PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Sublite Silnylon

stranger
05-13-2009, 22:35
Anyone use this tent before? I kinda like the fact that the poles are outside of the tent instead of right in front of the door.

I'm most interested in the setup, how do you find it? Also seam sealing, it looks like it might be a tricky one to seam seal?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Reid
05-13-2009, 23:41
http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

skinewmexico
05-14-2009, 00:52
Seamsealing is easy, and takes about 30 minutes on a sunny day. Just mix it as directed, and paint all the seams.

Franco
05-14-2009, 01:06
I have the Tyvek version, same design but totally different "fabric"
It takes me just over 2 minutes to set it up , as a comparison I can do the Contrail in one. (in ideal conditions, not after a hike...)
Seam sealing is pretty straight forward , I did the outside of it in about 20 min so since I was in the mood and had plenty of glue left I did all of the inside as well.
Setting it up the first couple of times was a bit slow because I never had a tent supported in that way, but there are no "tricks" or techniques to be learned, just follow the instructions from TT.
Strong shelter for the weight.
Franco

jrnj5k
05-14-2009, 07:45
strong shelter for wind rain and even snow because of the high pitch angle. I think its 19ounces and there is enough room in the tent for your gear since it doesn't have a vestibule. Great little shelter.

Quoddy
05-14-2009, 08:09
Check out THIS (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47873) thread for some info. I've been a TarpTent user for several years and think that the Sublite Sil is an excellent one person shelter. Very easy to seam seal, BTW.

Snowleopard
05-14-2009, 09:39
Franco, How does your tyvek sublite do in sustained heavy rain? Is the tyvek noisy in wind?? Is it ordinary tyvek?
9' wide tyvek makes it really easy to make a homemade tarp or tarptent but I worry that it would be really noisy in wind.
--Walter

skinewmexico
05-14-2009, 12:42
I want a tyvek sublite in the worst way. Would be great shade. I just want a strip of cuben sewed along the top to make it more waterproof.

Franco
05-14-2009, 19:00
The Tyvek used by TT is Soft (Clothing) Tyvek,1443R. Have a look at the label on your pillows, if it feels somewhat between fabric and plastic it is likely made of that stuff.
The advantages of this material are breathability, great sun protection, it's lighter than the 1.1oz silnylon (really about 1.4oz after coating) and it does not stretch.
The disadvantages are less waterhead and much less tensile strength. I would estimate from my backyard tests that it is similar to Epic. I have had a few consecutive hours of rain on it with
only a few (three or four) water drops inside (possibly from the seam next to the door panel not properly sealed). That was on sustained but not torrential rain, apart from a few quick heavier bursts.
I would recommend it in desert areas or where humidity is high without prolonged heavy showers or wind.
When I seam sealed the inside (missing one seam...) it was over 30c (86f) outside, yet I was comfortable with the shelter fully sealed, including the bottom vent. Pretty much the same as in the shade.
It did not flap in low wind (my estimate up to 20mph) but because you cannot put it under tension as you can with the sil version I would not want to use it in exposed areas.
On the other hand , as Quoddy has shown on his thread, the sil version I feel is one of the stronger if not the strongest shelter for the weight.
Note that Quoddy has added the mid rear pole segment, although I would be using an extra peg for the front guyline to have that on line with the mid rear.
(only for rough weather or exposed areas...)
Franco

Engine
05-14-2009, 19:22
Check out THIS (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47873) thread for some info. I've been a TarpTent user for several years and think that the Sublite Sil is an excellent one person shelter. Very easy to seam seal, BTW.

I'm curious if you have any experience with the SMD Lunar Solo? I have a TarpTent Double Rainbow and I love it but I'm torn between the Sublite Sil and the Lunar Solo for 1 person use.

FamilyGuy
05-14-2009, 20:19
I am big on having a vestibule so would naturally lean toward the Contrail or LS. If I was adament on side entry I would go with the Rainbow for the vestibule. Putting muddy, wet, stinky boots inside my tent gives me pause.

skinewmexico
05-14-2009, 22:09
I went with the Lunar Solo, just for the vestibule. I can't remember why I didn't go with the Rainbow, I sure like my Double Rainbow.

Quoddy
05-15-2009, 08:49
I'm curious if you have any experience with the SMD Lunar Solo? I have a TarpTent Double Rainbow and I love it but I'm torn between the Sublite Sil and the Lunar Solo for 1 person use.
I've not used the LS, but know that it has many happy users. Most of my experience is with the Contrail, which I really like... a lot. I also have the Sublite Sil, which is definitely the stronger option when that comes into play. It has a lot going for it and when using a TT it may get more use than the Contrail. I briefly tried the Rainbow, but didn't think, with it's extra weight, that it offered any real advantage over the Contrail since I use sticks. Much of the time I now use a solo tarp, sometimes with a bivy. As always, I try to comment only on what I've actually used, and how it has worked for me.

Engine
05-15-2009, 08:54
I am big on having a vestibule so would naturally lean toward the Contrail or LS. If I was adament on side entry I would go with the Rainbow for the vestibule. Putting muddy, wet, stinky boots inside my tent gives me pause.

I hadn't even given any thought to the lack of a vestibule, but that would kind of be a deal breaker for me as well.

I went with the Lunar Solo, just for the vestibule. I can't remember why I didn't go with the Rainbow, I sure like my Double Rainbow.

I love our Double Rainbow as well, but the weight savings for dropping to a solo version would not be nearly as great as the LS and that's why I'm leaning in the direction of the SMD product for this use.

I've not used the LS, but know that it has many happy users. Most of my experience is with the Contrail, which I really like... a lot. The Sublite Sil is definitely the stronger option when that comes into play. I briefly tried the Rainbow, but didn't think, with it's extra weight, that it offered any real advantage over the Contrail since I use sticks. Much of the time I now use a solo tarp, sometimes with a bivy. As always, I try to comment only on what I've actually used, and how it has worked for me.

Ditto on the use of hiking poles and why carry the weight if I don't need it. Thanks for the input.

socalhiker
05-22-2009, 16:10
I have the Tyvek version and it came sealed. For those ordering this version of the Sublite, Roo Clear goes on fast and easy.

As far as set-up goes, this is easiest tent I have ever used to set-up with and it is, as Franco pointed out, fast also. I ordered the poles along with the tent (highly recommended) since I don't use sticks and they being made to the specified length for tent, make the set-up even easier since they do not have to be adjusted for length.

This is, without even close consideration of other tents I have used, the most satisfying shelter for a lengthy hike. I am only 5'10" and the tent is spacious providing abundant room at both the head and foot portion of the interior. The apex slopes gradually to the foot so that there is considerable head room.

As with Quoddy and Franco, I too own a Contrail, and while it is a good shelter for the weight, it pales in comparison to the Sublite as for as a satisfying lightweight shelter

The side entry of this single wall tent provides excellent ease in ingress and egress. I use to use a bottle for late night nature calls but with the Sublite is easier to just roll out of the tent.

The side entry allows easy retrieval of items tossed up to the head or the foot of the tent and for efficient and easy loading up of your pack at the start of the day.