PDA

View Full Version : Mid Layer for cold weather

bishopj
05-15-2009, 12:42
Do any of you the the marmot driclime windshirt as part of your mid layer for cold
weater gear. :confused:

Blissful
05-15-2009, 13:34
No, I never did. I carried it summers. For camp, used an insulating top and a down jacket in cold. For hiking my long sleeve smartwool and sometimes a fleece over it if really cold.

bigcranky
05-15-2009, 14:42
Only in the summer. It's really not an "insulation" layer, though it's plenty warm on a cool June morning in the South.

Mocs123
05-15-2009, 16:36
I wouldn't think it would be very warm for the weight. I have several different mid layers depending on the temp, but most often I use a Patagonia R1 Pullover and Mont-Bell Thermawrap Jacket. I plan on replacing the Thermawrap with a Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket this year for more warmth and less weight.

whcobbs
05-21-2009, 18:01
Do any of you the the marmot driclime windshirt as part of your mid layer for cold
weater gear. :confused:

I'm a Driclime fan for years, but for cold weather I use light weight polypro underwear next to skin, then a Pertex single layer windshirt, then a stretch layer (either Powerstretch fleece or a polypro bicycle jersey). This system moves moisture with minimal retention; in winter I had soaked armpits with the DriClime. If you are going to snowshoe in blizzards (ADKs, New England AT), give serious consideration to a synthetic insulated parka and integrate it into your sleep gear, although this latter suggestion runs a little contrary to current layering dogma.

Walt

Mags
05-21-2009, 19:47
The Driclime and similar is not really meant for a jacket that is to be used for hanging around in camp. If you hike all day and dive into your bag at night, it works well.

As with others, I often layer it with a polypro long sleeve shirt.

garlic08
05-21-2009, 20:47
I always use the Driclime in winter. I think it's fantastic for heavy exertion while climbing on skis. You chose interesting words, "part of your mid layer", because that's exactly what I consider it to be. I also carry a fleece and a down vest.