PDA

View Full Version : Must-sees/stops on the AT?

atsent
05-16-2009, 21:28
What are you favorite restaurants, hostels, curiosities to stop at on the AT? I'm doing a SOBO this year and want to mark off all the best spots in my guidebook so I make sure I don't miss out on great AT lore.

I'm thinking things like White House Landing, the 1/2 gallon challenge, etc.

Thanks! :sun

Kerosene
05-16-2009, 22:25
Inn at Long Trail (http://www.innatlongtrail.com/), Killington, VT; try to catch one of the live Irish bands and try the Long Trail Ale

Bascom Lodge (http://www.naturesclassroom.org/nc_bascom.htm) at the summit of Mt. Greylock, MA (always wanted to stay there)

Graymoor Monastery (http://www.aldha.org/graymoor.htm), just north of Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson River

Secret Shelter, just north of Unionville, NY

Palmerton Jailhouse Hostel (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=822789), Palmerton, PA

Washington Monument (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/washington.html), Boonesboro, MD

Gathland State Park (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/gathland.html), just north of Harpers Ferry

ATC Headquarters, Harpers Ferry

Bears Den Hostel (http://www.bearsdencenter.org/accommodations.html), Bluemont, VA

Spy Rock (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=spy+rock+va&aq=0&oq=spy+rock+), Virginia (take the time to climb to the top for the view)

Lazy Fox Inn (http://www.lazyfoxinn.com/), Damascus, VA

Virginia Creeper Trail Biking (http://www.creepertrailbikerental-shuttle.com/damascus_virginia/damascus_virginia.html), Damascus

Braemar Castle Hostel, Hampton, TN

Kincora Hiking Hostel (3-4 hours north of Hampton by the AT, plus 0.25 mile right)

Mountain Harbour Hostel (http://appalachianpages.com/index.php?pageid=hostels), US-19E, Roan Mountain, TN

That should take you through about October!

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2009, 22:34
Cabella's - Port Clinton

The Pinnicle just a little north of Port Clinton.

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 08:28
Maria's in Salisbury, CT. 80 yr great, remarkable lady. Saw more wildlife in her backyard,(resident fox) than on the ct trail. She'll drive you to the italian restaurant where you can wash/dry while you eat.

saimyoji
05-17-2009, 08:51
Cabella's - Port Clinton

The Pinnicle just a little north of Port Clinton.

Despite the local illiterati, its Pinnacle.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12785&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=3920&cutoffdate=-1

fiddlehead
05-17-2009, 10:25
Sugarloaf mountain summit (about 1/2 mile off trail)(great views and a 360 summit building that you used to be able to sleep in, i don't think that's allowed anymore though)

Same with Mount Rogers in VA (the peak isn't official trail but not far away, although not much to see up there, it is the highest point in VA)

ATC headquarters in Harper's Ferry WV. (try to hit that part of the trail when they'd be open)

Knife edge if the weather's nice (a different approach trail than the AT on Katahdin)

Library at Darmouth in Concord, NH

Camp David in MD (near the trail) (Oh, they don't let you visit there anymore??) (sorry)

Doyle Hotel in Duncannon PA

Jail in Palmerton PA (Someone already mentioned)

Nuclear lake in NY (don't drink the water)

The two below would be difficult to get to without transportation but are both world renown and close to the trail and good tours:
Harley Davidson factory is not far from the trail in York, PA
Martin guitar factory is not far either in Allentown PA (not far from Lehigh Gap)

There's tons more but don't forget the trail is the real beauty out there, not the hotels and restaurants in town.

Bearpaw
05-17-2009, 11:12
Stop by Tom Levardi's place (83 Depot St in Dalton, MA). Friendly spot with tenting allowed in the back yard. A fun town stop.

McAffee Knob in Virginia.

Mt. Cammerer in the Smokies. 1.2-mile, mostly level side trip. If the weather is good the views and the old stone firetower are well worth it.

Sunrise from Clingman's Dome (if the weather is cooperating, it's worth getting up early and hiking the 3 1/2 miles from Mt. Collins in the dark).

Again in the Smokies, and if weather is cooperating, take the short steep trail up to Shuckstack firetower for a fantastic view down to Fontana Lake and the Dam.

