PDA

View Full Version : Mount.Washington

Alaskanhkr23
05-16-2009, 21:47
Other than weather wise anything you guys can tell me about hiking/climbing? it

Alaskanhkr23
05-16-2009, 21:50
I mean from personal Exp. not things i can look up..

npoles91
05-16-2009, 22:43
I did it a while ago...but it didn't strike me as anything special. It didn't seem very tough and the hut (or should i say "mall") at the top was pretty much a buzz kill...you bust your butt getting to the top and then you look across the way and there's a group of people who haven't dropped a bead of sweat hopping off the Cogg Railway. The summit was kind of like a giant picnic area that just about anyone can get too. Personally, i like a quiet atmosphere that makes me feel at least a bit separated from society. The hike itself wasn't very interesting either...it got really repetitive and straight forward. It's nice to get to the highest point on the east coast and all but, for me, it didn't feel like much of an accomplishment probably because of the touristy atmosphere at the summit.

I wouldn't say it's not worth it but I'd recommend another mountain in the presidential range first (but that's just me). Personally (and i stress "personally") it's something you'd wanna do "just to have done it" but I wouldn't expect anything crazy.

Bearpaw
05-16-2009, 22:51
If the weather is foul, consider changing your route and going lower. Otherwise, it's very straightforward. Enjoy the snack bar at the top, snap a picture on the little pile of rocks signed as the official summit, and move on. Avoid the traffic from the parking lot and the cog railway on your way out.

And if you want to climb the highest mountain east of the Mississippi, head to Mount Mitchell, NC. It too has a road all the way to the top.

For the highest mountain on the AT, hit the TN/NC border in GSMNP at Clingman's Dome. There's no road to the top, just a paved 1/2-mile walkway down the the parking lot below.

Accept it. If it's a 6000-foot mountain in the east, somebody has probably paved the way to it.

zeal
05-16-2009, 23:02
try the huntington ravine trail if you are in decent shape. It's a lot more technical and a lot more fun than going up tucks.

The Mechanical Man
05-16-2009, 23:29
Other than weather wise anything you guys can tell me about hiking/climbing? it

YOU might die there.

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 23:42
YOU might die there.

Interesting stat posted on this site stated: In 1996 more people died on Mt Washington than on Mt Everest! Probably shouldn't under estimate the endeavor! :-?

Snowleopard
05-16-2009, 23:59
I agree with npoles91, try the other presidentials -- I really like Mt. Adams and Jefferson.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 01:12
yeah i've heard alot of horror stories about washington,i went up on the cog railway,and drove it just to realize on the way down i need new break pads,Hows the presidentials around this time? Im not going to be carrying much,i just weeded out some stuff these last couple days hiking in Ct and such.

Nearly Normal
05-17-2009, 01:46
Make sure when you get there to stop in front of the live cam at the observatory. Take a sign with your trailname and let us know ahead of time.

Homer&Marje
05-17-2009, 07:54
Interesting stat posted on this site stated: In 1996 more people died on Mt Washington than on Mt Everest! Probably shouldn't under estimate the endeavor! :-?

That's true simply because of accessibility to the mountain and some of the idiots that try and go climb up it. Let's climb Mt. Washington with 3 kids, in jeans,starting at about 11:30 am. In October.

Usually the people climbing Everest have much more experience and die because of the extreme altitude.

saimyoji
05-17-2009, 08:03
http://www.mountwashington.com/deaths/index.html

Peaks
05-17-2009, 08:22
http://www.mountwashington.com/deaths/index.html

This list includes a thru-hiker with a trail name of Harley. Be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best.

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 08:37
alaskan23, I truly think that you should wait until you hike more of the AT before you try this hike. I had 70mph winds and snow in August. The winds were slamming me to the ground. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever done in my life. I will say, that once the skies cleared, it was an awesome sight.
Definately will take you longer to hike than what you think. Strongly recommend staying at "lake of the Crowds" hut for safety reasons. $100 stay.

