PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike

Jo-To
05-17-2009, 11:49
Well folks I've been in the process of planning my section hike this summer and since I'm not too familar with SNP I was wandering if anyone can throw me some advice or hints. I'm thinking about starting around Milam Gap and then I'll be heading north for a few days. I'm not too concerned where I'll be ending up because that can change accordingly,but so far I'm shooting for Bear's Den.

I guess my question is would this be a good starting point? For my first day I'm trying to keep my mileage around 10-12 miles,then after that it doesnt matter. If starting at Milam Gap would there be any good spots to camp for the night in the 10-12 mile range? Thanks in advance for any help folks.

Skyline
05-17-2009, 12:07
Well folks I've been in the process of planning my section hike this summer and since I'm not too familar with SNP I was wandering if anyone can throw me some advice or hints. I'm thinking about starting around Milam Gap and then I'll be heading north for a few days. I'm not too concerned where I'll be ending up because that can change accordingly,but so far I'm shooting for Bear's Den.

I guess my question is would this be a good starting point? For my first day I'm trying to keep my mileage around 10-12 miles,then after that it doesnt matter. If starting at Milam Gap would there be any good spots to camp for the night in the 10-12 mile range? Thanks in advance for any help folks.

You'll be between shelters if you start at Milam Gap and want to do 10-12 miles. That should put you a little north of Skyland Resort. There are stealth sites (without a water source) in that area. Get your water at Skyland, then head north. When you get to where the AT makes an abrupt right and the blue-blaze goes straight ahead to Stony Man Cliffs, start looking to your right for some level ground.

Need more help? Visit www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com). That site and the many links on its links page should keep you busy.