Head into Franklin, NC. One of the friendliest towns on the trail. Ron Haven of the Budget and Sapphire Inns is a hiker himself and VERY hiker friendly. His willingness to shuttle back to the trail and around town makes Franklin to true rest stop, not just a resupply.

Cookerhiker
05-17-2009, 11:51
Some others which have not been mentioned:

A short distance down Rt. 5 after crossing the CT river into VT is the King Arthur baking company where you can find all kinds of relatively-healthy baked goods.

The Port Clinton Hotel in PA - the "small" order of French Fries is humongous.

Shenadoah NP has numerous waterfalls on side trails down from the AT. Check out White Oak Canyon, Dark Hollow, and South River among others.
Also in SNP, take the short side trail up Hawksbill, the highest point in the Park.

Want a break from hiking to do some paddling? There are outfitters near where the Trail crosses the Delaware and in HF where you can paddle day trips or more on either the Potomac or Shenandoah. And further south there's the Nolichucky and the Nantahala but their seasons may be finished by time you get there.

atsent
05-17-2009, 13:49
These are great suggestions! Thanks!

Blissful
05-17-2009, 20:39
Shaws in Monson, good food and stay
If the Cabin reopens, The Cabin in ME
Zero in Gorham (Gorham is my fav trail town)
Zero in Hanover (neat place)
Cookie man and lady in MA, nice people :)
Upper Goose Pond Cabin (they had pancakes for us there)
Delis in NY. Hikers talk of going into NYC from here (we didn't happen to)
Not sure why someone mentioned Graymoor in NY? We had truckers in there partying till 2 AM and some drifter hanging out. Maybe it's better now, but I wouldnt stop there again, imo.
Ditto on Palmerton, PA and the hostel, nice town and people
Take a zero at Pine Grove to see Gettysburg, PA. Skip the ice cream challenge unless you are very very healthy :)
ATC Headquarters
Bears Den hostel
Chinese Restaurant in Waynesboro and Rockfish Gap Outfitters (super guys)
Go off trail to see Spy Rock and Crabtree Falls
Homeplace Restaurant, Catawba
Dismal Falls in VA was nice
Damascus (of course)
Kincora - Bob is the best
Holiday Inn at Erwin was great
zero in Franklin, TN - Ron is great

warraghiyagey
05-17-2009, 21:25
Shaw's - Monson. . .:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun

Jack - Straw
05-18-2009, 17:28
Anyone mention Standing Bear Farm??? Absolute great time. Curtis was a great host! Stopped there this year, didn't plan on a zero but it sucks you in! http://www.standingbearfarm.com/

emerald
05-18-2009, 17:59
Don't forget the trail is the real beauty out there, not the hotels and restaurants in town.

That's what I was thinking even if the opening post may have put more emphasis on the type of information provided by others.

When I hiked from Springer to Katahdin, I thought it strange just how much time some hikers seemed to spend contemplating their evening meal. They could have thought about what they might eat for dinner at home.

Since I contented myself with but a few alternatives and those were dictated to a considerable extent by how much time was required to prepared them, I was free to spend more time thinking about other things including my surroundings.

This is not the first time someone has observed more attention seems to be devoted to services than the AT itself.

Bearpaw
05-18-2009, 18:42
Services, hostels, and towns are a big part of the AT experience. If the trail itself were the only aspect of a hike, far fewer people would hike the AT, instead enjoying the views and grandeur of the PCT or CDT.

Shelters, towns, and the other hikers are all a part of what makes the AT a unique experience.

emerald
05-18-2009, 19:36
Shelters, towns, and the other hikers are all a part of what makes the AT a unique experience.

Shelters served as landmarks and a convenient place to sleep, towns were where I resupplied, called home and discovered regional cultural differences. Other hikers, well, some of them were little more than noise which may have caused me to appreciate some of the remainder more.

My memory of yellow lady's slippers at anthesis on Walker Mountain almost 29 years ago affected me more than lodgings, food or drink anyone with a few dollars might have bought. I wonder how many will walk right by yellow lady's slippers if any still remain in their haste to reach a store before it closes only to see if they can down and keep down a half gallon of ice cream.

