PDA

View Full Version : I leave next Sunday for my SNP thru!!!

Downhill Trucker
05-17-2009, 16:44
Starting at Rockfish Gap next Sunday afternoon and I cant wait. A few questions...

Where can I get the most accurate weather report for the park?

Bears... will they be a problem? I'm going solo and I'll be hammocking. Obviously I'll hang food but should I camp away from where I eat? Other measures?

A few of your favorite campsites???

Should I stay at Big Meadows Lodge? I have provided enough time to take a zero day.

Any thru hikers make it there yet? Any of you guys gonna be out on the trail?

Any other notes? You guys have been more than helpful in the past. Hope to see you out!

Zach
trailname: Downhill Trucker

bigcranky
05-17-2009, 16:52
You're going to be a bear pinata? Heh. You will be very likely to see bears. You will be very unlikely to have any problems.

It's slightly early for a lot of thru-hikers.

We took a long break at Big Meadows Wayside (the restaurant near the Skyline Drive), and enjoyed it. We spent a night at Skyland, which was okay. If I had it to do over again, I would take a zero or nero at Big Meadows Lodge and explore the area, hike the meadow trail, etc.

The best campsite we had was a site at Pass Mountain Hut, in the grassy area past the shelter.

I enjoyed stopping at every possible wayside, picnic area, campground store, etc. -- they were so different than the rest of the trail, in a fun way.

McKeever
05-17-2009, 18:17
Starting at Rockfish Gap next Sunday afternoon and I cant wait. A few questions...

Where can I get the most accurate weather report for the park? (Weather Underground for Waneboro, Front Royal, and Luray.)

Bears... will they be a problem? I'm going solo and I'll be hammocking. Obviously I'll hang food but should I camp away from where I eat? Other measures? (Can be, you will prob see a bear or two, USE THE BEAR CABLES when in doubt or PCT method, and it's always smart to cook in one place and camp in another. You could just eat cold and call and eat more at the camp stores and resturants during the day.

A few of your favorite campsites??? (Numerous)

Should I stay at Big Meadows Lodge? I have provided enough time to take a zero day. (Go for it)

Any thru hikers make it there yet? Any of you guys gonna be out on the trail?

Any other notes? You guys have been more than helpful in the past. Hope to see you out!

Zach
SEE Above comments....

Don H
05-17-2009, 18:54
I did the same section, Rockfish Gap to the 4H center 3 weeks ago. Easy hiking, I did it in 7 days. Saw 3 bears (mom and cubs) near Simmons Gap, no problems with bears though.
Had lunch at Big Meadows Restaurant, good food. The campgrounds and their supplies are overpriced. I paid $11.00 for a small bottle of sunscreen but I was getting sunburned and I had left mine in the car. Used it one day and then it rained the rest of the week! Enjoy your hike.

johnnybgood
05-17-2009, 21:21
Saw two bear on my thru of the park , not real big .
I would still hang my food 'cause I read a few entries on the logbooks at certain huts mentioning bear sightings .

As for good tent sites , Hightop Mtn with a great view and good level sites above Pinefield shelter if you can deal with gusty winds on clear nights. Anything near a ridge ,might have to use blue blazes .

Met twenty to thirty thru hikers in my week + hike , mostly Feb. starters and March 1 beginners.

As for weather forcasts , Byrd Visitor Center at Big Meadows monitors weather in the park constantly.
They can print out a 5 day forcast.

Happy hiking !

Fat Man Walking
05-17-2009, 22:03
Hope that you will post a follow up on your trip when you get back.

Like everyone, wondering about the flow rate of the springs etc except that with the camp grounds, etc, water shouldn't be a real problem.

Am jealous that it should be cooler than July when I have to go if at all.

Have a great hike.

Downhill Trucker
05-18-2009, 04:25
I'll definately report for you guys when I get back. Any idea how much it costs to stay at Big Meadows Lodge?

mikec
05-18-2009, 07:35
I usually watch the weather channel before I start a hike.

Big Meadows is a nice place to camp or stay at the lodge.

There is a nice campsite around just north of Mount Marshall in the northern section of the park. You come across a boxed spring just to the right of the AT. Turn right at the spring and follow the faint trail about a quarter mile and it will open up to a nice wide camping area with many places to camp. It's not on any map. I found it by accident while trying to find a campsite my last night in the park while doing a NOBO section of SNP back in 2001.

Nicksaari
05-18-2009, 07:37
its not too pricey, but the going rate for most lodging. i would call aramark to get the rates from them. hey! maybe ill see you out there...

