PDA

View Full Version : An idea on how to "yogi" more effectively...

minnesotasmith
06-18-2004, 21:36
This is from a circa-2001 book today about the writer's AT thru-hike, called "Walking Home" by Kelly Winters. Note that she recounts having been constantly obsessed by food while doing her thru-; she was not really heavy before hitting Springer, and lost considerable weight over the course of the Trail, even with frequent complete gluttony. She saw T-shirts for sale in a near-AT outfitter's shop in North Carolina (I think) that carried this inscription:

"Please feed the hungry hiker"

I personally would consider making that "Please feed the hungry thru-hiker", were I to ever do that. Comments, please on 1) the ethics and tastefulness, and 2) likely effectiveness from such a shirt.

steve hiker
06-19-2004, 00:19
"Please feed Jumble Jowls:jump "

smokymtnsteve
06-19-2004, 00:22
I have one of those "Please feed the hiker" t-shirts...from 2000 season

minnesotasmith
06-20-2004, 20:58
How much do you think your T-shirt has gotten you extra food from weekenders/campers/etc.?

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2004, 22:47
NO...not at all...being a veggie-tarin and health food nut I don't eat or drink most of that stuff anyway.

minnesotasmith
06-21-2004, 11:35
:confused: Are you saying that vegetarians don't go camping or hiking on the weekends? Or, are you saying that they don't share their food as generously as do omnivores?

smokymtnsteve
06-21-2004, 11:39
I'm saying that most trail magic is not veggie-tarin,,,people have soft drinks and such,,,and I don't as a habit want any of that.

minnesotasmith
06-21-2004, 13:50
If I ever go do any "Trail Angel" stuff, I should bring green tea, fruit juice, whole-grained/vegetarian dishes, etc., as those are in the shortest supply, then.

smokymtnsteve
06-21-2004, 15:32
orange juice and bananas is what i take...

but most hikers will eat anything.

hikerltwt
06-21-2004, 15:51
Almost any hiker will take fresh fruit or fruit juices. Vegan or carnivore!

minnesotasmith
06-21-2004, 17:31
Methinks you meant "Vegan or omnivore". Not too many people on the AT or anywhere else outside the rural Arctic that eat almost exclusively meat, I would think.

Pencil Pusher
06-22-2004, 02:31
"Please feed the hungry hiker"

Comments, please on 1) the ethics and tastefulness, and 2) likely effectiveness from such a shirt.
Put a pair of female breasts behind that shirt, accompanied with a smile and I'd say that'd be VERY effective. Whether there's a physical attraction thing or not (though sex sells, so to speak), men are generally more accomodating to women. Since the majority of thru-hikers are men... Well, if you got it, work it;)