I'm doubtful I'll ever hike from Georgia to Maine again. Had I the desire, I'd consider carrying only an A.T. Data Book and maps so as to not be distracted by non-essential details, but for those who desire to add this dimension, details about things created by the hand of man are only a few clicks away. I never cease to be amazed how quickly most things created by man are abandoned and fade into the landscape.

fiddlehead
05-18-2009, 21:23
Shelters served as landmarks and a convenient place to sleep, towns were where I resupplied, called home and discovered regional cultural differences. Other hikers, well, some of them were little more than noise which may have caused me to appreciate some of the remainder more.

My memory of yellow lady's slippers at anthesis on Walker Mountain almost 29 years ago affected me more than lodgings, food or drink anyone with a few dollars might have bought. I wonder how many will walk right by yellow lady slippers if any still remain in their haste to reach a supermarket before it closes only to see if they can down and keep down a half gallon of generic ice cream.

I'm doubtful I'll ever hike from Georgia to Maine again. Had I the desire, I'd consider carrying only an A.T. Data Book and maps so as to not be distracted by non-essential details, but for those who desire to add this dimension, details about things created by the hand of man are only a few clicks away. I never cease to be amazed how quickly most things created by man are abandoned and fade into the landscape.

So true in many different aspect of travel.
I think first time travellers tend to long for towns and the amenities found there.
The more you travel (meaning you LIKE to do it), the more you look for the lady slippers vs. the fast food restaurants.
Even here in Thailand, i see so many travellers with their nose in their Lonely Planet Guide. All staying at the same places and taking the same buses, skipping the real Thailand that lies in between.

Once in a while, i'll see someone doing Thailand on a bicycle or a motorcycle or car and discovering the real people, geography and culture.

There are sheeple in all walks of the travel game.

puddingboy
05-18-2009, 21:29
What are you favorite restaurants, hostels, curiosities to stop at on the AT? I'm doing a SOBO this year and want to mark off all the best spots in my guidebook so I make sure I don't miss out on great AT lore.

I'm thinking things like White House Landing, the 1/2 gallon challenge, etc.

Thanks! :sun

Whats the 1/2 gallon challenge, is that like 1/2 gallon of milk?

puddingboy
05-18-2009, 21:29
opps drinking 1/2 gallon of milk

Ox97GaMe
05-18-2009, 22:21
One on my top 10 list is the Blueberry Patch in Hiawassee GA. But, most SOBOs miss out on that one because they arent open in the fall. IF you happen to extend your hike through the winter, they open in March. Gary and Lenny are similar to Bob (and formerly Pat) from Kincora hostel. Folks like that are hard to find anywhere.

emerald
05-18-2009, 22:23
Ice cream, pb. Pine Grove Furnace State Park, Pennsylvania.

Click take me back to 2006 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=238533&postcount=2) for a post of mine linking a trailjournals.com entry and photos.

Doc
05-19-2009, 06:08
I would add the Outhouse in Unionville, N.Y. formerly known as the Mayor's House. The folks there are the best. This year the secret shelter apparently is not operating, making Unionville even more attractive.

modiyooch
05-19-2009, 08:37
I consider my hike through easter NY a deli hike. Although, I carried food for 75 miles, each morning we managed to cross a road and hike within a mile to the closest deli for coffee and breakfast. oh the memories.

Grampie
05-19-2009, 08:41
I just have to put a plug in for the cabin at Upper Goose Pond. Such a great stop. It's a inclosed cabin with a nice front porch, sleeping quaters on the second floor with nice bunks with matresses. On most mornings the resident caretaker will make pancakes and coffee for you.
It's located on a beautiful pond with swimming and a canoe.
The bad part is that it's .5 from the trail but the good part is that they don't charge you anything to stay.

Tinker
05-19-2009, 09:06
I consider my hike through easter NY a deli hike. Although, I carried food for 75 miles, each morning we managed to cross a road and hike within a mile to the closest deli for coffee and breakfast. oh the memories.

That's eastern New York (missed a keystroke:sun).
Yes, the terminology is already being applied to that section (I'm currently doing my sections there), and it is very fitting. It would be easy to hike with only snacks in your pack, stopping at a deli for lunch and picking up a big sandwich for dinner. Not very cost effective, though :rolleyes:.

