PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake near Roanoke

MileMonster
05-16-2009, 10:34
Anyone in the Roanoke area feel the quake this AM? Apparently a 2.6 at around 4 AM. My folks are in Alleghany County but weren't roused from sleep. Would've been interesting to be in a shelter.

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/roanoke_earthquake_measures_2.6_on_richter_scale/35484/

Engine
05-16-2009, 10:47
I doubt you would have felt it, 2.6 is extremely mild and other than animals and seismologists I doubt anyone felt it.

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 12:40
First base I was ever stationed at was Misawa, Air Base in Nothern Japan. Flew 14 hours from Keesler, AFB Mississippi to Narita International Airport. Once I made my way to Misawa and settled into my barracks, the only thing I wanted to do was to go to sleep. Within 5 minutes of laying down to sleep, my bed began to slowly rock. My first thought was that my roomate liked me more than I liked him, but it ended up to be the first of many earthquakes I'd experience in the next two years!

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2009, 15:09
Most small quakes clearly go unnoticed. Some folk feel them or hear them, I appear to be one of them. Doesn't bother me when the TV falls over. Stuff happens. Hear in PA I pick up on four to six a year and my wife thinks otherwise. Best to google and discover.

MintakaCat
05-16-2009, 16:02
Here's some details:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/sehnw0516a.php

McKeever
05-16-2009, 16:21
Just arrived back home from trail days to read this. The link to the Roanoke TV station wsls in the original post lists readers comments. Their are many reports of houses and windows shaking in Salem and the USGS upgraded it to a 3.0 quake. I wonder if there will be another tremor?

Lemni Skate
05-16-2009, 20:05
I only have ever noticed one. I had just arrived at my home (at the time) and had just got my feet on the ground and I heard it. I didn't feel it, but I heard it. I surprised myself because I knew what it was. It was a 4.5 which is as big as I have heard of in Virginia in recent years.

BigCat
05-16-2009, 20:41
I have a friend in Cave Spring that was awoken by the quake. They originally thought a tree had fallen on the house. After going outside the whole neighborhood was up -- looking around in confusion.

Tennessee Viking
05-17-2009, 02:06
The Appalachians Fault is still moving today but not as extreme as it once was hundreds of years ago.

Then again its probably the thru-hiker crowd and their rubbling stomachs.

Heater
05-17-2009, 02:15
There was an earthquake near Dallas, Texas yesterday as well. 3.3

What the... :confused:

"Jesse Moore with the National Weather Service in Fort Worth said Saturday's earthquake at 11:24 a.m. came in at 3.3, according to the National Earthquake Information Center.
Moore said he had not heard of any reports of damage nor injuries. Moore said the earthquake was centered about four miles south of Euless and 18 miles west of Dallas."

Texas Quake (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520392,00.html)