Deadeye
05-17-2009, 09:10
This goes for the high peak of many states: unless you like crowds, avoid it. I find climbing the surrounding peaks and looking at the local magnet from a distance more enjoyable than being there. Seems many, many people hike for the view from the top and little else, hence the summit crowd. I'm content with more intimate views.

Snowleopard
05-17-2009, 09:37
For the vicinity of Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington, it's still winter mountaineering.

ICEFALL will continue to be a significant issue
The Lion Head Summer Trail is now open. It has a section where it traverses steep snow where an ice axe and crampons are recommended for safe travel.

http://www.tuckerman.org/avalanche/
Other places are not so bad. Check trip reports on http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/
For example, there is still some snow on the trails to the Franconia Ridge http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30028
It'll be OK most places soon.

Don't worry about Presidentials in the summer. It is dangerous above tree line because of the weather extremes, but this can be dealt with. This means bring more warm clothes (fleece, wool, synthetics) and rain gear than below tree line, check the weather forecast before you go up and be prepared to bail out if the weather is bad. The difference between 4000' elevation and above treeline in NH can be amazing. You can always mail extra gear home by the time you're though the Whites.

On one early September hike up Mt. Jefferson, the weather was beautiful, 70degrees, when we got to the top, but I noticed that puddles in the shade were frozen solid. The Mt.Washington observatory said that night the temperature went to 10 and the wind over 100 mph.

I think the reason there are not more deaths of thru hikers is that by the time they reach the Presidentials they are extremely fit.

notorius tic
05-17-2009, 09:55
I lived at the base sall all the Drama in 97 just dont tey an tackel this unless you are READY . But F it have a nice Hike.

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 10:04
Based on all Alaska's previous inquiries regarding the trail, I don't think that he is ready. He would be more ready if he would complete CT, MA, VT, and southern NH first. I don't think it should be one of his first hikes.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:07
I've been looking up mount washington,and i don't feel prepared for it,i've done some high climbs,But i also was in ALOT better shape,and had All my artic clothing ..So i've decided as of Tuesday morning im going to do VT,AT section or long trail what you guys think? which ones better?

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:08
I would go today but there's a freeze warning and i don't mind cold weather,i just dont wanna lug that kinda clothing for one night so...

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:09
I have experience hiking and climbing JUST not here,i don't know what to expect or know the mountains like i did there.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:19
so i'm taking modiyooch advice and doing VT and if everything goese well doing the presidentials,thanks for the advice everyone

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 12:36
Long Trail

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:41
Thats what i was thinking Chaco

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 12:44
Although the Pressies are fun but the climb up is tough. It pays off on the ridge though. Above treeline for 12?+ miles. The climb up Washington is cool on a good day. I had an amazing day on my climb up Washington, sunrise on top and had the summit to myself for 3 hours. Weather was incredible.
After being at Traildays I have just heard so many great things about the Long Trail. It gets rough on the northern sections so I hear but it comes highly recommended

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:48
Yeah, Im going to do it,this tuesday.well i'm going to start,the green mountains are calling,and i have to respond.

Homer&Marje
05-17-2009, 12:52
Might be a bad idea but I really want to go out to the Berkshires and see some of the damage done by the ice storm. Bet it's some slow miles navigating some of the larger blow down sections. I was up in Westminster Ma doing a job and they were the hardest hit. It was like a war zone 3 months afterwards. Everyone's yard has huge piles of sticks stacked in front waiting for a town truck to pick them up. Pretty gnarly when everywhere you look there is downed trees.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:54
Berkshires weren.t horrible but still had alot of probs with blowdowns,Plus alot of possible widow-makers

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 12:55
Yeah, Im going to do it,this tuesday.well i'm going to start,the green mountains are calling,and i have to respond.

You wont be disappointed, Vermont is wet but its fun

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 12:58
yeah i keep hearing that,its a milder version of the White's ,so im going to enjoy it i hope.Do you know of anyone at the Northern Terminus that drives hikers home?

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 13:03
Northern New england doesen't have Devils Club right? i hate that plant

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 13:05
Chaco,Any advice on equipment? other than rain gear?

