PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Purchase

jrnj5k
05-15-2009, 22:14
I have a campmor 20 degree down mummy bag.....it sucks. money is no object....should i buy a 0 degree bag like the western mountaineering kodiak or should i buy a 35 degree bag like the western mountaineering highlight which only weighs 1lb?

Im torn....help

Egads
05-15-2009, 22:24
Buy a bag for the conditions you will use it. But since money is no object, buy both :rolleyes:

jrnj5k
05-15-2009, 22:26
need to pick just 1. the wintr bags perfect for winter the summer bags perfect for summer. my campmor bag is perfect for fall and spring....

cmon lets hear it

Feral Bill
05-15-2009, 22:36
How about this? (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=20)

jrnj5k
05-15-2009, 22:38
give me a sales pitch please

ChinMusic
05-15-2009, 22:42
Do you feel cramped at all in a mummy bag? Wide shoulders? If so, consider a Montbell Super Stretch.

jrnj5k
05-15-2009, 22:48
nope im 5'8" 150 and sleep like a rock

Seeker
05-15-2009, 23:19
what's the lowest temperature you expect to camp in? do you just camp in the summer? just winter? 4-season? where? your 3 season may be my 4 season... i live and do most of my outdoor stuff in Louisiana. the rest of the time, it's the adirondacks or smokies in summer. lowest temps i experience in winter here are high 20s... my WM Caribou is rated to 35*F. i've had it comfortably down to 30, tolerable down to 28... it's a great bag, and WM has very conservative ratings... some others exaggerate a bit... Feathered Friends, Montbell, and Marmot come to mind as good alternatives too.

Jayboflavin04
05-15-2009, 23:37
Thought I was a cold sleeper until I got a WM bag. I have the ultralight and have slept at the bag rating of 20 comfortably. I could have gone into the teens easily and I had more clothes in my pack to put on. The ultralight is a narrow cut bag. I am 6' 165lbs and have room to wiggle, and for xtra clothes.

Many Walks
05-15-2009, 23:43
We've had Big Agnes and North Face bags, but after looking around quite a bit we were in San Jose and ordered the WM HighLite bags. Only took three days to get them and they are nice. They only have a half zipper, but we can deal with that considering how light they are. Bags are 35 degree - 15 oz for the 5' 6" and 17 oz for the 6'6"...sweet! We tent camp so a 35 degree bag works fine for us in fairly cool weather. Almost went for the Caribou MF, but it was 6 oz heavier and still a 35 degree bag. Looks like you would need the 6' bag @ 16 oz. for the HighLite. That's hard to beat.

We're stuffing them in the Osprey Exos 58 packs (2 lbs 8 oz) we got a few weeks ago and hitting a section of the PCT this weekend to start tuning things for a Tahoe Rim Trail hike.

MintakaCat
05-16-2009, 06:06

Well, here is the sleeping bag I used last winter:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1624&prod=2978&cat=1676&viewAll=False

I haven't seen anybody on this web site who uses Mountain Hardware sleeping bags so I guess I'm in the minority. Maybe that's just me, but for some reason I don't follow the majority when it comes to my gear purchases.

The Phantom 0 degree bag only weighs 2 lbs, 10 oz. and has worked well for me. I liked it so much that I also got the Phantom 32 degree bag and it weighs only 1 lbs, 6 oz.

Engine
05-16-2009, 06:37
Western Mountaineering Caribou!!! Same bag as the Highlite but weighs 4 ounces more because it is made of much tougher material that is very water resistant.

Karrmer
05-16-2009, 07:06
I grabbed a Western Mountaineering Puma MF (-25*) because ... it is on sale at Backcountry.com and, like you, I needed just one bag and figured better safe than sorry.

Still only around 3 pounds.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/WES0024/Western-Mountaineering-Puma-MF-Sleeping-Bag-25-Degree-Down.html

Engine
05-16-2009, 08:31
I grabbed a Western Mountaineering Puma MF (-25*) because ... it is on sale at Backcountry.com and, like you, I needed just one bag and figured better safe than sorry.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/WES0024/Western-Mountaineering-Puma-MF-Sleeping-Bag-25-Degree-Down.html

Are you going to use a -25* bag year round? I sincerely hope it works for you, but I would die with just my legs in a bag that warm even in 35* weather.

simon
05-16-2009, 08:57
I'm curious, why did you state the campmor bag sucks?

littlelaurel59
05-16-2009, 09:52

I love my Highlite: ultralight, ultracompact, ultrawarm, ultracheap. Well, 3 of 4 ain't bad.

It's 35* rating is conservative, but it is not too hot in the summer. When it is colder, I add a liner. I once went comfortably into single digits with it under my Rayway quilt.

