shorts
light wool socks
bandana
optional-
ipod
bear spray

Quoddy
05-17-2009, 17:46
Way too much in the way of clothes, even for an E-2-E.
Note: Jeans are a poor option for long pants.
Drop the survival knife and carry a small one.
Use the stuff sack your food is in for a bear bag.
Drop the bear spray.
Add a couple of 20oz generic plastic drink bottles.
Add rain gear of some sort... at least a jacket or poncho.

warraghiyagey
05-17-2009, 17:48
Ditch the bear bag, wool sweater and long johns and find lighter layers. . . . other thhan that, pretty good. . .

warraghiyagey
05-17-2009, 17:49
and ditch the matches. . . bring a new lighter. . . it's all you'll need. . .

McKeever
05-17-2009, 17:51
kelty 4750 coyote pack
msr-whisper light stove (change to esbit or alky)
mess kit (al or ti pot or cup)
50' nylon cord (change to triptease)
bear bag (sil ny foodbag/bear bag)
survival knife (change to Victorinox signature led Classic)
water proof matches (only two w/birthday candle)
small emergency kit/first aid (minimal kit w/small ace bandange)
map/compass (omit compass unless clueless)
2 litre water bladder (two 1L water bottles and no tubes)
30 degree s/bag (synth bag or a quilt is lighter)
tent (tarp)
clothes-cold (yes)
warm shell jacket (yes, which is better than fleece)
wool sweater (no, light fleece w/insulated shell jacket)
longjohns (tights are better)
jeans/long pants (travel pants w/zip off legs)
heavy wool socks (skip the rag socks, use light merino)
fleece hat (yes, plus a ultralight balaclava)
warm-brisk weather
light wool sweater (no)
ems teckwick shirt (yes)
shorts (dual purpose travel pants w/zip legs)
light wool socks (walmart nylon socks for liners)
bandana (cut it in half from corner to corner)
optional-
ipod
bear spray (no)
(add home made windblock mittents)

warraghiyagey
05-17-2009, 17:51
You'll want at least 2 pairs of socks and 2 pars of sock liners. . . and NO JEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

McKeever
05-17-2009, 17:53
A book of matches with the front cover torn off is lighter....

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 17:58
jeans are bad i know,my knife goese everywhere with me,stuff sack is a bear bag,forget the wool ,can just bring a bigger jacket i guess

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 17:59
Rain gear i have in there just fail to mention it,i dont like water bottles,so im keeping my water bladder.

McKeever
05-17-2009, 18:00
Get rid of the big knife, you will not need it for anything.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:04
oh but i will,through my wilderness training course you always bring a fixed blade of some sort,its very very light.

McKeever
05-17-2009, 18:07
You're not being dropped off in the wilderness and do not need a fixed blade knife or the mentality that goes with it.
Frogg Toggs are good inexpensive rain gear and in most conditions you only have to carry the jacket.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:09
yeah i would only bring a jacket,but what do you mean mentality?

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:11
Either way,I'm going to tweek my list though,i can see that being higher wieght than i usually bring

McKeever
05-17-2009, 18:19
yeah i would only bring a jacket,but what do you mean mentality?

Your wilderness training will carry you far in life and everyone should be trained, but what you learn on the AT will carry you further.

McKeever
05-17-2009, 18:22
The gear part is one thing, but make sure you carry the data book pages, compaion book pages, and maps. I also carry the guide book pages and run into a lot of hikers that want to know more about their section, but are limited to just the Companion.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:29
yeah i carry my maps in the front pocket of my jacket,when worn and has a zipper,otherwise the maps,data books go up top on my pack,yeah the training is emergency,what i learn on the AT can be used everyday

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 18:46
Do i even need a tent? this tent is so heavy

Manwich
05-17-2009, 19:03
Why do you ask for advice when you try to rationalize your choices against our contradictions?

When are you going? Looks like you're prepared for January Weather.

