PDA

View Full Version : Parking in harpers ferry and pen mar park

Ridge Rat
05-15-2009, 17:43
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could leave 2 cars. 1 is being left in harpers ferry (in theory) and the other in penn mar park (in theory) for approx. 3 days. How is the parking situation there? Is there a fee? Will both cars be ticketed and towed? Where should I park the cars and whom should or should not be notified?

Thanks in advance
Ridge Rat

Toolshed
05-15-2009, 18:57
Pen Mar is great parking. Park just outside the gate, across the road from the park entrance. well protected and surrounded by houses. I have left my vehicles there for up to 4 nights over the years. Don't park inside the gate, you will get locked in at dusk and you may also get a ticket.

In HF, I would park at the National Park headquarters Visitor parking lot and let the Ranger know you are leaving a car there for a few days.

Don H
05-15-2009, 22:34
I agree with Toolshed about parking at PenMar. I've parked there over a week and had no problems. For information on parking in Harpers Ferry you might want to contact these guys, River and Trails Outfitters at http://www.rivertrail.com/Hiking.html[/URL] I've never used them but they do shuttles and maybe you could park at their place for a fee.

Mrs Baggins
05-16-2009, 05:08
Parking at the HF Visitors Center is very simple, but you need to do it when the center is open and a ranger is present at the gate. You need to fill out a form with your name, the info on the car, where you're going and when you'll return so that they know why a car has been in the lot for more than a day. We always dropped one off in the late afternoon, day before the hike, while the center was still open, so that we could set off on our hike as early as possible the next morning from the other end. You won't be charged by day.

sasquatch2014
05-16-2009, 07:59
Also keep in mind that the same rules at HF go for getting your car out, you have to be there before the park closes or you have to wait till the next day. I have left cars at both the HF Visitor center as well as the Hostel a few miles down the C&O into MD. The hostel does charge a fee but fairly cheap. Have also left cars up at PenMar as well with no problems. Have a great trip.

Blissful
05-17-2009, 16:35
They also require you to ride the shuttle bus and hikers have to go in the back of the bus. :)