PDA

View Full Version : NE (VT, NH) trip suggestions...

tlbj6142
06-18-2004, 21:55
I missed my trip to SNP (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4945) (major calf muscle pull). So, I'm thinking I'll meet up with my brother when he reaches NE. Say Vermont or NH. I'd like to avoid Maine as it is just too damn far from home (but I'm checking airfare).

Right now my brother is in SNP which means he has about 600 miles until he reaches VT border. At 15 mpd 6-day weeks, he should reach VT mid-to-late August.

I'm looking for a 30-40 mile must see stretch. Something I'd do in 3 full days of hiking. Any suggestions?

Kerosene
06-19-2004, 11:32
I'm pretty sure that most everyone will point you to a section of the White Mountains, although I'm not sure that the travel costs would be all that much different than Maine. You would probably fly into Manchester, NH ($183 if you book now and fly anytime after August 15) and have to catch a ride up to Glencliff (1.5 hours), North Woodstock, or Gorham (2+ hours). Everything I've heard is that the Whites are awesome (my northernmost section ended at Glencliff) but difficult and the weather can be dicey. In 3 days you should be able to hike from Glencliff over the North Woodstock. If you wanted to go over Mt. Washington you could try to meet up at Crawford Notch and end in Gorham.

Another, less scenic but still pleasant hike would be in southern Vermont. It's a 10-hour drive to Bennington and about 40 miles through the Green Mountain National Forest to Manchester. Another option would be to go from Danby to Killington, with the potential of a nice view from the top of Killington Mountain on a clear day. I've hiked this section twice long ago and enjoyed the hiking, but if I had the time and was in sufficient shape I'd probably shoot for 3 days in the Whites.

tlbj6142
06-19-2004, 11:59
although I'm not sure that the travel costs would be all that much different than Maine.I just noticed that. A quick check showed me that I could book a trip to/from Bangor,ME for $240. Plus a rental at $15/day or a shuttle.

It will cost me almost $150 in gas ($75 each way at $1.80/gal 19mpg), plus 24 hours of driving (I love to drive, but I'd rather be hiking!), to reach Hanover. And 3-5 meals in the car.

The drive vs. fly option seems to be leaning toward the fly at this time.

Maybe I shouldn't exclude Maine. Not that there is anything wrong with VT/NH.

The calendar is probably going to be the biggest factor on where we meet. Doing a bit more math, I think he'll end up at the NH/ME border a couple of days before Labor Day weekend. Which would be a great time to stretch 2 days of vacation into a 5 day hike.

Up 'till now he has been going fairly slow-n-steady (his ontrail GF doesn't like to hike more than 15 mpd). So, maybe eastern NH or Western ME would be good fits.

Eastern NH is the Whites, but what is in Western ME?

Maybe I can spend a few more vacation days and meet up with him in late Sept/Oct when he reaches central/eastern Maine. Is 100-mile worth a trip?

Too damn many variables at this point. I guess I'll need to go back to reading about everything from VT to Katahdin.:D And be ready for whatever I can get.

A-Train
06-19-2004, 12:12
Western Maine is the Mahoosuc Range, the most rugged, "remote", slowest going section of the AT. Every mile on the AT is "worth it" and "a must see" in my opinion. You can't go wrong with any trip in vermont, new hampshire or maine, it is the best part of the trail.

The Whites are great and everyone loves them, but I'd pick any part of Maine over them anyday. The 100 mile wilderness is definately worth exploring, its filled with beautiful ponds and lakes to swim and great campsite and shelter spots. Amazing views of Katahdin start about 50 miles before the end. The first half is rather rugged with the Chairback Range and Whitecap Mtn and a couple dicey fords.

I can't believe you of all people is considering hiking the Whites after your announcement that you liked to hike in the most remote places and see as few people as possible. The Whites are an amusement park on the weekends and in august/september littered with people.

tlbj6142
06-19-2004, 17:00
The Whites are great and everyone loves them, but I'd pick any part of Maine over them anyday.That what I supected as well. I read so little about NE (here and elsewhere online) that it is a bit of a question mark to me.

Obviously I'm not in any meaning of the phrase going to be in trail shape when I meet up with him. I am a bit worried about what I have read about ME being so difficult. Maybe some parts are worst than others. I really don't know.

I can't believe you of all people is considering hiking the Whites after your announcement that you liked to hike in the most remote places and see as few people as possible.See people doesn't really bother me, it is having to talk to them (and listen to them) that bothers me the most.

A-Train
06-20-2004, 10:19
In general once you clear the Bigelows, the rest of maine is "smooth sailing" though that saying is much more prevelant for a thru-hiker than section hiker. I'd just suggest lighening your pack as much as possible and trying to get into good shape before you leave. Like I said though, any part of maine you do is fantastic.

Enjoy

tlbj6142
06-20-2004, 22:04
I'd just suggest lighening your pack as much as possible and trying to get into good shape before you leave. Like I said though, any part of maine you do is fantastic.OK, then. I'll plan on doing any part of Maine. I hope he makes it there by Labor Day weekend. Besides my wife already thinks I'm faking the calf muscle thing just so I can go to Maine (She is quite jealous).

My pack is fairly light ~11# base now. And I have plans to cut 1-2# before the hike.

Once my calf heals up I'll plan on evening walks (nothing too serious) and 30-60 stories (up and down) 3 days a week at the "tall building" next door to where I work. I'm blessed with a fairly strong cardio system, it is usually my legs that give out before my lungs.

anadeau
06-26-2004, 23:16
A good section to hike is rt 4 (saddleback) to the bigelows. You'll hit half a dozen of the 4,000 ft peaks in maine, a couple more if you take some side trips to abraham and sugarloaf, which are both right off the AT. I'm guessing it's a 3-4 day trip if you take the side trails and hike fairly quickly. It might not be all that remote, but it's beautiful and a section I never get tired of. The mahoosucs are great too, but pretty rugged. I remember the section between caratunk and monson being fairly easy (well, compared to the sections I mentioned above) though the views might not be as spectacular, there are some really great ponds and such.
I'm probably biased, but anywhere along the AT in maine should be really great in late summer/early fall.