The half zipper makes it a challenge in a hammock, but I have managed. It is snug, so not a good option for linebackers or Sumo wrestlers.

Engine
05-16-2009, 10:58
I love my Highlite: ultralight, ultracompact, ultrawarm, ultracheap. Well, 3 of 4 ain't bad.

It's 35* rating is conservative, but it is not too hot in the summer. When it is colder, I add a liner. I once went comfortably into single digits with it under my Rayway quilt.

The half zipper makes it a challenge in a hammock, but I have managed. It is snug, so not a good option for linebackers or Sumo wrestlers.

Another reason to go with the Caribou, it is cut a little roomier than the Highlite.

daddytwosticks
05-16-2009, 13:05
Another vote for the Carabou...it's a work of art! :)

jrnj5k
05-16-2009, 15:18
I'm curious, why did you state the campmor bag sucks?

The Campmor bag is a good bag for the money but there are a couple reasons i don't like it. First its a 30 degree bag that's advertised as a 20 degree bag. Second the fill is 550 which partially explains the poor rating and also explains the high weight of 2lbs 4 ounces. Its probably the same temp rating as the highlite by WM for an extra 1lb 4 ounces.

jrnj5k
05-16-2009, 15:20
I bought the highlite by the way so thanks for your help.

Engine
05-16-2009, 15:25
You can't go wrong with a WM product, I hope you enjoy it a long time.

Seeker
05-16-2009, 19:22
Western Mountaineering Caribou!!! Same bag as the Highlite but weighs 4 ounces more because it is made of much tougher material that is very water resistant.

AND it has a full length zipper...

Engine
05-16-2009, 19:55
AND it has a full length zipper...

I didn't think about that, since I didn't know the Highlite had a partial zipper. Good point.

ChinMusic
05-16-2009, 21:38
IMO, full zipper is a must, especially for a summer-type bag. A 1/2 zip is a PITA for me. I love the feel of my (older model) Marmot Hydrogen but hate the 1/2 zipper on it. I'm considering selling it on eBay and getting a new Montbell.

jrnj5k
05-16-2009, 23:03
thats funny you mention that you dont like a short zipper. its one of my favorite features

Karrmer
05-16-2009, 23:13
Are you going to use a -25* bag year round? I sincerely hope it works for you, but I would die with just my legs in a bag that warm even in 35* weather.

Yeah... I know, a little much but I plan to spend a lot of time in Alaska and Antarctica so I needed something decent.

If its too warm the rest of the time I'll .. figure something out, I guess ;)

ChinMusic
05-16-2009, 23:19
thats funny you mention that you dont like a short zipper. its one of my favorite features
Really? Why would that be? I really want to know what some like a short zipper.

For me a short zipper makes it hard to use when the temperature warms and takes away the ability to use the bag as a quilt.......all for saving what, an ounce?

jrnj5k
05-16-2009, 23:29
i like a short zipper because it reduces the weight of my pack. second i feel like anything more than a half length zipper is a luxury and i am happy keeping things basic. If i get hot I can open the bag up all the way down to my waist. I think that that gives me plenty of flexibility for weather fluctuation. I guess i just dont see the benefit of a full zip worrth the cost but thats the beauty of you being able to buy full zip and me half:) :) :)

Tipi Walter
05-17-2009, 00:21
I have a campmor 20 degree down mummy bag.....it sucks. money is no object....should i buy a 0 degree bag like the western mountaineering kodiak or should i buy a 35 degree bag like the western mountaineering highlight which only weighs 1lb?

Im torn....help

I've heard some bad reports on the "great deal" Campmor down bags and it's another example of losing money in the long run by trying to save money in the short term. Why? Cuz most cold weather backpackers find out how poorly they work and quickly upgrade to a serious down product(i.e. WM or FF). Most sleeping bags are over rated, I'd say by about 15 degrees, so a 10F bag won't work at anything below 25F, etc.

"Better safe than sorry" about says it all. I went years carrying one bag thru the four seasons, and it was the warmest goose down thing I could afford. One bag is all a person really needs. My latest bag is a WM Puma, too, and I got it at Backcountry.com last year. When I bought the bag it was rated at around -15F, I think the -25 rating is for the 4 oz overfill despite what the website says.

Here's the thing with having just one warm bag: it can be used in the winter(duh), and can be used in the summer as an open blanket, or left off until you get chilled. There's no problem with using a subzero bag for the summer, plus it gives you the freedom to go anywhere at anytime, and even in the summer at 6,000 feet it can come in handy. It may never be zipped up in the summer, but as a throw-over "quilt" it'll keep you warm no matter what. Just don't use it in the summer until you get chilled.