Pokey2006
05-17-2009, 14:07
Oh, please! The difficulty and danger of this mountain are extremely overrated. Most of the people who have died on the mountain did so by climbing it in winter, or skiing in one of the ravines. Very few summertime hikers -- even inexperienced ones -- have died climbing Mt. Washington. Thousands of people safely climb it every year. And that includes moms and dads in jeans towing along their little children. I mean, I did the climb when I was EIGHT for crying out loud. Not a big deal.

Though, yes, things do happen, so you don't want to be a dummy. But you also don't want to be too afraid to climb up this girl.

All the activity at the top is jarring, but the hike up is beautiful. Pick a nice, clear day in the summer or early fall, and do it.

Right now is not the time to climb, though, if you are inexperienced. They're still skiing Tuckerman's, from what I understand. Wait until July or August.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 14:21
No,im ok,im experience just not prepared nor in shape to do so.I've climb much higher but like i said not in shape for it.I'm going to stick to The LT

Pokey2006
05-17-2009, 14:27
Perhaps you can revisit the idea toward the end of summer, when you're in better shape. Sept. is the best time to hike in the White Mtns.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 14:54
Yeah i plan on doing that,i just wanna get some muscle going again,before i attempt anything like that.Is there cliff faces,would i need to be spotted? or is it all bouldering? I have a harness and belay system.

Snowleopard
05-17-2009, 14:55
Alaskanhkr23: It's going to get close to freezing here in N. Central Mass. Forecast for Manchester, vt tonight is 29F. Gear depends on how warm/cold you are but:
light or medium weight long johns.
light weight long pants.
down or synthetic vest would be nice if you have it.
fleece jacket
warm hat (light fleece).
gloves.
rain gear, poncho maybe OK except on higher peaks where rain parka and rain pants better. If these aren't goretex, a bit of added warm clothes might make sense.
DEET
headnet.
Reasonably warm sleeping bag, sufficient for 25 with all your clothes on.
Probably in another week or two you'll need hot weather clothes more than cold.
Vermont trail conditions: http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30000

Homer&Marje, Westminster, MA was basically ground zero for the Dec. ice storm. I'm the next town north (Ashburnham). We were without power for 11 days and surprised to get it that soon. I don't think the Berkshires got hit as bad as we did. You really had to be here to see how bad it was. Houses weren't damaged unless a tree fell on them or pipes froze, but the damage to the forest was awful.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 14:56
yeah i know snowlepoard,i saw the freeze warning ,thats why i didnt go today,thanks for the info though

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 14:59
well ill bring my 10 degree clothes,with some warm weather clothes,i have a parka i tweeked into a nice warm shell.Its was a -30 jacket but i tok some of the down out so it was 800 fill now its about 500 hundred fill.I've taken reg columbia wind breakers and made them warm in -40 so,im pretty handy when it come's to that kinda stuff

Snowleopard
05-17-2009, 14:59
Yeah i plan on doing that,i just wanna get some muscle going again,before i attempt anything like that.Is there cliff faces,would i need to be spotted? or is it all bouldering? I have a harness and belay system.
Except for weather the Presidentials aren't that much harder than stuff you've done in CT and Mass, and probably a lot easier than what you may have done in Alaska. It's higher and longer, but not that much worse. Harness and belay aren't needed. All you need are strong legs and lungs, and common sense to back off when the weather is against you.

Pokey2006
05-17-2009, 15:00

You can hike right up the mountain with nothing more than your own two legs. No specialized equipment is necessary.

Snowleopard
05-17-2009, 15:04
Alaskanhkr23, It won't get to 10 in VT. Worry more about 35 and raining.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 15:08
What not much worse? than what?

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 15:09
if your refering to Ak and VT ak is much much worse in the winter but not summer its too freakin hot in alaska in the summer

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 15:10
Well vermont should be very fun for me, i hope i want to have a nice long hike

Downhill Trucker
05-17-2009, 16:07
I would hike Franconia Ridge personally.

