PDA

View Full Version : White Castle vs. Krystal's?

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 10:38
Okay, I know I started the whole "Best Pizza on the Trail" deal, but because I've been stationed overseas the last four years, I'm always thinking of the best fast foods (not necessarily good for you!) that I miss. Before deploying to Cauracao (rough stint ;)) I had the unfortunate experience of eating at "Krystal's" in Tampa, Florida. This is a hack job operation that attempts to mimic the fine dining of White Castle! :D Okay, fine dining is really reaching! My question is: If you you were unfortunate enough to be walking the plank (I'm Air Force and don't know why I'm using a Navy scenario?:confused:) and the skipper (Captain/Admiral) said "Your last meal will be take-out from White Castle or Krystal," what would you choose? :-?

Engine
05-16-2009, 10:45
Gotta go with White Castle, but I can't say I've ever seen one in a trail town though.

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 10:51
Gotta go with White Castle, but I can't say I've ever seen on in a trail town though.

Okay, poll complete! I agree w/the first responder, Engine! :) White Castle's it is!! :D

Bearpaw
05-16-2009, 11:22
HAH! White Castle wishes it could be as good as Krystal!

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 11:25
HAH! White Castle wishes it could be as good as Krystal!

Man...Just when I thought you were one of the good guys on this site! :confused: That's okay, I know W.C. is the best! :D

wcgornto
05-16-2009, 11:35
Both are awful. I wouldn´t feed either to a stray dog because I don´t want the ASPCA to have me arrested for cruelty to animals. The terrible trio (McDonald´s, Wendy´s, Burger King), though barely edible, are all far better than either Krystal or White Castle.

Mr. Magoo
05-16-2009, 11:41
White Castle eclipses Krystal's, hands down.

Grinder
05-16-2009, 11:41
when I was a kid in the fifties in Detroit, the White Castle competition was "TopHat" (I think)

One of the joys in life was a $1 worth of top hats (8!! they were 2 for a quarter then)and a chocolate shake!

White Castle was about the same, taste wise, but much farther to drive to.

A few years ago, I got a bag of Krystal's and they brought back old memories.

So---I can't say I can tell the difference between brands

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 11:48
Both are awful. I wouldn´t feed either to a stray dog because I don´t want the ASPCA to have me arrested for cruelty to animals. The terrible trio (McDonald´s, Wendy´s, Burger King), though barely edible, are all far better than either Krystal or White Castle.

The trio of a steamed-square bun, re-dehydrated onions and a thin square hamburger patty punched with holes sounds pretty good to me! ;) Been overseas too long huh? :confused: Still looking forward to a double slider w/cheese! :p (spicy mustard for a final touch!)

Engine
05-16-2009, 12:08
The trio of a steamed-square bun, re-dehydrated onions and a thin square hamburger patty punched with holes sounds pretty good to me! ;) Been overseas too long huh? :confused: Still looking forward to a double slider w/cheese! :p (spicy mustard for a final touch!)

Get assigned to Tyndall for whatever excuse you can find, as memory serves there is a White Castle in Panama City. :)

GrubbyJohn
05-16-2009, 12:15
can't beat a slider go white castle.

peanuts
05-16-2009, 12:57
sliders all the way....:banana i miss them terribly!

hoz
05-16-2009, 13:33
My very first job was at White Castle. The first day I ate 34!

We once had an "African Prince" order 800 to take back to his village. Can you imagine the smell on that plane?

Today I do well to eat 4 at once, but I still love them.

Sliders all the way. Krystal is a pale imitation.

middle to middle
05-16-2009, 13:35
I recall a White Castle on a traffic circle in Clark NJ. Open all night and undoubtedly the best little hamburgers in the world. At two oclock in the morning after a long night of whatever especially. Even vegans would do it. After a long night of drinking that is.

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 13:43
My very first job was at White Castle. The first day I ate 34!

We once had an "African Prince" order 800 to take back to his village. Can you imagine the smell on that plane?

Today I do well to eat 4 at once, but I still love them.

Sliders all the way. Krystal is a pale imitation.

