PDA

View Full Version : Most Exposed Cliffy-like Trail Section?

JenSkim
05-15-2009, 13:25
In my research I have not come across any poll or thread about any part of the AT that is the scariest, and most exposed part.

Any opinion on which part of the AT is cliff-huggingly scary to move around on?

Conversely, any part of the trail you found easiest would be nice to know too.

MOWGLI
05-15-2009, 13:36
Most exposed? Wildcat Ridge - New Hampshire.

Easiest? 3 miles along the C&O Canal - although it hurt my feet because it was so compacted.

JenSkim
05-15-2009, 13:57
So, it was scary and cliff-like?

John B
05-15-2009, 14:02
I don't like heights, so Tinker Cliffs in southern VA wasn't exactly my favorite part of the trail.

Dragon's Tooth, just a bit south of Tinker Cliffs, also wasn't fun for me -- iron rungs to grab, etc.

Just to add that I haven't thru hiked -- only from Amicalola to Catawba thus far.

notorius tic
05-15-2009, 14:45
I would say Knifes edge it was hairy but we just got done Smiling<:

Just a Hiker
05-15-2009, 15:15
For me, there are a few places that are a real drag when it's raining......Wildcat, Moosilauke, Mahoosuc Arm and Old Blue....they frustrate me when it's raining and even when it's not sometimes. Take care!

Just Jim

MOWGLI
05-15-2009, 15:29
I would say Knifes edge it was hairy but we just got done Smiling<:

That's not part of the AT.

modiyooch
05-15-2009, 15:38
1.webster cliffs in 70 mph winds and sleet
2. Kathadin terrified me and since the Knife's edge was not part of the at, i did not bother to hike it. The mistake is to look out/down. the 2-4000 ft drops all around me on K. it was scared me. I bellied over some of those ledges. I didn't know how I was going to get down. I only looked at my feet the whole way down. never again
3. sobo old speck is precarious
4. sobo at palmerton in the rain was unnerving as well.

Many Walks
05-15-2009, 16:34
For us it was Webster Cliffs in New Hampshire. I'm sure it is a beautiful spot with great vistas, but when we went through the valley and cliffs were fogged in with drizzle and 70 MPH gusting winds. They would blow us into the trees and we would brace, then they'd quit and we'd lunge for the cliff...back and forth. Never really knew where the exact drop off was. The we hit the same thing on Mt. Washington with ice on the rocks. That was interesting too!

I agree with Mowgli, the C&O walk is one of the easiest. Just a stroll on a road.

Cookerhiker
05-15-2009, 17:23
My list overlaps some others previously cited. All of the scary/dangerous pieces are only such in wet or icy conditions.

Descending the north side of Moosilauke
Baldpates (delightful when dry)
Descending north side of Bemis - see this reference (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=114621).
South side of Moody Mountain
Parts of the Katahdin ascent
Easiest: in addition to the C&O Canal, there's the stretch along the Housatonic in CT.

Lemni Skate
05-15-2009, 17:56
Charlie's Bunion reminded me of something out of Snuffy Smith.

leeki pole
05-15-2009, 18:08
Parts of Katahdin were mighty unnerving, yet beautiful.

Egads
05-15-2009, 18:14
...any part of the trail you found easiest would be nice to know too.

Springer to Three Forks is pretty damn easy

sasquatch2014
05-16-2009, 08:05
There are large stone steps for the most part descending this section but if it has rained it can be a bit slick and tricky, St John's Ledges just North of Kent. You should also pay attention if anyone is rock climbing that day as I have had some nice size rocks come bouncing off the cliffs down near me.

daddytwosticks
05-16-2009, 12:55
Take this for what it's worth, I'm just a section hiker down here on the southern end of the trail. Most "cliffy-like" would be maybe Big Butt right before Albert Mtn (remember Walk in the Woods?). Easiest...agree w/Egads! :)

Lemni Skate
05-16-2009, 20:07
No such thing as "Just a section hiker," daddytwosticks. Section Hikers rock!

Cookerhiker
05-17-2009, 11:41
....Section Hikers rock!

Here, here!:banana

Blissful
05-17-2009, 16:29
One spot on the climb up from Palmerton was nasty

One area on Old Speck - not too hairy going up but you do have to grab hold of a ladder sideways on a sheer rock face, and if you miss, bye bye birdie

Yes, and one area going up Katahdin, but honestly, I didnt care then...

Blissful
05-17-2009, 16:30
Section Hikers rock!

Agreed. :sun

generoll
05-17-2009, 18:21
the good weather route over Blackstack Cliffs was very scenic. Not much to hold onto in a blow there. Which is probably why it's recommended as a good weather route only.

vonfrick
05-17-2009, 18:41
not on the at but there's this one spot going up the forehead of mt. mansfield where you gotta kinda leap around a corner