Nicksaari
05-18-2009, 07:39
oh and there aren't more accurate weather reports than the govt weather: NOAA.GOV

sly dog
05-18-2009, 09:54
I am starting the SNP on this Saturday morning, maybe see ya out there. I did look at weather.com and it looks like rain and thunderstorms from Sat til wed. Great, just my luck!! I would have scheduled a different section but I already have my rides and logistics set up for SNP to Harpers Ferry.

Fat Man Walking
05-18-2009, 10:04
Don't know if it is comparable to Skyland but, I checked on Skyland as I plan to stay there and it was about 103 to 115 a night for a room with two double beds. Higher for a king. You can always opt for a campsite which is about 20 to 30 I think.

Looking forward to your report.

Thanks

Worm
05-18-2009, 11:40
I'll be starting Sunday the 24th from Front Royal heading south to Waynsboro with my son and sister if they don't back out. So thanks for the thread. I guess I will see all of you in passing.

Richard Snider
05-18-2009, 13:23
I live in Waynesboro VA which is right at the SNP, Rockfish Gap south entrance. You will see some bears but they are not a problem as long as you let them have their space and keep your food bags hung correctly. I've encountered a lot of bears in the SNP & never had a problem because I'll stop and wait until they move on. Most of the bears are generally a little lower on the mountains than the AT as that is where the fewest people are & the best water sources for them.

Believe it or not there have already been several through hikers passing through the SNP south entrance the past 2 - 3 weekends. There were about 10 an the post office last weekend and I saw 3 there today. The local outfitter Rockfish Gap Outfitters has been servicing several already.

As far as weather forecast go the National Weather service is the most accurat for this area. You can usually take the Waynesboro, Front Royal, Winchester forecasts and deduct about 3 - 5 degrees for temperture and allow for some wind on the ridges. Nights are still a little cool but deffinitely not colt on the trail in the SNP this time of year.

Cookerhiker
05-19-2009, 07:27
Starting at Rockfish Gap next Sunday afternoon and I cant wait. A few questions.......A few of your favorite campsites???...Zach

.....As for good tent sites , Hightop Mtn with a great view and good level sites above Pinefield shelter if you can deal with gusty winds on clear nights. .........!

I second the recommendation for Hightop and if you're not aware, there's a good spring on top as well as a lot of level areas for your tent. You'll see a fabulous sunset from the rocks overlooking the west slope.

Blissful
05-19-2009, 13:34
Check weather.com

Bears - probably gonna be around. They have bear poles at the huts and the camping areas which are a trip to use.

Many of the camping areas at the huts leave much to be desired. Small, hilly, rocky, etc., esp with my tarptent, but hammocking you should be fine. Nice thing about a hammock, you can go anywhere. Hope you have maps to give you better ideas on other places to uh, hang out!

Be sure to have your backpack permit.

Prepare for ticks and take all precautions. That can't be stressed enough. Check yourself diligently. Use DEET and premethrin your clothing.

Need reservations like NOW if you intend to stay at a lodge. May already be full. Call ahead. Food areas are expensive, so take lots of cash.

Downhill Trucker
05-19-2009, 13:53
Thank you guys again for the continued info. Does the area at Hightop have any trees on it? I will only be bringing a hammock.

I have the patc maps and guide as I have 10 days to do this section and plan on blue blazing a bunch and probably taking a zero or two. It is my vacation!

Rain Man
05-19-2009, 13:58
I did that hike two summers ago with my daughter. We saw bears each day for the 7 days. Mostly we saw bear butts, because they do run from humans and mostly see you before you see them.

Stayed at Big Meadows one night. Don't recall the price, but they have a web site. We thought the restaurant food was pretty amazing for a park. We stayed in campgrounds, in BM, in huts, and once along the trail. Oh, and the Panorama Wayside was closed. Don't know if it has re-opened.

It rained twice during our week, and BOTH TIMES we were sitting in restaurants eating a meal, once at BM and once at Skyland. Daytime temps were in the 70s. We did run into gnats one day, but had bug nets for our heads, which helped immensely. Saw lots of birds soaring below us. I was sitting against a mileage pole one day and watched ticks crawling in my direction!

The footpath was good, but not a yellow brick road, ... and yes, there were climbs.

Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
05-19-2009, 16:49
Thank you guys again for the continued info. Does the area at Hightop have any trees on it? I will only be bringing a hammock...

Yes, there are plenty of trees - I camped up there a month ago and bear-bagged my food on one of them.