34, impressive!! :eek: I think the most I ate at one sitting was 22, but I had two batches of the ribbed fries that filled me up a bit! :D

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 13:44
I recall a White Castle on a traffic circle in Clark NJ. Open all night and undoubtedly the best little hamburgers in the world. At two oclock in the morning after a long night of whatever especially. Even vegans would do it. After a long night of drinking that is.
Great late night snack after consuming/doing whatever your vice is!! ;)

Analogman
05-16-2009, 15:00
Okay, I know I started the whole "Best Pizza on the Trail" deal, but because I've been stationed overseas the last four years, I'm always thinking of the best fast foods (not necessarily good for you!) that I miss. Before deploying to Cauracao (rough stint ;)) I had the unfortunate experience of eating at "Krystal's" in Tampa, Florida. This is a hack job operation that attempts to mimic the fine dining of White Castle! :D Okay, fine dining is really reaching! My question is: If you you were unfortunate enough to be walking the plank (I'm Air Force and don't know why I'm using a Navy scenario?:confused:) and the skipper (Captain/Admiral) said "Your last meal will be take-out from White Castle or Krystal," what would you choose? :-?

Although Krystal's makes a pretty tasty burger, White Castle is simply better.

Chatter
05-16-2009, 15:56
sliders all the way....:banana i miss them terribly!

No need to fret; here is what WC's website has to say about the matter (of course, the frozen version might not slide as well as when "fresh"):

http://www.whitecastle.com/_pages/frozen.asp

"If being far from a White Castle has you close to the edge, chill out. Head to your grocer’s freezer and pick up a box of frozen White Castle Hamburgers or Cheeseburgers for that classic off-the-griddle taste on the fly.

Frozen White Castle burgers are available in more than 30 states across this craving nation. Near or far, find your local participating frozen food retailer now."

snowhoe
05-16-2009, 16:02
White castle are for the people that live north of the Mason Dixon line and Krystals are for the people that live south of it.

bullseye
05-16-2009, 16:31
I've never had Krystal's, but the one time I attempted to eat at WC someone there called them Rat Burgers:eek:. That was enough for me to go next door to the bagel shop:D.

Engine
05-16-2009, 16:34
I just checked the website and I was obviously wrong about a retail location in Panama City. The states with active locations are:
MN, WI, MI, NY, IL, IN, OH, NJ, MO, KY, TN.

le loupe
05-16-2009, 17:28
I just checked the website and I was obviously wrong about a retail location in Panama City. The states with active locations are:
MN, WI, MI, NY, IL, IN, OH, NJ, MO, KY, TN.

so much for it being a north-south thing...

Bearpaw
05-16-2009, 17:33
so much for it being a north-south thing...

It's very much a north-south thing.

White Castle tried invading the area about 20 years ago. They can't hope to compete. Maybe it's the long drive south, but every time I've eaten one, the bun has been tough, downright chewy, like a bagel. I enjoy bagels occasionally, but not with my perfect little patty and steamed onions.

There's a Krystal on most street corners around here. Not many White Castles.

Foyt20
05-16-2009, 17:58

Actually Middle, I believe that is a White Diamond. Some of the greatest burgers I have ever tasted. Not a white Castle. They are the only place that stays open during snow storms so the parking lot is plowed all night :D.

I know this because I grew up in Cranford (right next door to Clark). Its amazing how the internet crosses paths Middle :D
:bananaWhite Diamond :banana:banana:banana:banana

Capybara
05-16-2009, 18:31
The place in Clark NJ was a White Diamond, and in HS we stop there for a "Ratburger and side of tails". I now appreciated the sophiticated taste of the original White Castle, of course

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 21:34
No need to fret; here is what WC's website has to say about the matter (of course, the frozen version might not slide as well as when "fresh"):

http://www.whitecastle.com/_pages/frozen.asp

"If being far from a White Castle has you close to the edge, chill out. Head to your grocer’s freezer and pick up a box of frozen White Castle Hamburgers or Cheeseburgers for that classic off-the-griddle taste on the fly.

Frozen White Castle burgers are available in more than 30 states across this craving nation. Near or far, find your local participating frozen food retailer now."

Had the frozen variety in the past. Just doesn't hit the spot! :( Thanks for the info though!!

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 22:00
Actually Middle, I believe that is a White Diamond. Some of the greatest burgers I have ever tasted. Not a white Castle. They are the only place that stays open during snow storms so the parking lot is plowed all night :D.

