PDA

View Full Version : how far ?

Nina
05-15-2009, 13:36
can anyone tell me how many miles it is from the baxter park boundry (abol campground) to the start of the 100 mile wilderness? and is there a marker or something so you know when you are entering that area, what is the last "place" before you go into the wilderness? Thanks

kofritz
05-15-2009, 14:08
trick Q - aobut 100 miles

modiyooch
05-15-2009, 15:42
can anyone tell me how many miles it is from the baxter park boundry (abol campground) to the start of the 100 mile wilderness? and is there a marker or something so you know when you are entering that area, what is the last "place" before you go into the wilderness? Thanks
.5 maybe. just cross the road bridge and the entrance is on the left into the woods

Nina
05-15-2009, 15:54
Could anyone tell me approx how long it would take statiing at Springer to get to Gatlinburg and what is the name of the landing for lack of a better word at Gatlingurg my family will be resuppling us there thanks
-----------:p----------

peakbagger
05-15-2009, 15:57
There is some potential confusion in this question. Inside Baxter State Park is a campground called "Abol Campground, it is not on the AT and is a couple of miles south of Katadin Stream Campground on the perimeter road. The Abol trail starts at this campground and it intersects the Hunt trail (AT) up on the tablelands of the mountain. It would be several miles to the Park Boundary.
Immediately outside the boundary of the park is Abol bridge campground. This is a private campgrond managed by the people who own the Abol Bridge store. Basically the 100 mile wilderness starts as soon as you cross the bridge over the river and turn left off the road. There is usually a MATC sign set in the woods a bit that announces that you are entering the 100 mile wilderness but it does disapear on occasion.