PDA

View Full Version : My kids first overnight hike

bullseye
05-17-2009, 21:24
My kids finally decided they want to go on an overnight with dear old dad:D. The plan is to park at Elkwallow and hike NOBO to Gravel Springs Hut, and back the next day. My question is how buggy is the tentsite at Gravel Springs hut usually in mid June. There are 6 of us going (4 kids, 2 adults) and i'd like to tarp if it's possible, instead of lugging around tents for 6. My hikes through the park have been in the cooler seasons when bugs aren't an issue.

Bootstrap
05-18-2009, 11:53
Congrats! Tell us how it goes!

10-K
05-21-2009, 20:29
My kids finally decided they want to go on an overnight with dear old dad:D. The plan is to park at Elkwallow and hike NOBO to Gravel Springs Hut, and back the next day. My question is how buggy is the tentsite at Gravel Springs hut usually in mid June. There are 6 of us going (4 kids, 2 adults) and i'd like to tarp if it's possible, instead of lugging around tents for 6. My hikes through the park have been in the cooler seasons when bugs aren't an issue.

Gravel Springs hut does have some nice tent sites, both up a hill from the shelter and directly behind it. (Fast flowing creek in front of the shelter too)

Personally, I was not bothered but the bugs but there were 2 guys at the shelter who felt the need to light a fire to run the gnats off.

(Edited to say: I might have confused Pinefield hut with Gravel Springs...)

bullseye
06-22-2009, 17:51
Now that all the graduation parties and b-day parties are over I finally had time to post about our trip.

It was my son Kevin's 1st overnight on the AT, so I picked Shenandoah b/c of the good views and easy treadway. My buddy Jack joined us, along with his son Connor. We did an easy out and back from Elkwallow to Gravel Springs hut.

June 13 was Kevin's birthday and my wife was gracious enough to let me take him hiking. Saturday was overcast and humid, and I must say I felt like I had been in a swimming pool by the time we reached GS hut. If it weren't for the breeze it would have been pretty bad. As it was the trail was easy and the boys were having fun (the dads too).

While we were taking a break at the 4th peak of Hogback I heard a rock turn over ahead on the trail and went to investigate. Just as I suspected, a very large bear about 75 feet away. Man was I stoked, since this was my 1st bear in 20 years of sectioning the AT! That really made my day.

Later, as we descended the switchbacks approaching Hogback overlook the 2 boys poured it on, leaving the "old heads" behind. Ahh, to be 9 again (actually just to have that kind of energy again:D).

Eventually we made our way to GS hut and since the tentsites were full, the hut was barely occupied and it was going to thunderstorm later we decided to sleep in the shelter. After dinner all the hikers in attendance sang Happy Birthday to Kevin and shared in the mini brownie cupcakes I brought for everyone.

The rain rolled through (I love the sound of rain on a tin roof) with a little lightning and thunder, and eventually the rained ended around 3am I think. Anyhow Sunday was clear, with no humidity. Our trip back was some of the nicest hiking I could have asked for. Nice temps, and a comfortable breeze. I paid the boys back on the climb up the switchbacks on Hogback, since I actually enjoy climbing instead of going downhill. Showed 'em the old man ain't dead yet:rolleyes:!

Anyway, we had a great time and the Blackberry milkshakes at Elkwallow were awesome.

Here's a video of the trip: https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Outdoor_Adventures.html#Shenadoah_June_14,_2009

Jayboflavin04
06-23-2009, 10:57
Thanks for the post! I am working on a trip for me and my 8 year old boy!

ki0eh
06-23-2009, 11:53
We were out over the 13th-14th for an overnight on the A.T. as well, from 183 to 501 in PA staying at the Hertlein campsite. One 6 year old girl and one nearly 6 year old girl in the 5 of us going 8 miles. (We took a short cut on day 2 on a "manway" - although they don't seem to use that term up here.)

Glowsticks and a Firefly are good substitutes for a rained-out campfire. Guess it's a good thing I hauled in the six-man Coleman tent. (I couldn't bear to weigh the pack. :D )

We encountered about a dozen NOBO thru-hikers in total, more women than men which was good for our little girls to see. My daughter asked who was the first "girl" to thru-hike so we asked the thru-hikers that. One approaching the 501 Shelter said "Grandma Gatewood" which seems to be right according to the Internet later. (Though the thru said 1968, seems like GG's first was earlier than that.)

Our little girl didn't like the rocks. Not that she had a problem hopping from rock to rock, but the rocks had SPIDERS in them! :O

bullseye
06-23-2009, 17:13
Thanks for the post! I am working on a trip for me and my 8 year old boy!

Six miles each day seemed to be a good distance for my son's 1st 2 day. Of course every child is different, but after hiking 6 miles my son was done hiking for the day, even though he and his friend had plenty of energy to run around camp for a while:D! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

We were out over the 13th-14th for an overnight on the A.T. as well, from 183 to 501 in PA staying at the Hertlein campsite. One 6 year old girl and one nearly 6 year old girl in the 5 of us going 8 miles. (We took a short cut on day 2 on a "manway" - although they don't seem to use that term up here.)

Glowsticks and a Firefly are good substitutes for a rained-out campfire. Guess it's a good thing I hauled in the six-man Coleman tent. (I couldn't bear to weigh the pack. :D )

We encountered about a dozen NOBO thru-hikers in total, more women than men which was good for our little girls to see. My daughter asked who was the first "girl" to thru-hike so we asked the thru-hikers that. One approaching the 501 Shelter said "Grandma Gatewood" which seems to be right according to the Internet later. (Though the thru said 1968, seems like GG's first was earlier than that.)

Our little girl didn't like the rocks. Not that she had a problem hopping from rock to rock, but the rocks had SPIDERS in them! :O

Funny thing, we almost bagged Shenandoah due to the weather forecast (didn't want to rain out the boys 1st trip), and were considering doing the same section you did. That's another nice easy section for new hikers. A few good views too.

ki0eh
06-23-2009, 19:27
Funny thing, we almost bagged Shenandoah due to the weather forecast (didn't want to rain out the boys 1st trip), and were considering doing the same section you did. That's another nice easy section for new hikers. A few good views too.

Hmm, I kinda wish you had then!! ;):D We have tried and tried and seemingly failed to get other parents and young kids in our area out with us even on dayhikes. So, alas, I'm increasingly sure that hiking is "something Mommy and Daddy do" to our little one...

bullseye
06-23-2009, 19:56
Hmm, I kinda wish you had then!! ;):D We have tried and tried and seemingly failed to get other parents and young kids in our area out with us even on dayhikes. So, alas, I'm increasingly sure that hiking is "something Mommy and Daddy do" to our little one...

Next hike I do with the kids I'll give you a yell.

fancyfeet
06-23-2009, 19:56
Great video!

bullseye
06-23-2009, 19:58
Thanks. I have DSL so it only took me 12 hours to download it to youtube:D!

fancyfeet
06-23-2009, 20:04
Thanks. I have DSL so it only took me 12 hours to download it to youtube:D!

You must be related to the Slowsky's. :D

Don't feel bad, though, my sister's still on dial-up. :eek:

I have free Wi Fi (spoiled!).