PDA

View Full Version : Kimsey Creek -> Long Branch route

kilroy
05-17-2009, 18:04
Hi all. Finally getting back on the trail after a two month (and two month too long) break!

My wife and I will be heading north from Dick's Creek Gap, eventually coming off the trail at Wallace gap.

Since we only have a limited amount of time I'm considering taking the Kimsey Creek side trail to Standing Indian and then the Long Branch Trail to Glassmine Gap as a short cut.

I'm having trouble finding good info on either of these trails, and most of what I've found is contradictory (e.g. "it's well marked and maintained" vs. "poorly marked, maintained, and confusing.")

Can someone provide up-to-date info and/or recommendations about this plan?

Thanks in advance!!!

Pokey2006
05-17-2009, 18:21
I recently hiked both these trails on a loop hike over Standing Indian and Albert. They're both well-marked and well-maintained at the present time. You'll have more elevation gain and loss than if you stayed on the AT, but the grade is fairly gentle. Some good campsites are on the Long Branch Trail -- one nice one in a field, and a couple a little further up along the creek.

Skidsteer
05-17-2009, 18:31
Hiking in that direction, I doubt you'll have any trouble. Some folks get turned around on the Kimsey Creek trail but usually while hiking from the campground up to Deep Gap.

The Long Branch trail is pretty straightforward hiked in either direction.

Here's a sketch Ron Haven did of the Kimsey Creek Trail:

http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1&pictureid=150

Pokey2006
05-17-2009, 18:39
The only confusing spot on the Kimsey Creek Trail for me was while still in the campground. From the parking area, it comes out to a road, then it's anyone's guess which way to go...but I managed to figure it out pretty quickly. Otherwise it was a fairly easy trail to follow.

Skidsteer
05-17-2009, 18:41
The only confusing spot on the Kimsey Creek Trail for me was while still in the campground. From the parking area, it comes out to a road, then it's anyone's guess which way to go...but I managed to figure it out pretty quickly. Otherwise it was a fairly easy trail to follow.

Yep, that's where most people get goofed up.

daddytwosticks
05-17-2009, 19:00
Kilroy..when are you leaving? I'm sarting nobo at Dick's Creek Gap Tuesday afternoon (19th) and going around the Standing Indian basin (via the AT) and ending by hiking down via Long Branch Trail. Should finish up late Friday afternoon. Maybe I'll see you all on the trail. Happy hiking. :)

Mongoose2
05-17-2009, 19:20
Last fall we hiked the lower rim trail up to the A.T. and then over to the Kimsey Creek Trail (KCT) and then back down to the park. The start of the KCT from the A.T. is not marked, and is overgrown with high weeds. The only way we found it was two hikers walked out of the brush. It is however, a very nice hike.

kilroy
05-17-2009, 22:23
Thanks for the responses everyone!

<b>daddytwosticks</b> We're actually not leaving Dick's Creek till either Thursday evening or Friday morning. But maybe we'll cross paths. Looks like we'll need to keep the rain shells handy, it's going to be a wet one.

stumpy
05-17-2009, 23:35
Yep, that's where most people get goofed up.

Been there, done that. The first time we hiked up that trail from the campground we messed up there. We followed the creek (Kimsey CREEK trail) but should not have:-?. We eventually wound up on Deep Gap road and walked up the gap.

MintakaCat
05-18-2009, 05:35
The start of the KCT from the A.T. is not marked,

It was marked when I was up there three weeks ago. I took this photo at Deep Gap.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3663/3541392061_4657222c20.jpg?v=0

Just go beyond an area that people camp at (northwest of the gap parking lot) and the trail picks up there and starts down the mountain.

That trail can be tricky. A friend of mine up there told me that a little over a month ago and older man and his grandson got lost on that trail going down the mountain from Deep Gap. My friend helped in trying to find them, which they did at around 2AM on an old logging road in the woods. They had built a fire to stay warm and were okay.

Summit
05-18-2009, 07:17
Just finished doing both trails this weekend. From Deep Gap, to the left is a gravel road down to overparking area. A few feet down it you'll see the Kimsey Creek trail on the right. After a mile or so you'll come to the same NFSR that goes to Deep Gap. Stay along the gravel pull-out to the end of it and you'll see the trail goes off to the right again. You won't see a blue blaze until you go down it a bit.

Near the end of the trail (3rd large clearing) look to the left and there are two blue blazes. That is the continuation of the Kimsey Creek Trail but adds about a mile to the hike. Most folks who know the trail keep going straight where in 100 yds you cross a stream and another 100 yds pop out into the upper part of the campground. As you enter the main campground keep working toward the left, cross the main bridge on the campground road and the blue blazed backcountry parking trail is on your right. Take that up to the Backcountry parking lot and across from the parking area (slightly to your right) is the Long Branch Trail. I love the Long Branch Trail and there is great camping spots in 'the field' and a little further just before the short, steep climb up to Glassmine Gap. Hope this helps.

kilroy
06-04-2009, 22:01
Hey everyone, sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. Thanks to everyone who responded. We found Kimsey Creek trail without a problem (despite a truck being parked in front of it lol).

Honestly, I think it was probably one of the most beautiful sections of trail I've ever hiked. We ended up Yellow-blazing from the campground rather than taking Long Branch but it was a great hike!