You don't need a fixed blade knife. You're not setting up deadfalls to kill wild game, you won't be making spears or excising an abcess. You're putting one foot in front of the other and repeating. Every so often you'll have to set up a Tent, go to sleep, wake up and roll out of it. I'm sorry you bought the REALLY KEWL SURVIVAL KNIFE but sorry Dundee.

Bear spray is useful for when you see a bear and you want your eyes, skin and clothes to burn while the bear runs away once it realizes you're there anyway. These aren't grizzlies.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:06
Wow totem nice advice,your a great help,and i've taken alot of it in.im looking for a smaller knife,wooohooo.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:07
and bear spray is my confort thing so who care's if i bring it.it doesen't affect anyone if it on my belt or not,and it has a safety latch so no its not going to spray if i fall

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:08
when you deal with grizzlies you get a heighten awareness for bears.not my fault,but back to my last question do i even need a tent

Egads
05-17-2009, 19:28
Do i even need a tent? this tent is so heavy

Then carry a lighter tent. I recommend the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo or even a REI T1.

Tents are nice to have refuge from other hikers or bugs

vonfrick
05-17-2009, 19:33
does anyone else besides me think it's a bit to early and wet for the LT this week?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49393&highlight=mud+season

Ol Mole
05-17-2009, 19:33
A knife is a very personal item. It is a friend carried. Take the knife you feel at home with. If you read the posts, no two pack lists are identical, everyone carries something someone else sees no need for. I have carried a fixed blade for 50 years. There are many times a smaller knife would have worked, however there have been times that the fixed blade was the solution.

Happy trails

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:38
Oh im bringin my fixed blade knife,not a flimsy latch knife that will loosen come undone and cute me,the size of my knife is a tad bit bulky but ,i do not mind it

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:41
i just read the link vonfrick posted,There's snow? i mean am i going to be the only person? on this trail and i don't wanna hurt any plants or trails,is this a good i idea or not? i mean it's not to far from the weekend a couple days.

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 19:41
flashlight, if not mentioned yet

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:44
FLASHLIGHT!!!!!!!!!! i have a headlamp

vonfrick
05-17-2009, 19:44
i just read the link vonfrick posted,There's snow? i mean am i going to be the only person? on this trail and i don't wanna hurt any plants or trails,is this a good i idea or not? i mean it's not to far from the weekend a couple days.

many of the trails run through state land and may still be closed.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 19:48
FLASHLIGHT!!!!!!!!!! i have a headlamp
ok, good. I missed it on your list. I ended up hiking past sunset .

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 19:53
eh, ill figure something out maybe wait until the weekend? to go or just leave and see what happen s,the At open in vermont correct,so maybe ill hike to hanover

Manwich
05-17-2009, 19:56
do i even need a tent

you're kidding, right?

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 20:00
yes i didnt finish the sent,i meant if i can use a tarp instead,but im going to bring it

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 20:06
Well my ride to the trail head is set-up i hope i dont get there and the trail isn't open

McKeever
05-17-2009, 21:55
A knife is a very personal item. It is a friend carried. Take the knife you feel at home with. If you read the posts, no two pack lists are identical, everyone carries something someone else sees no need for. I have carried a fixed blade for 50 years. There are many times a smaller knife would have worked, however there have been times that the fixed blade was the solution.

Happy trails

I've been hiking the AT for 30 years and never needed a fixed blade.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 22:08
eh i like my knife,it is bulky though,

vonfrick
05-17-2009, 22:12
why take anything you don't really need?

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 22:16
if you really must know,just to make my life a living hell.

man2th
05-17-2009, 22:17
if you want a strong/lite fixed blade..look at the cold steel K4 neck knife 2.2 oz, 3.9 in sheath with lanyard, 4in blade with full tang. comes with serrated or plain blade

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 22:19
oh thanks man,ill check it out,I am in such a good mood because im going hiking for awhile

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 22:19
why take anything you don't really need?
I could say that about poles.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 22:21
modiyooch im so Freakin happy about this trip,seriously i really hope it goese well

modiyooch
05-17-2009, 22:23
maybe I'll see you out there later this summer. I too, can't wait to get out there. Have fun. You'll meet lots of people.