Tinker
05-19-2009, 09:08
I just have to put a plug in for the cabin at Upper Goose Pond. Such a great stop. It's a inclosed cabin with a nice front porch, sleeping quaters on the second floor with nice bunks with matresses. On most mornings the resident caretaker will make pancakes and coffee for you.
It's located on a beautiful pond with swimming and a canoe.
The bad part is that it's .5 from the trail but the good part is that they don't charge you anything to stay.

It's a very easy .5 from the AT, much as Whitehouse Landing's side trail is, but even easier. Nice porch on cabin with a loft for sleeping. Very nice, though I used my hammock out back there.

callook66
06-05-2009, 06:57
you should probably just get off the trail and go to asheville, nc for several days and brewpub it up!!

Jeff
06-05-2009, 10:42
Climbing every firetower (still standing:)). Regret not hiking the sidetrail to the Shuckstack firetower.

Jaybird
06-05-2009, 10:48
Ice cream, pb. Pine Grove Furnace State Park, Pennsylvania.

Click take me back to 2006 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=238533&postcount=2) for a post of mine linking a trailjournals.com entry and photos.

Hey ATSENT,

Hopefully the grocery store @ PINE FURNACE will be OPEN when you hike thru for the 1/2 GALLON CHALLENGE...it wasnt OPEN in MAY...:D

LOTS of "EARLYBIRDS" were PISSSSSSSED!

ALSO...if you're looking for a place to crash & get away from the TRAIL for a NIGHT or two (or more) a new "HIKER FRIENDLY" B&B just outside BOILING SPRINGS has just opened...RED CARDINAL B&B...good people.

Serial 07
06-05-2009, 12:30
let's see...

the bird cage in daulton, ma
caratunk, me has a brewery and hot tub combo!
unionville, ny
mt. rogers
mt. camerrer in the smokies
yeungling brewery tour if you can get to it from port clinton
dot's inn, damascus
i blue blazed down from the bigelows to flagstaff lake in maine and it was AWESOME!
i liked bennington, ct
great barrington, ma is nice
dragon's tooth
definitely check out the spring in boiling springs, pa

there are others...i can't think of them all...do everything and anything and you will not be disappointed...have fun!

takethisbread
10-31-2009, 15:06
My limitted 300 miles or so, but so my favorite spot was the crossing into ny from nj, on those rocks for 3 or 4 miles, very challenging, but very beautiful. Some good scrambles.
Upper goose pond cabin was also a highlight for me. I might try to hook up the game supper on top of greylock if I ever go that way again.

My least favorite was st johns ledges, it took too long to descend and I was tired.

Ramble~On
10-31-2009, 17:48
I'll second what's been mentioned and add.

Wood's Hole, Rusty's, Greasy Creek Friendly, The Doyle, The Barn in Gorham and just about every blue blaze along the way...

Zero's are sweet and give your body a chance to rest but if you plan them out with a group of hiking buddies a day or two before you hit town you can have all sorts of fun. If everybody chips in...you can split a shuttle or rent a car..There are all sorts of side trips close to the AT.
Zero days doing nothing in town are nice..and most of the towns have things to see and do.

pafarmboy
10-31-2009, 21:01
Unless I missed it.....

Noone put down Elmer's in Hot Springs? Must stop.

Tinker
10-31-2009, 22:40
Any pond in Maine for swimming, too. The Kettles at Little Bigelow Shelter (pools in a nearby stream) are very interesting and refreshing, too. Don't rush through Maine to finish. I met thruhikers who were so focused on finishing that they rushed by many fine campsites just to make miles. The former Antlers campsite was a wonderful spot in the Hundred Mile Wilderness.
Cooper Brook Falls is another place (I would've stayed there but it was pretty full - wonderful swimming pool in the stream right in front of the shelter. Dive in off the rocks. Cool!

mrhughes1982
11-02-2009, 20:38
Can anyone give me a appoximate location to the Blue Blaze Trail down to Crabtree Falls? Maybe what Shelters this trail is between.

Thanky

Jack Tarlin
11-02-2009, 20:43
I would add Hanover, NH as one of the must-see, must-stop places on the Trail.

After all, everyone agrees on how friendly a place it is!! :D

Jeff
11-03-2009, 08:11
Can anyone give me a appoximate location to the Blue Blaze Trail down to Crabtree Falls? Maybe what Shelters this trail is between.

