long hikes, training, etc. Boring..boring..boring.

At least you knew what turned her on. Hope you took adavantage of it. LOL

:banana

Egads
05-14-2009, 17:39
Egads man..

What, did I hear someone calling my name?

Engine
05-14-2009, 18:26
Did anybody find a shoelace?

I found a sock the other day, but try as I might I couldn't find the mate to it. :(

Engine
05-14-2009, 18:28
I spent 8 hours today in meeting and then another 2 at a car dealership and after wishing I were dead, I come home to find this thread alive and well. After reading everything I missed since 6am this morning I've realized you all had nothing productive happen today either. :)

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 18:34
Well, I was working today, so nope...nothing productive here. :D

Engine
05-14-2009, 18:35

What do you do Joker?

JokerJersey
05-14-2009, 18:48
Computer repair, nothing crazy. At least I got a worthwhile skill out of my time in the military.

Most of my job is automated, consisting of mostly software reinstalls which, once started, pretty much run themselves with only minimal interaction. The only thing that I really need to pay attention to is when I'm doing hardware installs. Nothing like shorting out a new laptop systemboard because you had your eyes glued to a website. :eek:

Engine
05-14-2009, 18:54
Computer repair, nothing crazy. At least I got a worthwhile skill out of my time in the military.

Most of my job is automated, consisting of mostly software reinstalls which, once started, pretty much run themselves with only minimal interaction. The only thing that I really need to pay attention to is when I'm doing hardware installs. Nothing like shorting out a new laptop systemboard because you had your eyes glued to a website. :eek:

I pretty well understand it, my son is a network specialist for a Comm squadron at Tindall AFB. He and I have created some fairly cool network apps together...something to do together over the miles I guess. Hardware is kind of beyond me, but he's good with it.

Marta
05-14-2009, 20:27

Okay, man, you are totally at home here now.:eek:

MOWGLI
05-15-2009, 11:09
I found a sock the other day, but try as I might I couldn't find the mate to it. :(

Matching socks are overrated.

JAK
05-15-2009, 12:31
lol
well played ;0

Mags
05-15-2009, 17:26
At least you knew what turned her on. Hope you took adavantage of it. LOL

The e-mails she sent me while I was on the CDT were....interesting.