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 16:24
You can hike right up the mountain with nothing more than your own two legs. No specialized equipment is necessary.pokey, please. I beg to differ. this hiker has asked whether or not to take rain gear. My biggest hiking fear is getting wet and getting cold. I did climb in Aug, and it snowed. I went from 90 degrees in NC to freezing temps on Mt Washington. This hiker needs to be prepared whether temperatures drop or not. I don't think this mt, or any other, should be taken for granted. Please give him better advice.

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 16:29
sorry guys, I'm just worried about this young man. I have a son the same age.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 16:32
AWW thanks modiyooch,i know not to play,i have climbed much bigger and toupher,i am in no shape or form prepared to do that,im sticking to Vermont

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 16:50
Can someone overlook my pack list for the LT?

Slimer
05-17-2009, 16:55
Your trip on the Cog should've given you a good look at the climb.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 17:02
kelty 4750 coyote pack
msr-whisper light stove
mess kit
50' nylon cord
bear bag
survival knife
water proof matches
small emergency kit/first aid
map/compass
2 litre water bladder
30 degree s/bag
tent

clothes-cold
warm shell jacket
wool sweater
longjohns
jeans/long pants
heavy wool socks
fleece hat

warm-brisk weather
light wool sweater
ems teckwick shirt
shorts
light wool socks
bandana

optional-
ipod
bear spray

Pokey2006
05-17-2009, 17:10
pokey, please. I beg to differ. this hiker has asked whether or not to take rain gear. My biggest hiking fear is getting wet and getting cold. I did climb in Aug, and it snowed. I went from 90 degrees in NC to freezing temps on Mt Washington. This hiker needs to be prepared whether temperatures drop or not. I don't think this mt, or any other, should be taken for granted. Please give him better advice.

I was responding more to the gloom and doom posts of you and others. You might die, more people die there than Everest...and you've left this young man with the impression that he needs climbing gear and whatnot to hike it! Why don't YOU try giving better advice?

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 17:12
Um i asked if you did,noone gave me any impressions,in fact when i do decide to do it,i hope i can use that stuff,hiking in semi -new to me,im more of a climber

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 17:14
People use Mount washington- to prepare to climb Mt,denali,form what i've heard it's the closet weather you can get.with artic temps and winds,I'm prolly more quilified to Go into the artic than hike vermont,to tell you the truth

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 17:15
but once again can someone give a quik overlook on my pack list ,i posted a few threads up

warraghiyagey
05-17-2009, 17:37
I have experience hiking and climbing JUST not here,i don't know what to expect or know the mountains like i did there.
I'm guessing mountain hikes in Alaska make you more than able to do the Presidetial Range. . . .

You wont be disappointed, Vermont is wet but its fun
Jennfrick and I will be doing Dalton Masss to the northern terminus of the Long Trail this summer.. . .

Oh, please! The difficulty and danger of this mountain are extremely overrated. .
Agreed. . . . it's just a GREAT climb. . . . :sun:sun

Well vermont should be very fun for me, i hope i want to have a nice long hike
If that's what you want. . . it's what you'll get. . . have a great hike!!:sun

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:01
Ur doing dalton to northenr terminus of the LT when? and may i come?

Snowleopard
05-17-2009, 18:22
Alaskanhkr23, For your gear list:
'warm shell jacket' If this is waterproof (goretex, etc). Then you're OK, though I would carry at least cheap rain pants in case of heavy blowing rain.
Sleeping pad?? Walmart blue foam is OK if you're young (for warmth, not just comfort)
Do you have DEET in there someplace?

In terms of weight:
the pack is heavy
how heavy is the tent? Next time, use a cheap tarp and mosquito netting.
But, you're young and you'll carry it OK.
Bear spray is very 'optional' in VT, not needed unless you're using it to spice up your food.

Have fun!!