10-K
05-20-2009, 10:55
When I hiked through there last week I think I was the only hiker that did not see bears and rattlesnakes. I did however see an abundance of deer and pulled at *least* a dozen ticks off my legs.

The weather was beatiful - the only night it rained I was in a hut and didn't even have to carry a wet tent the next day. (Nothing worse than carrying a wet tent IMO...)

Oh, and I got to the Loft Mountain Campstore on the very day it opened - only problem was I got there at 9:00 AM and the store didn't open until noon. Bummer... I really wanted some honey barbeque fritos....

10-K
05-20-2009, 10:58
Oh... it was dry as a bone from Black Rock hut to Calf Mountain Hut.

But, Black Rock hut is .2 of a mile straight down and the piped spring was putting out about a liter every 3-4 minutes.

A much better place to stop for water and whatever is the Dundee Campground (Dundee or something close to that spelling anyway...) which is an hours hike north of Black Rock. It has running water, picnic tables, a privvy with real toilet paper AND a dumpster. I love finding dumpsters too...

Blissful
05-20-2009, 13:47
All shelter areas have trees. Lots of trees. Trees galore in Shenandoah. :) Have a good time.

Skyline
05-20-2009, 14:32
Great time of year to be doing SNP end-to-end!

Weather info links all in one place: http://www.mvshuttle.com/weathercheck.html

Blissful
05-20-2009, 18:30
Yeah this was the week to do it, actually. And I'm here working (and on WB) Sigh...

Downhill Trucker
05-23-2009, 14:47
Well I leave tommorow morning, thanks for all of the great info again. I'll be sure to report when I return. One last question... will any of the stores carry grain alcohol or heet? If not, I gotta pack some more fuel for my alcohol stove! And I can only have a fire at the shelters, correct?

Downhill Trucker
05-23-2009, 15:27
And do the campstores sell cigrettes (yes, I know I shouldnt be smoking... but).

Nean
05-23-2009, 15:59
And do the campstores sell cigrettes (yes, I know I shouldnt be smoking... but).

Carry a carton, that's what a pack will cost you in the store!:p Plus you can make friends with your extras!!:D

thestin
05-23-2009, 18:11
The National Weather Service does a specific forecast for the higher elevations of the park.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=REC&node=KLWX

sly dog
06-11-2009, 10:22
Well I finished my hike and had a wonderful time. As people told me there was no water after calf mountain until the next shelter, 12 or 13 miles away. Other than that water was not a problem. Calf mountain was only like 7 miles in so I hiked on and camped between the first two shelters, kinda sucked that I had to make my 2L of water last for dinner and breakfast but I didn't want to only do 7 miles on the first day. My first day in I ran into a bunch of thru hikers starting from the self reg station until I camped. I kinda was leapfrogging a lotta hikers the whole way thru the park, kept seeing the same ones over and over. I did have a bunch of rain thru the whole hike but made the best of it. The first couple days the weather was perfect and the views were great. Once and a while at road crossings I walked the several tenths to the road overlooks to enjoy views. After several days the rain hit and was soaked along with most of my gear so when I was approaching Lewis mountain campground I called to reserve a cabin and was glad I did. I was able to dry out all my gear and get a warm shower. The fog was so thick when I got there that I had to follow the road thru the campground cuz you couldn't see anything else ahead of you. After a nice warm night in the cabin I got a late start but managed to make another 15 miles even with a 11:00am start. The rain was on and off the next couple days but was bearable. I did only see one bear near the pinnacles but tons of deer all over. I also stayed at Loft mountain campground so I could enjoy a cold six pack around my campfire, other than that I was tenting and used 2 shelters. I did hit the wayside at Big Meadows and the tap room for some drafts. Thought that was cool that I was able to have cold beer on the trail. I had lunch at Skyland with a couple of thru hikers, snuggles and truckin, two cool girls.I also hit Elkwallow wayside but never got the milkshake, machines were broken at the 2 waysides I tried getting them at. On the 8th day I left the park and met my brother keystone(06) and Rapunzel(06) in Front Royal. We got a hotel and relaxed in comfort till 2:00 next day then pushed on toward Harpers Ferry. Jim and Molly Denton shelter was very cool, stayed there with several thru hikers. Did hit bears den for ice cream, awesome caretakers. Stayed at blackburn center's hostel during a stormy night which was well worth the hike down hill. It was pouring rain on us for over an hour on the ridge line with lightning hitting all around but I wanted to make it to blackburn center. We got there and no hikers were in the hostel so we had room to hang all our gear, start a fire in the wood burner and dry all our stuff and gear. The roller coaster was not too bad but is a pain in the butt and offers no views,well one view like 3 miles after Bears Den. Only had 2 ticks on me the whole trip but did use deet and treated clothes with permethrin. At the end I stayed at Front Royal hostel when I picked up my brothers car cuz it was too late to hit the road home. The owner, Grateful Greenpeace Guy was very cool and had let us park 2 cars there for the 2nd week of hiking. All in all it was a very cool trip and took 13 days and came home on day 14. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

