PDA

View Full Version : For those with beagles and beagle mixes(Phreak and others)

Rouen
05-17-2009, 11:43
at what point can you guage when they are more likely to track/follow scent versus listen to you? and how is the best way to get around the beagle stubborness?

Nearly Normal
05-18-2009, 02:03
at what point can you guage when they are more likely to track/follow scent versus listen to you? and how is the best way to get around the beagle stubborness?

A Leash ??

Rouen
05-19-2009, 12:27
whats a leash got to do with properly training a dog? regardless of teather a dog should listen, if you couldn't stick with the original topic why bother posting?

Phreak
05-19-2009, 15:41
Use a long training lead. This will allow you to give a voice command and gauge how well he/she listens. If they are still tracking scents instead of listening to the command, you still have control over them. I used a 50' lead for training Maggie. It was a lot of work but well worth it.

Blissful
05-20-2009, 13:36
This thread makes me really sad...

:(

Miss my beagle Lady....
Her pic is in my gallery.

Reid
05-20-2009, 14:34
They are naturals at following scent. What kind of scent are you reffering too though? What is it that you want them to do?

sly dog
05-20-2009, 14:52
What sucks for me is I use my beagle to run rabbits when I am hunting with my dad but I like to take him hiking too so the sent instenct is already in his mind. One good thing is when he sees me grab a backpack instead of a gun he kinda knows what we are doing and can tell the differance between hiking and hunting. Also its hard to train a dog to stay behind you when hiking but want him to be in front of you hunting. When I hike with him I keep him on a 20' rope but he never really goes more than 10' in front of me due to getting tired after couple hours of walking. If I am on a straight section of trail I will let the rope drop and he stays on trail but if he decides to dart I can step on the rope to stop him and then pick it up to keep him in control.

Rouen
05-21-2009, 15:54
I dont want her to find any scent, but being part beagle I know she will. She's not too keen on any one scent it seems and whenever we see the cottontails here she basically ignores them, but she does like to use her nose.

Airblazer
07-18-2009, 12:28
My Beagle Molly will be hiking with me from Abol Bridge south to the ME-NH border during August - Sept! Can't wait!

Anyone have any experience running into dangerous wildlife (i.e. bears) with a beagle? I am thinking Molly would probably bark at it... I'm not sure how concerned I need to be about things like that...

Rouen
07-21-2009, 11:09
And an update on Dasy for those who want to know, she's graduating from her KPT graduates class and will be moving on to intermediate obed, we will be doing off leash work and distractions.

Egads
07-21-2009, 12:25
Use a long training lead. This will allow you to give a voice command and gauge how well he/she listens. If they are still tracking scents instead of listening to the command, you still have control over them. I used a 50' lead for training Maggie. It was a lot of work but well worth it.

I can vouch for Phreak's training techniques. I hike with Phreak & his "girls" and they have NEVER gotten out of line on the trail.

Rouen
07-21-2009, 15:49

I can vouch for Phreak's training techniques. I hike with Phreak & his "girls" and they have NEVER gotten out of line on the trail.

I do this when working on recalls, she's very eager to come but her breaks need work, once she has come to a halt though she does a nice formal sit. I have found that she gets bored easily though.