PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Gatlinburg - how far?

Bad Co
05-15-2009, 15:00
Could anyone tell me approx how long it would take statiing at Springer to get to Gatlinburg and what is the name of the landing for lack of a better word at Gatlingurg my family will be resuppling us there thanks

Also directions to Springer from Greenville SC
want to start there already done the approach trail

cknight
05-15-2009, 20:21
How fast do you hike? How many miles do you want to hike per day. It's 205 miles to Newfound Gap not counting the approach trial.

My suggestion, get one of the better Trail Guides, Appalachian Pages 2009 Northbound is a good one, Copy the pages from Springer to Newfound Gap, lay them all out in order, figure out where you want to spend the night and by all means hike you plan.

Engine
05-15-2009, 20:24
The trail does not go into Gatlinburg, but Newfound Gap is only 15 miles away. That is the closest meeting point to Gat-Vegas on the trail. That location is around 200 miles (no map close by right now) from Springer and if you average 12 miles per day, which is a healthy average for a young energetic hiker when a couple of zero days are factored in, then 16-17 days would be a good guess. Some are a few days faster and some slower, so you have to plug your own numbers in with respect to days off and miles per day.

Bad Co
05-15-2009, 20:51
Newfound Gap Thanks
Thats what I was looking for
The timing is perfect 16-20 days
Where would I pick up the trail at Springer if I start there ( directions from G'ville SC )
don't want to do the approch trail again

peanuts
05-15-2009, 21:29
forest service road #42 you will find the parking lot to springer.

Bad Co
05-16-2009, 00:17
Thanks Peanuts

flemdawg1
05-19-2009, 10:39
The trail does not go into Gatlinburg, but Newfound Gap is only 15 miles away. That is the closest meeting point to Gat-Vegas on the trail. That location is around 200 miles (no map close by right now) from Springer and if you average 12 miles per day, which is a healthy average for a young energetic hiker when a couple of zero days are factored in, then 16-17 days would be a good guess. Some are a few days faster and some slower, so you have to plug your own numbers in with respect to days off and miles per day.

Theoretically you could hike into Gatlinburg by taking the Boulevard Trail to the Bull Head Trail, then the Old Sugarlands Trail down to the Sugarlands Visitor Center then taking the Gatlinburg Trail into towm.

Ox97GaMe
05-19-2009, 10:55
If you are taking the train or bus into Gainesville, there are taxi and shuttle services that you can utilize to get you to either Amicalola Falls State Part (approach trail to AT) or to the parking lot near the summit on FS42. Check the shuttle services provided on this forum or the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website.