PDA

View Full Version : Trail in Maryland

10-K
05-17-2009, 12:29
Is the Maryland section of the trail considered difficult? I'm thinking about trying to coax my wife into doing that section.

She's in good shape but not a hiker - I'd plan 4 days for the hike just to be on the safe side but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't want to go on a strenous hike.....

Mrs Baggins
05-17-2009, 12:33
Which direction? To me the hardest part (and really none of it is "hard") is the northbound switchback climb up to Weverton Cliffs.

10-K
05-17-2009, 12:36
Which direction? To me the hardest part (and really none of it is "hard") is the northbound switchback climb up to Weverton Cliffs.

SOBO

We would park in Harper's Ferry at the vistor's center and her sister would drive us to the MD-PA line or a trailhead thereabouts (Do you know where that might be?)

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 12:39
Easy and mostly flat.

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 12:41
SOBO

We would park in Harper's Ferry at the vistor's center and her sister would drive us to the MD-PA line or a trailhead thereabouts (Do you know where that might be?)
Go a few more miles to the Free State Hiker Hostel. Its a must see in the area. Highly recomend it

10-K
05-17-2009, 16:30
What does "Penmar" mean? I'm assuming it's some connotation of Pennsylvania and Maryland?

Blissful
05-17-2009, 16:32
Sure go for it. A few rocky areas but not bad. Take it easy though. I did fall in one of those areas.

Yeah, Penmar is a big park near the PA border. It's a good guess on the name.

traildust
05-17-2009, 16:38
enMar is a state park right on the state line. no camping there but shelter area and good place to start southbound. I would beg to differ about the difficulty. Leaving from HF you have a great walk to Weaverton Cliffs that will get your wife into the motion and senses of hiking. Flat along the river. But Weaverton Cliffs is gasser. Old persons term for it will take your breath away. Heading out of PenMar you have the bolders and rock fields but once you get a couple miles down its not to bad until you go up to Washington Monument. Once you cross the interstate bridge it is homefree really. If she is new, maybe focus on only an 8 mile or 10 mile day to not burn her out or tick her off. I sprung a 25 miler on my wife the first day out of Harper's and when she had done it she was elated until she found out I had told her it was only 25 and I had made a map error. She was not amused.

Have fun. Wife and I have hiked the Maryland section twice and it is a challenge that a beginner can overcome. Be patient.

Downhill Trucker
05-18-2009, 04:35
Is the Maryland section of the trail considered difficult? I'm thinking about trying to coax my wife into doing that section.

She's in good shape but not a hiker - I'd plan 4 days for the hike just to be on the safe side but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't want to go on a strenous hike.....

It's pretty gravy. Little rocky here and there but at other points its smooth like a jeep trail. Good shelters and campsites but they are usually near roads.:-?

mikec
05-18-2009, 07:24
There are some ups in MD but they are not bad. There are some rocks as well. Some of the newest/nicest shelters on the AT are in MD (Raven Rocks, Rocky Run, Ensign Cowall, Ed Garvey). 4 days is about right to do this section. Be sure to stop at Annapolis Rocks and Weaverton Cliffs for the nice views.

10-K
05-18-2009, 07:33
Thanks a lot for all the info - it sounds like a great first overnight hike for my wife and I to do together.

BTW, would Penmar Park be a place I could leave my truck for 2 weeks when I hike the PA section of the trail?

Hooch
05-18-2009, 07:39
What's a good source for a shuttle from Harper's Ferry to PenMar? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

sharky
05-18-2009, 10:20
Start at Pen Mar and get the hardest part out of the way in the first day and a half. Leave your car at HF and have someone drop you at Pen Mar. When your done stop in Boonsboro and go to the Potomac Street Creamery. Its a little hole in the wall joint attached to a video store with fantastic ice cream

joec
05-18-2009, 12:26
I did it last summer in 3 days and it was easy. The rocks on the first day was the worse part. I actually got slightly lost one time and I was only 10' off the trail. It was all rocks and locating the next blaze on a tree was the only way to keep on the path.

Ridge Rat
05-18-2009, 12:56
I am planning on doing this section NOBO next weekend for the 3 day. I have hiked all of PA and VA so finishing up the middle states before i fill in the gaps I missed up north. It cant be as bad as the Eastern half of PA when it comes to rocks so it shouldnt be too bad. Happy hiking

Don H
05-18-2009, 13:03
Pen Mar Park is a Washington County, Maryland park not a state park. Not meaning to pick but...
http://www.washco-md.net/public_works/parks/penmar.htm

sly dog
05-18-2009, 13:04
I did this section 2 years ago and cant remember rocks, but then again I am from PA and thats what I call rocky. Actually MD was the first section I did solo and I had a ball..... easy, fun,lots to see.