Jayboflavin04
05-17-2009, 09:45
Was wondering how you folks that own the Caribou like the box stitch construction?

garlic08
05-17-2009, 11:12
Sorry to hear you didn't like your Campmor bag. It was a good first down bag for me for the price. But I must admit, when I finally upgraded to a quality bag, I kicked myself for waiting so long. I agree with Tipi here, if you have the money, get a quality bag. Campmor is OK for a starter bag, and mine is seeing extended life as a summer bag for a young friend in the Scouts.

One other thing to consider in a bag for multi-season use; get one that does not have side baffles, so you can move down from top to bottom depending on temps. My Marmot Helium (1/2 zip) works well for me in summer with the down shifted to the bottom.

I also like the 1/2 zip (weight concerns), and was disappointed when the new Helium came out with a full zip. But I know I'm in the extreme minority. Nearly everyone else I've met with a Helium complained about the 1/2 zip, and I'm sure that's why they changed it.

Wags
05-17-2009, 12:13
Well, here is the sleeping bag I used last winter:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1624&prod=2978&cat=1676&viewAll=False

I haven't seen anybody on this web site who uses Mountain Hardware sleeping bags so I guess I'm in the minority. Maybe that's just me, but for some reason I don't follow the majority when it comes to my gear purchases.

i too use a mountain hardwear bag (but mine's a 600 fill so it's bulkier and about a lb heavier than yours). i really like the bag a lot and find the rating on it to be spot on. i would have no qualms against buying the 800 fill down MH bag

Wags
05-17-2009, 12:14
sorry not a lb heavier, like 2 ozs, but mine's a +20 not a 0

Speakeasy
05-17-2009, 13:24
anyone have any experience with the marmot sawtooth? I have a synthetic sierra designs and it takes up a ton of room in my deuter act 45*10. so now i'm looking for a decent down bag that doesn't cost a ton of $$...

daddytwosticks
05-17-2009, 14:00
Question about the Caribou's box stitch construction...I owned an Kelty Light year 25 (down) that was really a 35 degree bag. The way it was constructed allowed you to shift the down from the top of the bag to the bottom (continuous baffles?). I hated this 'cuz the bag had a mind of its own...I swear the down would migrate from the top to the bottom OVERNIGHT! I'd freeze with no down insulation on the top, especially around by neck/chest area. Problem solved w/the Caribou! :)

Feral Bill
05-17-2009, 14:20
Yeah... I know, a little much but I plan to spend a lot of time in Alaska and Antarctica so I needed something decent.

If its too warm the rest of the time I'll .. figure something out, I guess ;)

In Alaska, if its winter -25 is not nearly warm enough, in summer, far too warm.

Antarctica is a whole different world. What do you have planned for there?

You might seriously consider a two bag system, (a 0 degree bag and a 30) and be ready for anything.

Engine
05-17-2009, 18:21
Was wondering how you folks that own the Caribou like the box stitch construction?

I actually like it. The lack of baffles reduces movement of the down and hasn't caused any cold spots for me as yet. I am a very warm sleeper though.

JokerJersey
05-17-2009, 19:56
This was an area where I just couldn't sacrifice weight. I bought a Big Agnes Encampment +15 bag as my 3 season bag for 2 reasons...I'm claustrophobic and I liked the idea of the combined sleeping pad/bag system. I'm willing to take an extra 2-3lbs to be able to sleep comfortably. When it gets hot, as I'm tenting, I'll just sleep on top of the bag. As it gets cooler, I'll layer up.

It's one of only 2 places on my gear list where I shook my head at the lighter options and went with something heavier that fit my personal style better.

bullseye
05-17-2009, 20:36
Here's another vote for Mountain Hardware. I own the Phantom 15, 32 and 45. I carry the 45 3 seasons and the 15 most other times. I love the footbox in the phantom bags.

Rosborn88
05-18-2009, 15:10
I bought the highlite by the way so thanks for your help.

Nice! But so much for the surprise...

jrnj5k
05-18-2009, 15:23
you said you never checked

Sassafras Lass
03-02-2010, 18:59
My husband just emailed me to say that my GoLite Venture 20 arrived and I can't wait to get off work and try it out! :D I'll post later after I've looked it over.

I was torn between the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 and the GoLite Venture 20 (discontinued and reconfigured into the Adventure, but now less down). I ended up going with the GoLite because I got it @ a terrific price at Sierra Trading Post, $184 including shipping (if you sign up for their newsletters they immediately send you a 20% coupon), as it normally sells for between $259-$325 everywhere else. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Mountain Hardwear brand in general - they seem very determined to produce a well-made, long-lasting product.

We bought my husband a Marmot Helium 15 Long. It was the only thing comparable in quality that wasn't way out of our price range. We bought it at Campmor for about $80 off - not exponential savings, but enough to move us to buy it.