PDA

View Full Version : Trail Land Acquisition to End?

TJ aka Teej
06-19-2004, 19:09
U.S. House En Route to Chilling Land Acquisition
The U.S. House of Representatives this week could take up — and probably pass — a bill approved Friday by the Appropriations Committee that would mean virtually no land acquisitions in the fiscal year beginning October 1 by the National Park Service and USDA Forest Service. Forty years ago, Congress created the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) to help protect — with $900 million a year — parks, trails, open spaces, wilderness, wetlands, and recreational areas; the A.T. has been one of its primary beneficiaries. The 2005 spending bill for the Interior Department and related agencies includes $50 million for emergencies and existing work. The bill does increase funds for Park Service operations by 4.7 percent ($77 million) above this year, but officials predict that will be more than offset by annual payroll increases and inflation. Supporters of restoring funds, including ATC leaders, are looking to the Senate Appropriations Committee to at least approve the $205 million more requested by the administration for those agencies. A group called Americans Saving American Places http://www.asap2004.org/ is trying to get 1 million signatures on a petition seeking full funding of the LWCF.

Youngblood
06-19-2004, 19:57
In the greater scheme of things with war expenses, increased security costs, etc, it might be appropriate to pospone some spending. Just a thought.

Youngblood

tribes
06-19-2004, 20:16
In the greater scheme of things with war expenses, increased security costs, etc, it might be appropriate to pospone some spending. Just a thought.

Youngblood

In order to agree with this line of reasoning one would have to support the war in question. This voter does not and I have already signed the petition. Thanks for posting this Teej. It behooves almost everyone who gives a ***** about open space preservation to sign this petition. There are 3400+ potential signatures on this board. Forward this this link around to people you know folks. It only took me about 20 seconds to complete.

Twofiddy
06-19-2004, 23:20
What we need is election reform.

We need to elect a fat red neck truck driver, a black (would use other stereo type word here for effect) news stand owner from the streets of NYC, and an educated pig farmer who still has SH1T on his boots to office.

The farmer wants more open land, the truck driver wants good conditions for driver, the news stand guy wants to quit looking at pictures of George Bush over Ronald Regans coffin for dramatic impulse for the election.

This country, and its politics, are going to hell in a hand basket.

I vote for who ever is going to minimize government the most. Unfortunate that this year we have a trigger happy spender, and a democratic catholic to vote for...

Both suck in my opinion... have to wait 4 more years to have a glimmer of hope this time around.

Youngblood
06-20-2004, 09:53
In order to agree with this line of reasoning one would have to support the war in question.

Just for clarification, I disagree with that statement. The point I was trying to make is that it is my believe that government spending has gone up tremendously, with the war and extra security being the primary drivers. Whether you agree with the war (extra security,etc), support it, or oppose it, the spending is still there. I expect my government to practice financial responsibility. I don't know if that is the logic behind what is going on or not, but if it is, my point is that it might be appropriate from a financial standpoint to postpone some expenditures until the country/government can better afford them.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2004, 10:20
My granny "MAMIE CORNELIA SAVAGE" who wuz raised up WAY back in the BACK OF BEYOND always told me that if you wait till you can afford to do it...you will NEVER do it...she had a 5th grade education but she shore wuz real smart!

weary
06-20-2004, 12:34

Youngblood

If you think more public land is important, and eventually it has to happen, then it makes sense to buy it as cheaply as possible, which generally is today. With the exception of depression times, land values inevitably increase with each passing year.

Land values have doubled over the past 3 or 4 years in Maine.

Weary