I know this because I grew up in Cranford (right next door to Clark). Its amazing how the internet crosses paths Middle :D
:bananaWhite Diamond :banana:banana:banana:banana http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:KRx-7zuK5lqLIM::i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/dinerman/IMG_5150.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/dinerman/IMG_5150.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2404%26page%3D4&h=600&w=800&sz=221&tbnid=KRx-7zuK5lqLIM::&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwhite%2Bdiamond%2Bhamburgers,%2Bdiner %2Bpictures&hl=en&usg=__1UgOFzhC95z-vEsrOGCQrSNFZ4g=&ei=xW4PSsbULcaHkQXew722BA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image)

This the place? Are their burger's small like W.C. and Krystal's?

Pacific Tortuga
05-16-2009, 22:01
IN & OUT Burger out west is the best.

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 22:29
IN & OUT Burger out west is the best.

Never tried them , but they looked pretty good when I googled them! :p

Bronk
05-17-2009, 01:14
Krystal = indigestion

White Castle + Party Pack = major indigestion

Nearly Normal
05-17-2009, 01:35
Once in the early 70's, while driving across Georgia I stopped at a krystal in Cordele (pronounced coredeal) (It's a notable Krystal with a full sized rocket ship in the parking lot as a draw)
It was rather late in the evening and was the only car in the lot.
Returning to the car with a sack full to snak on as I drove, a big old 225 pulled in and attempted to back into a parking spot.
It backed up onto a power pole guy wire rather quickly and wound up standing on it's nose.
The guy hollared "what the hell do I do now?"
I told him to take his foot off the brake and he rolled down fine.
Heck of a show and I was the only one to see it.

World-Wide
05-17-2009, 04:00
Once in the early 70's, while driving across Georgia I stopped at a krystal in Cordele (pronounced coredeal) (It's a notable Krystal with a full sized rocket ship in the parking lot as a draw)
It was rather late in the evening and was the only car in the lot.
Returning to the car with a sack full to snak on as I drove, a big old 225 pulled in and attempted to back into a parking spot.
It backed up onto a power pole guy wire rather quickly and wound up standing on it's nose.
The guy hollared "what the hell do I do now?"
I told him to take his foot off the brake and he rolled down fine.
Heck of a show and I was the only one to see it.

So after all that you decided White Castle's rocks? :D

sasquatch2014
05-17-2009, 07:35
Has there ever been a movie made about Krystal's? Nope didn't think so but the Cult of the White Castle is so strong that one has been made.

wcgornto
05-17-2009, 08:28
Varsity pimento cheese burgers top anything that Krystal or White Castle have to offer. Only available in Atlanta, GA or Athens, GA though.

World-Wide
05-17-2009, 08:58
Has there ever been a movie made about Krystal's? Nope didn't think so but the Cult of the White Castle is so strong that one has been made.

Good point! :D

Egads
05-17-2009, 09:37
Gut Bombs at both :eek:

Roan Creeper
05-17-2009, 14:54
Krystals....

spindle
05-17-2009, 15:43
White Castle. A whole sack, after the bars close.

Your insides will thank you, or not.

traildust
05-17-2009, 16:25
I take it back. Told my wife that there were no serious conversations on Whiteblaze but this one ranks right up there with "great taste, less filling". McDonalds. Your innards will thank you.

hoz
05-17-2009, 16:50
While working at WC we tried all sorts of combinations to offer variety. We deep fried the patties in the fryer, we ate them with seasoned salt, and we even brought in lettuce and tomatoes. BTW a White Cackle with tomato and mayo almost becomes a gourmet burger...

Here's a bit of Castle history. Did you know White Castle hamburgers tasted slightly different in the 60's? There used to be a 1lb secret "spice packet" added to the dehydrated onion bucket while they were re hydrating. Sometime in the 70's they did away with the spice packet and White Castles haven't tasted the same since.

Nearly Normal
05-18-2009, 06:51
So after all that you decided White Castle's rocks? :D

These days they both seem revolting.

vamelungeon
05-18-2009, 08:31
I have to say "Yuck!" to both.

freefall
05-18-2009, 08:39
Little comparison of the two:

http://laughingsquid.com/white-castle-vs-krystal-tiny-hamburgers-north-south/

mister krabs
05-18-2009, 08:51
Little comparison of the two:

http://laughingsquid.com/white-castle-vs-krystal-tiny-hamburgers-north-south/

Nice one, and there's a comment at the bottom that points out the key difference.