10-K
06-11-2009, 11:26
Sounds like you had a great hike, I'm always amazed at how fast the time goes by - except those last 10 miles. ;)

Well I finished my hike and had a wonderful time. As people told me there was no water after calf mountain until the next shelter, 12 or 13 miles away. Other than that water was not a problem. Calf mountain was only like 7 miles in so I hiked on and camped between the first two shelters, kinda sucked that I had to make my 2L of water last for dinner and breakfast but I didn't want to only do 7 miles on the first day. My first day in I ran into a bunch of thru hikers starting from the self reg station until I camped. I kinda was leapfrogging a lotta hikers the whole way thru the park, kept seeing the same ones over and over. I did have a bunch of rain thru the whole hike but made the best of it. The first couple days the weather was perfect and the views were great. Once and a while at road crossings I walked the several tenths to the road overlooks to enjoy views. After several days the rain hit and was soaked along with most of my gear so when I was approaching Lewis mountain campground I called to reserve a cabin and was glad I did. I was able to dry out all my gear and get a warm shower. The fog was so thick when I got there that I had to follow the road thru the campground cuz you couldn't see anything else ahead of you. After a nice warm night in the cabin I got a late start but managed to make another 15 miles even with a 11:00am start. The rain was on and off the next couple days but was bearable. I did only see one bear near the pinnacles but tons of deer all over. I also stayed at Loft mountain campground so I could enjoy a cold six pack around my campfire, other than that I was tenting and used 2 shelters. I did hit the wayside at Big Meadows and the tap room for some drafts. Thought that was cool that I was able to have cold beer on the trail. I had lunch at Skyland with a couple of thru hikers, snuggles and truckin, two cool girls.I also hit Elkwallow wayside but never got the milkshake, machines were broken at the 2 waysides I tried getting them at. On the 8th day I left the park and met my brother keystone(06) and Rapunzel(06) in Front Royal. We got a hotel and relaxed in comfort till 2:00 next day then pushed on toward Harpers Ferry. Jim and Molly Denton shelter was very cool, stayed there with several thru hikers. Did hit bears den for ice cream, awesome caretakers. Stayed at blackburn center's hostel during a stormy night which was well worth the hike down hill. It was pouring rain on us for over an hour on the ridge line with lightning hitting all around but I wanted to make it to blackburn center. We got there and no hikers were in the hostel so we had room to hang all our gear, start a fire in the wood burner and dry all our stuff and gear. The roller coaster was not too bad but is a pain in the butt and offers no views,well one view like 3 miles after Bears Den. Only had 2 ticks on me the whole trip but did use deet and treated clothes with permethrin. At the end I stayed at Front Royal hostel when I picked up my brothers car cuz it was too late to hit the road home. The owner, Grateful Greenpeace Guy was very cool and had let us park 2 cars there for the 2nd week of hiking. All in all it was a very cool trip and took 13 days and came home on day 14. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Downhill Trucker
06-14-2009, 14:55
Sly... sorry I never met up with you. I started right as the rain did and didnt make good time the first few days. When I got to Hightop I plugged in my cell for a weather report and found that two of my friends were looking for me in the park as one of my best friends had passed away two days prior. I met them at Swift Run Gap and we camped at Big Meadows that night before heading to the service the next day. Kinda a crappy way to end my trip but I was glad they came and that I had the oppurtunity to go to all of the services. I'll post a report of what I saw in the Southern end of the park that I did complete soon. Also have some awesome pics of a bear and two cubs that killed and ate a fawn about 50 yds from us at Big Meadows. Glad to hear you had a great trip!

Mocs123
06-14-2009, 15:13
I am leaving for my thru of SNP tomorrow. I am hoping to do it in 3.5 days. I have never done back to back 30 mile days before so we will see how it goes.

Lemni Skate
06-14-2009, 22:51
You won't get to stop and enjoy much at that pace.

johnnybgood
06-15-2009, 00:57
I am leaving for my thru of SNP tomorrow. I am hoping to do it in 3.5 days. I have never done back to back 30 mile days before so we will see how it goes.
What's the rush ? That's 3 thirty mile days.