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:26
LOL thanks man,um yeah the jacket is rain proof,and i can just bring a tarp in case it down poors,but other wise i would like to stay at the shelters

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:31
Yeah the spray is very optional,but i like to have it when i do not carry my handgun,and i wanna be able to talk and meet people so im not bringin my handgun,LOL. Plus it acts like prtection from both bear and nutcases

celt
05-17-2009, 18:34
I caught the post suggesting the Trip Reports on www.viewsfromthetop.com

I'd like to suggest also checking out the Trail Conditions page for NH: http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

There is an excellent conditions report from yesterday that includes several trails on the east side of Mt. W. http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30052

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:45
Thanks celt

vonfrick
05-17-2009, 18:57
Ur doing dalton to northenr terminus of the LT when? and may i come?

i hike to get away from people, as i am a sociopath.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:09
LOL really? thats cool i guess

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 19:16
Hi all, miss me?

Your gear list looks ok. You just have to get out and you will learn what you like to carry and what you never use. The main thing right now, rain gear. Vermont will be wet. Take a pair of socks that you keep in a dry sack and only use them for when you get to camp and in your tent or shelter.

Im curious, what is in a survival kit? I figure your gear is your survival kit.

Ditch the waterproof matches and carry 2-3 lighters

Compass is not necessary

Oh man, dont take Jeans. They will add so much weight if they get wet.

I see you have 2 wool sweaters, why?

Are you carrying a sleeping pad??

Like i said, you gotta just get out there and you will learn.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:21
well wool is good for heat wise but is heavy,socks yes i got socks,no sleeping pad,but i dont want to bring a tent,its probly the heaviest thing i have,can i cut a tarp to size and use it?

Homer&Marje
05-17-2009, 19:26
i hike to get away from people, as i am a sociopath.

See. Now I've agreed with just about everyone:D

Scary

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 19:29
well wool is good for heat wise but is heavy,socks yes i got socks,no sleeping pad,but i dont want to bring a tent,its probly the heaviest thing i have,can i cut a tarp to size and use it?

Yea but 2 sweaters is what Im asking. Socks are fine, just take more than one. Dont rely on the shelters, take some sort of shelter whether its a tent or a tarp, just take something. I strongly recommend you take a sleeping pad or you will have alot of heat loss at night, esp since you are only carrying a 30 bag. You have alot of unnescessary stuff and are lacking some really important stuff but like I said, wen you go out, you will learn. Just dont set yourself up for being miserable.

vonfrick
05-17-2009, 19:30
See. Now I've agreed with just about everyone:D

Scary

i'm working on my people skills

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 19:33
don't forget the flashlight. I didn't see that listed

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:43
LOL i know i have a headlamp modiyooch ,is there stilll snow up north of killington,i keep getting mixed massages about going to vermont

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 19:50
LOL i know i have a headlamp modiyooch ,is there stilll snow up north of killington,i keep getting mixed massages about going to vermont
just pick back up where you left off and head toward vt. you'll be fine. You always have the option to come off, but if you don't try.....

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:52
yeah i feel yuh

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 20:16
ok heres the plan Tuesday-Hike the MNT Monadnock-sunapee trail-52miles,stay a night at my cousins in peterborough,NH and then head to Vt's LT that would be memorial weekends should be open

Nearly Normal
05-18-2009, 01:48
ok heres the plan Tuesday-Hike the MNT Monadnock-sunapee trail-52miles,stay a night at my cousins in peterborough,NH and then head to Vt's LT that would be memorial weekends should be open

:banana:banana:banana

Homer&Marje
05-18-2009, 05:53

Going for 52 in 1 day or you breaking that up into 2 or 3?

sheri
05-18-2009, 21:41
Hey Alaskan Hiker -- You must go to this site to get all the info and advice you want: www.mountwashington.org (http://www.mountwashington.org) -- Go to the forums -- go to Hike The Whites!!!! These people are fantastic!

Tinker
05-18-2009, 21:45
Cut your toenails before you go. I figured you'd be doing that anyway, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance.........Wait a second - isn't that what hiking's about anyway?

Alaskanhkr23
05-19-2009, 10:07
BYe guys,leaving for NH now wish me luck

Alaskanhkr23
05-19-2009, 10:07
and its spread over 3 days