PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: West Mombasha Road--NY 17

dperry
05-16-2009, 12:47
Sometime over Memorial Day, the wife and I are probably going to take a day hike between West Mombasha Road and the Elk Pen parking area just off NY 17. Any information anyone could provide on this stretch would be greatly appreciated, including:

a.) Are we going to get eaten alive by bugs?
b.) How bad is Agony Grind coming down, anyway?

Thanks,

tiptoe
05-16-2009, 20:23
I hiked there a couple of years ago (southbound). I went up Agony Grind, not down, and it wasn't that bad. There were even people running down it, but I wouldn't recommend that. Just take your time; you'll be fine. Water was so scarce (I hiked in July) that hikers had to rely on water left at trailheads by angels. You probably won't have that problem. If memory serves, there is water in that stretch, but I'd check a guidebook if I were you. Or check here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=340867

bullseye
05-16-2009, 21:36
I did that section in May of 2004 and the gnats were insane. If you kept moving it was ok, but rest stops were pretty bad. Agony Grind is steep, but it's over in no time. Just take your time. Don't count on water in the stretch your doing.

sasquatch2014
05-17-2009, 08:02
Neat area I like the hike along the ledge just north of the West Mombasha Rd area, great views at least what I saw it was starting to sleet, which was a bit of a change from the really cold rain. The climb up Bucannon Mt is a bit tough as it's steep and there is a big tree half way up that you have to almost crawl under. Another great view spot from the top of this looking East or Trail North into the Harriman State Park area. You can filter water down at Little Dam Pond. Agony Grind is just another steep rocky climb or descent we have a lot of those in this area. Take your time if it is wet so you don't slip and it will be over before you know it. Watch it crossing Rt 17A cars are really flying through there.