PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drop Question. I have a selection of freeze dried food in #10 cans.

wcgornto
05-13-2009, 22:27
I begin SOBO in a month and plan to use mail drops and buy locally as well, a bit of each. I plan to parcel out the food from #10 cans into quart zip lock freezer bags. Is there any problem with doing this months in advance, e.g., moisture, spoilage, etc.? I have seen reference to vacuum sealing, but this seems a bit of overkill to me. Thoughts?

SunnyWalker
05-13-2009, 23:02
I think it will last. Although I have no experience doing it myself. I would think that you need to keep water and air from the freeze dried food. If you do that (vacum seal) it ought to last a long time.

reddenbacher
05-13-2009, 23:16
i diveyed up a lot of food 2 months before leaving.light zipplocks were the best.but to protect them i seal a mealed 10 zipps inside a large bag.then discard that at the post office.seal a meal bags were just too heaveyto carry.freeze dryed fruit is a blessing for oatmeal with olive oil.
oh seal a meal olive oil,make sure its not any more than your container can carry .i gave away a lot of olive oil.3 spoons of oil; make a big difffence in the were the wall was in the morning.i could realy tell when i didnt have it.

MileMonster
05-14-2009, 06:44
I've had no problem doing it with dehydrated foods. Be careful with other stuff, though. Once in the past I bought a big package of baby wipes and split them up into ziplocks and into various mail drops. The chemicals/smells in the wipes permeated the whole maildrop, even through ziplocks, and I could actually smell and taste it in my dehydrated food.

bigcranky
05-14-2009, 07:22
I would seal them using a vacuum sealer. The vacuum bags are much better than ziplocs -- as long as the seal stays intact, they keep out all moisture and keep in all odors. I do this for mail drops and at home for frozen food (no freezer burn.)

Blissful
05-14-2009, 10:05
I would seal them using a vacuum sealer. The vacuum bags are much better than ziplocs -- as long as the seal stays intact, they keep out all moisture and keep in all odors. I do this for mail drops and at home for frozen food (no freezer burn.)

I would probably do that too. Unless you can store them in the freezer for long term and someone can take them out and mail them to you when it's time. We did with our home dehydrated stuff.