Thanky

Check with the folks at Dutch Haus. Here is their website:

http://www.dutchhaus.com/atthru.htm

waldick
11-04-2009, 23:17
Blood Mountain Shelter on the summit of Blood Mountain, Ga

J5man
11-04-2009, 23:55
The Homestead Restaurant for dinner of course! Hwy 311 in VA between McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth. Plus you can camp in their yard after you have eaten so much that you can't walk back to the trail. Only open Thur-Sun.

DawnTreader
11-04-2009, 23:59
Gulf Hagas- Maine

ChinMusic
11-05-2009, 00:02
Blood Mountain Shelter on the summit of Blood Mountain, Ga
Kinda hard to miss that one unless you blue blaze via Freeman.....:D

waldick
11-06-2009, 00:36
Kinda hard to miss that one unless you blue blaze via Freeman.....:D

or the fog is so thick that you almost walk right by...:confused:

in which case the view is not that great :-?

Pickleodeon
11-18-2009, 16:30
"Mt. Cammerer in the Smokies. 1.2-mile, mostly level side trip. If the weather is good the views and the old stone firetower are well worth it."

I agree!! I did not want to walk the .6 to the tower, but it was one of the best views I had. Right before leaving the Smokies. Gorgeous. Not a lot of people want to take the extra walk, but it's worth it.

DEHiker
11-18-2009, 18:23
The best meal I've had on the trail was at the Old South Mountain Inn in Marlyland (adjacent to Dahlgren campground). It's a little pricey but well worth it. Second best was the Home Place in Catawba, Va.

fredmugs
11-30-2009, 09:51
In SOBO order.....

The deli at Unionville
The church in Vernon, NJ. Great shower, laundry, and plenty of restaurants.
The Doyle. Cheesesteak, fries, and Yuengling.
Blackberry shakes in SNP
The Dutch Haus
McAfee Knob - especially if you get there during peak color season. And of course The Homeplace after you reach the bottom.

Grampie
11-30-2009, 15:37
Before I did my thru in 2001 I purchased the Thru-Hiker's Handbook by Wingfoot.
I spent a lot of time reading it from front to back. Every mile of the way he describes places of interest and special places and towns along the trail.
When I started to hike I had visions, in my head, of the places he described and couldn't wait to give them a visit. They included:Neels Gap Walasi-Yi Center, Goose Creak Cabins, Blueberry Patch, Albert Mt. Fire tower, Siler Bald, Fontana Hilton, Newfound Gap, Gatlinberg, Standing Bear Farm, Max Patch, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Spa for a hot tub, Shelton Graves, Big Bald, Uncle Jonney's, Roan Highlands, Overmountain Shelter, Elk Park, Times Squair Motel, Laural Creek Campgrounds, Watauga Dam, Grindstaff Monument, Damascus, The Place, Trail Days, Thomas Knob Shelter, Grayson Highlands, Wild Poneys, Partnership Shelter, Village Motel, Adkins, Bland, Angles Rest, Pearisburg, Rendezous Motel, The New River Bridge, Keffer Oak, Saver Cabin, Dragons Tooth, Catawba, Four Pines Hostel, McAfee Knob, Tinker Clifs, Dalevill, Apple Orchard Mt., Glascow, Write Place Motel, Punchbole Shelter, Pedlar Dam, Spy Rock, Rusty's, Waynsbora "Y", Weasie's Kitchen, Shenandoah park, Loft Mountain Campgroung, Big Meadow, Blueberry Milkshakes Mary"s Rock, Elkhallow Wayside, $1.50 beers, Front Royal, National Zoo Park, Jim & Molly Denton Shelter, Dick's Dome, Bear's Den Rocks, Blackburn Center, Harpers Ferry, AT Headquaters for picture, C&O Canal Ed Grvey Shelter, Gathland Park, Weverton Cliffs, Dahlgren Backpackers Camping Area, Washington Monument, Pen Mar Park, Mason-Dixon Line, Caledonia Park, Pine Grove Park, Iron Masters Hostel, 1/2 Gal Ice cream, Halfway Point, White Rock Ridge, Boiling Spring, Duncannon, Doyle Hotel, 501 Shelter, Port Clinton Hotel, The Pinnacle, Lehigh Gap, Palmerton, Jail Hostel, Delaware water Gap, Church of the Mountain HostelSunfish Pond, Carvers Gap, Worthington Bakery, Jim Murrey Shelter, Wallkill Wildlife Area, Vernon, Podunk board walk, Arden, NY, Tuxedo Motel, Lemon Squeeze, Bear Mountain, Zoo, Hudson River, Graymoor Center, RPH Shelter, Nuclear Lake, AT railroad Station,Bulls Bridge, St. John's Ledges, Great Falls on the Houstonic River, Bear Mountain, Sages Revine, Great Barrington, Fruit stand on rt. 7, Upper Goose Pond Cabin, Cookie Lady, Dalton, Mt. Graylock, Bennington, VT, Stratton Mountain, Stratton Pond, Manchester, Bromley Ski Area, Whistle Stop Resturant on RT103, Inn at the Longtrail, Red Barn on Rt12, Conn. River, Hanover, NH, Smarts, Mt. firetower, Glencliff, Hikers Welcome, Mt. Moosilauke, N.Woodstock, Cascade Lodge, Franconia Ridge, Lake of the Clouds Hut, Mt. Washington, Madison Springs Hut, Gorham, NH , Hikers Paradise, Maine Border, Mahoosuc Notch, Andover Guest House, Rangeley, ME, Gull Pond Hostel, Sugarloaf Mt. ,Stratton Motel, Kennebec River, Shaws, 100 mile wilderness, White House Landing, Abol Bridge, Baxter Park and Katahdin.
I saw a lot and did a lot. Missed some nice places that I wished I had visited. I did not mention all the great people that I met and will long remember.

