PDA

View Full Version : RatSack or UrSack?

Phoenix7
05-14-2009, 15:44
Will a RatSack keep out black bear? Which is better?

TY

sylvia_claire
05-14-2009, 16:07
from their site

The RatSack is not bear proof, but neither is your vehicle. The Ratsack Cache Bag should be properly hung out of reach of bears whenever possible. Use of a dry bag or other sealed container inside of the RatSack helps to control food odors. The more difficult time a bear has in getting to a container, the more likely he'll move on for easier pickings at the next campsite down the trail.

Phoenix7
05-15-2009, 00:10
Thanks very much. With the RatSack I like the idea of having a critter-resistant bag as well when not hanging high for bears.

Foyt20
05-15-2009, 19:56
That statement just said when properly hung though. I think they mean in a tree.

gregor
05-15-2009, 22:14
I think my new white ursack is pretty rodent proof. it's heavy at 7 ounces, but the ursack paired up with an OP odor proof bag gives me a nice peace of mind. I really like my food.

daddytwosticks
05-16-2009, 13:09
I use a Ratsack for protection from critters. I would have bought an Ursack for this purpose (lighter) but they were unavailable at the time. My Ratsack works great...watch out for the flying squirrels...those are the buggers who will get your unprotected food even when properly hung from bear cables. Mine weights about 9 ounces. I forget what size it is. Do a search on this...I recall many had problems with the manufacturer shipping the sacks when promised. I had no problems with my purchase. :)