"A very important detail has been completely left out of the conversation (at least as much of it as I read):
White Castle = onions, pickle and KETCHUP
Krystal = onions, pickle and MUSTARD"

Mustard wins, hands down. Ketchup is for french fries and 6 year olds.

freefall
05-18-2009, 08:54
"A very important detail has been completely left out of the conversation (at least as much of it as I read):

Mustard RULEZ!:D

World-Wide
05-18-2009, 09:10
Nice one, and there's a comment at the bottom that points out the key difference.

Never have ketchup on my W.C.'s!! Pickle, onion and spicy mustard. Actually, never had a W.C. with ketchup! In Chicago, you'll get a slider with pickle and onion only. Have to request ketchup if you want it!

middle to middle
05-18-2009, 12:00
I stand corrected ! Probably all that hamburger grease blocking my arterys and synaps . It is lunch time and I feel deprived that I cannot have a greasy one now.

hoz
05-18-2009, 12:41
I agree, no ketchup, just mustard.

zelph
05-18-2009, 13:50

Mustard "and" Ketchup are required in Chicago. It's for people "in the know" ;)

dabjrnl
05-18-2009, 14:21
Gotta get your Rat Burgers from White Castle. Just steer clear of the Aqua Rats and Coop Rats. A side of tails will do just fine.

middle to middle
05-18-2009, 15:10
I must say the which beer is best thread should be combined into this one and then you have a more substantive debate. Which beer and berger combo is best late on saturday night.

Engine
05-18-2009, 15:13
I must say the which beer is best thread should be combined into this one and then you have a more substantive debate. Which beer and berger combo is best late on saturday night.

A nice home grilled angus burger with Montreal steak seasoning, onions, mushrooms, tomato, a tad of lettuce, extra sharp cheddar, spicy mustard and a GUINNESS!!! Wow, Saturday can't get here soon enough...it must be Saturday somewhere. :D

Erin
05-18-2009, 23:40
What a memory. We used to go to the Krystal's in Nashville for the belly bombers when I was young. I never had White Castle until driving through St. Louis. I had one. Sober. I like grease and it tasted fine but I had to pull out the Rolaids. But the people here love them. Anyone going near St.Louis is usally roped into grabbing a sack for someone. They go in the trunk because they stink.

BitBucket
05-18-2009, 23:54
I once ate 14 Krystals as a hungry kid...just about didn't keep them down....

most i can eat now is about 4....

World-Wide
05-19-2009, 04:21
A nice home grilled angus burger with Montreal steak seasoning, onions, mushrooms, tomato, a tad of lettuce, extra sharp cheddar, spicy mustard and a GUINNESS!!! Wow, Saturday can't get here soon enough...it must be Saturday somewhere. :D

Sounds tasty! :) But in a pinch (translation: After hitting the bars on Archer Avenue in Chicago) there's nothing like several W.C.'s to curb the appetite! Pay for it in the morning though! ;)

stumpy
05-19-2009, 08:03
I love me some Krystal's. I like to refer to them as skillet scabs!!!!! Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!!!!!!!

Gray Blazer
05-19-2009, 08:12

I think it's time for a FL White Blaze get together hosted by Engine. Yum Yum!

Engine
05-19-2009, 08:43
I think it's time for a FL White Blaze get together hosted by Engine. Yum Yum!

Come on down this Saturday, it's not too far for you! :)

Sleeps_With_Skunks
05-19-2009, 09:49
In west Nashville, TN...there is a Krystal and a white castle across from each other. Krystals always has more business cause the white castles are too greasy.

hoz
05-19-2009, 09:58
Chuck Norris eats White Castles, and ****es Krystals

hoz
05-19-2009, 09:59
Well it won't take ****es, how about defecates???

makoboy
05-19-2009, 10:12
I dont know of there are any in trail towns, but Five Guys has the best burgers and fries in the world.

World-Wide
05-19-2009, 10:20
Chuck Norris eats White Castles, and ****es Krystals

Nice!! :D Should throw that one on the Chuck Norris thread that's going on! ;)

World-Wide
05-20-2009, 08:31
Been overseas the last 5 years and this can only be a rumor, but after talking to my family back in Chicago, Krystal's is in the works of selling thier operations to White Castle's? Economy not only touching the automotive sector, but perhaps the food industry also. Can't confirm the authensicity, but after eating at both establishments, I can't say I'm surprised! Have you heard anything??

