PDA

View Full Version : Email/ Internet access along the trail...

Safari
05-15-2009, 18:42
hey hey,

this has probably been asked 1000 times but what are the chances of hoping on the net every now and then to message my wife and let her know that I haven't been abducted by little green men... is there much in the way of internet access?? Not sure what the situation is regarding 'internet cafes' in the US... Thanks all!

The Weasel
05-15-2009, 19:20
Yes. It's been asked 100 times: Chances are certain of being on the net all you want. It's everywhere. Hostels, motels, libraries.

TW

Bearpaw
05-15-2009, 19:36
Yes. It's been asked 100 times: Chances are certain of being on the net all you want. It's everywhere. Hostels, motels, libraries.

TW

Agreed.

Check out the Thru-hiker's Handbook or Thru-hiker's Companion or the Appalachian Pages. They all list town services along the entire trail corridor including places that offer internet service.

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2009, 18:42
Every year it gets a little better, still just a hair above useless for the moment.

Desert Reprobate
05-16-2009, 18:45
Just carry a netbook. You can tap into WiFi hotspots as you hike.

kayak karl
05-16-2009, 18:53
hey hey,

this has probably been asked 1000 times but what are the chances of hoping on the net every now and then to message my wife and let her know that I haven't been abducted by little green men... is there much in the way of internet access?? Not sure what the situation is regarding 'internet cafes' in the US... Thanks all!
but your internet phone in a bounce box or carry it. verizon is ok in the south. dont know abot north.

Jayboflavin04
05-17-2009, 09:09
Birdman and lil-Wayne father/son duo carried a blackberry with them. We were at hogback ridge and lil wayne was checking final 4 and updating their trail journals.

McIntyre
05-20-2009, 10:32
Last summer, going about 600 miles north from Springer Mt., I found BlackBerry to be excellent from many ridges & gaps. Phone connection only 20 percent of the time, but email and texting up to maybe 35-40 percent. Also used BB to snag current weather reports and Whiteblaze info. Turn. Device off when not using and battery easily went week+.

Blissful
05-20-2009, 13:30
No problem with Internet access. (And it's okay to ask too. We were all new at this GaMe once) :)

freebird'08
05-20-2009, 14:36
there are several places you can internet access. All the trail towns with public lib. and also hostels. I am a current sobo and have found internet in both places. I now work at Nolichucky hostel, "waiting out the last of the nobo push" and we have internet access. There should be no problem with internet in any of the towns. I have seen several indaviduals "as earlier post said" bounce theie laptops and also carry blackberries. Best of luck with your hike

emerald
05-20-2009, 20:43
Check out the Thru-hiker's Handbook or Thru-hiker's Companion or the Appalachian Pages. They all list town services along the entire trail corridor including places that offer internet service.

Click on the link in my signature to view Companion text for 2009 and updates.