Jeff
11-30-2009, 16:00
Grampie,

You need to do another thruhike!!!!!

emerald
11-30-2009, 16:35
I'd take the time to visit Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, Deitsch Eck, and even Ned Smith Center, but realize each requires more effort to get there than the destination before it. Should you make the effort to visit Deitsch Eck, order yourself some shoofly pie. Most places out of the ordinary require venturing beyond the Interstate.

I'd also linger at Kimmel Lookout, Pilger Ruh, Schuberts Gap, Rentschler Marker, Reading and Northern's rail yard, Port Clinton Hotel and Dan's Pulpit all of which are right on or a few steps from the beaten path and offer a more meaningful experience to hikers who know something about the historical significance them.

ki0eh
11-30-2009, 17:22
I'd take the time to visit * * * even Ned Smith Center

Might have to explain this one. Although I do note they are having a Bigfoot Film Festival (http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=56) the same weekend as the PA Ruck - not exactly thru-hiker season.

southpaw95
11-30-2009, 17:39
The Homestead Restaurant for dinner of course! Hwy 311 in VA between McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth. Plus you can camp in their yard after you have eaten so much that you can't walk back to the trail. Only open Thur-Sun.

It's THE HOMEPLACE , not The Homestead.

emerald
11-30-2009, 17:44
Might have to explain this one. Although I do note they are having a Bigfoot Film Festival (http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=56) the same weekend as the PA Ruck - not exactly thru-hiker season.

Hadn't noticed that one on their schedule and I can't say I'd beg a ride for it. Guess they must have been trying to attract someone else.:-?:D

There's more often than not something going on that appeals to me.

Grampie
12-01-2009, 10:02
Grampie,

You need to do another thruhike!!!!!

Every now and than I do one...Only in my mind.:sun

hikemikehike
04-08-2011, 22:57
this is great topic. keep em coming!

Mountain Mike
04-08-2011, 23:38
Great thread!

Hoping to get back on AT for a while in GA & NC. Has anyone hiked to Brrasstown Bald from the AT? GA High Point. Looks like about 10 mile round trip

climber2377
04-09-2011, 01:03
i hiked north so i dont know what the places will be like when you go south... however i find myself talking about a few places more than others. here is about 1 per state.... Maine is AMAZING, breakfast at shaws in monson, the pizza place in Hanover NH, mountain meadow lodge VT, long trail inn bar (i wouldnt stay again) VT, Birdcage in dalton MA, vanessa's place in Salisbury CT, pizza and brew in Kent CT, (the mayors in unionville is closed) ice cream in Jersey's parlors, port clinton PA fire house, harpers ferry has soft serve ice cream, damascus is incredible, kinkora VA, mountain harbor roan TN, smokey mountain diner in hotsprings NC, blueberry patch hiawassee GA, hiker hostel 20m mark.

rickb
04-09-2011, 08:07
As a SOBO your timing might be perfect to visit here:

http://www.hawkmountain.org/Raptor_Migration.php#best%20dates

Sure you can see raptors from any ridge along the trail, but if you spend some time with the hawk watchers that will surely be out in September and October, I think one might have their eyes opened to a great deal of what they may have been missing.

