PDA

View Full Version : Backpack mistake?

MadManFuManChu
05-16-2009, 19:43
Hey all, I'm brand new to the forum and AT hiking, but am looking forward to start sectioning it this summer.

Four friends and I are looking to tackle a NOBO hike of the 100 mile wilderness in September. My brother and I have started our search for gear and today I thought I found a great deal on a backpack - High Sierra's Long Trail 90. The store had 50% off signs all over and this was MSRP at $259.99 and marked down to $129.99. Now I see that you can get it online around $130 all day long.

Long story short, I put it in layaway worrying that it might sell out from under me. Now, after doing some research it seems that 90 liters might be overkill and the pack is for a larger individual. I am only 5'8'' and 230.

Just looking for some opinions on the pack - will it be fine or should I get my money back and go for something else. What say ye?

Engine
05-16-2009, 19:53
First, let me say :welcome !

As for the pack, I would say that a 90 is going to be too large. The problem with too much room is that it invites you to carry too much. Also, many packs don't fit well if not packed at near capacity. The majority of section and thru hikers are probably using packs between 40 and 65 liters capacity, depending on gear and season.

I hope you enjoy WB and hiking for a LONG time.

johnnybgood
05-16-2009, 20:55
Welcome to WhiteBlaze . I just finished a 100 mile section ,same as your planning on doing , with a 40 liter pack that made for some tight packing but I did manage to take only what I really needed.

Go to an Outfitter and have them fit you with a backpack that is the right size for you and then pack your gear in it to get a feel for the weight you'll be carrying.

McKeever
05-17-2009, 12:41
Not to discourage you and to say the least, your group should consider an overnight test section hike other than the 100 mile wilderness being new to backpacking, unconditioned, and with new gear that has not been taken on a test hike to find out what works best for you.

Maybe you can also find someone to go with you that has some AT miles on their feet in addition to the help you will find here to fast tract you onto the AT.

bigcranky
05-17-2009, 13:27
My first reaction is yes, the pack is probably too large.

My second reaction mirrors what McKeever said, but I didn't want to sound like your dad <grin>. The Hundred Mile Wilderness would be quite an undertaking for a first serious backpacking trip. Not telling you what to do, but if it were me (or my kids), I would suggest doing the 100 miles south of Monson, not north.

Toolshed
05-17-2009, 17:54
I think high Sierra is probably very low end backpacking gear. Keep Looking

Pacific Tortuga
05-17-2009, 17:57
:welcome , as a pack snob I would go with a ULA (made in the US of A)

JokerJersey
05-17-2009, 19:32
I bought a High Seirra Sentinel 65 as my first civilian backpacking pack about a month ago. I've put about 30 miles on it so far and while I like some of the features on it, I've already decided I'll be using a different brand when I start doing long distance hikes.

For shorter trips, I have no problem using it, but it's a bit on the heavy side, the construction isn't fabulous, and the built in rain cover isn't waterproof (not sure what the point of that is).

On a more positive note, the bag is comfortable for larger framed guys. I have a bit of extra weight on me and the extra padding/longer straps are a nice thing for me. I've packed about 30-35lbs in it for roughly 30-35 miles so far, broken up in 8-10 mile days. It doesn't give me any back trouble, it sits comfortably on me, but it still weighs too much.

As for the Long Trail 90, I'll just tell you the same thing I read in the THP....

If you get a big pack, you'll fill it. If you get a small pack, you'll fill it - but you'll take what you need rather than what you want.

I personally think a 90 is too big, but I don't have to carry it. :D

JokerJersey
05-17-2009, 19:38
Actually, if you want to read the Thru-hiking Papers, here's the direct link to the page talking about gear choices.

http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20gear.html

It's one of the main things that helped me make the choice between the 90 and the 65 liter packs. The only thing mistake I think I made there was on brand selection and that is mainly chalked up to inexperience and being a bit too over-zealous. At least I only spent $105 on it and can get some use out of it before I need to get another, more serious pack. Hope this helps.

bullseye
05-17-2009, 20:24
90L is a lot of pack as others have said. My advice for you would be to make you other major gear purchases first (sleeping bag, tent, etc), and then find a pack that everything fits in. Don't be afraid to haul your gear to an outfitter and give it a test fit. If it's your first time buying a pack you'll be glad you did.

Bearpaw
05-17-2009, 20:38

Go with the ULA pack because it is one of the finest made packs for long-distance hiking on the market. The fact that it is made in Utah is gravy.

It is WELL worth the chance you take of ordering it online. ULA Packs (http://www.ula-equipment.com/)

Blissful
05-17-2009, 20:55
Get your gear first then pack last.

take-a-knee
05-17-2009, 21:08

Ditto, get a ULA Catalyst, ULA's largest pack. It will likely care more than you really need but only weighs 46oz. If you decide you can use a smaller pack, keep the Catalyst for winter and order a ULA Circuit.

Gaiter
05-17-2009, 21:28

ditto

who knows maybe he likes carrying so much gear that he could have the perfect size pack.....

jcramin
05-18-2009, 11:19
I have this pack because I need a large pack to carry extra stuff for the kids. BUT I also have to say you better have a LARGE WAIST for the waist belt. I have a 34" waist and the belt goes almost all the way around me and it digs into my upper leg every time I take a step.

J

MadManFuManChu
05-18-2009, 18:20
Thanks for all the help and replies.
I went into Moosejaw here in Birmingham, Michigan and was fitted today. The people there were a great help and invested a lot of time to help me.
We are planning several 2 and 3 day trips before we head out this fall to try out our gear.
I appreciate the warm welcome and advice. Thanks again.

Tinker
05-18-2009, 21:22

Wisdom speaks. If your pack is bigger than you need, you'll be sure to find just a few more comfort items to bring. :rolleyes: