PDA

View Full Version : Big Bald campsite

dabjrnl
05-14-2009, 12:21
The guide book mentions 2 or 3 springs on the south side of Big Bald between Street Gap and the summit including one at Low Gap. Is there good camping at any of those springs? Would the campsite at Low Gap accommodate 3 tents? I'd like to try to coax the slower of my crew up and over the summit to the shelter or Whispering Gap but I'm setting a contingency plan just in case. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.:)

Gray Blazer
05-14-2009, 13:38
If the weather is nice, I like to camp on top of Big Bald. Lots of room. Expect some locals to be hanging out in the morning when you unzip your tent. Could be ackward if you have to micturate first thing. The south side has a lot of woods (I confess, I haven't been to the springs near the summit).

The northside has good camping at Big Stamp, a good place to camp if the summit is too windy. The Shelter is not too far from the summit and mostly downhill.

If you are there on a Saturday, look out for the hermit of Little Bald. He usually hikes up there from the Blue blaze trail north of the shelter. If you see him, tell him Gray Blazer said hello.

Gray Blazer
05-14-2009, 13:40
If you are starting from Sam's Gap early in the day, you should be able to make it to the top. It is all uphill from Sam's and about 8 miles. Not the hardest climb on the AT.

dabjrnl
05-14-2009, 14:24
We'll most likely be starting the day from Flint Gap. We'll be past Little Bald (with any luck) by Saturday but I'll keep an eye out for the hermit.

Ramble~On
05-14-2009, 21:25
Excellent campsites on top and one near rocks just N. of Big Stamp if the weather gets nasty and you don't want to shelter. Many deer and even more coyotes.
I had the shelter to myself this year:sun! I usually tent and this is a great area for tenting but how can you pass up an empty shelter?

Jayboflavin04
05-17-2009, 10:11
Yeh that is a cool campsite near the rocks. There is a fire place built into the rocks. I wish we had stayed there instead of the shelter. It was a clear night and I would have loved to see the stars.

Tennessee Viking
05-17-2009, 18:51
I remember seeing an old chimney or BBQ behind on of those rocks.

dabjrnl
05-18-2009, 14:14
Thanks guys.