Although you hardly ever here of a hiker stopping here, I think a quick detour to this art museum would be a fantastic detour in the middle of a thru hike.

http://www.clarkart.edu/

It is in the town of Williamstown, MA just before you climb up Mount Greylock. Their collection of French Impressionist paintings is spectacular, and would be a real trip to view after being in the woods for so many weeks, for some. In any event the museum is literally world-class.

Jeff
04-09-2011, 12:27
Also for SOBO's this year...The Gathering is in North Adams, MA October 7th thru 9th.

This year NOBO's coming off Katahdin at that time are encouraged to come to The Gathering as honored guests. The ATC will be there to award certificates and patches to those who just completed their 2000 mile hike.

http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm

waasj
04-06-2012, 10:29
Charlies Bunyon.

Sly
04-06-2012, 11:45
Any blueblaze or side to trail to a view (most are 0.5 mi or less) when the weather is right, is a must-see stop.

ATSeamstress
04-06-2012, 12:21
The best meal I've had on the trail was at the Old South Mountain Inn in Marlyland (adjacent to Dahlgren campground). It's a little pricey but well worth it. Second best was the Home Place in Catawba, Va.

I'll second this one.

d.o.c
04-06-2012, 13:08
woods hole near pearisburg Va

johnnybgood
04-07-2012, 10:30
While not exactly on the AT and not neccesarily a must see, President Hoover's Retreat in Shenandoah National Park is worth the blueblaze trail to see it.

Rapidan Camp is where Herbert Hoover and first lady came for relaxation during his days in the White House. President Hoover was an avid fisherman and enjoyed the great outdoors and immersing himself in nature and it's beauty. Hoover's Retreat has been designated a national historic landmark.

Of the three buildings still in existence, the Brown House is the only one that has been fully restored inside and outside.

The side trail leading to the camp starts from the AT at Milam Gap at mile 53, 3 miles south of Big Meadows. Take the Mill Prong Trail blueblaze trail for a 4 mile out-n-back hike to a piece of american history.

Airman
04-08-2012, 08:47
This is one of the reasons I prefer segment hiking over thru hiking. My time on the trail is precious. I want to see everything. I take pictures and don't want to miss the great landmarks and views. So I continue where I left off and watch the weather to keep from missing views because of days of fog. I add my comments and pictures to my journal to pass to anyone who is interested especially my grandkids. I'm now moving into NC, so happy hiking. Leaving Thursday from Dick's Creek to Fontana, Smokies will come later in the summer. Happy hiking

Grampie
04-08-2012, 10:01
One of the best stops on the AT, in my estimation, is the cabin at Upper Goose Pond. It offers; bunks in a closed cabin, pancake and coffee breakfast, beautiful pond to swim in, spring water delivered to you and a canoe for thru-hikers to use. Some hikers don't want to travel the .5 miles off the trail to get to the cabin, but it's well worth it. The best part is that it's free. Donations are excepted.

Airman
04-11-2012, 09:32
Is there better scenery anywhere than Blood Mtn in Ga. It is absolutely beautiful on a nice day.

Patton
05-28-2012, 22:55
There is a section in the southern half of the GSMNP...I think Gregory Bald that I feel puts Blood Mt at the bottom of the heap for views...not to mention the Whites and various other locations. The trail is loaded with great vistas

Deco
06-01-2012, 10:19
On my southern section hike, GA to VA I caught a ride to Mt Mitchel in Pisgah National Forest, NC. Highest point on the east coast also it is near Asheville, NC, great town. I also second the Mt. Rogers recommendation.

trovar
10-21-2012, 04:17
Levardi's, Upper Goose Pond, Green Mountain Hostel, and White Mountains Lodge & Hostel.