MOWGLI
05-20-2009, 08:37
If you you were unfortunate enough to be walking the plank (I'm Air Force and don't know why I'm using a Navy scenario?:confused:) and the skipper (Captain/Admiral) said "Your last meal will be take-out from White Castle or Krystal," what would you choose? :-?

To go hungry.

Hooch
05-20-2009, 08:41
If I had to choose between Krystal and White Castle, I'd say that Krystal is what White Castle hopes to be one day when it grows up. Personally, I prefer homemade sliders, but that's just me.

MOWGLI
05-20-2009, 08:46
If I had to choose between Krystal and White Castle, I'd say that Krystal is what White Castle hopes to be one day when it grows up.

Get your facts straight and respect your elders! White Castle is the oldest hamburger chain in America.

They still suck. They don't call 'em "belly bombers" for no reason.

World-Wide
05-20-2009, 08:50
To go hungry.

You're walking the plank!! Shark food for sure! :D

Hooch
05-20-2009, 08:53
Get your facts straight and respect your elders! White Castle is the oldest hamburger chain in America. Yeah, yeah, established in 1921, blah, blah, blah. We know. Krystal is still better.

MOWGLI
05-20-2009, 09:21
Yeah, yeah, established in 1921, blah, blah, blah. We know. Krystal is still better.

If I took a coyote turd, slathered it in grease and onions and slapped it between some sorry excuse for a hamburger bun, I bet you couldn't tell the difference. :p

Real men eat real hamburgers (http://www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx)! :banana

Hooch
05-20-2009, 09:25
Negative, Ghostrider. The pattern is full. While Five guys does have a good burger, it can't be considered a really good burger in these parts if it doesn't have chili and slaw on it. Neither of which five guys has.

MOWGLI
05-20-2009, 09:27
Negative, Ghostrider. The pattern is full. While Five guys does have a good burger, it can't be considered a really good burger in these parts if it doesn't have chili and slaw on it. Neither of which five guys has.

Chili and slaw is for hot dogs. BBQ is what you do in your backyard on a grill. And Krystal still sucks.

Any questions? :welcome

Hooch
05-20-2009, 09:30
Chili and slaw is for hot dogs. BBQ is what you do in your backyard on a grill.

Only reason I'm letting that slide is because you're a yankee and don't know any better. :rolleyes::p:D

snowhoe
05-20-2009, 09:33
I dont know of there are any in trail towns, but Five Guys has the best burgers and fries in the world.

Do you really think so? They just built one here and I thought that I would try them so we loaded up the fam and went down. The line was out the door. Let me tell you with 3 kids this is not a good thing. We waited and I will have to say they were just ok. They were not very flavorable. I thought, but my little boy liked the peanuts. I am a fuddruckers fan. (whoa watch the spelling on that)

Gumbi
05-20-2009, 09:39
The thought of eating at either white castle or krystals is enough to make me gag! Seriously, find a gas station and raid their snickers bars or donuts, you'll be much better off!

Groucho
05-20-2009, 12:13

Don't forget the onions and mustard-Carolina burger (all-the-way). Wendy's has a good approximation, but you really need the griddle-pressed bun for authenticity.

Engine
05-20-2009, 12:15

We have a Five Guys about 20 minutes away and I like their food, but after all the hype, I was a bit let down as well.

Gray Blazer
05-20-2009, 12:22
If I took a coyote turd, slathered it in grease and onions and slapped it between some sorry excuse for a hamburger bun, I bet you couldn't tell the difference. :p

Real men eat real hamburgers (http://www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx)! :banana
Have you been borrowing recipes from the cafeteria ladies again?

:D

MOWGLI
05-20-2009, 12:25
I like dijon mustard on my medium well burger (for real!) And mayo. High fructose corn syrup laden ketchup is for weenies.

Hooch
05-20-2009, 12:44
High fructose corn syrup laden ketchup is for weenies.And 6 year olds. :D

hoz
05-20-2009, 14:14
Rally's Big Buford is every bit as good as Five Guys Burger. But neither as as distinctive as the little square burger with 5 holes.

MOWGLI
05-20-2009, 14:29
But neither as as distinctive as the little square burger with 5 holes.

The holes are the best part of those burgers. :p

I hope you all know I'm just kidding. Sort of.