Alaskanhkr23
05-17-2009, 22:29
true thanks,hope to meet you,im alot cooler in person LMFAO!!

JAK
05-18-2009, 08:57
I would totally go with the wool sweater.
I think you are very close, except for the jeans.

Consider something like...

Normally hike in this:
Wool sweater (light to medium, loose)
Light boxers or briefs - 1 pair
Hiking shorts - breathable quick drying

Other layers normally carried:
rain shell
wind shell - unless rain shell will do, if in doubt bring both
light wool or fleece hat
light skin layer top
light skin layer bottoms
light wool socks - 2 pair
medium wool socks - 1 pair
plus 1 of the following, or maybe a or b plus c:
a. light hiking pants - good choice is bushwacking, not so neccessary in spring
b. light wind/rain shell pants
c. 100wt fleece bottoms

Other items to consider adding:
light neoprene socks - good for long walks in cold water
brimmed sun/rain/wind hat
wool necky
light mitts/gloves
bandana or wool scarf

Final Check:
Total weight in ounces = 85F - coldest temperatures possible
(not counting shells/hat/neoprene, maybe count half weight of hiking pants)

Hooch
05-18-2009, 09:24
Being a bit of a blade hound myself, I'm kinda interested in the posts about a fixed blade knife. I do agree that one should take whatever knife that they feel comfortable with. However, I don't think you should weigh yourself down with a Rambo First Blood type survival knife, either. My personal choice for a hiking knife is my RAT Cutlery Izula (http://www.ratcutlery.com/neck_knife.htm). It's listed as a neck knife, but doesn't necessarily have to be worn as such. I just cary the knife and sheath with me, I didn't even get the rest of the accessories that come with it. It can also easily be found on eBay for cheaper than the manufacturer sells it for on their website. Here's a couple shots of mine:
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo188/HoochNC/100_0483.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo188/HoochNC/100_0482.jpg

Alaskanhkr23
05-18-2009, 12:49
Where the best placement,For my outter shell jacket and Tent to be put in my Pack,having trouble getting them in there just right

mister krabs
05-18-2009, 13:11
My pack has a similar layout to yours, but I have no side pockets and almost always remove the top to save weight. I stuff my tent with no stuffsack in the front teardrop zip and I run my tent poles up the outside, with or without stuffsack, with the bottom in the mesh pocket and secured by the side compression straps. If they can slide behind your side pocket like a redwing, all the better. If they can't then you could sacrifice the pocket space or run them up the inside. I keep my jacket inside, but a side pocket would be handy for that or in the lid if you take it.

Gray Blazer
05-18-2009, 13:21
and ditch the matches. . . bring a new lighter. . . it's all you'll need. . .
Flints can get damp.

Alaskanhkr23
05-18-2009, 13:28
MIster crabs- yeah the poles i always put them on the side,When i use the compression straps to tighten my bag they,are also used to fix my pole's in place,Now the tent is quite large so,i cannot use my front pouch,what im going to do is....Roll the tent very tightly and uses suppression straps to hold it and just latch it on the top of my bag...

pedxing
05-18-2009, 17:09
Aside from some very basic items, your gear is like your footwear - it has to fit you and how you hike. Once I acheiveda a sane pack weight, the rest of my learning curve was about what fit me, the terrain I was hiking and how I wnted to hike. Everything should be worth its weight. If the knife is worth its weight for you - take it.

The advice here looks pretty good to me. Aside from not taking jeans (and cutting down or avoiding cotton overall) - I don't see much that is mandatory.

Some other thoughts:

The socks you need will depend on the footwear you take. Heavy tough boots warrant thick socks, trail runners only need thin light socks. I did the LT with light weight socs that weren't even ankle high and trail runners on my second trip.

Shelter, you may be able to stayin shelters every night. All you will need for shelter is a safetyoption - unless you want to avoid shelters, don't worry too much about comfort or bells and whistles. If you are leaving soon, you do need to worry about bugs. Built in netting will help with whatever shelter you use.