PDA

View Full Version : Gear Questions

jarenoldss
05-17-2009, 10:54
I'm graduating from college this spring and thru-hiking southbound. I've had trouble finding as much information for hiking south. I'm planning my trip a bit late as I just got laid off from a job I hadn't even started yet and thought what better time to do it. Wondering what a good sized backpack to use is. Choosing between the vapor trail and nimbus ozone by Granite Gear. How about maps as well. A lot of the ones I've seen are pretty expensive and come in huge detailed sets. Thanks for the help.

Jo-To
05-17-2009, 11:14
For maps check out the ATC's website and just order the maps you will need. As for pack I have no knowledge or expereince with either suggestion.

yaduck9
05-17-2009, 11:19
May want to read the articles listed along the left side of the home page.

May want to post another message or private message to some of the folks who wrote those articles.

I am sure your going to get a boat load of responses. the trick will be sifting through all of the information. You may want to look at some of the past threads to find who you should talk to.

In my limited opinion it appears that you are on the right track with Granite Gear. those two packs receive positive comments from past posts.

Good Luck

Squinty
05-17-2009, 11:23
I carry the GG Nimbus Ozone and find it to be a fine pack. There are lighter packs out there and there are larger packs available but so far this pack has suited my purposes on the AT, the FT and for many other excursions. I recommend it. Like Jo-To said maps are available at the ATC website on-line store, but you may want to consider carrying only the data book with you, the trail is pretty clearly marked. Have a good hike!

Feral Bill
05-17-2009, 14:28
:welcometo White Blaze. Have a great trip.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-17-2009, 14:39
I use an 85 liter pack for my long hike more than a couple of weeks. I currently have a Teton Fox 75+10 as my large pack, which for the price was unbeatable, but it weighs 5.5 pounds, so you can spend a lot more money and trim a good 2 or 3 pounds with a nicer pack. As for the rest of the gear, it all pretty much follows suit, the more you spend he lighter it gets (most times). I am of the adapt and overcome mentality to a point, so I carry the 5.5 pack, and my bedroll complete 4 seasons weighs about 8, although I can take fractions of it and normally only take about 5 pound of bedroll. As for a tent, I drool everytime I see the Tera Nova Photon, but I tarp tent. No matter how you choose to hike I hope you have a great hike!!!

prain4u
05-17-2009, 15:53
Just a brief thought that MANY people seem to express on WhiteBlaze:

Acquire all of your gear FIRST--and THEN select the right pack to carry that gear.

There is no need to buy a pack that is too small (or needlessly too big) for the gear that you will be carrying. And, because everyone's gear list is pretty different (in terms of weight and volume), it is difficult to advise you on the "right" pack for you---until you have assembled your other gear.

Blissful
05-17-2009, 16:09
Get gear first, pack last.

Also, check the Southbound thread for ideas, under Thru hiker Specific Topics forum.

McKeever
05-17-2009, 17:57
I would not buy any pack that weights over a 2lbs and you should consider the packs that weigh 1lb or less and use a tarp and a quilt. That puts your base weight less than 4 lbs!